Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

addie had the worst diarrhea night of this whole thing last night

every loving hour she needed to go out it was terrible

:(

She's still eating and drinking fine?

Just make sure she stays hydrated. I would go out of my way to direct her to water. Dehydration is the biggest concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lmao if you want number go up, just make it go up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

:(

She's still eating and drinking fine?

Just make sure she stays hydrated. I would go out of my way to direct her to water. Dehydration is the biggest concern.

shes eating and chugging and making GBS threads

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this guy is a hero

https://twitter.com/mrsmcglover/status/1354254856324694016?s=20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even better

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1354437911131934723

Can we basically say they just Goonswarmed a specific stock or these specific hedge funds, because that’s what it really sounds like they’ve done.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

They're burning hedge funds to the ground as a joke.

Lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

every trading platform has crashed

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's like Bobby Bonilla Day came early this year!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guze posted:

They're burning hedge funds to the ground as a joke.

Lol

Look at what else they’re throwing money at, it’s counter-loving the vulture capital that gutted retail for a quick buck. It’s a beautiful thing while it lasts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I do not understand this stocks thing at all and it's literally all anyone I know anywhere is talking about.

Ehud is this how you feel whenever a new Star Wars thing comes out

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This is literally the haha money machine go brrr meme

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
For every one hedge fund that gets hosed there's a bunch of others making bank fyi

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Anyhow financial transaction tax now pls

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao blackberry?

Yup.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

every trading platform has crashed

Was closed off**

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Was closed off**

By Trading and Markets! who are not having a fun morning according to my mother.

Also it looks like the brokers are going to have investigations opened on them soon, as they're definitely lying about having the correct amount of shorted stocks, so there's some SEC fines coming. (There's always SEC fines coming, it's not a deterrent)

Then we had a 20 minute argument about the housing crisis where we agree on everything, except she blames government regulation and the end of redlining for the market collapse and not, you know, the firms making CDO's and synthetic CDO's and the bond rating agencies pretending that poo poo was AAA.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

By Trading and Markets! who are not having a fun morning according to my mother.

Also it looks like the brokers are going to have investigations opened on them soon, as they're definitely lying about having the correct amount of shorted stocks, so there's some SEC fines coming. (There's always SEC fines coming, it's not a deterrent)

Then we had a 20 minute argument about the housing crisis where we agree on everything, except she blames government regulation and the end of redlining for the market collapse and not, you know, the firms making CDO's and synthetic CDO's and the bond rating agencies pretending that poo poo was AAA.

Asking because I legit don't know but the bolded part made me wonder - is this essentially a bribe? I mean, a "fine" is in place but with it not being a deterrent it's essentially a payment for the SEC to look the other way, right?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is the SEC the most toothless of all government regulators? Feels it.

Their typical punishment is to fine organizations that have unlimited money a couple million.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

loooooooooooool

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1354437811269726208

Kinda hard to tell if he ratted out any Proud Boys, but I'm sure the org is gonna kick him out regardless

Oh man I can't wait for 6 months from now when the next guy is also a massive snitch trying to save himself from 20 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zg-MhEXb4c

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

C-Euro posted:

I do not understand this stocks thing at all and it's literally all anyone I know anywhere is talking about.

Ehud is this how you feel whenever a new Star Wars thing comes out

sort of

but the stock thing seems way funnier

I can't wait to see what bullshit legislation passes to protect wealthy investors and screw over REGULAR FOLK like you and me!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is cute but also kind of terrifying if you were trying to do something with that hand. Not like you're going to be able to tell the Bullmastiff no very easily if he really wants that hand.

https://twitter.com/TheTattooedProf/status/1354445784327081989

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Asking because I legit don't know but the bolded part made me wonder - is this essentially a bribe? I mean, a "fine" is in place but with it not being a deterrent it's essentially a payment for the SEC to look the other way, right?

Yeah, I've been proofreading her investigation reports for like two decades and everyone is just a list of various rules they broke, their excuses of missing paperwork / bad programmers, and then occasionally I'd go look at the fine announcements and there'd be some nominal fines.

Like, the funniest stuff I was reading was back when they were investigating socially responsible funds 10-15 years ago and they were just lying out their rear end. (Proudly proclaiming they wouldn't invest in Johnson & Johnson because they sold soap to the military, but on investigation were in like GE who was selling them jet engines)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Nah, not really. There's too many things for the staff to keep up on and you can see where the areas of focus for the SEC are based upon recent enforcement actions. There's lots of (sometimes) unintentional fuckups that can prompt a fine or investigation. Companies / firms (largely) are not going to deliberately do things that will put their registration at risk, at least in my experience.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Is the SEC the most toothless of all government regulators? Feels it.

Their typical punishment is to fine organizations that have unlimited money a couple million.

I'd say it's probably the IRS, largely due to staffing issues and completely antiquated systems. Both deliberately done!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dango Bango posted:

Its treated as a cost of doing business. If you make a billion dollars but are fined 300 million who loving cares? Liberals who want "justice" and no one else. People get screwed over and it looks like some measure of justice buts its not because they still pocket more than twice that fine.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ehud posted:

I can't wait to see what bullshit legislation passes to protect wealthy investors and screw over REGULAR FOLK like you and me!
They're already working on it

https://twitter.com/Street_Insider/status/1354430650154176514

And I'm sure Congress is gonna begin suddenly hemming and hawing about Robinhood shortly

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 27, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

Oh this is 1000% where it's going and it should be obvious to anyone who's watching.

The hedge fund managers who actually know how this game is played and who have the right connections in government are going to have knives out for the Reddit nerds who just lost them billions of dollars as a joke. And if the SEC comes knocking on Reddit's door to go after specific traders then I can't see Reddit doing anything other than immediately selling out those users.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

swickles posted:

Its treated as a cost of doing business. If you make a billion dollars but are fined 300 million who loving cares? Liberals who want "justice" and no one else. People get screwed over and it looks like some measure of justice buts its not because they still pocket more than twice that fine.

This is how I was seeing it which prompted the question. Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'd say it's probably the IRS, largely due to staffing issues and completely antiquated systems. Both deliberately done!

Taxes and the IRS is one of those things I didn't realize was so hosed until hearing people who immigrated to the US talking about it. Like the entire tax system is intentionally arcane as hell mostly as a make-work project to ensure the continued existence of the tax accounting industry, and we just ignore it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dirty shrimp money posted:

And I'm sure Congress is gonna begin suddenly hemming and hawing about Robinhood shortly

This will do more to radicalize people than anything from 2012 to now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1354445920226713604?s=21

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Send them 600 dollar checks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kalli posted:

:yikes:

I should visit that Blockbuster in Bend. It's only a couple hours from Portland.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Company wide meeting just started with a Bernie meme, it's dead.

To my mother the Fair Housing Act and regulations made by 2000 are responsible for banks needing to give out ninja loans to people who had zero chance to pay and also treat them like they're 30 year fixed mortgages that could never ever fail.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gonna start remembering random mall stores from my childhood and invest in those. This is my KB toys, suncoast, discovery channel heavy portfolio

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kalli posted:

Company wide meeting just started with a Bernie meme, it's dead.

To my mother the Fair Housing Act and regulations made by 2000 are responsible for banks needing to give out ninja loans to people who had zero chance to pay and also treat them like they're 30 year fixed mortgages that could never ever fail.

Did she get that from Foxnews? Cause that is almost word for word her explanation for the 2008 crash except add a "Because Obama" somewhere in it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Gonna start remembering random mall stores from my childhood and invest in those. This is my KB toys, suncoast, discovery channel heavy portfolio

Sharper image will rise again.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Yup They're hosed. Several different stocks were identified and you better believe everyone's going to jumping into this. My only concern is I need to follow the brilliant dude who has been behind this discovery. Everything hes said has come true, even the wild poo poo.

Im so mad at myself for staring at that stock at $12 and saying "How the gently caress.. is this going to be $50?" and then sure enough. At least I got in at 90.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Can I still buy stock in ICQ?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Sharper image will rise again.

radio shack still kinda exists, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Heck, ill invest in Sears! My local mall still has one and they still have great deals on tools!

Vertical Lime posted:

radio shack still kinda exists, right

They still exist via small companies being an authorized radio shack dealer, but my state still has 1 store left of them. Ironically that state has a mayor who is a strong QAnon believer.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 27, 2021