Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Perfect Element posted:

Novels which don't have short chapters or 'sections'. I'm not saying I want the da Vinci Code, but I've just started reading Under the Volcano, and the first chapter is 48 pages long, with no breaks.

Perhaps growing up reading Discworld has overly accustomed me to novels being broken up fairly regularly, but a fifty page chapter would take like... I dunno, maybe like 90 minutes worth of unbroken reading, which unfortunately ain't gonna happen.

The Discworld novels? Am I misremembering or do they, in fact, have no chapter breaks at all? I guess you can stop reading anywhere you like, but that's also true of books with chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tiggum posted:

The Discworld novels? Am I misremembering or do they, in fact, have no chapter breaks at all? I guess you can stop reading anywhere you like, but that's also true of books with chapters.

They have no formal chapters, but lots of breaks. I don't know what the formal term for it is, but like when one section ends and then there's a * * * seperating it from the next bit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Believe it or not it's called a dinkus

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Slamming a mug or glass into my front teeth

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Steaming services that have a "Continue Watching" function that operates differently than browsing to an episode listing.

By that I mean, using Disney+ as the example here because I've been using it a lot lately, on the main screen your recent items are ther under a heading called "Continue Watching"

If you click on an TV show there, it goes right into the episode you left on on, and NOT the main page/episode listing for that show.

That part is ok, I can see the mindset of the UI/UX designers going,
"When people click Continue they want to go exactly where they left off, no extra browsing or button pressing." Cool, makes sense.

But...there's no way to go BACK to the episode listing from "Continue Watching." On Disney+, every episode, when paused, has a generic "back" button that can only go back to the one previous screen. So if you selected the ep. from the list of eps on the main show page, you go back to that episode listing and can easily select a different one.

But if you started from the "Continue Watching," it sends you back to the main page, and you have to navigate back through the menu to get back to the shows page, and it's not always quickly accessed.

Some popular shows, Simpsons, for one, are generally right there listed on the main page so it's only a few clicks to get to the show's episode list.

But others? Ones they don't care about, like most of the classic Disney Afternoon stuff? The only way to get back to the show's episode list is to go to the search bar, and search bars on streaming sites/devices are all, to a T, garbage.

On screen QWERTY to make it quick/easy to type? No...a single row of letters and numbers, with NO wraparound, that will scroll too slowly when you try to go one by one, but too fast if you hold down the left/right buttons.

The only reason they have such bad UX is because maybe someone else has all the patents on the good features, probably Netflix, since it was the first (or at least first popular one) and I'm 90% sure it does use on screen QWERTY and allows you to go to the episode list from continuing a recently played ep.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of "continue watching" - if you watch the entire episode prior to one that has like 5 minutes to go on your last watch for whatever reason, it should never jump to that point. If I wanted to resume at that spot, I would have selected that episode and resumed it. I'm clearly watching the show again from the beginning. Hulu is the worst with it. I end up accidentally missing so many episodes because of it when I have something on in the background and I'm not paying 100% attention to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of "continue watching" - if you watch the entire episode prior to one that has like 5 minutes to go on your last watch for whatever reason, it should never jump to that point. If I wanted to resume at that spot, I would have selected that episode and resumed it. I'm clearly watching the show again from the beginning. Hulu is the worst with it. I end up accidentally missing so many episodes because of it when I have something on in the background and I'm not paying 100% attention to it.

Thisssssssss god drat it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yep, with Hulu I often have to remove things from my watch history when I want to restart them because of this. And Hulu doesn’t let you remove things from watch history on all platforms. And it also always leaves a bookmark two minutes from the end of an episode you’ve finished. It’s terrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't understand how my housemates manage to leave time on the microwave every single time they make any food. I can understand not letting the timer run to 0 if you don't know how many seconds to put the food in for, but there is no excuse not to clear it. It's the same button to open the microwave. Just hit it twice how is it so hard. How do I manage to do it 100% of the time and they manage to do it 0% of the time??

edit: And it's such a tiny thing that I can't really expect them to care about it or even probably know they're doing it, but maannnnn.... Put your shoes on the floor mat when they have snow on them. Turn off lights when you leave a room. Refill the toilet paper roll holder when you use the last of it. I don't want to sound like a pain in the rear end by telling them to do these things because I'm not their dad, but my dudes you live with other people, please act like it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Jan 26, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I'm the opposite and hate that my current microwave automatically clears the timer after being idle for 10 minutes. On my old one I'd put 99 minutes on it and then never clear it until it was time to set it back to 99 again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm the opposite and hate that my current microwave automatically clears the timer after being idle for 10 minutes. On my old one I'd put 99 minutes on it and then never clear it until it was time to set it back to 99 again.

...why?

I hate when podcasts, especially short ones, have to read out patreon subscriber names and/or hock their social media on every single episode. Even worse, they hock the podcast's social media profiles and then list off every host/VA/guest/sound designer/etc's social medias too.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Dip Viscous posted:

my man

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Dip Viscous posted:

i’d do this if i weren’t afraid i’d forget something in there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Companies insisting on making you turn your camera on for virtual meetings. We all know what we look like, it doesn't "increase morale" to keep seeing each other's faces.

But more importantly, this is going to force me to actually put on clothes to work and look like i'm paying attention to the whole meeting instead of going to lay down or playing phone games while everyone else gives their updates that don't concern me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just say "sorry, I don't have a webcam". Who's gonna check?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My webcam is on my laptop, which is connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse; the laptop sits to one side, closed. That's a good excuse for me. Webcam not available, sorry!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

any kind of localization

i formatted my laptop and reinstalled everything from scratch and it took me forever to remove any trace of dutch from apps and stuff. i initially had set the system language to "english (world)" but apparently this makes it look at your actual location and still try to sneak in your local language in various things (the store app and xbox live categories) so i had to set it to english (US), i still have a few things that insist on being in dutch, but these seem to be tied to account settings

spotify is the worst about this. paying for it with a dutch credit card makes it try to shove playlists aimed at dutch housewives down your throat, there's no way to customize the start page to get rid of these

i just want a universal "you shall communicate with me only in english" setting

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I have several times had installers select a language bases on my IP, with no option to change it. English OS, a browser that only reports English as accepted language, an exe downloaded from their .com site, launch it, and it's in Swedish. I had to disconnect my network to get the already downloaded installer to launch in English. Great design! No one with a Swedish IP could ever want things in English! It's been a couple of years now so I don't remember exactly which did it, but I had or happen several times. Took me ages to come up with the solution the first time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phosphine posted:

I have several times had installers select a language bases on my IP, with no option to change it. English OS, a browser that only reports English as accepted language, an exe downloaded from their .com site, launch it, and it's in Swedish. I had to disconnect my network to get the already downloaded installer to launch in English. Great design! No one with a Swedish IP could ever want things in English! It's been a couple of years now so I don't remember exactly which did it, but I had or happen several times. Took me ages to come up with the solution the first time.

yeah ugh

it's a monolingual's mindset where they (usually some american company) can't imagine someone not wanting to use their local language, "because people only speak one language, right?"

by the way something tells me the program you're talking about is from adobe

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

My office bought everyone webcams because the CEO feels VERY STRONGLY about this.

Better than having to go in to the office, at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All of my electronics are in a mix of english and french and I have no idea why or how to change it

Like if I google "echidna" right now the top result will be the french wiki for echidna and the second result will be the english wiki, but chrome's interface is in english. Maybe it's because my keyboard is azerty? idfk

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I'm in the middle of the US using US everything, no VPN or anything, and I still sometimes get sites or search results in Portuguese. poo poo's just busted.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah my office firewall goes through various places, so when I'm working from home on the VPN I get results/ads in Romanian or German randomly, despite doing everything I can to scream "English please!" At the world.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

My office bought everyone webcams because the CEO feels VERY STRONGLY about this.

So stick something over the lens and feign confusion when asked why no one can see you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

docbeard posted:

Same here. Not for the company I work for, but for the company I am contracted to (work in IT.) The CEO, CTO, all the various department directors, etc... all want everyone on video in every meeting.

But...when we all went work from home last April (most of us, anyway, I get to keep coming in), we found out the combination of Wyse thin clients that most people were using, our Citrix and virtual environment, and Microsoft Teams meant that no one could do video calls in Teams (unless they were one of the relatively few people who had a laptop or used a personal device to connect to their VM through a Citrix gateway website.)

And this was right after we just made a big push to get everyone ONTO Teams and off of Skype, since you can have bigger meetings, better integration w/ other Microsoft products, and that Skype will eventually be retired. On top of that, the wyse thin clients we were using we new ones we had JUST switched to from an older model, because we were specifically told these new ones work better with Teams and video. Except...nope, at least not with the firmware on them. Dell had some early release firmware that MIGHT work, and we tested it but it had a whole slew of issues.

So now, we are in the process of ordering, imaging, and shipping out hundreds of Dell micro PCs that use a full (albeit very locked down) Windows environment instead of the Dell ThinOS that DO work with video calls in Teams.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars spent (my quick napkin math is at least 150k JUST for the Micro PC hardware, not counting cost of labor, any possible additional hardware someone might need to switch from the old Wyse device, etc...), all because the few guys at the top want to see people in meetings.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Google has decided that french language results are fine to mix in the english ones because I maybe searched french terms and read french websites in college a decade ago?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

docbeard posted:

Facerig.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

We all have the same government issued laptops that have them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Pre-record a 10 minute loop of you looking into the camera attentively, with lighting just bad enough that people can't tell your mouth isn't moving if you have to talk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hit the webcam with a hammer and claim a child relative dropped the laptop

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hit the webcam with a hammer and claim a child relative dropped the laptop

Or just put some tape over it and say it's not working. You don't know why. :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Insist on wearing a your facemask and get panicky about "computer covid virus" if anyone suggests you remove it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Companies insisting on making you turn your camera on for virtual meetings. We all know what we look like, it doesn't "increase morale" to keep seeing each other's faces.

But more importantly, this is going to force me to actually put on clothes to work and look like i'm paying attention to the whole meeting instead of going to lay down or playing phone games while everyone else gives their updates that don't concern me.

The second part is what they’re worried about, not the first.

They know it doesn’t increase morale, or care about seeing your face, they just want to know you’re not sitting there on mute loving around with other stuff

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Some dude on the local AM radio is super excited about the school serving "walkie talkie slaw". I've lived in this region my whole life and I have no idea what the gently caress he means. gently caress you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All of these ideas sound like they're more effort than just putting on a shirt for a couple hours a day.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The scheduling assistant in outlook is fantastic for letting you know exactly when a meeting will work for everyone without having to round up everyone to talk it out

Until A SINGLE GUY half asses it and has a meeting scheduled informally and forces me to reschedule the meeting bc a slot marked free actually wasn't

You don't just gently caress up your own work when you don't use your tools properly!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

The scheduling assistant in outlook is fantastic for letting you know exactly when a meeting will work for everyone without having to round up everyone to talk it out

Until A SINGLE GUY half asses it and has a meeting scheduled informally and forces me to reschedule the meeting bc a slot marked free actually wasn't

You don't just gently caress up your own work when you don't use your tools properly!!

It's also not great when someone shows up 45 minutes late to their own meeting and still expects to have the whole meeting.

(The "someone" in this case is the CEO, which circumvents most of the traditional responses.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

On top of meeting woes, scheduling a meeting at the end of a day should be forbidden...they should all end at least 30 min before end of day, and 1 hour before on a Friday.

The inverse is also true, no meeting to start sooner than 30 minutes after start of day, and 1 hour on Mondays.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why not use this 1 hour you’re demanding on Friday afternoon to prepare for the Monday meeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

docbeard posted:

It's also not great when someone shows up 45 minutes late to their own meeting and still expects to have the whole meeting.

(The "someone" in this case is the CEO, which circumvents most of the traditional responses.)

Guillotine sounds like a good non-traditional response