Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kidney Stone posted:

Got approved to start education as a carer for the elderly.

Congratulations, and as a somewhat older goon thank you.

Please take care of your own emotional health in your new career. My girlfriend works with a lot of elderly patients at a rehab hospital (physical/occupational, not addiction) and their caregivers often bear a considerable burden. You’re important and valuable too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kidney Stone posted:

Got approved to start education as a carer for the elderly.

After been sick with depression for almost two years, and off work for almost a year now, this is a big step to do something I've always wanted - to help people. Before that I worked ten years for the Danish government in an office, and that job burned me out.

I'll start the education in January 2021 with a pay almost the same as I had before the depression hit.

Congratulations! A tough job, but a vital one. Thank you for what you're doing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Probably seems like a dumb thing to be so happy about, but I had my 2nd formal performance review at this job and all of my self-assessed ratings were amended by the management to the highest possible choice (honestly even after this I still don't think I'd select that myself because it seems presumptuous/arrogant, I know I'm doing a good job but I'll always still be learning). My brainworms are saying they only said that because of covid and don't want anyone to leave, and maybe they're right, but i'll take it. It's nonetheless nice to hear that you are valued for once and they would match offers from other companies to keep you.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bit of an odd one, but today I discovered that my poor doggy has an injury of one of his paw pads, that he has been licking and making worse. He's an extraordinarily anxious lil guy (rescued from some kind of bad situation), to the extent that virtually any unexpected noise or action makes him cringe and hide.

I washed and disenfected his foot, rubbed antiseptic ointment on the injury, put lint on it and taped it up, put a sock on it and taped that up so he now has to walkaround on a crackly-selloptape-y foot, and... he's completely unbothered. He has displayed absolutely no discomfort or fear about the strange state of his foot.

I think this is because he's had other little injuries that I have treated and the treatment must have made him feel better, because he seems to assume that if I treat an injury, even if it hurts a bit at first*, it feels better soon, and that makes me feel just amazing :kimchi:

* he broke a dewclaw doen near the root once and it was hanging on by a thread, so I googled how to handle it, and the advice was to pull it off really fast then apply pressure to stop any bleeding and then apply ointment+bandages. When I did it, he cried a little when I was holding it tight to stop the bleeding, but I apologised and gave him many kisses, and I think he understood it was for the best because it must have hurt like crazy every time he moved his foot with that broken claw :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just beat a level in a hard game that I've never got this far in, level 3 in Mark of Kri. And I have all the stuff in all the levels so far, although we'll see how the challenges work out, level 4's seem a bit finicky.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Despite crippled hands and technophobia*, I not only remembered to look up how to remove a battery from my elderly MacBook that I only use twice a year to manage music and ebooks, but I followed the instructions and removed it successfully! And the picture lied; there were significantly more screws to remove.

Now, my hands hurt like crazy, but the swollen battery is ready to take to the landfill.

Can I have a parade, now?

*I'm still convinced there's a secret Self-Destruct Mechanism in all machinery, and pushing the wrong button will set it off.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I quit my job to focus on school and I didn’t have to work Boxing Day for the first time in a long time.

I’ll be glad when I’m done school and have a job where I never have to work a Boxing Day again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A tiny thing, but: Having caramel popcorn for the first time in like 20 years :buddy: Its exactly as I remembered it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I met famous Hollywood/Australian actress Radha Mitchell today.

She came round to my parents house as a friend of a family friend who has been back in Aus recently.

Very nice, very sweet woman. Kept trying to convince me to go back to Uni. to get my Dip. Ed. so I would be qualified to teach in Australia, as opposed to just the ESL stuff I do.

Oh, and my mum and dad didn't know who she was, and I didn't tell them, because if they knew she was a famous actress, they would have asked and asked her about it embarrassingly. Instead we talked about my dad's 70s beard, and she pottered about the garden with mum.

It was all very wholesome and lovely.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BrigadierSensible posted:

I met famous Hollywood/Australian actress Radha Mitchell today.

She came round to my parents house as a friend of a family friend who has been back in Aus recently.

Very nice, very sweet woman. Kept trying to convince me to go back to Uni. to get my Dip. Ed. so I would be qualified to teach in Australia, as opposed to just the ESL stuff I do.

Oh, and my mum and dad didn't know who she was, and I didn't tell them, because if they knew she was a famous actress, they would have asked and asked her about it embarrassingly. Instead we talked about my dad's 70s beard, and she pottered about the garden with mum.

It was all very wholesome and lovely.

That's lovely and she sounds lovely :3: it's been a feature of growing a bit older for me to realise that famous people are still just people and most just want to hang out and have a good time without a lot of fuss. The ones who want the fuss are a pain in the hole.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My niece turned one!

dragon crawler the uncleans's breath weapon is still being developed, but it is mighty :black101:! She can move only a square per turn at full speed, and loves flying (swings, being held high like a drat Simba)

stealth edit: name context

Rainbow Knight posted:

i ran her name through a diablo 2 monster name generator. welcome into the world

:black101: DRAGON CRAWLER THE UNCLEAN :black101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm disappointed there isn't like an inch of frosting on that cake. We used to ice the hell out of baby cakes.

edit:
She's adorable though! Happy birthday!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm disappointed there isn't like an inch of frosting on that cake. We used to ice the hell out of baby cakes.

edit:
She's adorable though! Happy birthday!

aw thanks amigo :kiddo:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I figured out how to put on my headphones one-handed while holding a baby!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the mexican food place i went to gave me free horchata and it was very good

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
First day at a new hard as hell job, it's dead simple and just physically hard instead of mentally crushing. My coworkers loving rock, and management is cool with hooligan poo poo as long as the customers don't see.

It also pays pretty well and I'm eligible for a transfer anywhere in the country after 6 months. I'm just over the moon, because it feels like taking a break after all the crap I went through in my last job for way less pay.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
After lots of training, I've built my fitness back up. I'm currently at the point where I can run a half marathon and it's no big deal, and it feels awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got to hang out with a bunch of my old friends that I haven't seen in probably 15 years. At first it was weird being around people that only knew me by my old nicknames and hearing terrible stories about myself being told with reverence, but as the night went on and I realized we all have moved on from who we used to be and caught up with who we are now it just felt amazing. There's still bridges that need to be fixed on both sides, but I'm super glad I got to be with everyone again. It was a defining part of my life and realizing that we all got through it in different ways made it feel like I was carrying less bullshit than I normally am. It's hard to explain and I'm drunk and high right now, but I'm so glad we're still around and we all still want to be in each other's lives. It almost feels like I'm my whole self again.

I missed them all more than I ever could have known.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Snow day!!

The boss shut the factory at 10 so all I did today was clear my outbound shipping queue and shovel/salt
the driveway and throw snow at my comrades, it was v. fun.

Going to get back in bed with the kitties when I eventually get home. I'm taking a driving break at a gas station now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've been doing a low carb diet recently, and cut out basically all sweet/added sugar products while I get used to it, before I start in on replacement products. The awesome bit is it has apparently just...completely rewritten my tastebuds. I tried a salad that included tomatoes and olives today. Two things I normally don't like at all (besides tomato sauce). Never have. In any dish, any way. Have repeatedly tried to enjoy them and it just hasn't taken. But tonight? They were good. Like...really ridiculously good. It was so weird, but also nice.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've been doing a low carb diet recently, and cut out basically all sweet/added sugar products while I get used to it, before I start in on replacement products. The awesome bit is it has apparently just...completely rewritten my tastebuds. I tried a salad that included tomatoes and olives today. Two things I normally don't like at all (besides tomato sauce). Never have. In any dish, any way. Have repeatedly tried to enjoy them and it just hasn't taken. But tonight? They were good. Like...really ridiculously good. It was so weird, but also nice.

Congratulations, now you know what it's like to have PMS-type cravings and then find exactly what you crave! The week I craved apples, combined with a sale on some good ones, was incredible.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This is the best day I've had since I was diagnosed with ADHD. Like, looking forward to things and poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After a week of having no data on my phone with no help from my carrier or phone manufacturer or dozens of help/community sites and unsuccessfully trying a dozen methods and buying a new SIM... I finally trouble-shot my way through 3 layers of bugs and restricted manufacturer settings and multiple giant corporations not communicating with each other and changing software that breaks other services. gently caress the fact that it's 2020 and I still have to manually do all of this myself with no guidance.

HOWEVER I can't deny how much of a weight this has lifted off my shoulders and how much better I feel right now than the past week. Such a drat relief.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

queserasera posted:

This is the best day I've had since I was diagnosed with ADHD. Like, looking forward to things and poo poo.

Was the ADHD thing a "I don't feel like I'm just a loving failure" kind of thing? Because I felt that way after being diagnosed with bipolar

In any event, :toot:

feedmyleg posted:

After a week of having no data on my phone with no help from my carrier or phone manufacturer or dozens of help/community sites and unsuccessfully trying a dozen methods and buying a new SIM... I finally trouble-shot my way through 3 layers of bugs and restricted manufacturer settings and multiple giant corporations not communicating with each other and changing software that breaks other services. gently caress the fact that it's 2020 and I still have to manually do all of this myself with no guidance.

HOWEVER I can't deny how much of a weight this has lifted off my shoulders and how much better I feel right now than the past week. Such a drat relief.

iPhone? That sounds like an iPhone thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
OnePlus...

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

I know this is a happy thread but I can't help but laugh that this user was probed just after posting this

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

queserasera posted:

Sup diagnosed with ADHD as an adult buddy

Rainbow Knight posted:

Was the ADHD thing a "I don't feel like I'm just a loving failure" kind of thing? Because I felt that way after being diagnosed with bipolar

It totally was for me. After I got diagnosed I finally managed to get a promotion I had been working toward for years. Being on meds and building executive functioning skills in therapy are the majority of the reasons why I was able to get my poo poo together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
amongst a bunch of problems at work, from not paying me for certain things and filing grievances for management working(only union workers are allowed to do physical labor, not management), all the grievances I've filed over many months have been settled and I got a big fat check tallying it all up with about a month's wages in it, all extra on top of what I normally make, plus the missing wages on top of that. feels preeeeetty nice to get an extra month's pay out of nowhere, and get caught up on pay they hadn't dished out properly.

the job still sucks and I hate it, but hey, there's some good money to be had dinging management for doing things they're not supposed to be doing. think I'll waste it on something stupid. or replace the tub in the bathroom. probably something stupid though.

apparently another guy who was really dishing out the grievances used his earnings to buy a new car. guy makes twice what I do already and grievances are a 3x wage multiplier per hour grieved, so each hour of grievance was netting him well over a hundred bucks and he could easily ding at least one dude for 4 hours a day during christmas season. real lucrative if you want to deal with the paperwork(or emailwork now, really) of filing every single time.

ideally grievances are supposed to be a big fat slap across the face of corporate's payroll to say "hey, hire more people and stop overworking everyone you fucks" but instead they just kinda eat the cost and continue making things suck, so I've heard mention of possibly trying to increase the grievance multiplier to 4x instead of 3x, which would be hilarious. I'd be meticulously grieving for even 10 minutes if they did that.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nth Doctor posted:

It totally was for me. After I got diagnosed I finally managed to get a promotion I had been working toward for years. Being on meds and building executive functioning skills in therapy are the majority of the reasons why I was able to get my poo poo together.

That's very cool amigo. I think everyone should have a therapist tbh. That feeling that all that emotional training payed off is like winning a triathlon (I imagine :v:)

I'm glad for you :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nabbed all these for about $50.

One of my all time favorite series, and I finally have a matching cover art set of them instead of piecemeal versions from different printings.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Matching booksets are so nice. If I'm ever not renting I'd like to have a small library of classics in fancy bindings

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

my hair is so soft today

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

pho, weed, cobra kai , two days off in a row. the life.

e: god drat it i love cobra kai

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Feb 10, 2021

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone had nice things to say about the novel I wrote :shobon:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

FreshFeesh posted:

Someone had nice things to say about the novel I wrote :shobon:

Congrats!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

On my evening walk I saw a Powerful Owl. It was sitting in the lowest branch of a tree happily whooping away while I stood there to admire it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Very jealous, we don't have those here. My partner and I just saw a mating pair of screech owls, though, and we're still jazzed about it this morning. Here's to awesome owl encounters!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Inceltown posted:

On my evening walk I saw a Powerful Owl. It was sitting in the lowest branch of a tree happily whooping away while I stood there to admire it.

I was about to admire how cute this phrasing was, but turns out "Powerful Owl" is just a name of a type of owl. That's... really badass.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Unsinkabear posted:

Very jealous, we don't have those here. My partner and I just saw a mating pair of screech owls, though, and we're still jazzed about it this morning. Here's to awesome owl encounters!

You've just reminded me of a past awesome day, when I visited an exotic bird park in which there weren't really any enclosures, the birds had spaces, but they were mostly free to come out of them and follow people around if they felt like it.

Anyway, in one area, there was a pair of macaws mating, and there was just this crowd of other types of parrot hanging around near them and shouting what sounded like words of encouragement, and when the pair finished mating, the bird audience did a huge group cheer.

It was extremely wholesome and funny :)

Edit: actual awesome from today - I haven't played a lot of games lately, but I did get super into Bloodstained in the last month, so I was pretty sad when I finished it, and nothing else was catching me in the same way. A few days ago I retried Prey and it's so loving fun and cool even if the controls are a bit banjaxed, and I just found out that with about 30 hours of gameplay done I'm only about halfway through.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
After having some sort of heart problem scare last month, I had a two week heart monitor installed initially. today I went and had an echocardiogram done, and the cardiologist said that while I have occasional random beats, it's nothing to worry about and the heart itself is physically in impeccable shape, it's likely some stress causing the errant beats. So that's great, it was probably the medication I was on and stopped taking since that was causing some sort of interaction.

Putting fears of some kind of major heart issue to rest feels great.