Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

classic moma

Screw MoMA for being a smug douche but honestly I have no trouble believing that they've got some faked-together vertical slice video that they trot out for super-secret investors or tourists or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
he was an employee

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

so at this point is Star Citizen more or less successful than the F-35 program?

F-35 is a fully operational program bombing America's enemies as we speak, and have been since 2018. It's not even close.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Star Citizen is more like the Grumman X-29 program except if they'd crowdfunded it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Citizen is The Pentagon Wars' Bradley Fighting Vehicle

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

he was an employee Derek Smart account

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020

Jonny Nox posted:

F-35 is a fully operational program bombing America's enemies as we speak, and have been since 2018. It's not even close.

Star Citizen is a non-operational program that bombs. Pretty close.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gravity_Storm posted:

Star Citizen is more like the Grumman X-29 program except if they'd crowdfunded it

??

X-29 was rad as hell. Quite unlike SC they made a practical test bed to explore specific things like extreme fwd sweep on a wing and went on to be the first supersonic aircraft with that type of wing. It used the entire front end of an F5 (cockpit/landing gear etc) and the landing gear and a bunch of poo poo from F-16. It conducted a successful test regime of hundreds of flights over and advanced aeronautical engineering and flight control systems and composite structure understanding in a bunch of ways.

It didn't prove to allow greater maneuverability from it's purposely unstable design but it answered that and a lot of other questions. I fail to see how they two are remotely similar, it was a viable and worthy addition to the family of X-planes that each added their own bits knowledge to specific corner case regimes of flight. The data generated from this program is responsible for the advancement of aviation as a whole. It was never intended as a production aircraft, same as any other X-Planes they are all research machines that inform future aircraft production and other industries too.

What am I missing here?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/683ZUG2.mp4

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

jarlywarly posted:

Star National: La Disparition

I was not expecting a Perec joke here. :golfclap:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It's like a perfect microcosm of the CIG development method.

Other games: background NPC's are props and we dress them in just enough detail that they look good at a short glance

CIG first: "The bartender will be angry today because he got stopped by police on his way to work, which we simulate, and he will show you this through different words and actions for every emotional state! This will take thousands of man hours to create, not be noticeably different from the standard result, and actively get in the way of the player who just wants to refill his thirst meter or whatever!"

CIG later: "Well it took 8 years but here's the bartender! He very slowly makes drinks, and remembers what you order, sometimes! What? Emotional states? Who said anything about that? This is just tier zero. No, it doesn't apply to any other NPC in the game- we said bartender, very specifically in our original pitch. You must have misinterpreted that to mean ALL the npc's! We just spent 8 years on this one guy, for no real reason, and now he's done but not really so stop asking questions, we're not working on him anymore unless you dislike it in which case we are secretly still working on him.'

You missed out:

Currently playable: NPC stands locked in place motionless at coffee stand that looks straight out of Second Life circa 2002. Stares straight ahead and repeatedly shouts one of three stock phrases at you regardless of what you do.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

classic moma

March 2018

Feb 2017

Nov 2016

Also someone said MoMA is Toast.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
MoMa is the prophet SC deserves.

Even though it was probably a gimmick account.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ew kitty no

Nah, SC is Su-57 in terms of aircrafts. Delays in development, "crowdfunded" by other countries untill they pulled out, it has or had poor engine and for an alleged stealth fighter, it isn't very stealthy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Thoatse posted:

??

X-29 was rad as hell. Quite unlike SC they made a practical test bed to explore specific things like extreme fwd sweep on a wing and went on to be the first supersonic aircraft with that type of wing. It used the entire front end of an F5 (cockpit/landing gear etc) and the landing gear and a bunch of poo poo from F-16. It conducted a successful test regime of hundreds of flights over and advanced aeronautical engineering and flight control systems and composite structure understanding in a bunch of ways.

It didn't prove to allow greater maneuverability from it's purposely unstable design but it answered that and a lot of other questions. I fail to see how they two are remotely similar, it was a viable and worthy addition to the family of X-planes that each added their own bits knowledge to specific corner case regimes of flight. The data generated from this program is responsible for the advancement of aviation as a whole. It was never intended as a production aircraft, same as any other X-Planes they are all research machines that inform future aircraft production and other industries too.

What am I missing here?

You failed to note that it looked drat loving sexy, and in a better world it would have served alongside the XB-70

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kesper North posted:

You failed to note that it looked drat loving sexy, and in a better world it would have served alongside the XB-70

So sexy I built and cherished models of both of them. My X-29 was 1/72 scale but I liked the way it looked enough that I almost scratch built (only a single Hasagawa 1/72 kit existed at the time) a 1/48 version kitbashing the same planes Grumman did! My Valkyrie was like 1/100 scale which always kinda pissed me off since it was so out of scale with all my other models but it was a big rear end plane and that was the coolest model I could afford at the time. I always wanted a proper model of it though cause it does look pretty god drat bitchin

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AlbieQuirky posted:

I was not expecting a Perec joke here. :golfclap:

I thought no-one would notice. I wanted to translate 'Star Citizen' to French without e's but alas I am a tier 0 Adair.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: Prediction: The first 15 systems to be added to the game

The replies are not very optimistic

:reddit: posted:

Make it to two first yeah

RemindMe! 15 years „Check if the prediction about the first 15 systems in Star Citizen was right. Also, try to order an RTX 3080 and download Squadron 42 early beta build.“

Yeah.... Don't hold your breath....

This project has been in production for 10 years now and they have 1 system (still being worked on) so it realistically doesn't look possible for this map to ever get close to being completed. Still, I love dreaming about the "what-ifs" and "wouldn't it be cools", which is what SC is all about now if we're being honest.

Well, there are some still hoping:

It took them a year to build there first moon. They can do it in two weeks now. Because they have built the tools. And they have just opened a new studio who’s only job is to make planets. Not unrealistic at all.
Pyro was teased more than a year ago and instead of adding it, they removed one existing planet... but sure.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Enumeration of emotional states:

- Happy
- Hungry
- Thirsty
- T-pose

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

quote:

Pyro was teased more than a year ago and instead of adding it, they removed one existing planet... but sure.

This I still find baffling... I thought CIG would squeeze that in in 2020, even if Pyro would just be a mostly empty system with one generic moon and some of their copy/pasted POIs. Have it be a separate 50-player server instance and hide the transition with the warp tunnel animation.
BAM... tick the "multiple star systems" checkbox, queue the citizen victory laps.

But no... let's hype some lame Xenothreat event as the big end of year thing. What, it's so broken you have to cancel it? ooops :iiasb:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dwesa posted:

The replies are not very optimistic

Well, there are some still hoping:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizer: I love dreaming about the "what-ifs" and "wouldn't it be cools", which is what SC is all about now if we're being honest

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sectopod posted:

This I still find baffling... I thought CIG would squeeze that in in 2020, even if Pyro would just be a mostly empty system with one generic moon and some of their copy/pasted POIs. Have it be a separate 50-player server instance and hide the transition with the warp tunnel animation.
BAM... tick the "multiple star systems" checkbox, queue the citizen victory laps.

But no... let's hype some lame Xenothreat event as the big end of year thing. What, it's so broken you have to cancel it? ooops :iiasb:

You say that as if you believed CIG could possibly manage to transfer players between servers. Imagine 2 commandos on one chariot, one of them is sitting in pilot's chair pressing jump button, while other commando is drinking from bottle rammed halfway through his head. Can CIG transfer this to another server without one of the commandos losing his shoes and dying from heat, or chariot falling to pieces?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Am I too late?
Oops, it's the SC thread, where "too late" is an unknown concept.

threelemmings posted:

Crabs are both a particle and a wave

I can confirm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE0wfjsybIQ

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

commando in tophat posted:

You say that as if you believed CIG could possibly manage to transfer players between servers. Imagine 2 commandos on one chariot, one of them is sitting in pilot's chair pressing jump button, while other commando is drinking from bottle rammed halfway through his head. Can CIG transfer this to another server without one of the commandos losing his shoes and dying from heat, or chariot falling to pieces?

That's easy, the commando who pressed the jump button goes to the Pyro system (maybe with the bottle now attached to his gun), all other commandos on the ship get a 30k.
Call it tier0 jump mechanics and release it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sectopod posted:

They are an adhd addled chihuahua always chasing the newest thing, then losing interest for the next thing.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
They must have the most incredible tools known to the world by this point. 10 straight years of tool development.

I think this is where we're all missing the true genius of Chris Roberts.
On July 23rd, 2021 every employee will gather around Chris as he sits at a computer for the first time in 8 years.
A hush will fall over the crowd as Chris remembers how to use a mouse and keyboard.
Gasps are heard as he manages to open The One Tool to Rule Them All
He hovers the cursor over the one enormous button in the center of the screen

and then he clicks it,
<GENERATE GAME>

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

They must have the most incredible tools known to the world by this point. 10 straight years of tool development.

I think this is where we're all missing the true genius of Chris Roberts.
On July 23rd, 2021 every employee will gather around Chris as he sits at a computer for the first time in 8 years.
A hush will fall over the crowd as Chris remembers how to use a mouse and keyboard.
Gasps are heard as he manages to open The One Tool to Rule Them All
He hovers the cursor over the one enormous button in the center of the screen

and then he clicks it,
<GENERATE GAME>

I think if they made shovelware generator, that would be pretty cool, and well worth the effort

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

commando in tophat posted:

I think if they made shovelware generator, that would be pretty cool, and well worth the effort

sandy_ben_shoveling_money.gif

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

The One Tool to Rule Them All
:crobear: and his little cult

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

sandy_ben_shoveling_money.gif

Ok then.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Tippis posted:

Ok then.

Is this the mythical Space Quest 42???

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sectopod posted:

They probably couldn't get it to "run" on another server so tried to just add it like another object to the existing server setup only to watch it melt.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Terra and Sol as two different systems? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I realize that our system is Sol, but Terra has been in use as a name for Earth since the 1400s.

EDIT: Oh, it's intentionally stupid.

quote:

Terra is the only system in the United Earth Empire that is named after the capital planet, rather that the star (Terra Nova) at its center.

And, of course, the planet is Terra III, so it's the third planet from the star.

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, there is a bunch of lore on it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

JackSplater posted:

Terra and Sol as two different systems? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I realize that our system is Sol, but Terra has been in use as a name for Earth since the 1400s.

EDIT: Oh, it's intentionally stupid.

And, of course, the planet is Terra III, so it's the third planet from the star.
Don't try to make sense of it.

Why do all systems have some invented names when I'm pretty sure all those stars already have some designations?

I guess they knew that Vega is a star... but then there's Orion, but that's a name of constellation, not star.

Then there's Caliban, Pallas, Oberon or Charon which are all names of objects in solar system. Lack of creativity?

Centauri is what? It seems someone had a faint idea that there is a star called something Centauri. But Centaurus is name of a constellation and stars in that constellation are named [something] Centauri, like Alpha, Beta, Proxima or R Centauri. Which one is it?

Why are almost all Vanduul systems starting with V?

:iiasb:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Why are almost all Vanduul systems starting with V?

Because Vanduul begins with V duh. This is all clearly explained in a 10,000 word lore post from 7 years ago.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

I love how Xenothreat (the big space-redneck anti-Vandul militia) is attacking Stanton, a human colony on the other side of UEE space from Vanduul territory. I'm just in awe of SC's deep lore.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonelwest posted:

I love how Xenothreat (the big space-redneck anti-Vandul militia) is attacking Stanton, a human colony on the other side of UEE space from Vanduul territory. I'm just in awe of SC's deep lore.

Have I told you about QVanduul and their conspiracy in the recent imperial elections?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dwesa posted:

I love dreaming about the "what-ifs" and "wouldn't it be cools", which is what SC is all about now if we're being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Jump routes: large, medium, small

what does that even meeeeaaaaaaannnn