Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I did some rough math today and Xiao looks like he'll do similar damage to C6 Noelle assuming they both have BP weapons. Give them both 5* weapons and Xiao is way, way ahead (Xiao is also extremely better when not ulting). Noelle is carried hard by BP claymore, 4-piece gladiator being so amazing for her, and to a smaller extent her 3 talent level advantage on her ult from C5.

I think they're kind of similar characters in terms of playstyle so were worth comparing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

gandlethorpe posted:

Some interesting research on reaction mechanics (the section called "Elemental Gauge"):
https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/l5ip9y/3_levels_of_elemental_reactions_indepth_guide_for/

This explains why I've always felt like the 2x reactions were harder to use effectively. Turns out it's because it actually is harder to consistently set them up.

Also nice knowing how Chongyun's being able to triple proc a multiplication reaction is pretty much a trick exclusive to him at the moment.

This reminds me that I really need to sit down and figure out how to weave Benny into the attack cycle I use for my freeze comp so I can get Big Melt Damage. He's already on the team and everything, but I usually only trot him out to heal and melt cryo shields.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

No Wave posted:

I did some rough math today and Xiao looks like he'll do similar damage to C6 Noelle assuming they both have BP weapons. Give them both 5* weapons and Xiao is way, way ahead (Xiao is also extremely better when not ulting). Noelle is carried hard by BP claymore, 4-piece gladiator being so amazing for her, and to a smaller extent her 3 talent level advantage on her ult from C5.

I think they're kind of similar characters in terms of playstyle so were worth comparing.

The more I keep hearing about Xiao The more I'm hoping I somehow hit Ganyu this week against all odds. I have Childe and Diluc, so I don't necessarily need another greedy character. Though I suppose I could wait and roll on the Kecqng banner. I don't have five star weapons nor would I roll on the weapon banner over the main banner. so if I could just get the same DPS out of a character I already have, Xiao doesn't have a cool enough gimmick to pull for.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my new reason for wanting Xiao is so i can fling losers 10ft into the air with his charged attack

though i'd also prefer he take my Spine because it's less satisfying to run on Zhongli than Favonius

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xiao also has factors that he can cheese content very uniquely because no one else has a high double jump at command that's fast and spammable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Saxophone posted:

The more I keep hearing about Xiao The more I'm hoping I somehow hit Ganyu this week against all odds. I have Childe and Diluc, so I don't necessarily need another greedy character. Though I suppose I could wait and roll on the Kecqng banner. I don't have five star weapons nor would I roll on the weapon banner over the main banner. so if I could just get the same DPS out of a character I already have, Xiao doesn't have a cool enough gimmick to pull for.
I should elaborate, that's my very rough math. I could be off by as much as 30%, I'm not that familiar with how to map Xiao's attack string to Noelle's and atk substats are more meaningful on Xiao than either DEF or ATK are on Noelle which can push him ahead. Xiao's also more likely to get a more optimal artifact set in the future as Gladiator is basically ideal for Noelle as is.

I have to imagine we'll be getting much better electro carries than Keqing in the not too distant future.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

No Wave posted:

This seems pretty bad, considering how selfish Xiao is? It's not like Noelle's damage is considered that great, either.

I guess I should start looking at some more leaks because I thought he looked neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gandlethorpe posted:

Some interesting research on reaction mechanics (the section called "Elemental Gauge"):
https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/l5ip9y/3_levels_of_elemental_reactions_indepth_guide_for/

This explains why I've always felt like the 2x reactions were harder to use effectively. Turns out it's because it actually is harder to consistently set them up.

Also nice knowing how Chongyun's being able to triple proc a multiplication reaction is pretty much a trick exclusive to him at the moment.

My big takeaway from this is that Amber is twice as good at applying elements (ie: breaking shields) as other archers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

shimmy shimmy posted:

This seems pretty bad, considering how selfish Xiao is? It's not like Noelle's damage is considered that great, either.

I guess I should start looking at some more leaks because I thought he looked neat.
C6 Noelle is really good, and I'm assuming 100% ult uptime for both. I don't think any other character (besides ganyu) can compare to an ulted C6 Noelle counting zero reactions and only using 4 star weapons, her base stats are too crazy. She scales pretty poorly going from 4* weapon to 5* weapon though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 27, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Clarste posted:

My big takeaway from this is that Amber is twice as good at applying elements (ie: breaking shields) as other archers.

More than that actually. I think her charged shot does 50% of a Cryo Fatui's shield (like Bennett's press E), but Diona's does less than 25% of an Electro's.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

More than that actually. I think her charged shot does 50% of a Cryo Fatui's shield (like Bennett's press E), but Diona's does less than 25% of an Electro's.

Well I just meant from the numbers on that chart, which has her at 2U. I guess it does not mention exactly how Us convert into shield damage.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I wonder if there's any correlation between the gauge and how long a cryo character can keep water frozen.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Scratch that. Diona (and Ganyu) do 25%, although Diona seems to have an internal cooldown, so not every shot works if you do it as quickly as possible.

To complicate things, Fischl's takes 5 charged shots to remove a Hydro Fatui's shield, and each one ticks twice (electrocharged).

Tartaglia does seem to do 25% too, but ends up only need 3 shots because of Riptide. Seems in general 1U is about 25% of a shield, and 2U is 50%.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You have to factor in the electro tax.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Xiao looks meh, but so did Ganyu right up until they released her with big numbers. Since Mihoyo seems to be sticking with their current reactions model it's likely Xiao is going to follow suit. If he doesn't then that's more gems to save up for future Venti I guess.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Xiao is just Estinien from FFXIV but somehow even more of an rear end in a top hat and also anime.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
they seem nothing alike except for both being dragoons

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, Estinien is cool and good and Xiao is not.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also Estinien was already very anime in the first place.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

My big takeaway is that if you're quick, Amber is great enabler for Ganyu, since her single charged shot can proc four melts on an enemy if you can fire two blooms with Ganyu within six seconds from the shot (which is doable and you have .8 second leeway) and this has no "you need to get close" downside the other pyro enablers have. Time to level Amber some more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't believe that Amber is the best archer and has always been the best archer.

Edit: Also, wouldn't you only need to get one shot off in 6 seconds? It says a 2U application will lose 1 charge every 6 seconds. I assume a single Ganyu shot would proc the reaction twice (for 0.5 each), although I guess I don't actually know how her ICD works.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 27, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

My big takeaway is that if you're quick, Amber is great enabler for Ganyu, since her single charged shot can proc four melts on an enemy if you can fire two blooms with Ganyu within six seconds from the shot (which is doable and you have .8 second leeway) and this has no "you need to get close" downside the other pyro enablers have. Time to level Amber some more.

Just tried in game. Quad melt is really hard to pull off, but triple (bloom + regular charge) is pretty easy to do consistently. I tested this versus a Ruin Guard, though, so it might be way less practical against smaller and faster things.

Here I did two blooms, but the second one only melted the initial hit.
https://i.imgur.com/9orcVU9.mp4
If you use Baron Bunny, it might be easier since you can pre-charge. But then you're using Baron Bunny.

I think the real issue though is that, as fun as big numbers are, Ganyu might be better off continuously attacking rather than wasting time trying to pull off combos.

Clarste posted:

Also, wouldn't you only need to get one shot off in 6 seconds? It says a 2U application will lose 1 charge every 6 seconds. I assume a single Ganyu shot would proc the reaction twice (for 0.5 each), although I guess I don't actually know how her ICD works.

Once you proc a reaction, the remaining "aura" has a greatly reduced duration.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Ha this is funny. And then after you proc a couple reverse melts with Ganyu you leave Cryo up on the target and can proc a full melt with Amber after swapping again.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

funkymonks posted:

Ha this is funny. And then after you proc a couple reverse melts with Ganyu you leave Cryo up on the target and can proc a full melt with Amber after swapping again.

Ah, that didn't even cross my mind! Lol imagine leveling up Amber. ...Kinda makes me want to level up Amber.

It's actually perfect, because that lets her run Instructor to keep a near constant +120 EM on the team, increasing both of their melt numbers!

Yesterday I was looking at who I wanted to level up for their standard wishes. This might've sold me on ascending Amber.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There is no way I am going to level up Amber :colbert: while I still need to level up Albedo and Noelle.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

funkymonks posted:

A highly invested Amber/Ganyu team sitting on top of a Benny aura would definitely do some damage. Whether it's worth enough to swap out Ganyu frequently, and if not then what about at C3/4 Amber... will require whale testing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Ah, that didn't even cross my mind! Lol imagine leveling up Amber. ...Kinda makes me want to level up Amber.

It's actually perfect, because that lets her run Instructor to keep a near constant +120 EM on the team, increasing both of their melt numbers!

Yesterday I was looking at who I wanted to level up for their standard wishes. This might've sold me on ascending Amber.

Clarste posted:

I can't believe that Amber is the best archer and has always been the best archer.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I have C2 Amber but yall can get hosed if you think I'm using her even for science.

If you timed Baron Bunny right, you could probably toss it out, swap to Ganyu and Melt several times, leaving Cryo on just in time for Baron Bunny to explode. With C2 you could do a manual detonation for more damage though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Relevant to Amber discussion:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/l5l13t/amber_may_not_be_s_tier_but_baron_bunny_is_lvl_90/

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Man, that cryo/hydro domain drop rate is loving cursed for me

I get like 90% hydro and the cyro stuff is always trash, I just want some good pieces for Ganyu :negative:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-Tr-sSoCs

Xiao story trailer, those are some cool designs

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
There were five of them? Shame they had to kill the rest off, we could use more characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One went missing so they're holding onto that option at least.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the other survivor is named Bosacius and is briefly mentioned in The Yaksha's Wish quest. I wonder which one they are?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-Tr-sSoCs

Xiao story trailer, those are some cool designs
I have no-guarantee pity coming up next so I better not loving spend 50 + 50🐋 rolls to not get Venti's husband :shepface:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I have no-guarantee pity coming up next so I better not loving spend 50 + 50🐋 rolls to not get Venti's husband :shepface:

You gotta he needs that sweet flute music

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Clarste posted:

I'm hoping there'll be a story arc involving their masks and different characters can take up the mantle over time

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Got an interesting Wanderer's set feather from Andrius today that has potential. Big risk with that flat defense stat mixed in, but having 4 substats to start with is nice.

Who is good with Wanderer's set? Anemo people generally want VV so it doesn't make much sense on them I don't think.

edit: Leveled it to 16, could have been worse - every substat got one upgrade, with 6.6% crit rate and 12.4% crit damage.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 27, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Klee or Ganyu

Comedy option: Amber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I use 2 pieces of it on a couple of supports that I haven't farmed full sets for: fischl, XQ, and XL. I don't know what point 80 EM is more/less beneficial than 18% attack, but good gladiator pieces are stretched thin right now. I've just found so many wanderer pieces from killing world bosses. I found this last week:

there are worse things than 80 EM on an elemental damage support, right? :shrug: