Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
That sounds very similar to my labor experience! Not fun! It took me a long time to feel okay with what happened, if you’re struggling with anxiety, grief, depression, or any negative feelings regarding your birth experience, please reach out and talk about it! My midwife had a completely separate appointment for me just to talk about the labor experience, and I found that really helpful since I was struggling emotionally.

Congrats on the little chonk!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Congratulations!!!!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

That sounds very similar to my labor experience! Not fun! It took me a long time to feel okay with what happened, if you’re struggling with anxiety, grief, depression, or any negative feelings regarding your birth experience, please reach out and talk about it! My midwife had a completely separate appointment for me just to talk about the labor experience, and I found that really helpful since I was struggling emotionally.

Congrats on the little chonk!!

I’m sorry your experience was hard as well, some of these stories you and others have shared are truly nightmare scenarios, and it’s amazing that we survived mentally and physically.
A midwife did come in and talk through some of those feelings with me, like feeling like I missed out on the “authentic experience” of a vaginal birth. I know my husband was really looking forward to seeing the baby crown and cut the cord and stuff, and we both ended weepy messes on the other side of the curtain when the surgery happened. But now we have this baby that hopefully we can take home today, and everything to look forward to in the next stages.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just unboxed our registry gifts, started poking at the "white noise" machine/nightlite.

It's ok... It has like 15 tracks that range from white, pink, and brown noise, 6 different rain tracks, two washing machines, and 3 different music box versions of nursery songs. There is a timer function that can be set in 15 minute intervals up to 6 hours.

There are two dad wolves battling within my soul. The first dad wolf identifying that this could be accomplished very easily with some YouTube audio rips, a raspberry pi, and my old bluetooth speakers. The other wolf is lazy and appreciates the gift.

I think I'm just snobby about my nursery music. Been blasting ffxiv and other game ost at my wife's belly. Like just play this on your phone, it's a baby they don't need their own machine that feeds them trash renditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSe-Fk-PS8

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Play too much ffxiv music for your kid and their first words will be “how very glib. And do you believe in eorzea?”

I wonder if there’s an existing product that would do that (let you include your own music choices, not turn your baby into Gaius).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A wild cactar has appeared!

KirbyKhan posted:

The first dad wolf identifying that this could be accomplished very easily with some YouTube audio rips, a raspberry pi, and my old bluetooth speakers. The other wolf is lazy and appreciates the gift.

We have no less than three white noise devices in our house

We ended up with a couple of those google home mini pucks, and a paid spotify account. "ok google play nursery music" is a lifesaver, as is "ok google, play baby white noise in nursery on spotify". edit: "ok google, play final fantasy IX theme on nursery" also works. We use it 100x more than any of the devices, except the Hatch Baby Rest, which lives on the changing table and is only useful because it plays white noise when you touch it

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Thought I was being a good husband and got my wife a massage seat thing for her birthday. I didn't even consider that it could be bad?? She heard that it could cause premature labor. Sounds fake but is that the truth?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Big Dick Cheney posted:

got my wife a massage seat thing for her birthday. it could be bad?? She heard that it could cause premature labor. Sounds fake but

It never occurred to me that the phrase "old wives tale" was literal until days before the birth of our own kid when all of a sudden a bunch of "wisdom" was handed down to me from others

Things my wife's family told her

Pineapple could cause miscarriages
Jumping is bad for the baby
Running is bad for the baby
Not shaving the baby's head immediately after birth will cause it to have thin hair

There are others but I've forgotten them as they're not worth the brain cells to file away

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Thought I was being a good husband and got my wife a massage seat thing for her birthday. I didn't even consider that it could be bad?? She heard that it could cause premature labor. Sounds fake but is that the truth?

I got several professional massages during my pregnancy, even one late in the third trimester, and they specifically said that massages don't bring on labor. I think you'll be fine!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone been told it's safe to take benadryl while pregnant by their doctor? I see conflicting stuff online about it and wasn't sure.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone been told it's safe to take benadryl while pregnant by their doctor? I see conflicting stuff online about it and wasn't sure.

Yes, it’s actually on the list I was given of safe medications to take during pregnancy. I took Benadryl during my first pregnancy and nothing happened.

The only thing with antihistamines to be wary about is with breastfeeding, it can potentially diminish your supply.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

Yes, it’s actually on the list I was given of safe medications to take during pregnancy. I took Benadryl during my first pregnancy and nothing happened.

The only thing with antihistamines to be wary about is with breastfeeding, it can potentially diminish your supply.

Thanks, I am at 23 weeks, and have suddenly been having a lot of trouble sleeping and taking one helps a lot.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks, I am at 23 weeks, and have suddenly been having a lot of trouble sleeping and taking one helps a lot.

Unisom really helps me with sleep, the doxylamine kind, not the diphenhydramine kind, since diphenhydramine is just Benadryl. They are both safe, but Unisom might be something to try if the Benadryl starts to not be as effective. Sleep only starts to get harder the more your belly expands and things start loosening up, unfortunately.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'll check it out - I do remember unisom being on the list of drugs that were ok to take (also for my HG) but hadn't tried it out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I used unisom during my last pregnancy in combination with B6 to help with nausea. If you do use it, start with 1/4th a pill. It made me extremely groggy the next day even on 1/2 a pill. It ended up being a tough call on if the nausea or the grogginess was worse.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I am not sure how that would effect me, thanks for the heads up... unfortunately I am supposed to be on adderall but since I am pregnant I am not and so every moment of my life currently feels like I am floating through a thick, disorienting fog. I can't fall asleep at night and can't wake up in the morning and feel generally sick all the time constantly so its been kind of horrible.

On the plus side my obgyn says I am very healthy so I am not worried so much about anything, just constantly sick as a dog.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

I am not sure how that would effect me, thanks for the heads up... unfortunately I am supposed to be on adderall but since I am pregnant I am not and so every moment of my life currently feels like I am floating through a thick, disorienting fog. I can't fall asleep at night and can't wake up in the morning and feel generally sick all the time constantly so its been kind of horrible.

On the plus side my obgyn says I am very healthy so I am not worried so much about anything, just constantly sick as a dog.

What medications have you tried? There are definitely pregnancy-safe stuff that your OB should have recommended to you. No guarantees, but things like diclegis or bonjesta might help with the feeling sick and ALSO the sleeping stuff.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

cailleask posted:

What medications have you tried? There are definitely pregnancy-safe stuff that your OB should have recommended to you. No guarantees, but things like diclegis or bonjesta might help with the feeling sick and ALSO the sleeping stuff.

I was on reglan and b6 for the first trimester, which helped with the vomiting. I have more of a non specific constant "sick" feeling now and complete lack of energy all the time but everyone has kind of just told me that's how it is so I am only on a prenatal vitamin and baby aspirin now. The sleep issues have cropped up in the last week so I haven't had a chance to see my Dr since then.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hello, I am very new to the pregnancy game but my wife is around week 15-16 of our first child. The evening sickness (she only got sick at nights, not mornings) is dying down, but in the past week she's gotten a nosebleed in the middle of the night for several days in a row. Reading online that appears to be common enough that I'm not that worried about it, but we don't really know how to combat this. She's going back to the doctor in a couple days for something unrelated and we'll ask then. But does anyone here have any ideas?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

GoutPatrol posted:

Hello, I am very new to the pregnancy game but my wife is around week 15-16 of our first child. The evening sickness (she only got sick at nights, not mornings) is dying down, but in the past week she's gotten a nosebleed in the middle of the night for several days in a row. Reading online that appears to be common enough that I'm not that worried about it, but we don't really know how to combat this. She's going back to the doctor in a couple days for something unrelated and we'll ask then. But does anyone here have any ideas?

Maybe get a good humidifier for your bedroom? All kinds of sleep and sinus changes happen through pregnancy and her nose just might be getting the brunt of it. Honeywell makes a good sanitizing mist one that is easy to clean. Bonus, it’ll be helpful in a nursery too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Humidifier is a great suggestion. If the humidity in your house drops below 30% nosebleeds can become common. If you live somewhere in the upper northwest like wisconsin your humidity might be in the teens

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I get nosebleeds while sleeping, sometimes I will wake up feeling like I’m choking on blood. It’s great, pregnancy is beautiful... I have a humidifier right by my head that is on full blast while I sleep and it definitely helps reduce the frequency and severity of the bleed. When I’m not pregnant, I never get nosebleeds.

You can also try a saline nasal spray if it won’t w her nauseous.

It’s just one of those things that goes along with pregnancy. Blood volume is increased, and the tiny vessels in the nose are fragile and sometimes can’t handle the extra volume as well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll try and look into getting a humidifier.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

What are those of y'all who are pregnant thinking about the covid vaccine? I was planning to get it as soon as I could, thinking it would take me a few cycles of iui to get pregnant if that worked at all, so of course instead I got knocked up the old fashioned way the last cycle before starting treatment.

Going to discuss it with the midwife at my first appointment in a couple of weeks, but I know there isn't really any data out there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

What are those of y'all who are pregnant thinking about the covid vaccine? I was planning to get it as soon as I could, thinking it would take me a few cycles of iui to get pregnant if that worked at all, so of course instead I got knocked up the old fashioned way the last cycle before starting treatment.

Going to discuss it with the midwife at my first appointment in a couple of weeks, but I know there isn't really any data out there.

I had/have the opportunity to get it through my work. As far as I know there is no formal data on it, although they haven’t recommended against pregnant women in the US getting it. I’m currently 32 weeks and am planning on getting it postpartum/breastfeeding when there is a little more immunological and biological distance between me and the baby. If I still had a long way to go in the pregnancy or if my job required more contact with patients or the general public I’d probably go for it while pregnant though.

Unfortunately there really isn’t a formal recommendation, but it’s surprisingly progressive for the OB field to actually let women weigh their risks and options regarding the vaccine.

eta: I do get nervous that I’m passing up what feels like my ‘one chance’ to easily get this vaccine though, but that’s more of a supply complaint than a safety one

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/536168-who-advises-against-pregnant-women-taking-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

This is just for Moderna though, I dont think there is any recommendation either way for Pfizer. My wife got the first dose of Pfizer already so I hope that wasn't a bad idea.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Big Dick Cheney posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/536168-who-advises-against-pregnant-women-taking-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

This is just for Moderna though, I dont think there is any recommendation either way for Pfizer. My wife got the first dose of Pfizer already so I hope that wasn't a bad idea.

The article says that they said the same thing for pfizer on the 8th. It also says there isn't any specifically adverse data regarding either vaccine in pregnant women, just that there isn't any data at all so they can't recommend it until we know unless you're in healthcare or high risk otherwise. It's a risk, I guess, but as long as your wife was able to make as informed a decision as possible that's all we can hope for right now.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Not pregnant but hoping to be and following the vaccine fairly regularly. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) wants pregnant folks to be able to decide for themselves, which is a big deal. The way I'm reading the Hill article is that essentially we don't have data on the vaccines in pregnancy, so they can't say it's safe. That's the case with a lot of vaccines and medications in pregnancy. Pregnant people aren't included in clinical trials most of the time, so we don't know if it's safe. If the medical community can't say it's safe, they won't recommend it.

The vaccines are mRNA based. mRNA (messenger RNA) is the message that DNA makes that is translated into proteins, which build everything. In vaccines that use the actual virus, the virus is weakened or dead, but allows the immune system to recognize the virus and fight off future infections. With the mRNA vaccine, you get enough information for the immune system to recognize the spikes while not actually getting the real virus. With viral infections and pregnancy in general, the risk is that the virus can cross the placenta if there is an active infection. Plus mRNA is relatively fragile and degrades quickly, so it likely won't stick around long enough to cross the placenta. On the other hand, if you have antibodies from the vaccine, those might cross the placenta and give the baby some protection.

Unfortunately with COVID, we just don't know. Even given all this, I wouldn't fault someone for not getting it while pregnant if they didn't feel comfortable doing so.

These links can be helpful:
https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/mrna-covid-19-vaccine-pregnancy-breastfeeding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ic%20structure.

If you're more the video type:
https://youtu.be/G8R4B7E7lLQ

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

After talking to my obgyn, who asked me at our last appointment, I decided to wait until after giving birth personally but will definitely do it as soon as I can after that.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I am an ICU nurse, and while I don’t get assigned covid patients, there are covid positive patients in the unit I work, and so many of my coworkers have had/currently have covid.

I am currently 20 weeks and could have had the vaccine about a month ago, but chose not to. It’s extremely unfortunate that pregnant women are never studied when new medications come out. Yes, there is potential risk for the fetus, but there’s also a potential that if the mother doesn’t get the med or vaccine, she could die. Maternal death is definitely not great for a fetus...

But anyway I chose not to get it because there’s literally zero research, only theory, about how it might affect a pregnant mother and/or the baby. Right now our immune systems are intertwined in ways that still aren’t fully understood. Also a vast majority of people I know who have gotten it have had pretty significant side effects. I already feel like garbage because of pregnancy, and I definitely don’t want to risk a fever if I can prevent it.

I will get the vaccine once the kid is out of my body.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Did anybody else have morning sickness that goes away when you're actively eating? It's like, if I'm shoving food into my gaping maw, and for a little bit after, I'm fine, but otherwise it's nausea city. Luckily it's generally just a mild nausea, not even as bad as what I get with migraines, but still annoying. I'm at about 6.5 weeks.

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005
That's exactly what mine was like! I only felt normal while eating then for about 5 minutes after. It encouraged me to eat very frequently.

It went away, but got replaced with this mucusy feeling at the back of my throat that caused me to gag pretty often. That hung around for a long time.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I too was constantly low-grade nauseous throughout my first trimester (starting around 5 weeks, so close to where you're at!). Dry salty foods and carbs were my jam, like plain potato chips and sandwiches. I was also obsessed with this Simple Truth brand vegan alfredo, so I had that with pasta for a LOT of dinners.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’m currently 35 weeks along with my second and I feel so awful and tired. I feel like I can’t be a good mom to my toddler right now, and can barely get the rest I feel like I need. It’s a sad and frustrating experience in a way that my first pregnancy wasn’t and I don’t know if this is just third tri hormones on top of worse sleep :(

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m currently 35 weeks along with my second and I feel so awful and tired. I feel like I can’t be a good mom to my toddler right now, and can barely get the rest I feel like I need. It’s a sad and frustrating experience in a way that my first pregnancy wasn’t and I don’t know if this is just third tri hormones on top of worse sleep :(

I’m sorry you’re feeling that way. I don’t think it’s an unusual feeling though. I was very much in the same place at that point with my second. It’s completely different the second time around because you can’t put yourself first anymore. The late 3rd trimester is already difficult and uncomfortable, and not getting enough sleep never helps anything. I don’t have any advice for you unfortunately, just know you’re not alone.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thinking about making a patreon for my baby. Today's the due date and it looks like the lil dude is hunkering down for an extra week.

The waiting thoughts are getting wierd and gross...

But I know there are old people out there that will pay for access to pictures and video of him just kinda wiggling. I just don't know when it stops.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Third trimester sleep with my second was a hell that I never imagined. I had a lot of discomfort and pain in my hips with my first but generally could get a broken nights sleep.

With my second I would go to sleep at a decently early time, say 9 or 9.30, zonk out, then be bolt upright awake from 1 to 4, no matter what pre-bedtime routines I had. Then I would be able to get back to sleep until my alarm went off at 5.15.

Everyone said I looked great but I was exhausted all the time.

The only thing that helped keep me asleep was a quarter tablet of restavit. It’s safe for pregnancy, used to treat morning sickness too. Take some half an hour before bed? Magic. I have a low tolerance for it, hence the quarter tablet. The label says 1-2 tablets but I shudder to think how long it would take me to wake up with 2 tablets in my system.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

femcastra posted:

Third trimester sleep with my second was a hell that I never imagined. I had a lot of discomfort and pain in my hips with my first but generally could get a broken nights sleep.

With my second I would go to sleep at a decently early time, say 9 or 9.30, zonk out, then be bolt upright awake from 1 to 4, no matter what pre-bedtime routines I had. Then I would be able to get back to sleep until my alarm went off.

This is exactly what I’m experiencing too. I am wide frikkin awake from 1am until 4-6, and there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s like clock work, waking up at 1am on the dot.

Pre second pregnancy I was motivated and had the energy enough to cook every night and actively play with my kid, but from about 16 weeks on I’ve been completely exhausted. We have lots of easy meals, and we watch movies now. I no longer give a darn about screen time recommendations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Thank you for the encouragement/commiseration, thread. It’s definitely been a lot of ups and downs this trimester- thankfully none have been medical- but I’ve been feeling pretty guilty about my lack of enthusiasm. I’m starting to trust that things will change when the baby shows up and we’ll all get through the newborn phase okay.

Until then, I’ll hunker down at night in my giant pillow and carpal tunnel braces and hope for the best sleep I can get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketwitch
Sep 2, 2011

When did you tell your partner that you're pregnant? Right after a positive pee stick?

I'm three days late and tested positive. Already called my OB/GYN and they told me to come in on monday. I'm thinking about telling my SO after getting the confirmation from my Doc.
Kinda scared it won't stick this early and getting my husband needlessly excited.

(Yes, I just needed to tell someone and chose you lovely goons.)