Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1354390460383559684

e: 160 used to be the number for Dial-a-Disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bump_fn posted:

its gonna be pretty funny when he's reelected in 2024

yeah i can already see the medi implying that if we dont vote bojo in again the 300,000 people will have died in vain

i would like an inside look at starmers lot and the people who back him to see what they think
obviously his spook handlers are pleased since him winning is immaterial, he's just there to stop a left democratic uprising and keep people from directing their anger at the central government
but my stance has always been "of course the fucker will win its the most depressing outcome" and hes got even me doubting a bit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1354398253987594240?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

blatantly not
their asian DNA makes them prone to obeying orders and wearing masks
we have been over this a few times

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very tempted to go around calling joanna cherry by the wrong pronouns if she likes it so much.

Or perhaps exclusively "poo poo-for-brains" given that is also covered.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 27, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bobby Deluxe posted:

AKA the Rachel Riley problem. Brilliant at maths and quick calculations, but so poo poo at Humanities that she genuinely bought into the Corbyn antisemitism stuff, to the point that she took a photo of him getting arrested at an apartheid protest and photoshopped it to say he was racist.

I fall foul of the IQ thing as well. On paper I have a high IQ, 125-130 UK scale* as taken by two seperate psychologists. But this is just the speed my brain works. In practical terms I have a terrible education and at 40 it's drat near impossible to turn that around, especially at maths.

I'm trying to learn, but my god am I super aware of my dwindling neuroplasticity.

I also have next to zero political education, which is why I sometimes feel baffled looking at in-depth discussions that reference gramscian neo-gondorism and it's effects on the teutonic filibustering of the late seinfeld movements, especially when it's treated like an obvious step in reasoning that everyone on the left should be aware of.

Listening to the pod I am always thankful for Jamie occasionally stopping things to ask what something is, because I am painfully aware of the holes in my northern Thatcher era education.

I tried taking the Mensa test and ended up sub-average, which is one of the huge problems with it - the cultural bias in the question assumes you have been taught fibonacci sequence and prime numbers to the point you recognise them, as opposed to (in my case) having skipped over that lesson because it's assumed working class plebs will never need it working in a shop.

Or someone from a village in another country with no formal education - if they took the test and worked out the fibonnaci sequence on their own, that would in real terms make them massively more intelligent than an etonian who memorised a formula after having it buggered into them repeatedly.

It's also pretty ableist, not taking into account things like dyscalculia, physical disabilities affecting handwriting, dyslexia affecting comprehension, and mental health and motivational problems.

Ultimately I don't feel like my supposedly high IQ has helped me have a better life. There's a reason there's a correlation between high IQ and mental health problems. I can't seem to hold down a job, I get frustrated doing things I know are inefficient, or working with systems I can see should be better but "that's the way it's done."

And I am incredibly envious of anyone who can just get up in the morning and go to work and do the same thing every day, every week, and just keep going and be seemingly happy. They get so much more done than I do, sat here in a ball of anxiety afraid to do anything in case I gently caress it up.

People get frustrated working with me because when I was younger I'd pipe up with ideas for better ways to do things, then after nobody did them or people did things the old way I'd stop chiming in with ideas and people would accuse me of getting sullen and uncommunicative.

The only environment I've ever felt comfortable in was higher education, but again there are huge class issues there because the nature of the funding, and living arrangements for post grad is so loving tenuous, unless you're supported by a rich family and know the right people to get the right scholarships and bursaries, I don't see how it's possible to survive.

Jesus, this hit home for me hard. I had my iq tested in school when I was 12, then tested several times independently because the results I got didn’t seem to make sense- it came out as 166 (not sure what scale was used- this was 27 years ago and the paperwork is long since gone, but I ended up a member of Mensa for most of my adolescence, god help me). And it’s probably one of the things I regret doing most in my life.

I was never very good at generic ‘work’ at school (undiagnosed ADHD, autism and depression saw fit to that) but because I was ‘objectively more intelligent’ than my peers (a quote from a teacher) and would be able to make amazing leaps and insights when my brain did get in gear, I spent the rest of my education being screamed at and punished for ‘not trying’ and ‘being lazy’. I also never learned how to study- up till gcse level this was fine; I got good enough grades (and sometimes excellent ones) because I was able to grasp stuff on first pass. Then A-levels and uni work hit, and all the wheels fell off. I think I ended up turning in about two assignments and passing three courses in three and a half years of trying to do uni. And again, in the eyes of my family and educators this was obviously me deliberately sabotaging myself out of laziness, for reasons.

Also strong mood about the frustration at seeing things being done inefficiently etc. Due to an element of class privilege (I have a posh accent and am good with words when I need to be) at least this meant I sometimes got listened to- but then would end up put in situations and roles where I was just not able to manage things. Every one of my jobs has been a repetitive journey of ‘start at bottom, rise meteorically, become overwhelmed, crash and burn’. Ok, sometimes the behaviour of employers was to blame (2 for 2 on employment tribunals after leaving jobs due to said crash and burn). This is why I now make fudge and only answer to myself. Though my boss is still a total oval office. :p

Anyway, I’m rambling like gently caress and can’t remember what my initial point was. But your post really spoke to me. Felt kind of nice to know my experience is not totally unique.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i can already see the medi implying that if we dont vote bojo in again the 300,000 people will have died in vain

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1354403851185643520

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is interesting that the refrain of "you're smart therefore you must do well in life" is such a perfect internalization of meritocratic propaganda. Like, no, smart people do not necessarily do well in life, there is nothing that selects for that, smartness counts for nothing unless it makes someone else money.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also the inverse, that doing well in life does not select for smartness. Trump being chief proof of that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The worst side effect of that has to be the post hoc assumption that "you do well in life therefore you must be smart" because, like, everything.

efb but yeah that

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

to divide and conquer the UK

and how could that work if the alternative to a fascist UK is two neighbouring fascist countries?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
lol intelligence is the speed of your processor and most of us are running awful unmaintainable spaghetti code that keeps getting stuck in loops.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

endlessmonotony posted:

awful unmaintainable spaghetti code that keeps getting stuck in loops.

Hoops :eng101:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

endlessmonotony posted:

lol intelligence is the speed of your processor and most of us are running awful unmaintainable spaghetti code that keeps getting stuck in loops.

I always used to say my brain was a Ferrari with a hosed clutch and several missing gears, but this is a far better way of describing it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

when you're a big brain journalist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Why are you so obsessed with me" I scream at the person I blocked for pointing out I'm dumb as poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Camrath posted:

I always used to say my brain was a Ferrari with a hosed clutch and several missing gears, but this is a far better way of describing it.
Your ferarri is fine, you're just trying to drive it through an English village at rush hour.

Also Keith's off his shits again:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

"Why are you so obsessed with me" I scream at the person I blocked for pointing out I'm dumb as poo poo.
I like how this proves that certain journalists just get into it because they want their opinions to be absorbed passively and uncritically, and god forbid that one passes your thoughts on along with something as gauche as commentary.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

^^they haven't got over the fact that people can talk back now (be it in comments or on Twitter)

Camrath posted:

I was never very good at generic ‘work’ at school (undiagnosed ADHD, autism and depression saw fit to that) but because I was ‘objectively more intelligent’ than my peers (a quote from a teacher) and would be able to make amazing leaps and insights when my brain did get in gear, I spent the rest of my education being screamed at and punished for ‘not trying’ and ‘being lazy’. I also never learned how to study- up till gcse level this was fine; I got good enough grades (and sometimes excellent ones) because I was able to grasp stuff on first pass. Then A-levels and uni work hit, and all the wheels fell off. I think I ended up turning in about two assignments and passing three courses in three and a half years of trying to do uni. And again, in the eyes of my family and educators this was obviously me deliberately sabotaging myself out of laziness, for reasons.

Hey never-learning-how-to-learn buddy. Same here, I was able to coast through to the end of school, and only stumbled a bit on chemistry (which I still maintain is just physics explained badly), and super advanced maths, the first proper challenge of school, which I fudged (lol) my way through, but as it was a baccalaureate system those formed a very small part of my overall mark. Then at uni I crashed and burned because physics was difficult and boring at that level, and I had no idea how to study it or motivate myself.

I'm now reading all kinds of things about ADHD and going "wow it's me" a lot. This isn't helped by the popular perception of ADHD as "trouble sitting still disease" - bizarrely, I did/do have trouble sitting still, and was fairly rebellious in my head, but all of this was overridden by my ultimate fear of being told off and getting in trouble - which I now think comes under "rejection sensitive dysphoria", an ADHD symptom. So I think my parents would be very surprised if I mentioned this to them, because I was a good little clever child, not a "naughty thicky" who needed Ritalin.

The other thing of course being the inability to focus, except when hyperfocussing on something I love. Which I used to solve the uni problem by dropping out and doing something I loved as a job, and even then combining it with the fear of "getting in trouble" to force me to do work at the last minute, when I wasn't feeling it. Healthy? Meh, it works :v:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 27, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Given our government are the people who spent the last 5 years loving the country mostly in order to regain the right to unilaterally close our borders, it is quite odd that they refuse to do it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

When I posted the provocative statement littered with clap emojis on a public forum, I was actually engaging in a quiet discussion with my close friends that you've interrupted by disagreeing with me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I like how this proves that certain journalists just get into it because they want their opinions to be absorbed passively and uncritically, and god forbid that one passes your thoughts on along with something as gauche as commentary.
"How dare you comment on my commentary."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The free marketplace of ideas is meant only for those of us with expensive enough opinions to afford the podium.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I think I shall post something massively inflammatory and then proclaim my victimhood when people call me a dipshit.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm frequently hearing defence of Bozzer, even from people who normally despise, along the lines of "who's to say anyone else would do any better?" which is such a great argument

"yes m'lud, I did murder those 12 people, but consider that a different murderer might hypothetically have murdered 12 billion. I rest my case"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

The free marketplace of ideas is meant only for those of us with expensive enough opinions to afford the podium.

That's their exact argument behind why it's "CANCEL CULTURE" when people tell them to gently caress off and shut up, and "intelligent discourse" when they do the same to plebs, so this lines up pretty well as far as I'm concerned.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
200k dead in 3-4 months?
Looking forward to Boris spread out naked in front of the fire.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Johnson still hinting that he'll gently caress off in March like he was when he whined about his salary?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My brain automatically followed that first line with "we ain't got nothin' to lose mu'fucka, we rollin'".

But it's true. No one man should have all that power.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Your ferarri is fine, you're just trying to drive it through an English village at rush hour.

Also Keith's off his shits again:

Schools would be open and 'most' life would be normal now if we had done a full lockdown, quarantine of incoming travellers, and proper contact tracing 6 months ago. Just a pity the government is run by crank psychopaths, and the opposition are craven windsocks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wachter posted:

I'm frequently hearing defence of Bozzer, even from people who normally despise, along the lines of "who's to say anyone else would do any better?" which is such a great argument

"yes m'lud, I did murder those 12 people, but consider that a different murderer might hypothetically have murdered 12 billion. I rest my case"

Just say "Jeremy Corbyn" and when they laugh at you point out that they thought Boris Johnson was the man for the job and now 100,000 people are dead.

You'll lose friends but the fall out will be spectacular.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just say "Jeremy Corbyn" and when they laugh at you point out that they thought Boris Johnson was the man for the job and now 100,000 people are dead.

You'll lose friends but the fall out will be spectacular.

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1354359390502068227

Doesn't always work it seems.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

I don't know about that, I saw a recent documentary film about the train line to Busan and things there seem really bad

The British equivalent of this was when Jeremy Corbyn Couldn't Get A Seat

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you're friends with Julia Hartley-Brewer, I'm not sure this thread is the right place for you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

If you're friends with Julia Hartley-Brewer, I'm not sure this thread is the right place for you

She doesn't have friends, surely

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

when’s boris going to drive a forklift through a stack of boxes with ‘CORONAVIRUS’ written on so we can all get on with our lives

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

. So I think my parents would be very surprised if I mentioned this to them, because I was a good little clever child, not a "naughty thicky" who needed Ritalin.
I feel like this is very much a class thing, but I need to word this carefully because ADHD is real and its effects gently caress up lives.

But rich kids who's parents have money get diagnosed. They get to go through school with a reason. And I think in some cases, there are rich kids who are just rude and selfish who get the right psychologist to give then an aspergers diagnosis so they can get away with being assholes.

Since being online and part of autism communities you always get people who take 'autistic people can seem blunt or rude' at face value as an excuse. Autistic people are largely horrified if and when they find out they've offended someone.

Also a lot of people who go 'oh I have a diagnosis of x and it hasn't stopped me living a full life.' Yeah, bully for you being told how to do that, but the rest of us just got a rubber stamp saying we'd have difficulties amd got told to gently caress off and look it up ourselves.

Poor kids slip through undiagnosed in massive classes by overworked teachers. Their frustration and alienation mounts. Problem behaviours get them downgraded in which sets they're in. Without support they fail and are branded as just stupid.

And I think there are a lot of the issues that drive some people into the prison system - poor impulse control, irritability, lashing out, oversensitivity - that could be ascribed to a whole slew of learning difficulties and mental health issues if the same degree of support was given to poorer kids as to rich kids.

And while this is happening you have smug pricks like priti patel smirking about the death penalty for people who just happened to be born the wrong side of the line.

Basically rich kids get diagnoses and support, poor kids get booted out of education and probably prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

when’s boris going to drive a forklift through a stack of boxes with ‘CORONAVIRUS’ written on so we can all get on with our lives
*glass vials shatter everywhere*