Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apocalypse is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man, Chimera squad showing up with no warning and being that good at launch was surreal.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Every XCOM fan should try out Troubleshooters. It's a great take on the genre and if you liked Chimera Squad's combat you'd like Troubleshooters' if you're fine with some anime story and a small bit of indie jank.

It's about the cost of Chimera Squad but like the length and expansiveness of the main XCOM games. I'm 120 hours in and I'm still getting new systems to learn about. It does the difficulty curve better than XCOM too IMO since the enemies also escalate in bullshit the same amount as you. So you're still gonna be challenged even with your super OP units, but not to the extent that you don't feel powerful.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do not player Interceptor. I enjoyed both olde X-com and old space sims, and it was absolutely unworthy of both worlds and worse than the sum of it's parts. The base building/interception is an inoffensive affair strongly reminiscent of the first two games, and that's it. The actual combat flights are hugely un-fun, and when combined the end result is "Why am I playing this again?"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Every XCOM fan should try out Troubleshooters. It's a great take on the genre and if you liked Chimera Squad's combat you'd like Troubleshooters' if you're fine with some anime story and a small bit of indie jank

I liked troubleshooter too but let's get real: the jank levels are substantial.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I kinda like Enforcer. Don't @ me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

John Murdoch posted:

I kinda like Enforcer. Don't @ me.

Enforcer is the third person shooter right? Speaking of that, was XCom Bureau Declassifed any good? All I’ve heard about it is that it’s a cheap Mass Effect knock off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's fine. Fun little shooter, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apocalypse is fine, it just shows a bit too much of what was on the planning table but never implemented. And the combat is... well we've all seen the gif

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of that, was XCom Bureau Declassifed any good? All I’ve heard about it is that it’s a cheap Mass Effect knock off.

I got it as a free Mass Effect knock off and didn't play more than an hour. Buggy console port.

e: I wouldn't say it was bad, just dull.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Best Friends posted:

I liked troubleshooter too but let's get real: the jank levels are substantial.

Eh, at launch probably, but they've been making a lot of the jank better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Enforcer is ridiculous and kinda funny. It's not a fantastic game, but it's not an awful one, either. It's just a silly little :krad: over-the-top shooter with reasonably decent gameplay.

Of particular note is a single, endearingly bizarre design decision: the eponymous Enforcer is a robot, and speaks in an appropriately emotionless synth voice, but its creators apparently programmed it to drop sick burns and one-liners. To this day, whenever someone mentions that game, I immediately hear "get off my planet :geno:" in my head

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

chaosapiant posted:

Enforcer is the third person shooter right? Speaking of that, was XCom Bureau Declassifed any good? All I’ve heard about it is that it’s a cheap Mass Effect knock off.

It's an XCOM game in writing, not mechanics. It plays a lot like Mass Effect, yes, but I'd argue that it's actually better at it than Mass Effect just because it keeps itself focused better. ME3, at least. But I'd argue ME2's action is better than ME3 so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask. It suffers from the same downfalls in the design, though; levels feel like a Double Dare course more than a battlefield or a scene, the shooting and powers are polished to a mirror sheen but very samey after the first couple of hours, allies are dumbasses but you're shoved into relying on them due to the design. But the levels are focused enough that these problems are never insurmountable or unignorable.

The writing in it is actually super loving good and very effective. I largely consider the gameplay to be a way to make you engage with the story, which is actually kind of important. I don't recommend watching an LP of it because you won't have the level of ownership that makes a lot of the high writing points hit home.

Play it one easy or normal, though, depending on how drunk you wanna be when you play or how bad you are at shooters. Hard mode overtunes the game to an obnoxious degree and it's not interesting.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The premise/twist of The Bureau was cool, but otherwise it was kind of forgettable. It felt like it never really fit into the XCOM history either, as much as there was ever one. Maybe it could’ve done better as spy-vs-spy or a wayyyy up-cycled version of Among Us? Idk, I played through almost to the end and lost interest just before the final boss fight (I think?).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Enforcer is ridiculous and kinda funny. It's not a fantastic game, but it's not an awful one, either. It's just a silly little :krad: over-the-top shooter with reasonably decent gameplay.

Yup. It's basically on the same general wavelength as those Alien Shooter games. Nothing super clever or compelling, just alright enough mindless shooting with funky guns and lite RPG mechanics. (Alien Shooter almost certainly holds up better, admittedly.)

Otoh, I 100% unironically love The Bureau and think it's drat solid. Especially considering the amount of development hell it went through.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What’s been good on the XCOM2 mod front lately?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

What’s been good on the XCOM2 mod front lately?

I've been playing a lot of Long War of the Chosen because recently there's been a spate of really interesting mods for it. Like a Playable Aliens version with 10 distinct aliens and play styles including Berserkers and Archons. Or an update of the MEC trooper mod that gives them all distinct perk trees and integrates with Iridar's recent huge SPARK Arsenal so they can carry flamethrowers, EMP pulses, a Templar Gremlin MEC that has a bunch of Patchwork's perks from Chimera Squad etc.

Heavily personally also modded a bunch of poo poo out of Long War or toned it down as well. It's been really fun.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Yeah things have mostly been quiet on the mod front in general, mostly a few cosmetics/voice packs. The last big thing was I think a WOTC version of XSkin? Which allows you to set skins for singular individual weapons for the true soldier barbie experience.

Other than that, I've been enjoying 'rescue denmother' and the Jane Kelly starting soldier with the proficiency pack addon. It basically adds 2 canon characters as playable with unique classes.

I am finding that I enjoy the proficiency class pack more than I thought I would, or at least the bits I've kept around.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone else experienced an issue where you've been playing with a controller, and suddenly when you launch the game it refuses to detect said controller? No changes occurred to the system between sessions as far as I know, and I've tried reseating the wireless dongle, messing with Steam's controller settings (which do detect my gamepad), and reinstalling drivers, but nothing has worked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

Has anyone else experienced an issue where you've been playing with a controller, and suddenly when you launch the game it refuses to detect said controller? No changes occurred to the system between sessions as far as I know, and I've tried reseating the wireless dongle, messing with Steam's controller settings (which do detect my gamepad), and reinstalling drivers, but nothing has worked.

Triple check that you have it set to forced off in steams controller settings because I’ve had that problem a lot and that’s always been the culprit.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Triple check that you have it set to forced off in steams controller settings because I’ve had that problem a lot and that’s always been the culprit.

Checked again, and it looks correct:

XCOM 2 still has the input choices grayed out and locked to Mouse, though. It'd be one thing if Steam didn't detect a controller, but this is just... baffling :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

Checked again, and it looks correct:

XCOM 2 still has the input choices grayed out and locked to Mouse, though. It'd be one thing if Steam didn't detect a controller, but this is just... baffling :psyduck:

Have you tried disconnecting whatever the vJoy device is? Maybe that’s overriding something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whenever I have my HOTAS plugged in, a lot of games won’t see my Xbox controller.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Have you tried disconnecting whatever the vJoy device is? Maybe that’s overriding something.

chaosapiant posted:

Whenever I have my HOTAS plugged in, a lot of games won’t see my Xbox controller.

This was it! Disabled that device and suddenly XCOM detects my controller. Thanks all, time to get shot to pieces by ADVENT!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

On XCOM likes, anyone tried Invisible Inc? Seems to have good steam reviews

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Best Friends posted:

It's really good but it's a stealth rougelite through and through, not really an XCOM like

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I've played it! Its pretty fun. The campaign is a little limited, and its more tactical problemsolving. Definite end to it; rescuing people is neat.

I'm not sure how the dlc changes things, but i kept meaning to revisit and never quite found the time to get around to that.

Its pretty fun, and sorta reminded me of there came an echo(aesthetically), only more turn based.

Invisible inc is pretty good for the price. Would recommend

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Can second on "it's good, but not an XCOM-like".

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Into the Breach?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

raverrn posted:

Into the Breach?

drat good. It's a lot of fun making the bad guys hurt themselves and every map is five turns so it doesn't get bloated like xcom can.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Every XCOM fan should try out Troubleshooters. It's a great take on the genre and if you liked Chimera Squad's combat you'd like Troubleshooters' if you're fine with some anime story and a small bit of indie jank.

It's about the cost of Chimera Squad but like the length and expansiveness of the main XCOM games. I'm 120 hours in and I'm still getting new systems to learn about. It does the difficulty curve better than XCOM too IMO since the enemies also escalate in bullshit the same amount as you. So you're still gonna be challenged even with your super OP units, but not to the extent that you don't feel powerful.

This is like the third wringing endorsement I've seen on the forums for this game so I suppose I will finally relent and play it

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 6, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is like the third wringing endorsement I've seen on the forums for this game so I suppose I will finally relent and play it

Counterpoint - the tutorial crashes when I try to play it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

This game is impossible

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drunken officeparty posted:

This game is impossible

I thought the same at first but it’s just expecting different poo poo from you than other strategy games and adjusting is half the battle.

E: me five years ago:

I just got this, and god drat, it's much harder than the original. You can do cooler poo poo, though. I just had to extract a prisoner, and instead of going and hacking his door, I went into the building and blew out the wall of his cell with grenadiers, and it was just a one-turn run to the pickup point.

I just wish the avatar project didn't tick up so fast, I like getting to stay and play.

Also there's a shitload of random events. Trying to do a five-day scan feels like it takes a three weeks of Enemy Unknown game time just because I get interrupted every twelve seconds.

The difficulty curve almost feels like Long War. Not quite "Ha, a drone will squad wipe you because flying beats all your cover and makes me hard to hit" hard, but it expects that you beat Classic Ironman already. I have had to do a fair bit of savescumming at this point

You have to fight dirty, plan around hit and run, and have an SSD.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 6, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Aside from the actual missions being impossibly hard, it throws things at me then I’m like okay lets do that then it goes

:siren: RED ALERT YOU loving IDIOT YOU DONT HAVE TIME!!! SEE THIS RED BAR?? WE JUST MADE IT REDDER. HOLY gently caress DO THIS THING INSTEAD NO WAIT ACTUALLY THIS ONE WHY HAVE YOU NOT DONE THIS YET FUCKFACE :siren:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, I want to like xcom2 a ton more than i actually do. The actual missions and things are great, but the strategic layer is just a nonstop stress ball that hinders my joy of the thing. I find myself going to EU when I have the XCOM itch.

Or Chimera Squad. Goddamn that game was stupidly fun and released at just the right time at bargain bin pricing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aside from the actual missions being impossibly hard, it throws things at me then I’m like okay lets do that then it goes

:siren: RED ALERT YOU loving IDIOT YOU DONT HAVE TIME!!! SEE THIS RED BAR?? WE JUST MADE IT REDDER. HOLY gently caress DO THIS THING INSTEAD NO WAIT ACTUALLY THIS ONE WHY HAVE YOU NOT DONE THIS YET FUCKFACE :siren:

What difficulty are you playing on?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Honestly I find 2’s doom meter way less stressful that EWs. Having to balance days and income vs strategic gains was way harder imo. I’m not denigrating your experience tho. I can see how it puts the pressure on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

For me the big difference is that EU hands you a discrete choice of 3 rewards and you pick one, whereas 2 just continuously dumps things needing your attention knowing you can't do them all.

It probably helps that the first time I beat eu on ironman I accidentally killed my a team and found out just how lenient the game is atop a pile of 50 or so dead rookies until a sniper survived long enough to carry a few survivors to end game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ever since I played pikmin 1 as a child part of my brain was permanently reshaped to love doom clocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

This game is impossible

noob