Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad was using his Galaxy S8 for some navigation today, and the voice was quite echoey, like it was recorded in an empty bathroom or something. Does anyone have any idea why that's happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

My dad was using his Galaxy S8 for some navigation today, and the voice was quite echoey, like it was recorded in an empty bathroom or something. Does anyone have any idea why that's happening?

navigator voice gotta take a poo poo from time to time too

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just got the new Samsung wireless trio as a free bonus and it's great.

I looked up some reviews and people are saying it charges slow and often doesn't work with a 42mm Galaxy Watch 3 (which is what I have).

Anyone have other suggestions?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Getting 8+ hours screen on time with the Exynos s21 ultra with 120hz and 1440p. That's way better than any other Samsung released recently and they didn't do 120/1440. I tried my hardest to kill it today and still have 20% left at bed time.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Any recommendations for Oneplus 7T cases? Also I love the phone but it's a tad too tall for me. I've been out of the phone game for a while but are there any phones around the same performance/buck tier but shorter?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Is there a way to get a deal on a halfway decent phone these days WITHOUT upgrading to an unlimited 5G plan?

I have a Galaxy S8 which is serviceable, but I wouldn't mind moving up in the world. Verizon even has a pretty decent deal right now to get $800 off the S21 with a trade-in, but the hitch is that you have to sign up for one of their Unlimited plans with 5G. I've got a 5GB plan right now and I think I've pushed my data cap maybe one time? And obviously that almost never happens these days with WFH and COVID. So paying an extra $20-30 a month for service I don't need is not my favorite.

But I also can't find even an older model for less than $500. I'd consider the S20 FE or a Pixel, I just don't see a lot of discounts out there. I guess it's the new landscape.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 24, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Chad Sexington posted:

Is there a way to get a deal on a halfway decent phone these days WITHOUT upgrading to an unlimited 5G plan?

I have a Galaxy S8 which is serviceable, but I wouldn't mind moving up in the world. Verizon even has a pretty decent deal right now to get $800 off the S21 with a trade-in, but the hitch is that you have to sign up for one of their Unlimited plans with 5G. I've got a 5GB plan right now and I think I've pushed my data cap maybe one time? And obviously that almost never happens these days with WFH and COVID. So paying an extra $20-30 a month for service I don't need is not my favorite.

But I also can't find even an older model for less than $500. I'd consider the S20 FE or a Pixel, I just don't see a lot of discounts out there. I guess it's the new landscape.

If you're willing to switch carriers, I've been pretty happy with Mint Mobile, plus they're bumping the size of all their plans in a week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung will straight up give you $250 off of an S21 for your S8 if you buy unlocked directly from them. So that's $549 for the phone and you get $100 of pre-order credit for accessories.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Neo_Crimson posted:

I looked up some reviews and people are saying it charges slow and often doesn't work with a 42mm Galaxy Watch 3 (which is what I have).

Anyone have other suggestions?

Not quite a charger, but I got this fast charging powerbank free with my GWatch 3 and have no complaints.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I haven't seen a single horrible monster except this little guy who snuck into my apartment 100ft feet off the ground in inner city Melbourne somehow.

Definitely did google it though. Just a harmless other spider eating spider.

Well, the biggest ones eat things like possums, but not humans. Yet.

Blink twice if the spider is making you say this, I'll break out the heavy artillery

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

ChazTurbo posted:

Any recommendations for Oneplus 7T cases?

I have this one does my OnePlus 7t, and I got the same one for my OnePlus 8. I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Liqui...nePlus+7&sr=8-5

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My carrier is Google Fi, and I'm about to start a new job, they don't provide a cell phone but I'm expected to be available via cell phone. Is it possible to set up a Google Voice number to be a second number to contact my personal cell phone, preferably one I could set a different ringer/text tone for, or do I just need to decide between setting up a second phone or giving out my personal cell number?

EDIT: Assuming it's a work phone I'm using primarily for calls and texts, anything wrong with the Moto G Power?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 26, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gboard is hosed up in android 11 op8t. I try to enter a string of numbers BUT THE KEYBOARD KEEPS SWITCHING BACK TO LETTERS AFTER 1 TYPED NUMBER

Jfc that is triggering. How do I disable it?!

This did not happen with op3 on android 9 on gboard. I switched phones and it started happening.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 26, 2021

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thanatosian posted:

My carrier is Google Fi, and I'm about to start a new job, they don't provide a cell phone but I'm expected to be available via cell phone. Is it possible to set up a Google Voice number to be a second number to contact my personal cell phone, preferably one I could set a different ringer/text tone for, or do I just need to decide between setting up a second phone or giving out my personal cell number?

EDIT: Assuming it's a work phone I'm using primarily for calls and texts, anything wrong with the Moto G Power?

So you can't have a Google Voice and Fi number on the same Google account, so you'll need a different account if you set up GVoice. Once you do though I guess you could just turn off the call forwarding on GVoice and set different ringtones for GVoice and the phone app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I fix the Play Store when downloads get stuck partway through? I've tried clearing the cache and the storage for the Play Store, restarting between each step, but it hadn't helped.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Cross posting from the App thread;

MeKeV posted:

My pixel 2 could record my camera feeds in tinycam pro no problem. But no matter what mp4muxer I choose (or any other seemingly relevant settings I can find) it won't record on my pixel 4a 5G, just get black/green screen with some pixeling artefacts.
Is there some hardware codec I'm missing with the more budget chip in the 4a?

It's a bit annoying and disappointing.

Any other decent IP camera apps I could try out as an alternative?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Gboard is hosed up in android 11 op8t. I try to enter a string of numbers BUT THE KEYBOARD KEEPS SWITCHING BACK TO LETTERS AFTER 1 TYPED NUMBER

Jfc that is triggering. How do I disable it?!

This did not happen with op3 on android 9 on gboard. I switched phones and it started happening.

Sounds like a oneplus thing

hooah posted:

How can I fix the Play Store when downloads get stuck partway through? I've tried clearing the cache and the storage for the Play Store, restarting between each step, but it hadn't helped.

I don't think I've seen this happen in years, is it a common thing for you?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What the gently caress. So they say they'll give me $478 for my S20 on trade in, but this is what the checkout looks like

???

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sourdough posted:

I don't think I've seen this happen in years, is it a common thing for you?

Only common this morning, and I was only trying to reinstall an app that was having problems. I eventually just let it sit for a few minutes and it finally finished.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

codo27 posted:

What the gently caress. So they say they'll give me $478 for my S20 on trade in, but this is what the checkout looks like

You're gonna have to give us a little more information there, man. Like who you're trading it in to, what country you're in, etc.

There are a lot of places that will do "Trade in valued at up to $X!" and that max value is only for a like-new max-spec version, while the base version is like $X-200 or something.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

bull3964 posted:

Samsung will straight up give you $250 off of an S21 for your S8 if you buy unlocked directly from them. So that's $549 for the phone and you get $100 of pre-order credit for accessories.

Thanks for this! Almost bought the S20 FE, but they yanked a deal while I had it in my cart, so I got the S21 for the same price.

I like the idea of finally having an unlocked phone so I can run away from Verizon if I want to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DrDork posted:

You're gonna have to give us a little more information there, man. Like who you're trading it in to, what country you're in, etc.

There are a lot of places that will do "Trade in valued at up to $X!" and that max value is only for a like-new max-spec version, while the base version is like $X-200 or something.

No. This is the samsung site as someone mentioned before. The Canadian site. They tell me $478 AFTER I select my exact phone and input my IMEI. Then when I move through to the checkout everything just changes because samsung.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Android Thread - Navigator voice gotta take a poo poo from time to time, too

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Anyone ITT have any experience with the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 or similar ruggedized phones? I’ve had a couple disappointments in a row buying cheap used eBay phones, and thinking I need to just bite the bullet and buy something new, so if I’m going to spend the money I’d like something that can take a beating. I don’t really feel bad about wrecking $100 phones, as long as I get a year out of them I’m happy, but it’d be disappointing to break something that costs several times as much.

I’d be switching from old iPhones, and while I’d like something 5s sized I’ve pretty much accepted that’s not really possible anymore. The only must have is a headphone jack—hence no new iPhone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I figured I'd share this with the thread: I've been using NovaLauncher forever, mostly because of the unread count badge support. I don't know when they added it but in "settings" today I noticed an option for "dynamic" badges and it's incredibly cool. Say you have 4 unread text messages. Instead of the messages icon showing a number 4, if you turn the "dynamic" option on, it will actually show you a little image/letter indicating who the text messages are from. For example, say you have four unread texts, from James, Mike, Danielle, and Phil, the messages icon will have a little "JMDP" on it. If you have a photo for that contact, it will show you a tiny photo. It works for other apps, too. The Facebook one will show me tiny profile pics of the people I have notifications from. It's awesome and I figured I'd let people here know about it because I came upon it completely by accident.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Anyone ITT have any experience with the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 or similar ruggedized phones? I’ve had a couple disappointments in a row buying cheap used eBay phones, and thinking I need to just bite the bullet and buy something new, so if I’m going to spend the money I’d like something that can take a beating. I don’t really feel bad about wrecking $100 phones, as long as I get a year out of them I’m happy, but it’d be disappointing to break something that costs several times as much.

I’d be switching from old iPhones, and while I’d like something 5s sized I’ve pretty much accepted that’s not really possible anymore. The only must have is a headphone jack—hence no new iPhone.

Personally for what you want I'd go with a Pixel 3A with an Otterbox "Symmetry" case. Here's the exact one I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OtterBox-Symmetry-Series-Lightweight-Case-for-Google-Pixel-3a-XL-Fine-Port/143565311073

(I originally had the official Google "cloth" one a goon here was nice enough to sell me for dirt cheap but I found the material was rough on my pinky where I balance the phone and after a few hours of phone stuff it actually gave me a little blemish from it).

I personally can't stand big phones, even to the point where I stopped using cases on my Pixel (small model) phones but it got to be too much; I was replacing the screens like once every 3 months. So I bought the Otterbox Symmetry which was a good compromise because it has pretty much all the protection of an Otterbox without the obnoxious bulk.

The 3A would be right up your alley; not too expensive, still supported, around the size of the 5s (I *wish* it was the exact same size), has a headphone jack etc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The 3A would be right up your alley; not too expensive, still supported, around the size of the 5s (I *wish* it was the exact same size), has a headphone jack etc.

I don't know what a new or used Pixel 3a goes for now, but I'd recommend the 4a if you can find it on sale (and even if not). It's physically smaller/lighter despite a bigger display and slightly larger battery, double the storage, more ram. You're probably looking at an extra $100 or so to go from the 3a to 4a, I'd guess? But neither is going to be very close to an iPhone 5s size, anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would do unspeakable acts for a 4.0-4.3" phone with a decent battery, modern processor, 64 (or more) GB of storage, a rear fingerprint reader, a headphone jack, and unlockable bootloader. Filthy, disgusting things.

There was a Sony phone a while back that came close but it had no fingerprint reader in the US for some reason and if you rooted the phone it disabled the camera :laffo:

Though as of 2 weeks ago I can now pass SafetyNet not only with root enabled but also Exposed and GravityBox so that last issue would be a moot point. Bless those incredible hackers.

I'm really surprised with all the aftermarket manufacturers out there that nobody is filling this demand. It's either HEUG PHONE or the Unihertz Jelly which no reasonable person could ever be able to meaningfully type on.

Edit: that link is pretty cool in showing how much smaller the 4A is compared to the 3A but it's not really the size of the phone that bothers me (as long as it can fit in a normal jeans pocket) it's the size of the screen. The one thing I'll give Steve Jobs is when he said you should be able to touch every part of the screen with your thumb. I know I sound like a grognard but nothing annoys me more than having to use two hands just to get to a hamburger menu or something. And I have hands like Jafar from Aladdin.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 27, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What in the name of god do you need root for anymore?

On the koodo site right now, a P2XL is $24, as long as you pay it out over 2 years. $765 to buy it outright, but $0 down and $1 a month on any tab size. Must be a glitch.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

What in the name of god do you need root for anymore?

What's funny is that due to some annoying, pointless changes in Android I find it even more necessary now than ever. The big one being that, at least on the Pixel (Samsung gives you the option), you can only have 4 status bar icons showing at a time. Which makes absolutely no sense; if I have empty space up there, I'd like to see that I have an eBay sale without having to go into my notifications. This can be fixed in GravityBox.

Basically GravityBox is my main reason for rooting. There's a TON of options in the SystemUI.apk that's part of the phone that Google simply doesn't allow without root. A couple examples of what I use in GravityBox (please skip this if you are easily bored to death):

• Allow for the max number of status bar icons again, just like it was in Oreo and earlier.
  • Drag my finger over the status bar to change brightness. I no longer have to leave the screen I am looking at to see what brightness level is good.
  • Remove useless padding in the status bar since my phone doesn't have rounded edges, so I can fit more stuff up there before seeing that white dot
  • Day of the week in the status bar
  • Hold the back button for a few seconds to kill the foreground app
  • Hold the power button for two seconds while the screen is off to turn on the flashlight. Surprisingly this is the one that more than a few people have seen me do and made them say "wait, how the hell did you do that, that's awesome". I'm surprised people even notice it. I never have to turn my screen on or anything else to turn the flashlight on.
  • Disable the screen turning on whenever you unplug it from a power source. That used to drive me crazy because every time I got out of my car I'd accidentally wipe away a notification or would press something by accident because the stupid screen would turn on every time I unplugged it.

Now while I'm sure there's probably apps that allow you to do stuff like have the day of the week in the status bar, I hate installing janky apps that do minimal stuff like that. Every one of the things I mentioned above is part of the actual Android UI so it's not using a single kilobyte of ram or battery.

The two other reasons are MinMinGuard (app that blocks ads in apps, and even frees up the space they use. So you know how when you are stopped at a red light and a huge Dunkin Donuts ad takes up the entire map in Waze? This blocks those, for example) and the other one is Ad-Away. I believe there are some ad-blockers on non-rooted Android like blockada except from everything I've read, they produce a pretty big battery drain. Rooted Ad-Away blocks ads by simply modifying the hosts file, so it uses absolutely no RAM and no battery life.

I admit I was kinda bummed when SafetyNet would trip but as of recently that's no longer the case, so I can finally use Nintendo's stupid online chat app again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I would do unspeakable acts for a 4.0-4.3" phone with a decent battery, modern processor, 64 (or more) GB of storage, a rear fingerprint reader, a headphone jack, and unlockable bootloader. Filthy, disgusting things.

There was a Sony phone a while back that came close but it had no fingerprint reader in the US for some reason and if you rooted the phone it disabled the camera :laffo:

Though as of 2 weeks ago I can now pass SafetyNet not only with root enabled but also Exposed and GravityBox so that last issue would be a moot point. Bless those incredible hackers.

I'm really surprised with all the aftermarket manufacturers out there that nobody is filling this demand. It's either HEUG PHONE or the Unihertz Jelly which no reasonable person could ever be able to meaningfully type on.

Edit: that link is pretty cool in showing how much smaller the 4A is compared to the 3A but it's not really the size of the phone that bothers me (as long as it can fit in a normal jeans pocket) it's the size of the screen. The one thing I'll give Steve Jobs is when he said you should be able to touch every part of the screen with your thumb. I know I sound like a grognard but nothing annoys me more than having to use two hands just to get to a hamburger menu or something. And I have hands like Jafar from Aladdin.

So, would you sacrifice battery to do so? Such a tiny phone just wouldn't have much room for battery. The iPhone SE is already noticeably worse than any other iPhone in years.

With Android hardware's higher energy consumption for a given performance target, such a small phone would struggle to make it through the day unless they went small and very fat.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

So, would you sacrifice battery to do so? Such a tiny phone just wouldn't have much room for battery. The iPhone SE is already noticeably worse than any other iPhone in years.

With Android hardware's higher energy consumption for a given performance target, such a small phone would struggle to make it through the day unless they went small and very fat.

Personally I wouldn't mind a thicker phone. I think they're a bit too thin to begin with.

Wouldn't the smaller screen mean less battery life is used, as well?

A good compromise in my opinion would be for the smaller phone to have a weaker CPU, but one that's very battery efficient. I don't think I've ever played a single 3-d game on my phone in my life so I am pretty much at the point where I probably wouldn't even notice a "green" CPU over a beefy one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Personally I wouldn't mind a thicker phone. I think they're a bit too thin to begin with.

Wouldn't the smaller screen mean less battery life is used, as well?

A good compromise in my opinion would be for the smaller phone to have a weaker CPU, but one that's very battery efficient. I don't think I've ever played a single 3-d game on my phone in my life so I am pretty much at the point where I probably wouldn't even notice a "green" CPU over a beefy one.

Bad news on the CPU front is that efficiency is mostly related to manufacturing process, rather than outright speed. Faster CPUs are able to race to idle where they get work done quickly and get back to a low power state faster. Phones with really slow CPUs do get moderately better battery life (because they're dropping frames, making janky animations, and failing to do everything that's asked of them).

Smaller screens will use less power, but we've seen a very strong pattern at this point that it's easier to have better battery life in a bigger phone. CPUs / radios use the same power no matter what.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Bad news on the CPU front is that efficiency is mostly related to manufacturing process, rather than outright speed. Faster CPUs are able to race to idle where they get work done quickly and get back to a low power state faster. Phones with really slow CPUs do get moderately better battery life (because they're dropping frames, making janky animations, and failing to do everything that's asked of them).

Smaller screens will use less power, but we've seen a very strong pattern at this point that it's easier to have better battery life in a bigger phone. CPUs / radios use the same power no matter what.

Yeah then I guess I would just be OK with a thicker phone. The thickness of a phone never bothered me as long as all parts of the screen were reachable (huge screen phones need to be thinner because it would be even harder to reach all of the screen).

I was kinda assuming there would be cell phone equivalent CPUs to like when there were Intel P4 processors but also Centrino or whatever where they were still "modern" but just much better on power consumption. Come to think of it that's the last time I can remember a CPU brand that was specifically marketed as being less power hungry than the others so I guess it's not really a thing any more. I'm pretty sure my Lenovo laptop just has a desktop CPU in it these days.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

[...]

That looks like it could be a really good solution, thanks.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yeah then I guess I would just be OK with a thicker phone. The thickness of a phone never bothered me as long as all parts of the screen were reachable (huge screen phones need to be thinner because it would be even harder to reach all of the screen).

I was kinda assuming there would be cell phone equivalent CPUs to like when there were Intel P4 processors but also Centrino or whatever where they were still "modern" but just much better on power consumption. Come to think of it that's the last time I can remember a CPU brand that was specifically marketed as being less power hungry than the others so I guess it's not really a thing any more. I'm pretty sure my Lenovo laptop just has a desktop CPU in it these days.

Laptop CPU are definitely still a thing, they are just more subtle about the branding - they will just add a letter to the model number instead of having a full separate brand. They have gotten very good at making them tunable, too, so while a laptop CPU will always clock lower, they have the option for large spikes in power and performance (which does wonders for perceived performance) ... or of staying another 10W below the official rating.

I have no idea what things are like on the phone side, though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
S21 Ultra in hand. Just 7 more hours of work until I can play with it :argh:

Phone big.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Soul Glo posted:

S21 Ultra in hand. Just 7 more hours of work until I can play with it :argh:

Phone big.

Sup new ultra buddy.

Phone big. Phone heavy. I need a stronger magnet mount for my car.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

S21 ultra is smaller than the last three phones I've had. But not lighter.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just got my Nord N100, hoping to fulfill my desire for "a very basic phone with stock Android that runs apps and things but is otherwise simple and has great battery life."

This phone fills that order in spades. Once I turn it down from 90Hz to 60Hz, it runs beautifully, goes from 100% to 77% at the end of a day of use, and has a microSD card slot that lets me keep all my music and audiobooks locally. I cannot believe I got a phone this good for $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

S21 ultra is smaller than the last three phones I've had. But not lighter.

This is insane to me. Biggest phone I've had yet but I did use an S10+ so it's not too much of an adjustment.

It doesn't actually feel as heavy as I was fearing.

I forgot how fun it is to set up a new phone. :effort: I feel for people that have loads of apps.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 29, 2021