Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

You didn't address me specifically, but I know everyone is holding their breath for my thoughts so:
Unironically yes

smug jeebus posted:

1: Yes, that's an argument for not killing every model, but a unit of one can still grab objectives and drop gates.
2: You might be right that units are not broadly balanced; I'm not sure yet. I do think the expectation of the designers is that more specialized units will be held until they are useful or not even get played in every game.
3: It took us 3 hours for our first game but got faster as we got used to it. I'm sure clocks will come out if we ever get tournament play.
4: Kind of ambivalent about this one, too.
At this point I just want dece models and to hang out with my friends; I've given up on the quest for the perfect game, and this one seems good enough to throw another Benjamin or two at.
At this point I've decided that it has too many unfamiliar systems for my first impressions to be much use, so I'm really curious about other people's experiences. I'm definitely big on mechanics, and the ambitious novelty is very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So killing things is still worth it because your opponent only has so much ARC to throw around at any given point in a round and there's a good chance a decent portion of it is already allocated to units, warjacks, or gates in anticipation of bringing in stuff that wasn't the thing you were about to kill. This is a much bigger deal in full size games where you routinely won't have all the stuff you want on the table, while having the ARC available to make your heavies hitting as hard as you want, and ARC on your solos that have special abilities, and keeping some for casting, and having enough allocated to the 1-2 gates you always want to have ready on the table... you can see where I'm going with this. You can't just pick ARC up and move it around however you want once it's on something so you really need to think about what you're doing with it and whether or not you really want to bring back a unit of infantry that's going to take 2 activations to get back to the point on the table it died from, or a warjack that might not be in range of it's support now, etc

The balance on the initial release did favor ISA and MW much more than AC unfortunately, but with the introduction of a new faction and models/options I think that's going to even out pretty quickly.

Defense dice are probably the only thing I genuinely don't like about the game, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 8, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
For me the thing that meant I couldn't really even start looking at it was the tiny number of factions.

I personally don't really enjoy playing into someone playing the same army as me in Warmahordes, which I completely understand is a 'me' problem, but also, none of the three armies available speak to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Marchers as a faction spoke to me, but I enjoy painting ISA much more :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Marchers as a faction spoke to me, but I enjoy painting ISA much more :negative:

I hate that ISA are just loving cops

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

S.J. posted:

I hate that ISA are just loving cops

Cops vs libertarians vs wannabe illuminati, truly a grim future.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MCPeePants posted:

Cops vs libertarians vs wannabe illuminati, truly a grim future.

My Marcher Worlds are all equipped with printouts explaining why they don't have to consent to joinder, rather than weapons. I lose a lot of games but I have the moral high ground.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need help, I think my Warcaster Marcher Worlds Command Group, the Dusk Wolf is missing its left arm. I purchased this from Miniature Market. Before I go finding how to track down this single piece, is there assembly instructions anywhere online? Maybe I am just missing something, but looking at the miniature on the box, I think I am missing pieces.

[edit]
Judging by this https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/03/warcaster-hands-on-with-the-dusk-wolf.html I am absolutely missing an arm. :(

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2021

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Brawlmachine gets the thumbs-up from PP

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi Thread; I haven't touched WarmaHordes in like 5 years but it'll always have a place in my heart. I looked at Warcaster when it was announced and said, "Neat" followed by, "Oh right, not plastic models" and kinda forgot about it. Something made me look it up again the other day and I was just curious what the community consensus is on it, or even around WarmaHordes in general? How's Mk 3 been, and how's their "living rules" system or whatever they call it been working out?

I really like the ISA look, except for the giant wind-up keys on their back :( Space Everblight Empyreans also look extremely cool; I love that studio paint job.

Part of me wants to get a box just to paint, but ughh pinning metal stuff blows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sab669 posted:

Hi Thread; I haven't touched WarmaHordes in like 5 years but it'll always have a place in my heart. I looked at Warcaster when it was announced and said, "Neat" followed by, "Oh right, not plastic models" and kinda forgot about it. Something made me look it up again the other day and I was just curious what the community consensus is on it, or even around WarmaHordes in general? How's Mk 3 been, and how's their "living rules" system or whatever they call it been working out?

I really like the ISA look, except for the giant wind-up keys on their back :( Space Everblight Empyreans also look extremely cool; I love that studio paint job.

Part of me wants to get a box just to paint, but ughh pinning metal stuff blows.

I honestly haven't had to pin anything of the two command groups and other units I've assembled so far.

There have been a handful of fiddly bits that I did have trouble with, but I recently discovered that sprinkling baking soda sorta acts as an accelerant for CA glue, and that's worked pretty well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sab669 posted:

We talked about it a couple pages ago a little bit but I really do need to make a new OP. The game seems to play pretty quickly (pace-wise, it still takes 2ish hours to play a game) because it's alternating activations, customizable warjack loadouts can save you money if you want to magnetize instead of buy multiple models, the aesthetic is rad, the scenarios are very objective focused. The only down side at the moment is just that the balance is a little wonky (as you would expect) because the rosters are still getting fleshed out.

You don't have to worry about getting completely combo'd out of the game like WMH feels some times, which I like.

Mk3 had an awful launch but recovered pretty well. Unfortunately a lot of people ditched the game while it happened so finding players is a much more "are they in my region" concern than before. The game is now focused entirely around themes for list building, but they're faction themes instead of the Mk2 warcaster-focused tiers. I honestly think Mk3 is by far the most balanced the game has ever been, although the emphasis on themes does make it more difficult for brand new players to get into, imo. The CID has been great for updating old models and balancing out new ones (most of the time), and the huge disparities in playability among new releases that were common in Mk2 are much more smoothed over. There's still some power creep because it's a miniatures game, but /shrug, it's still not nearly as bad as a lot of other games I've played over the years.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

S.J. posted:

Mk3 had an awful launch but recovered pretty well. Unfortunately a lot of people ditched the game while it happened so finding players is a much more "are they in my region" concern than before. The game is now focused entirely around themes for list building, but they're faction themes instead of the Mk2 warcaster-focused tiers. I honestly think Mk3 is by far the most balanced the game has ever been, although the emphasis on themes does make it more difficult for brand new players to get into, imo. The CID has been great for updating old models and balancing out new ones (most of the time), and the huge disparities in playability among new releases that were common in Mk2 are much more smoothed over. There's still some power creep because it's a miniatures game, but /shrug, it's still not nearly as bad as a lot of other games I've played over the years.

All the problems I had with MK3 rollout were exacerbated by the CID. Knowing that your army is broken in some way, that is widely acknowledged, but also KNOWING that PP aren't looking at it this year (because you know the CID schedule) totally killed it for me, and is why I ended up not playing anymore. (Plus it was a two hour drive to my flgs and my opponents didn't always respect that). It's mostly on my head because I played niche armies, but at the end of MK2 they felt like they were in a good place, and I'm fairly sure now they're in a great place, the best ever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

S.J. posted:

Oh yea, I forgot they redid the Theme concept. In practice is there a good representation of the different themes, or is Cryx pretty much always X or Y, Cygnar A or B etc.? That was one thing I always disliked back when I played, you always saw the same couple warcasters every game.

Happy to hear it sounds like it's in a good place though. I miss playing, but I didn't much care for my [new] local scene after I relocated a few years back.

!Klams posted:

Knowing that your army is broken in some way, that is widely acknowledged, but also KNOWING that PP aren't looking at it this year (because you know the CID schedule) totally killed it for me

That does sound like a huge mood killer, but gently caress that commute to the LGS in the first place :v:

Also this Deneghra the Soul Weaver model owns :black101:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sab669 posted:

Happy to hear it sounds like it's in a good place though. I miss playing, but I didn't much care for my [new] local scene after I relocated a few years back.
That does sound like a huge mood killer, but gently caress that commute to the LGS in the first place :v:

Yeah, like it's really on me for playing minifactions, I knew what I was getting into. The game was great when I stopped. Also I guess, I would drive two hours because I was playing it as a social experience, so was happy to make the trip to see friends. I never really got into the tournament scene, which I think you kinda have to. Playing it casually only goes so far, because it's not a game you can just fudge your way through. A more skilled player will basically 'always' win, so unless you're keeping pace with your local community, you're not going to have as good a time. I'd love to get back into it though, it's a REALLY fun and good game! The community is awesome too. I think every 'nerdy' fandom has it's bad eggs, (just as I'm sure the non nerdy ones do!) but Warmahordes events always surprised me for how few there were, if any.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That was my issue - before I relocated I had a solid Casual WarmaHordes group. Then after I moved the community here was nothing but hyper competitive, "I only ever practice my Comp List" kinda players which I'm just not into.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sab669 posted:

That was my issue - before I relocated I had a solid Casual WarmaHordes group. Then after I moved the community here was nothing but hyper competitive, "I only ever practice my Comp List" kinda players which I'm just not into.

I think the change from MKII to MKIII where you could pre-measure and use markers and stuff basically necessitated this. Once all the information is open, the only chance is dice rolls. The nature of the game is that even 'that' chance is hugely predictable, and manipulating it is a skill in itself. With every single facet of the game coming down to skill including manipulating the dice, it really is a case of the more time you put into the game, the more you'll win.

It's not really so much a case of 'how competitive' the players are, as much as it is 'how much time' they're able/willing to commit to playing. The first time Molik Karn comes tearing down at you out of nowhere and murders your caster, you lose, and you learn. The second time you don't die to it. But if those two games are a week apart, there's clearly going to be a bunch of 'Molik Karn Lessons' that the other players have been teaching each other in the meantime.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, yes, it is a very skill based game and a good player with a bad list and C-tier Warcasters will always beat a bad player with an A-tier list.

But sometimes you just don't want to play against people who only ever play their A-tier lists and treat every single game like a tournament, y'know? Get tired of seeing Terminus every single game real fast, or can't just laugh and have fun while playing. I don't take wargaming particularly seriously, and I don't like playing with people who do take it super seriously - and that's the majority of the community in my new state.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 21, 2021

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I mean, yes, it is a very skill based game and a good player with a bad list and C-tier Warcasters will always beat a bad player with an A-tier list.

But sometimes you just don't want to play against people who only ever play their A-tier lists and treat every single game like a tournament, y'know? Get tired of seeing Terminus every single game real fast, or can't just laugh and have fun while playing. I don't take wargaming particularly seriously, and I don't like playing with people who do take it super seriously - and that's the majority of the community in my new state.

I hear the Brawlmachine stuff is supposed to be taking the edge off of the hypercompetitive scenes that the game everywhere has devolved into.

I’ve watched a few battlereport highlights of brawlmachine and it looks like it could be a lot of fun, but it may take some arm twisting to get people to go along with it.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

koreban posted:

I hear the Brawlmachine stuff is supposed to be taking the edge off of the hypercompetitive scenes that the game everywhere has devolved into.

I’ve watched a few battlereport highlights of brawlmachine and it looks like it could be a lot of fun, but it may take some arm twisting to get people to go along with it.

I've only played two games of brawlmachine (which is 100% of my warmachine play in the last ~2 years) and only with longtime friends, but they were good experiences. Very much the good gameplay I expected, with a more manageable number of models on the table (manageable for my dusty old brain I mean) and none of the things I find aesthetically displeasing, like huge bases and spam.

Kinda sucks if you like those things or one of the forbidden casters, though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MCPeePants posted:

Kinda sucks if you like those things or one of the forbidden casters, though.

Lol, no Thexus OR Gorten for me! Still, looking at a pretty sexy Crosse list, that I couldn't make work until I saw the new Boss MacHorne solo, woah! She is basically exactly what the irregulars theme was missing, and has me really excited about building armies again!

I have to admit, the riot quest solos have done an amazing job of plugging the gaps, and luckily so far the ones I like aren't dumb looking.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

This is pretty cool though, the TinkerTurf terrain KS has an update where they're playing WarCaster. I actually really recommend the terrain from personal experience too, it's nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...zlYRMMdLMl51u2c

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm glad to hear first hand testimonial about the terrain, I'm in for the sat tower and am going to buy some of the original sets because they look perfect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm in on the big bundle. I'm always intending to make terrain, but then I get lazy

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The IKRPG Requiem Kickstarter is up. $100 for all three books and a GM screen with pdfs for the first 48 hours.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I know it will be popular, but I can’t help but wonder if they’ll have the boost mechanic in the ruleset, because that would absolutely break 5e’s framework.

And without it, I wonder if it’ll feel warmahordey. That’s sort of a core thing to the game.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, it started out as a 3e setting so it's not unreasonable to think it'll work. We'll get class previews at least.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

I mean, it started out as a 3e setting so it's not unreasonable to think it'll work. We'll get class previews at least.

I thought about that after I posted the question and it was certain to be the first response, but it’s still nagging at me. I think the difference is that they weren’t an established brand with a feature-specific ruleset that differentiated their game from the other minis-with-dice wargames on the market.

That’s sort of the defining “thing” for warmahordes. You have that fine level of control during your turn to turn up the dial to 11 when you really need it.

5e just breaks when you add in power creep like that. It’s already fundamentally broken in the players favor until you have [(players)+x] number of enemies on the field. Boost mechanics and extra actions based on focus/fury/control of automatons in a game where power is gauged by number of actions on a turn changes the difficulty calculus wildly.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

You're totally right that the paths D&D and Warmachine have taken are now wildly divergent (and for the better imo) and my response was more flippant than was helpful. I never played the old IKRPG but from reading the books, it felt like it was really held back by being so beholden to the wargame system. I've never played 5e but I've read the PHB and it seems generic enough that I'd assume they'll be able to graft the feel of the world onto that mechanical framework. I guess I'm hopeful about it since there's some shared DNA? I dunno, I'm a loving mark so I'm in for the physical books even though I'll probably never play it, but at least I'll have the fluff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

5e is pretty trash at actually catering to a power fantasy that WMH revels in imo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Having discovered D&D first and wargames second, I've since found combat in any RPG to be wholly unsatisfying and uninteresting.

I did play the previous IK iteration but I don't think we "played it right" in terms of combat / not using Feat Points correctly, but as far as D&D goes it's just like, yep I'm going to cast a spell or hit it with my sword and then wait 6 minutes for it to be my turn again.

I really don't know how that's fun for anyone.

My buddy is actually doing editing for PP for those new IK books, says he's basically got everything done except for some / most of the monsternomicon I think, but is also waiting on more material from PP. Sadly he doesn't fill me in on any juicy details, merely his progress 🙃

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm backing this, but I do wish they were reupping their own game. The career system was my all time favorite.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm backing this, but I do wish they were reupping their own game. The career system was my all time favorite.

It was amazing and this is going to be a significant step backwards in design. Not that it will be necessarily bad, but definitely worse.

Also, no farrow listed as a playable race. What a sham.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamnit I gotta stop backing all these Kickstarters :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Having discovered D&D first and wargames second, I've since found combat in any RPG to be wholly unsatisfying and uninteresting.

I did play the previous IK iteration but I don't think we "played it right" in terms of combat / not using Feat Points correctly, but as far as D&D goes it's just like, yep I'm going to cast a spell or hit it with my sword and then wait 6 minutes for it to be my turn again.

I really don't know how that's fun for anyone.

My buddy is actually doing editing for PP for those new IK books, says he's basically got everything done except for some / most of the monsternomicon I think, but is also waiting on more material from PP. Sadly he doesn't fill me in on any juicy details, merely his progress 🙃

Most RPGs do combat for poo poo, which is basically unforgiveable seeing as ho like 95% of most of their rules are focused around combat. 4E and Lancer are both good on the combat end, at least.

The IK RPG had some good ideas but was unbalanced all to hell and back, and never actually built a system for creating encounters and enemies that was anything more substantial than throwing darts at a wall. Fwiw, the "right" way to play the IKRPG is to use your feat points non stop to murder dudes and gain more feat points back in an endless cycle, but the game becomes fairly rocket-tag once you start putting actually dangerous stuff into the encounters.

That being said, I hope the Requiem campaign does well, and I'd love to see more setting books.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

You're totally right that the paths D&D and Warmachine have taken are now wildly divergent (and for the better imo) and my response was more flippant than was helpful.

It was fine. It’s one of those points that I didn’t pre-counter in my original post, so getting it out of the way of the conversation early was better than not.

quote:

I never played the old IKRPG but from reading the books, it felt like it was really held back by being so beholden to the wargame system. I've never played 5e but I've read the PHB and it seems generic enough that I'd assume they'll be able to graft the feel of the world onto that mechanical framework. I guess I'm hopeful about it since there's some shared DNA? I dunno, I'm a loving mark so I'm in for the physical books even though I'll probably never play it, but at least I'll have the fluff.

IKRPG was very much hobbled by being bound to the wargame’s system, but that was also part of the charm of the game. It was familiar in a way that something like Warhammer Fantasy (or even Warhammer Quest) fails at when paired against D&D. If you played WHF and wanted to play as a hero in a fantasy world, there was nearly no familiarity between the systems, whereas if you went between IKRPG and WMH, it was intuitively familiar from the jump.

I’m not speaking to any other aspect of the game, just that the framework of the systems and the way players used dice was really well realized and kept a similar feel that I think IK:R will fall way short of if they’re using 5e’s framework and balance.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I loved the structure of the IKRPG. It had a ton of great ideas.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I had a couple good games at Warmachine Weekend with some goons many years ago, but beyond that it never really struck me as a particularly great system.

I kinda hope this new Witchfire thing they're putting out isn't as awful as the 3.5 adventure path though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hipster Occultist posted:

I had a couple good games at Warmachine Weekend with some goons many years ago, but beyond that it never really struck me as a particularly great system.

I kinda hope this new Witchfire thing they're putting out isn't as awful as the 3.5 adventure path though.

As much as I don't like it, I think 5e is just objectively better than 3.5, so it's at least got that going for it? I guess?

I'd love to get together for goon RPG/warmahordes/whatever at Warfaire Weekend again some time after (hopefully) covid isn't so incredibly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

S.J. posted:

As much as I don't like it, I think 5e is just objectively better than 3.5, so it's at least got that going for it? I guess?

I'd love to get together for goon RPG/warmahordes/whatever at Warfaire Weekend again some time after (hopefully) covid isn't so incredibly lovely.

It wasn't so much that it was 3.5 (although I remember the Pain of Healing and Mechanika rules being really dumb), but rather it was railroady as gently caress.

Its basically "player choice? Pfff, gently caress that. This is the watch Alexia do plot stuff that's already happened happy hour. Enjoy the ride!"