Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

General Dog posted:

It used to be on CW Seed in the US, which is free (with ads).

Also I did not enjoy Pushing Daisies very much on re-visit. I liked it when it aired, but coming back to it 10 years later, watching it felt like chugging corn syrup.

US only, unfortunately.

But drat, I liked it a lot a decade ago too. Maybe I shouldn't re-watch it...

Was hoping there was an easy streaming site that would let me not worry about things like VPNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The people that will go to jail in the gamestop scheme will be all those associates that pushed preorders on you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seiferguy posted:

The people that will go to jail in the gamestop scheme will be all those associates that pushed preorders on you.

It should be the managers that threatened the associates with job loss if they didn't get pre-order numbers up.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It should be the managers that threatened the associates with job loss if they didn't get pre-order numbers up.

Purge middle management everywhere with righteous hellfire

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Samadhi posted:

Purge middle management everywhere with righteous hellfire

Ha! I'm not one of those anymore! Booya!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
a highlight from tonight's Jackbox:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Yeah I called my mother to pick her brain on what's going on and after explaining what /r/wallstreetbets was she said she was going to call one of her friends in the market monitoring division (there's a group that actively monitors any unusual stock activity that triggers a freeze on a stock, which has happened tons with GME since friday). So if anyone gets their heads torn off by old, angry chinese ladies that don't understand technology, sorry.

I found this thread which as someone barely competent in the area makes the most sense, behemoth vs behemoth with some lucky retail investors along for the ride

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1353890766800621569

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1354122115511840769

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coco13 posted:

a highlight from tonight's Jackbox:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What harness is this? I really like it. I just picked up a ruffwear for the pooch this winter and I like it well enough but this looks more like what I was looking for.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Stuck in board meeting that should take 15 minutes that will actually take 3 hours.

First ten minutes have been spent debating on whether to start, despite having quorum and having no substantial issues to discuss.

Edit: the second ten minutes are the technical difficulties part of the debacle.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 27, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
More Jackbox:

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight
Random question: I used to frequent here much more often, so maybe I'm out of the loop, but... does the forum still do the NFL Animated GIFs thread? That was basically the only thing that kept me going in the offseason years ago....

I don't think I see it, but I may be missing some clever (confusing) thread title....

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
We used to have one but one never got made for the 2020 season

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight
Ah, got it. Too bad, 'cause this season had a ton of good material... Thanks!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/kemz_1/status/1354076978538815489

oof

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just don't get how you become so invested in the disinformation where you get to the point where you're trying to drag someone out of the hospital.

Like, even if you believe the virus isn't real or whatever that situation boils down to 'well I don't think he needs oxygen to live.' Even if the whole Covid-19 thing is a hoax something or other is wrong with people who can't breathe on their own.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

So can I get the longer version of your tl;dr from the books they recommend in the OP? Not sure how to get the major bullets from an 866 page thread.

Fair enough, although with threads like that, it's perfectly fine to skim the OP and then drop in and ask questions, no need to read the whole thing.

But tl;dr:
Bernstein's 4 pillars is still an excellent primer on long-term retirement investing. It's dated in certain respects but nothing in that book will steer you wildly wrong.

For a shorter intro rather than a hefty tome, If You Can (2014) is much more recent, very solid, and a lot shorter.

Vanguard is recommended in that OP: Fidelity is very similar, better UI, theoretically not quite as good due to how Vanguard is uniquely structured, but you can't go wrong with index funds from either.

I'd treat the rest of the reading material in the OP as "for further reading if you're still interested" but a cool thing is to just bookmark the thread, jump to the last page, and keep up with it for a few weeks. You'll see lots of discussions and probably someone will come in and post their lovely 401(k) options and get advice on it, and probably two or three people will at some point insist that the market is about to crash and it's time to move into cash or use a hedging strategy and they will get piled on by everyone else for being wrong.

Also, Moana posts regularly in that thread and they are an actual professional financial advisor.

Qwijib0 posted:

I found this thread which as someone barely competent in the area makes the most sense, behemoth vs behemoth with some lucky retail investors along for the ride

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1353890766800621569

https://twitter.com/toxic/status/1354122115511840769

For some reading on what dark pools are (it sounds a lot more sinister than it really is):
https://squeezemetrics.com/monitor/download/pdf/short_is_long.pdf

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

I just don't get how you become so invested in the disinformation where you get to the point where you're trying to drag someone out of the hospital.

Like, even if you believe the virus isn't real or whatever that situation boils down to 'well I don't think he needs oxygen to live.' Even if the whole Covid-19 thing is a hoax something or other is wrong with people who can't breathe on their own.

The dude screams he's an officer of the court and if anyone touches him he'll sue them so I assume he's the brit equivalent of a sovcit

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jc pennis

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

dmkmills posted:

Ah, got it. Too bad, 'cause this season had a ton of good material... Thanks!

Maybe next season, I forgot about that thread and you are right it produced gold

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Who was the poster that would post gifs in the college GDTs? Winkie something?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough, although with threads like that, it's perfectly fine to skim the OP and then drop in and ask questions, no need to read the whole thing.

But tl;dr:
Bernstein's 4 pillars is still an excellent primer on long-term retirement investing. It's dated in certain respects but nothing in that book will steer you wildly wrong.

For a shorter intro rather than a hefty tome, If You Can (2014) is much more recent, very solid, and a lot shorter.

Vanguard is recommended in that OP: Fidelity is very similar, better UI, theoretically not quite as good due to how Vanguard is uniquely structured, but you can't go wrong with index funds from either.

I'd treat the rest of the reading material in the OP as "for further reading if you're still interested" but a cool thing is to just bookmark the thread, jump to the last page, and keep up with it for a few weeks. You'll see lots of discussions and probably someone will come in and post their lovely 401(k) options and get advice on it, and probably two or three people will at some point insist that the market is about to crash and it's time to move into cash or use a hedging strategy and they will get piled on by everyone else for being wrong.

Also, Moana posts regularly in that thread and they are an actual professional financial advisor.

For some reading on what dark pools are (it sounds a lot more sinister than it really is):
https://squeezemetrics.com/monitor/download/pdf/short_is_long.pdf

Citadel has a dark pool, but is also a broker dealer (as well as a hedge fund, separate legal entities). A dark pool just means it isn’t a lit exchange, not sinister at all. All major players with a lot of stock have them, if they trade there they don’t pay fees. Citadel are also major backers of the members exchange which is a lit exchange, but they have to pay fees.

Citadel cannot front run it is against the law and taken very seriously, they can get first crack at trades an internalize the trade without posting it out on the market if the client wouldn’t have gotten a better price. Lots of people pay robonhood for flow, and other retail investor places, because retail investors are not smart and generally their trades make the person who does trades it for them a lot of money.

Most rules in trading protect the customer from having the broker dealer screw them, there are a lot of them.

AMA the BD industry I’ll answer what I can, finally my knowledge of niche finance comes into play!

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 27, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sweeper posted:

Citadel has a dark pool, but is also a broker dealer (as well as a hedge fund, separate legal entities). A dark pool just means it isn’t a lit exchange, not sinister at all. All major players with a lot of stock have them, if they trade there they don’t pay fees. Citadel are also major backers of the members exchange which is a lit exchange, but they have to pay fees.

You could plop this down in the middle of a Mass Effect conversation and I wouldn't realize it was about something else.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AMC is the new reddit scam if anyone wants to get in early.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

AMC is the new reddit scam if anyone wants to get in early.

BB moreso than AMC.

Y’all, just check the Daily Discussion threads. They’re simple and informative, and are a good jumping off point for you so you can make your own decisions.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

BB moreso than AMC.

lmao blackberry?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Looks like the house is about to throw out some winning gamblers

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1354408106139275266

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Article about Sam Brownback in the local paper today and I don't know whether to :lol: or :sigh:. Well both are appropriate I guess. This is the guy who bankrupted Kansas and went on to proudly work for the Trump admin:

quote:

Now a private citizen, Brownback said he plans to turn his attention to racial reconciliation in addition to continuing to promote religious freedom.

It could also help burnish a mixed legacy.

What, like mixed between bad and godawful? He said a few things about race and Muslims that were nice but didn't attempt to do a damned thing. And he's got opinions and enacted legislation exactly like you'd expect for someone who loves 'religious freedom.'

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Lol

https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/status/1354431436716183553?s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

addie had the worst diarrhea night of this whole thing last night

every loving hour she needed to go out it was terrible

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This Reddit pumping GameStop thing is the funniest thing to happen in a while, it’s amazing watching so many finance dorks melt down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

harperdc posted:

This Reddit pumping GameStop thing is the funniest thing to happen in a while, it’s amazing watching so many finance dorks melt down.

there's whispers of hedge funds needing a bailout which lmao

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

addie had the worst diarrhea night of this whole thing last night

every loving hour she needed to go out it was terrible

Poor Addie! :ohdear: Maybe the hike stressed out her digestive system? Hope she gets feeling better.

harperdc posted:

It's the greatest thing. Rich elitists getting beat at their own game by the people :allears:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

But tl;dr:

:hai:

I did bookmark it for later, so I guess I'll jump to the last few pages and check in every once and a while. Vanguard is who my company 401k is through, so yay I guess on that. I've always put as much as my company will match into it, but feel like I should probably start paying more attention if there's big gains to be made with relatively modest efforts.

Grittybeard posted:

You could plop this down in the middle of a Mass Effect conversation and I wouldn't realize it was about something else.

:lol: as soon as I saw "Citadel" and "broker" my first thought was "ohhh, this is the work of the shadow broker"

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Is there even anything the number lovers can do about reddit pumping stocks?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

there's whispers of hedge funds needing a bailout which lmao

This suggests similar

https://twitter.com/mrsmcglover/status/1354252534534205440

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
loooooooooooool

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1354437811269726208

Kinda hard to tell if he ratted out any Proud Boys, but I'm sure the org is gonna kick him out regardless

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guze posted:

Is there even anything the number lovers can do about reddit pumping stocks?

theyve been trying a lot of things and the short answer seems to be "lmao, no"

they're doing this with Express now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ahahahahahaha if the mets get hosed again