Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Menschsein posted:

I ordered a fancy-pants Air after eight years of a workhorse MBP and it's been a lovely (dongle) life so far. I've been using it for two weeks now and just noticed the thing wobbles. The front left paw isn't touching the desk. Same thing on different surfaces. I've not used this before while charging at the same time, can it be that the innards are expanding while it's plugged in? The clanking is driving me insane. Is this what the oldies called bendgate? Now what?

I had this with my M1 Air. Scheduled an appointment to get it worked out and then my entire region got plunged into indeterminately-long lockdown again. I, uh, ended up just applying a bit of pressure manually (read: bent it with my hands). Didn’t feel like anything changed when I did it but now it sits completely flat.

That’s probably a bad idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Menschsein posted:

I ordered a fancy-pants Air after eight years of a workhorse MBP and it's been a lovely (dongle) life so far.

Get a USB-C/thunderbolt 3 dock and get that poo poo off your desk

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dock for Desk, Dongle for travel

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Did Apple switch to UPS? Everything from them has always been FedEx. Their tracking seems to be the same either way. Sits in Hong King for a couple days before magically appearing in Alaska. Now it will sit in Alaska for a few day before magically being out for delivery.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

jabro posted:

Did Apple switch to UPS? Everything from them has always been FedEx. Their tracking seems to be the same either way. Sits in Hong King for a couple days before magically appearing in Alaska. Now it will sit in Alaska for a few day before magically being out for delivery.

My order is being delivered by FedEx, so they're probably just using both.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

In Canada but anything I’ve bought has always been shipped UPS

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It could be either for me from Apple, I prefer FedEx since they deliver at 10AM consistently and UPS can be as late as 9PM

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I just hope they deliver the laptop to the secure package pickup locker that my apartment complex uses instead of just dumping it on my doormat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the corona quid posted:

Dock for Desk, Dongle for travel

:wink:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A dongle in the streets, a dock in the sheets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You know why dongles suck?

Because they are small and somehow I’ve fuckin lost two of the drat things.

I know they are in a bag buried someplace but it’s so annoying!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Try having a larger than average dongle. You always need to find a desk. I find it uncomfortable to dangle my dongle it's so large.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just did some repairs and turned my dongle inside out. I can get a strap on gender changer if I need to plug into something else, but for 99% of the time this is better for me.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Arivia posted:

I just did some repairs and turned my dongle inside out. I can get a strap on gender changer if I need to plug into something else, but for 99% of the time this is better for me.

At first I read this and my brain was twisting itself inside out trying to figure out what you were talking about, then I saw who was posting and laughed my head off. :discourse:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arivia posted:

Illegal dongle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

wouldn’t this post be better in the A/T Sex Thread?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Okay so apparently AFP crashes finder trying to make PDFs on a network drive lmao. I’m an idiot

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Working directly on files like that on a network drive has always been a bit fussy. Some of the designers where I work still do this with Illustrator files and PDFs.. even over a VPN since we're still working from home and I'm amazed it works at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

wouldn’t this post be better in the A/T Sex Thread?

my dongles go everywhere with my macbook and its four ports, thank you

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Actuarial Fables posted:

I just hope they deliver the laptop to the secure package pickup locker that my apartment complex uses instead of just dumping it on my doormat.

$20 pair of slippers? Placed in a secure, locked location that only I can access until 3 days have gone by, at which point an apartment manager will move it to a locked room inside the management office until I'm able to claim it.

$2000 laptop? Door mat.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
As a lifelong apartment-dweller, one of the best ongoing investments I ever made has been renting a post office box.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The FedEx guy left my $3500 iMac with my neighbor who I've never said a word to before. Luckily he was an upstanding citizen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FMguru posted:

As a lifelong apartment-dweller, one of the best ongoing investments I ever made has been renting a post office box.

UPS/Fedex won't deliver to those, will they?

FedEx left my MBP in my front loving yard.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You can rent a mailbox from not the post office and they will accept UPS/FedEx.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
FedEx will let you re-direct the package to a pickup location. UPS will too but now they have a fee

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Setset posted:

FedEx will let you re-direct the package to a pickup location. UPS will too but now they have a fee

I pick my FedEx stuff up at Walgreen's now. Very convenient.

Plus while i'm there I can get BOGO Kind bars or a pint of ben and jerry's

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have a UPS my choice account which is supposed to let you redirect all packages to an access point except quite a few companies don’t allow it lol.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Setset posted:

UPS MyChoice won't charge you if you hold it at an actual depot (UPS Customer Center) versus a UPS Store. Gotcha is that there's a lot less of those.

MarcusSA posted:

I have a UPS my choice account which is supposed to let you redirect all packages to an access point except quite a few companies don’t allow it lol.

Costco is terrible for this.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Is there an appreciable difference between thunderbolt 3 cables? The open-box dock I picked up (CalDigit TS3 Plus) is missing the included cable so I have to pick one up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of deliveries. My 16GB M1 Air boy has arrived a whole day early. Unfortunately, FedEx left it at my door instead of my apartment complex's locker. Fortunately however, I was still getting ready to work. I was even about to hop into the shower before I heard a knock on the door.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
How bad does my keyboard have to be to get it totally replaced? I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) keyboard, which is listed, but I'm not experiencing any breakage, just horrible button wobble on a number of keys that feel as if they're close to falling out and a terrible level of tactility that sometimes causes keys to not actuate. I'd prefer to make it until the next gen of the M1 laptops, heck I'd even pay a little to have a new keyboard put in but from my understanding these are pretty tough to replace.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bob Morales posted:

UPS/Fedex won't deliver to those, will they?

FedEx left my MBP in my front loving yard.
My local Post Office taught me a hack: if you put the PO's street address and not just the PO Box number, they'll receive it.

So instead of: "FMguru / PO Box 123 / San Whatever CA 42069", send it to "FMguru / 987 Walnut Street #123 / San Whatever CA 42069"

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

Is there an appreciable difference between thunderbolt 3 cables? The open-box dock I picked up (CalDigit TS3 Plus) is missing the included cable so I have to pick one up.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/15/usb-c-cable-shopping-for-an-ipad-or-thunderbolt-3-mac-is-still-a-nightmare-for-consumers

Depending on the power requirements of the devices you’ll plugging into the dock, it looks like length and maximum wattage of the cable matters.

I hate it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How bad does my keyboard have to be to get it totally replaced? (...) heck I'd even pay a little to have a new keyboard put in but from my understanding these are pretty tough to replace.
This won’t answer your question, but re: my MacBook 12”, on Sunday a genius revealed to me that the keys were individually replaceable (that was not my understanding initially) and replacing the entire keyboard is $478. They also would not acknowledge any keyboard replacement programs.
Mine are fine, but I do find I have to “tap differently” on Z, shift, enter, and escape to get them to execute reliably. I normally type on the wireless pro keyboard so I may just need training.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kuskus posted:

This won’t answer your question, but re: my MacBook 12”, on Sunday a genius revealed to me that the keys were individually replaceable (that was not my understanding initially) and replacing the entire keyboard is $478. They also would not acknowledge any keyboard replacement programs.
Mine are fine, but I do find I have to “tap differently” on Z, shift, enter, and escape to get them to execute reliably. I normally type on the wireless pro keyboard so I may just need training.

trade that motherfucker in and get an M1 Air

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

UPS MyChoice won't charge you if you hold it at an actual depot (UPS Customer Center) versus a UPS Store. Gotcha is that there's a lot less of those.

Is this new? I just used it to deliver to the closest UPS store for the 12pro at the end of October and I wasn't charged anything.

Now for Fed Ex I could only do it at the regional depot for my new gaming computer I bought in December.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Ok Comboomer posted:

trade that motherfucker in and get an M1 Air

This is what I've been thinking, and honestly, might still do. Even if that means trading that Air in and getting whatever new M1 comes out with a new display soon thereafter.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gonna use Safari for a little bit on this machine and see what's up. AdGuard the adblocker to go to from the App Store?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Has anyone had issues with the Ethernet on a Bellini thunderbolt dock? I’m pretty sure my dock is just pooched but not 100% sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You mean Belkin, don'tcha? Never heard of Bellini..

Actuarial Fables posted:

Don't get the no-names.. Apple's cables are ok but you can do better on price.. I've only been using CalDigit, Cable Matters, MacAlly and IOGear and haven't been burned yet.