Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

new category on PWChub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Goodbye GME!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There goes the panic selling lol.

Yep everything's going down... Live by the WSB, Die by the WSB. I'll still hold on to my AMC/NOK bags for now.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

seriously. I feel some serious FOMO for not holding these things overnight, but it's going to hurt a lot of people, maybe shortly :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Don't cry because it's over, lol because it happened

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
wow, WSB goes private and the stock loving craters

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mnoba posted:

my twin 14 year olds came home from school today asking if i bought gamestop, and what the hell it was all about. it's way past reddit now.

do your 14 year olds shine shoes

just checking

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bardeh posted:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

GME crash is going to be once the SEC forces reddit to shut it down

lmfao

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Bought 10 shares of AMC at $15 this morning, but I should've remembered the cardinal rule: if I (a terminally uncool adult) am hearing about something that the hip kids are doing, then they have probably stopped or are about to stop doing that thing.

Oh well. Even if it falls back to $5, I'm only out a hundred bucks. Could be worse!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Best buy should have a bar inside every store though

I also think Best Buy should turn into Fry's (but with alcohol instead of coffee).

Yudo
May 15, 2003

so...buy the dip?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

surf rock posted:

Bought 10 shares of AMC at $15 this morning, but I should've remembered the cardinal rule: if I (a terminally uncool adult) am hearing about something that the hip kids are doing, then they have probably stopped or are about to stop doing that thing.

Oh well. Even if it falls back to $5, I'm only out a hundred bucks. Could be worse!

At least if you go back to 2019, you can see AMC was once worth that much.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I don't know that I would read that much into it, it's after hours trading. The stock is being propelled by huge numbers of people who can't trade right now and they all believe that Friday will be a huge payday so I would wager it goes crazy again in the morning when the market opens.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

why is my landlord calling me

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just remember that r/wsb exists to enrich its cadre of users at the expense of the common man. It was a very clever swindle to wrap it up in a tasty "stick it to those hedgefund fat cats by buying these bags off me" coating!

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

movax posted:

value stock

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
lmao tomorrows going to be nasty

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

movax posted:

Yea I figure AMC is worth holding on to as it should bump back up once moviegoing actually resumes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just remember that r/wsb exists to enrich its cadre of users at the expense of the common man. It was a very clever swindle to wrap it up in a tasty "stick it to those hedgefund fat cats by buying these bags off me" coating!

Jokes on them I already spent my money on chicken stock. No the other kind.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yes everyone knows that GameStop should not be at $300 a share. There’s not a secret cabal of rich people pricing options so that the little guy can’t make money on puts but whatever. You have to pay a premium to get a contract limited term because otherwise no one would ever sell an option. They are priced for the person selling them to make money. There’s no galaxy brain move to profit from a stock declining without buying a put or shorting the stock. It’s obvious GameStop is going to be trading under $40 in a couple weeks, probably under $20. You can make money from this by shorting the stock. The problem is you can’t know when the current squeeze is going to end and you’re afraid of getting margin called. That’s because you want to short 1000 shares and buy a house. Sorry, if you can’t afford or can’t stomach the potential of getting margin called when you’re $700,000 underwater the position is too big. Short 2 shares and hold through the squeeze and then buy yourself a PS5 instead.

This is weirdly testy? I'm not worried about a secret cabal I'm just wondering if there's a low risk way to make money off the weirdness that's happening right now. Of course counterparties are going to charge. I don't think they're evil, just not dumb and I'm just wondering if there's a way to find dumb money.

The last time I made an investment that wasn't 'stick it in a big index fund' was taking chud money off Predictit, where the mechanics were pretty simple, and it was easy to tell who the sucker was.

My concern with a put would be that it doesn't seem like the dumb money here is loving with puts. As I can tell, the irrational investors are reddit investors buying and holding and hopping to hop off at the top and an over confident shorting hedgefund getting squeezed. I can hop on the rocketship and hope to flip it before the crash, but it seems like the safe time to do that was days ago at the latest. Or I can join shorters, who are getting turbo hosed at the mement

So, as far as I the neophyte can read the situation, the sane option is avoiding the short term volatility and making money off knowing that the price will eventually drop. However other people, who I'm going to consider more sane, also think this. And it's these people drawing up the puts, right? So it's neophyte me trying to squeeze value out of the good tight players at the table, since I'm really betting with them on exactly how dumb we think the dummies are. I trust the sophisticated folks to make the more plus EV move here. That seems to be not what I want to do. I want to bet directly against the fish. The only instrument I see that lets me do that directly is a short which has the potential to go extremely bad if I underestimate the fundamental irrationality going on here.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

How convenient (for the hedge funds) that this came at a time of the GME-hype train.

You'd think the guy who made a couple million off GME could've afforded to set up a voice server instead of relying on as lovely a company as Discord.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't really care about all this WSB nonsense, but it did make me want to look into stocks.

So, I'm a stock moron. What would you all suggest for some basic investing?

I grew up in a family that was poor as gently caress. Up until a few months ago, my wife and I have been pretty loving tight with money. Luckily, we're both reaching a point in our careers where we'll have more disposable income.

Needless to say, the stock market has never been something I've even looked at in passing or know much of anything about.

If I were to start with $100 a month, what should I do?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

the JJ posted:

This is weirdly testy? I'm not worried about a secret cabal I'm just wondering if there's a low risk way to make money off the weirdness that's happening right now. Of course counterparties are going to charge. I don't think they're evil, just not dumb and I'm just wondering if there's a way to find dumb money.

The last time I made an investment that wasn't 'stick it in a big index fund' was taking chud money off Predictit, where the mechanics were pretty simple, and it was easy to tell who the sucker was.

My concern with a put would be that it doesn't seem like the dumb money here is loving with puts. As I can tell, the irrational investors are reddit investors buying and holding and hopping to hop off at the top and an over confident shorting hedgefund getting squeezed. I can hop on the rocketship and hope to flip it before the crash, but it seems like the safe time to do that was days ago at the latest. Or I can join shorters, who are getting turbo hosed at the mement

So, as far as I the neophyte can read the situation, the sane option is avoiding the short term volatility and making money off knowing that the price will eventually drop. However other people, who I'm going to consider more sane, also think this. And it's these people drawing up the puts, right? So it's neophyte me trying to squeeze value out of the good tight players at the table, since I'm really betting with them on exactly how dumb we think the dummies are. I trust the sophisticated folks to make the more plus EV move here. That seems to be not what I want to do. I want to bet directly against the fish. The only instrument I see that lets me do that directly is a short which has the potential to go extremely bad if I underestimate the fundamental irrationality going on here.

Lol, poo poo moved past me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hmmxkrazee posted:

Yea I figure AMC is worth holding on to as it should bump back up once moviegoing actually resumes.

You don't think that streaming of new movies is going to hurt it long term?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bedlam posted:

BB dropping. Boo

Sorry about that, I bought in soon before this post.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Glad I took some profits, don't care what happens now with GME. Still holding 8 shares @ 43 but even if it goes to 0 I come out ahead. That said it'll probably be back up tomorrow.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
SO loving DISCORD BANNING IS WHAT KILLS THIS poo poo?????

FUCKLCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bardeh posted:

were algos hooked up to it and now reading 0 for activity and pulling out?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/WallStreetChief/status/1354577291741900802?s=20

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Lum_ posted:

I also think Best Buy should turn into Fry's (but with alcohol instead of coffee).

There's a Fry's here in Indianapolis that must be going out of business any day now. I went in for the first time in two years this afternoon to pick up a DisplayPort cable (since I needed it today), and here was the situation:

- A third of the store was literally empty shelves
- There were two employees
- There were four other cars in the parking lot
- One of the empty sections of the store was for furniture (?), and there was just a pile of mattresses (some shrinkwrapped, some dirty) in a pile against the wall and a guy was standing in front of it practicing knife tricks
- The entire store had only one DisplayPort cable

I felt like I was walking around one of the stores in that Dead Mall series on YouTube.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s up it’s just not working great, I was just reading threads.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

It’s after hours

See what happens tomorrow

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

house always wins

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I guess I'll just change my $420 limit order to market and let it happen tomorrow morning for GME.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
WSB goes private frequently, I don't really think this is anything new

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I just watched AMC drop to $11 and now its rising back to $13 all in the span of a minute.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Good lord 900+ new posts since 9am this morning.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mordiceius posted:

I don't really care about all this WSB nonsense, but it did make me want to look into stocks.

So, I'm a stock moron. What would you all suggest for some basic investing?

Not this thread. There's a long term investing thread around here somewhere, but the gist is invest in low fee index funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Can wsb really be the only driver in this? There was a billion trades on AMC, Nokia and only 92 million on GME. That seems like a lot more/richer people involved in cheeky shenanigans than even one huge subreddit?