Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goast posted:

stop projecting your bad posting

You're really bad at this, just stop

Everyone who hasn't go listen to the Trueanon with Norman finkelstein, the cool grandad we all wish we had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

some plague rats posted:

You're really bad at this, just stop

Everyone who hasn't go listen to the Trueanon with Norman finkelstein, the cool grandad we all wish we had

bad at what and how

what the gently caress are you talking about other than finkelstein is good

go listen to the trueanon two parter

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
help help im very mad at the poster on something awful called taintrunner, don't you know he's a rich flight sim guy who spends 2k on rudder pedals what a fake evil liberal they must be

:smug:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so much running of the taint lately, my word, when will the libs learn

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

word on the street is taintrunner runs his own taint

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i'm actually a big taint of fanrunner

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Goast posted:

help help im very mad at the poster on something awful called taintrunner, don't you know he's a rich flight sim guy who spends 2k on rudder pedals what a fake evil liberal they must be

Yes give the married-into-wealth Jimmy Dore stan account the benefit of a doubt

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Much like Jimmy Dore, taintrunner is a complete dumbass who is right sometimes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Goast posted:

if you love him so much why dont you marry him

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Goast posted:

You’re embarrassing yourself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goast posted:

Are you trying to be like one of Biff Tannen's unnamed bully friends, but for Taintrunner? Your role is to stand there looking amused while Taintrunner calls someone a warmongering white supremacist rapist

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Just realized that I was replying to posts from like 5 pages back, whoops!

babypolis posted:

doesnt the whole force FTV strategy hinge on people voting to primary dems that didnt vote for m4a? because if so, lmao what a profound misunderstanding of american electoral politics

The thing about this is that FTV is correct, but some of its supporters think it's correct for the wrong reason. The anti-FTV argument that "exposing people not supporting M4A isn't really useful" isn't exactly wrong, but the main point of a strategy like FTV is "left (or supposedly left) members of Congress using leverage to demand things and highlight the opposition of the rest of the Democratic Party to left goals." People wouldn't be reacting this way if they had been demanding other meaningful things from the rest of the party.

So the main takeaway here isn't "FTV is a great idea" but is instead "left members of Congress are unwilling to do anything meaningful and their actions during the Speaker vote are damning as to their willingness to fight for left policy goals" + "the anti-FTV people are essentially just liberals with different branding."

babypolis posted:

like if the intended conclusion from all this is that the squad are all traitors, where do you even go from there?

It's not "traitors" so much as "people who were never reliable advocates for left-wing goals." It's likely the case that the only sort of person who can actually end up as a Democrat in Congress is also the sort of person who will never be willing to fight against the rest of the party.

I understand and sympathize with people who want to hold onto to the idea that the left has some sort of foothold in mainstream politics, but that just isn't the case. This isn't exactly strange - it's just a realization that there hasn't been any fundamental change the same mainstream political status quo that we had just a few years ago.

edit: Grifters like Sam Seder aside, I imagine a significant portion of the negative reaction is from people who are just upset because they enjoyed the feeling of optimism they got from the Bernie campaign and that optimism is largely dependent upon the idea that we have allies in elected politicians like The Squad. There's also a sense of sunk cost, where people want to feel like the Bernie primary campaign was "leading to something."

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jan 27, 2021

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
don't know about taintrunner, but drat saboton loving blow.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Much like Jimmy Dore, taintrunner is a complete dumbass who is right sometimes.

:hmmyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

some plague rats posted:

Does he talk about stuff other than his upbringing in the second part?

Like the upbringing stuff would probably be cool and interesting to most people, but it's basically stuff I've heard an embarrassing number of times from my Jew family, only substitute Brookline for Brooklyn and Brookline High for James Madison High School (at first I thought he was literally talking about Brookline High until he mentioned Bernie Sanders and Charles Schumer being graduates). I don't know much about Brooklyn, but I get the impression it might be similar to Brookline in terms of the whole "used to be lower middle class with lots of Jewish people and is now a very expensive yuppie place."

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Like the upbringing stuff would probably be cool and interesting to most people, but it's basically stuff I've heard an embarrassing number of times from my Jew family, only substitute Brookline for Brooklyn and Brookline High for James Madison High School (at first I thought he was literally talking about Brookline High until he mentioned Bernie Sanders and Charles Schumer being graduates). I don't know much about Brooklyn, but I get the impression it might be similar to Brookline in terms of the whole "used to be lower middle class with lots of Jewish people and is now a very expensive yuppie place."

the tone is similar to the first in that it leans towards autobiographical stream of consciousness over serious political analysis, but the topics he covers are more relevant to his career and work than pt 1. there’s lots of stuff about dersh and a few tangential rants about political culture.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

oh yeah he goes off on a few interesting tangents

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Don't loving quote me you bitchmade liberal

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

LittleBlackCloud posted:

don't know about taintrunner, but drat saboton loving blow.

It’s the worst music I’ve ever heard in my life, I think

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Goast posted:

You're drat right. When did the Something Awful forums become all about making fun of internet losers, particularly posters on the Something Awful forums?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

the tone is similar to the first in that it leans towards autobiographical stream of consciousness over serious political analysis, but the topics he covers are more relevant to his career and work than pt 1. there’s lots of stuff about dersh and a few tangential rants about political culture.

Ah thanks, I'll give it a listen later then.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

fyi ALAB eps 15 and 16 (the bully) are all about dershowitz and his smear campaign against norman finkelstein. I'd say those two eps would be pretty vital to listen to prior to the interview. they do a great job explaining everything that went down and as a bonus they're really funny guys.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

some plague rats posted:

both parts are very good. they're probably my favorite episodes of trueanon so far

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

He gets more into the dersh stuff and it's great but honestly if you didn't vibe with the first part you can skip it, it's pretty much more of the same

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Goast posted:

anyone who gets to stay at home during the pandemic should just learn to shut the gently caress up more, is the actual point

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
this thread has no chill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

this thread has no chill

posting from behind my plastic shield at work rn

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
trash future on liberal dead enders and the radical centre

https://trashfuturepodcast.podbean.com/e/the-labradoodle-fedayeen-feat-patrick-wyman/

Our friend Patrick Wyman is back! And this week, after a brief jaunt down start up lane, we discuss the rapid radicalisation of the Anglo-American upper-middle class liberal, as they all seem to have gotten too much news recently. We've talked for ages in the past about your aggro conservative uncle, now it's time for the history, sociology, and economy of your aggro centrist uncle!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

mila kunis posted:

https://trashfuturepodcast.podbean.com/e/the-labradoodle-fedayeen-feat-patrick-wyman/

Our friend Patrick Wyman is back! And this week, after a brief jaunt down start up lane, we discuss the rapid radicalisation of the Anglo-American upper-middle class liberal, as they all seem to have gotten too much news recently. We've talked for ages in the past about your aggro conservative uncle, now it's time for the history, sociology, and economy of your aggro centrist uncle!

are you on trashfuture, and 2, who do you play on trash furture

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

jimmy dore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

more like jimmy bore

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the doer war

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i, donald j. trump, am calling for a shutdown of posts about taintrunner and jimmy dore until we can figure out what the hell is going on

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mila kunis posted:

Patrick Wyman is cool so I will listen to this.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

AShamefulDisplay posted:

why does everyone keep talking about jimmy dore no one loving gives a poo poo shut up

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Don't loving quote me you bitchmade liberal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Just like the golden age of comics: brings the industry to its high point of social prestige and widespread consumption, so modern generations remember with nostalgia, but all agree that the content was dreadful by reasonable standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdog
May 7, 2013
imagine being a white american and calling other people class traitors b/c they take the piss out of your vr set up lmao