Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

xcheopis posted:

Got my second shot yesterday and I feel very tired and the injection site is swollen and hurts (which did not happen with the first shot).

Totally normal for it to last up to a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

Totally normal for it to last up to a week.

Yep. I had very mild side effects the first time and was back to normal in two days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoastBeef posted:

Are you a new yorker writer?

No, but I get that a lot.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Two more cases of the SA variant in New Zealand, both in people who tested negative in hotel quarantine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
goons ruin everything

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Lolie posted:

Two more cases of the SA variant in New Zealand, both in people who tested negative in hotel quarantine.

I wonder if maybe the current tests aren't as good at detecting the SA varient?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

the first SA variant was 4chan and it ruined the world, not expecting less from this next one

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

FiskTireBoy posted:

I wonder if maybe the current tests aren't as good at detecting the SA varient?

The concern at the moment is that it may have a longer incubation period, which would necessitate longer quarantine times.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the first SA variant was 4chan and it ruined the world, not expecting less from this next one

Make us proud, variant. Make us proud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The virus’s depravity knew no limits.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Lolie posted:

The concern at the moment is that it may have a longer incubation period, which would necessitate longer quarantine times.

It's well accepted that this isn't the case and that there was some as of yet unknown infection event that occurred at the managed isolation facility as all 3 cases occurred in the same one. They're currently working to clear out the hotel and stop using it as an MIQ building until they can figure out what happened.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of NZ this is a spectacularly bad take from a British journalist who got rightfully ratio'd for it:

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1354375431949053953

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Beartaco posted:

It's well accepted that this isn't the case and that there was some as of yet unknown infection event that occurred at the managed isolation facility as all 3 cases occurred in the same one. They're currently working to clear out the hotel and stop using it as an MIQ building until they can figure out what happened.

A similar situation happened at a quarantine hotel in Queensland recently too. I haven’t heard anything about the results of their investigation yet as to how the infection spread happened but I know they were looking closely at ventilation and aircon systems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

Speaking of NZ this is a spectacularly bad take from a British journalist who got rightfully ratio'd for it:

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1354375431949053953

https://twitter.com/staffo_sez/status/1354403814791467013

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Helith posted:

A similar situation happened at a quarantine hotel in Queensland recently too. I haven’t heard anything about the results of their investigation yet as to how the infection spread happened but I know they were looking closely at ventilation and aircon systems.

That's been the discussion here too, though if I had to guess, it hasn't been an issue in the months and months the facility has been operating so it's probably more likely that someone just sneezed on a particularly high trafficked door knob or something.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Beartaco posted:

That's been the discussion here too, though if I had to guess, it hasn't been an issue in the months and months the facility has been operating so it's probably more likely that someone just sneezed on a particularly high trafficked door knob or something.

The SA and UK variants are more infectious though, so what worked before might not work with them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does anyone remember that article recently that was estimating X lives could have been saved by just improving housing security? Anyone have the link handy? I meant to read it later but I'm having a hell of a time finding it again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Helith posted:

The SA and UK variants are more infectious though, so what worked before might not work with them.

The SA variant, also called the Goon variant

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Lolie posted:

I don't jnow about new variants but this study of the og variant:

"The estimated tail probability that incubation period is longer than 14 days is between 5 and 10%"

The CDC shortened the US quarantine period to 10 days in response to to many complaining that 14 was too long and ignoring the orders. That allows a probable 20% leaving quarantine still infectious, which is dumb as gently caress, bur also par for the course.

If you are actually trying to be serious about quarantine, you probably want more than 14 days and/or subsequent movement restrictions for some time.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Does anyone remember that article recently that was estimating X lives could have been saved by just improving housing security? Anyone have the link handy? I meant to read it later but I'm having a hell of a time finding it again

Yeah it said "If people are housed they live longer and are healthier. Also it costs less to house them than to treat the outcomes that result from them being houseless," but no one ever thought that was believable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

"The estimated tail probability that incubation period is longer than 14 days is between 5 and 10%"

The CDC shortened the US quarantine period to 10 days in response to to many complaining that 14 was too long and ignoring the orders. That allows a probable 20% leaving quarantine still infectious, which is dumb as gently caress, bur also par for the course.

If you are actually trying to be serious about quarantine, you probably want more than 14 days and/or subsequent movement restrictions for some time.

Yeah we've known since April/May last year that the incubation period is sometimes longer than 14 days. The 10 day quarantine period was a concession because they found that people weren't isolating for the full 14 days of quarantine and they hoped that reducing it to 10 days would make is less onerous.

There was a survey sometime recent where they asked people how long they self-isolated after they started showing covid symptoms and a frightening percentage of people just didn't isolate at all, but I can't find it now. People just DGAF

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blitter posted:

From memory we allow people who've had two negative tests to exit hotel quarantine on day 11 but they are still supposed to isolate at home for a few more days and to get tested again if they develop symptoms.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What’s the deal with the second dose window? I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information about when you should get it / what happens if you don’t get it in the right window.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the deal with the second dose window? I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information about when you should get it / what happens if you don’t get it in the right window.

Also they can't guarantee that everyone will get the same vaccine for their second dose.

E: UK https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-vaccine-idUSKBN2970CK

USA: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/cdc-changes-covid-vaccine-guidance-to-ok-mixing-pfizer-and-moderna-shots-in-exceptional-si.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2021

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

xcheopis posted:

Yep. I had very mild side effects the first time and was back to normal in two days.

It was two days of arm pain for me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got my first shot today and I have a pretty bad headache right now. I've heard that taking Tylenol/aspirin too soon after the shot can negatively impact the vaccine's efficacy. Is this true? I'd love to pop a couple pills, but I can tough it out if it's gonna gently caress with my immunity.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It was two days of arm pain for me.

I look forward to the day when "talking about the weather" is replaced by "talking about your vaccine side effects". :buddy:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
so this double mask thing - I really don’t want to buy one time use masks to wear under my cloth ones because it seems wasteful (and people might as well be tossing em in the streets here, ffffff). Is there another type of mask to wear underneath my cloth mask?

Normally I’d stick with my cloth ones but like I’m forced to commute to work and there’s no forced masking anywhere so uh, maybe doubling up might be wise. I haven’t gotten it so far but I ALSO haven’t gotten my yearly “die teen witch die” cold yet so I don’t want that to upgrade to a “no bitch actually die”.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
(real) N95 masks or filters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Only double-mask if you have a KN95 or better underneath.

If you have a KN95 or better, the main reasons to double-mask are to keep contamination off the outside of the good mask and to protect others from your exhalations if the mask is valved.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Pile as many masks onto your head as you can fit

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/01/25/is-a-double-mask-really-better-than-a-single.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure they’ve calculated efficiency correctly there.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

so this double mask thing - I really don’t want to buy one time use masks to wear under my cloth ones because it seems wasteful (and people might as well be tossing em in the streets here, ffffff). Is there another type of mask to wear underneath my cloth mask?

Normally I’d stick with my cloth ones but like I’m forced to commute to work and there’s no forced masking anywhere so uh, maybe doubling up might be wise. I haven’t gotten it so far but I ALSO haven’t gotten my yearly “die teen witch die” cold yet so I don’t want that to upgrade to a “no bitch actually die”.

I bought a 3M 6200 mask and I look like a piece of poo poo wearing it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
But it's the inner values that count... as long as your lung x-ray doesn't look like poo poo everything is fine, is what I am saying.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I don’t post much these days but I’m bummed cause I just found out my sister in Houston just tested positive and also has the flu. I don’t live in Texas anymore but my mom lives with her and like me is someone more vulnerable due to health issues.

I wish there was something I could do but I am barely surviving as it is as I wait for my unemployment to get straightened out (I was one of the people who had their benefits run out before congress extended it and the system is a mess) and have like 5 bucks to my name right now after using my stimulus to be able to pay my phone and some other things like my rent to my uncle that I live with. Thanks capitalism. :)

I’m trying to stay positive but my patience and sanity is in question right now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Start robbing rich folk

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Start robbing rich folk

Maybe I should invest these 5 dollars in the stock market lol.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If I put 5 masks on do I become immune

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

If I put 5 masks on do I become immune

Immune from breathing at all, so the safest you can be really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone using respirators but covering the exhale vent? What are you using as adhesive