Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

CopperHound posted:

Okay, I looked up the top two primary act. It doesn't apply to governor.

I like that Laryy Flynt was listed as a Publisher.

Yeah, we didn't get the jungle primary until after Schwarzenegger was governor. Our current jungle primary system was the result of a compromise to get a single Republican state legislator on board with some budget bill, otherwise the Dems couldn't pass anything.

The Republican dude (Abel Maldonado) was super passionate about jungle primary systems apparently that that was his big requirement for the deal.

EDIT: To clarify, his requirement was that the state legislature submit it as a ballot proposition to be voted on.

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I wonder how much this is backfiring on Newsom. I know a (statistically insignificant) number of people who are very left leaning working class (retail working class) who have now signed the Republican lead recall stuff, because they feel like Newsom has told them to go die for their company's profits.

If he did this out of fear of the recall campaign, I can't imagine this is going to go well for him, it seems like exactly the sort of push thst has given momentum to people who are gonna start yelling about recalling him from the left.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

As fun as it is to joke about recalling newsome, I absolutely 100% will not sign anything supported by Howard Jarvis.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

KittyEmpress posted:

I wonder how much this is backfiring on Newsom. I know a (statistically insignificant) number of people who are very left leaning working class (retail working class) who have now signed the Republican lead recall stuff, because they feel like Newsom has told them to go die for their company's profits.

If he did this out of fear of the recall campaign, I can't imagine this is going to go well for him, it seems like exactly the sort of push thst has given momentum to people who are gonna start yelling about recalling him from the left.

As much of a meme as the recall campaign is becoming, it just seems particularly quixotic for everyone. No R is winning that governorship. Someone to Newsom's left would own, but I'm not super optimistic given that Feinstein beat De Leon by what, like 10 points? Like, this just feels like we're all going through the motions for no actual payoff or change here, just like everything else about Covid-era CA.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm not saying we should sign it or that it's a good idea or anything. Just that this appears to have changed a lot of minds (around me, that I contact regularly enough to talk politics with) into deciding to sign it. And that if this was done out of fear of the recall, he may have shot himself in the foot by making his own voting bloc now want him out, not just the Republicans who would always hate him for having a D in front of his name.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CopperHound posted:

As fun as it is to joke about recalling newsome, I absolutely 100% will not sign anything supported by Howard Jarvis.

Also every single person who've seen manning or milling around those recall stations is proudly not wearing a mask, so even if I wanted to recall Newsom I'd have to risk catching the plague from dipshits to sign the paperwork, and gently caress that!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KittyEmpress posted:

Those people are morons. Any left-leaning working class person who signs a recall petition that will almost certainly result in a Republican governor (Gov. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson most likely) is as reactionary and stupid as chuds who vote against their own self-interest in red states because it owns the libs. There is no situation in which recalling Newsom makes anything better, there is no recalling him from the left, so just go lay in the bed you made.

TheGreyGhost posted:

No R is winning that governorship.

I think this is a very bold claim to make about an off-season election in a state with the most complicated ballots in the country in a nation that elected two(!) devastating Republican administrations because they saw them on TV.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On the other hand threatening to recall Newsom over lifting the stay at home order is good because it might make him oil his pants and take protecting Californians from themselves a little more seriously, so, who can say if it;s good or not,

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think this is a very bold claim to make about an off-season election in a state with the most complicated ballots in the country in a nation that elected two(!) devastating Republican administrations because they saw them on TV.

Arnold is literally the only R to win statewide office in an election here in like 15 years. If you want to argue that the "famous person with nebulous views that I can project my own views on" template that Arnold and later Trump ran, then sure weird things can happen, but Gavin's still sitting at like 58% approval the last we've heard. That's not the formula to get an Arnold, especially with him at least finally realizing that vaccine rollout is the tide that raises all ships for him in this.

On the other hand, I do agree that I want him to be terrified of his constituents so he doesn't do something stupid like open movie theatres next week. I can't wait to see any SoCal surge in a week or two blamed on the rain.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Those people are morons. Any left-leaning working class person who signs a recall petition that will almost certainly result in a Republican governor (Gov. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson most likely) is as reactionary and stupid as chuds who vote against their own self-interest in red states because it owns the libs. There is no situation in which recalling Newsom makes anything better, there is no recalling him from the left, so just go lay in the bed you made.

Idk it doesn’t seem like scolding people for doing politics wrong is the right lesson to draw from the past few years but I guess it doesn’t really hurt to vent here if it makes you feel better

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The political landscape of this state now vs when Davis was recalled is completely different. The state is much more (D) than it was in 2003, the CA GOP was far less of a rump party than it is now, etc. Also to appeal to the Trump base the CA GOP would absolutely throw their weight behind Cox, which is a complete non-starter with dems - even the ones who don't particularly like Newsom - and he'd get crushed. That's assuming the recall ballot even passes, which I highly doubt it would since again post-Trump dem voters are wary about giving the GOP any leverage.

Also Newsom is just a governor fumbling COVID in a sea of governors fumbling COVID, and he has at least tried some stuff. The perception with Davis was that there were clear and decisive steps he could have taken to nip the Enron situation in the bud - or at least cause enough of a dust up by having the NG seize the power plants that it would force a Federal response - but he just... didn't and sat back while California got bent over the table.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I never understood exactly how Enron could just call up some power plants and say "hey so, run at about 45% capacity for the rest of the day, k?" without the state government having any say.

But probably deregulation, right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s possible that CA isn’t the worst state in administering COVID vaccines, it may simply be we are too lazy

https://twitter.com/tinybaby/status/1354528238354096133?s=21

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FCKGW posted:

It’s possible that CA isn’t the worst state in administering COVID vaccines, it may simply be we are too lazy

https://twitter.com/tinybaby/status/1354528238354096133?s=21

that's really bad form design, pretty unsurprising that this is happening.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

I've heard estimates from LAC and UCLA that we could be anywhere up to 30% further along than anyone indicates on administration with how bad the reporting has been. It's why there's such a disconnect between the counties all saying they're getting low on shots while the state looks terrible on deliver/administered yield. At this point, I almost don't care how much we pay Salesforce if we're able to actually wrangle this data for real--every dollar we can use to speed up vaccination is objectively worth paying, even if it saves a single day.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm not saying we should sign it or that it's a good idea or anything. Just that this appears to have changed a lot of minds (around me, that I contact regularly enough to talk politics with) into deciding to sign it. And that if this was done out of fear of the recall, he may have shot himself in the foot by making his own voting bloc now want him out, not just the Republicans who would always hate him for having a D in front of his name.

the centrist and right-wing dems, which gavinbot is one of, are still confident they can piss off the left base of the dem party with no electoral consequence

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I never understood exactly how Enron could just call up some power plants and say "hey so, run at about 45% capacity for the rest of the day, k?" without the state government having any say.

But probably deregulation, right?

yes it was deregulation. specifically the price that generators sold power to utilities (eg PG&E) was deregulated. then enron took stuff offline and otherwise manipulated the wholesale market to drive up the price

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Apparently because the scheduling system is so crappy and chaotic it is pretty common for vaccination sites to end up with leftover shots at the end of the day and so they'll just give them out to whoever shows up around closing time so they don't go to waste. A couple people I know have been able to get vaccinated this way even though it's not their turn yet.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I would rather have a republican than Newsom. I’m totally fine if that’s what happens, including dragging California through the mud. I’ve never been happy with him on any level. Never wanted him in office or his ilk. I’m sick of neolibs, and this one in particular just emanates slime.

$0.02, feel free to poo poo on my opinion

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

Also to appeal to the Trump base the CA GOP would absolutely throw their weight

What Trump base? The state GOP only wins when it abandons all sense of culture war and focuses on scope of government and taxation and where it intersects with regionalism.

California's doing too well for a Trump base, the whole gist of Trump smashing the windows and griefing the advantageous, well-off parts of the country on behalf of the country that was "left behind" when it refused to modernize. Even the conservative parts of California aren't "left behind", they are the window even if they refuse to notice it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mitztronic posted:

I would rather have a republican than Newsom. I’m totally fine if that’s what happens, including dragging California through the mud. I’ve never been happy with him on any level. Never wanted him in office or his ilk. I’m sick of neolibs, and this one in particular just emanates slime.

I'm sure there are some totally non slimy republicans available like

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

What Trump base? The state GOP only wins when it abandons all sense of culture war and focuses on scope of government and taxation and where it intersects with regionalism.

California's doing too well for a Trump base, the whole gist of Trump smashing the windows and griefing the advantageous, well-off parts of the country on behalf of the country that was "left behind" when it refused to modernize. Even the conservative parts of California aren't "left behind", they are the window even if they refuse to notice it.

There is a plenty big Trump base in rural CA, hell even in the Bay there were plenty of dipshits driving around with their massive Trump flags and poo poo as the election approached. Fealty to him is just as much about culture war and Qanon bullshit as it is about prosperity.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

mitztronic posted:

Gavin sucks but a Republican would be worse. Our goal should be a further left Dem, not another Republican who's just going to hand out tax cuts while all of the problems we were mad at Newsom about get worse.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Jaxyon posted:

I'm sure there are some totally non slimy republicans available like

I thought Arnold was a fine governor. But It doesn’t matter, we aren’t going to end up with a republican. It’s a statement to how much I dislike newsom

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Arnold sucked and tried to do poo poo like force Chiang to severely cut the pay of state workers for the duration that the legislature refused to agree to his lovely budget that would have functionally defunded our school system. Just because he's one of the less crazy Republicans now doesn't mean he is or ever was good policy-wise.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Can't wait for Dwayne Johnson to run for governor so we can see if CA voters will fall for "lets try this Republican actor out because I like his movie persona" a third time.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Sydin posted:

Arnold sucked and tried to do poo poo like force Chiang to severely cut the pay of state workers for the duration that the legislature refused to agree to his lovely budget that would have functionally defunded our school system. Just because he's one of the less crazy Republicans now doesn't mean he is or ever was good policy-wise.

He also wanted to sell off certain state parks/lands for temporary fixes to the budget, iirc.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Can't wait for Dwayne Johnson to run for governor so we can see if CA voters will fall for "lets try this Republican actor out because I like his movie persona" a third time.

The Democratic Party can’t fail it can only be failed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Centrist Committee posted:

The Democratic Party can’t fail it can only be failed.

LOL not sure how that replies to what I said at all, but OK

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jaxyon posted:

Running as a convincing outsider is political dynamite. People will always fall for it as long as the candidate is competent and can show he's not a "typical" politician.

With successful Hollywood actors, you're also talking about people with lots of media training. It's probably the best training you can get to be a politician without being some kind of beltway insider, sadly.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Jaxyon posted:

To be clear I think the recall effort is dumb (other than too shake a stick at Newsom), The Rock would be a terrible governor, but I'm never not going to tease this as a scenario should the recall actually gain enough traction to oust Newsom while he trips over himself (I highly doubt the recall on the ballot will get votes above 40). That said... why is The Rock a theoretical Republican candidate? Apparently he voted for Obama twice, skipped 2016, and then endorsed Biden/Harris via video in 2020. I'm not saying he's a progressive candidate at all, but I don't see why he would run under the Republican banner.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BeAuMaN posted:

To be clear I think the recall effort is dumb (other than too shake a stick at Newsom), The Rock would be a terrible governor, but I'm never not going to tease this as a scenario should the recall actually gain enough traction to oust Newsom while he trips over himself (I highly doubt the recall on the ballot will get votes above 40). That said... why is The Rock a theoretical Republican candidate? Apparently he voted for Obama twice, skipped 2016, and then endorsed Biden/Harris via video in 2020. I'm not saying he's a progressive candidate at all, but I don't see why he would run under the Republican banner.

He's a lifelong Republican who switched to independent because he thought Trump was a jerk. So vote for him if you're a big fan of bipartisan tax cuts, because I assure you that would be at the top of his agenda.

Edit: he also wouldn't stand out as a Democrat and would be to the right of both the state and national party. Running as a "sensible" Republican would make for much better marketing.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

BeAuMaN posted:

You should watch the documentary Walking Tall (2004).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BeAuMaN posted:

He's a registered Republican(or used to be, and dropped it when the racism got too overt), and his wife is in finance.

If he's a Democrat now, I"m still not voting for him, but that's a shift.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm not ever voting for GOP candidate fundy q-anon teabaggrunt wingnut regardless of Newsom's actions. Ever. loving. Ever.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Jaxyon posted:

He's a registered Republican(or used to be, and dropped it when the racism got too overt), and his wife is in finance.

If he's a Democrat now, I"m still not voting for him, but that's a shift.
There's plenty of Democrats in finance? Also apparently they divorced in 2008 and now he's married to some singer since 2019 who he's had two daughters with? And certainly not suggesting anyone should vote for him if this recall election would somehow come to pass. His claims on voting and endorsement may certainly be performative.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Edit: he also wouldn't stand out as a Democrat and would be to the right of both the state and national party. Running as a "sensible" Republican would make for much better marketing.
I think that was true in the 2003 recall election but I don't think it would be true in a theoretical 2022(?) recall election. I think endorsing himself as Republican would lose him votes, and that he'd gain republican votes either way, which if we were to go by voter registration are edge votes (I imagine if they're told that their vote on, say, Cox is to be wasted, but The Rock has a chance of defeating Newsom, many would peel, but that's just me guessing). If the ballot is setup like the 2003 election then there's two questions on ballot: 1.) Should Governor be Recalled Y/N? 2.) Who should be the replacement Governor?
So in this case, everyone who is "voting" for Newsom to stay in office is voting No on the first question. Newsom retains office if Question 1 gets over 50% "No" Votes. However, if Question 1 gets over 50% "Yes" votes... then it goes to question 2. Who would be running under the Democratic banner to replace Newsom? And furthermore, what does the Democratic Party do in this situation? Do they strongly back Newsom? Do they hedge their bets and openly back both Newsom and his theoretical replacement? Does the party send out cards telling them exactly how to vote? Does the party look weak if they strongly endorse both the incumbent and a theoretical replacement candidate?

Honestly I don't remember what the Democratic party did in 2003; did they just dump Davis to the curb?

I hope you could see that there's probably some vote splitting going on here. Also how many people who vote No on Question 1 also vote on Question 2?

This situation creates this weird perfect storm where the Democratic Party isn't in the best position to do messaging, and certainly someone like The Rock could, given split votes, capture a majority, especially if he captures a bunch of undecided independents; What if he only wins with like 35% of the vote on question 2? How likely is that to happen? :shrug: But I could see it happening.

At the very least theorizing about this is less depressing than whatever COVID news is coming out California :coronatoot:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

His signature move is the People's Elbow which sounds pretty communist if you ask me

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

His signature move is the People's Elbow which sounds pretty communist if you ask me

I believe it used to be the Corporate Elbow.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah it was Corporate Elbow for a minute. He's an opportunist with no ideological commitment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BeAuMaN posted:

There's plenty of Democrats in finance? Also apparently they divorced in 2008 and now he's married to some singer since 2019 who he's had two daughters with? And certainly not suggesting anyone should vote for him if this recall election would somehow come to pass. His claims on voting and endorsement may certainly be performative.

I mean California has elected to Repulican actors who both were bad but popular maybe lets not go with a former republican actor and maybe instead do a leftist organizer?