Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
There's always the next time.

Also, make a snake East through Uzbek land so you can start dropping Siberian Frontiers in the middle of Siberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when siberian frontiers was a 0 point idea for custom nations

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

oddium posted:

remember when siberian frontiers was a 0 point idea for custom nations

Yes I do remember when I completed the various new world/custom nation achievements.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think new players in general put too much value on money. It's the least useful resource really. It's fine to go into massive debt as long as you use the debt to get into a better position.

Also, my mods work after reinstalling the launcher, but I have to restart steam every time I quit or EU will stop recognizing them again.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think the AI considers its target's coffers before declaring war, but yeah, money is something you want as much as possible of, to burn as fast as possible.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
There are even many situations where deliberately entering a debt death spiral and declaring a strategic bankruptcy is a good idea. As long as you can make yourself safe during the bankruptcy, spending money like crazy beforehand can leave you in a stronger situation. If you do it right.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao

Spain in my Aztec game decided it would be a good idea to colonize 2 provinces i hadn't gotten to in Central America (Costa Rica) despite the fact that I had just crushed them in a war in their own home country (along with just absolutely dominating Castilian Brazil). And the fact that I completely kicked them out of North America. Plus I have about 60k troops just sitting around waiting to invade from the single province I took from Portugal and the 4 North Africa provinces I took during the last Spanish war (Ceuta, Fez, Salé and the one just north of it). The only reason I haven't started a new war with them yet is because I'm busy "reorganizing" the few Inca countries that are left.

I was wondering what I was going to do in South America since I had been allied with Chimu for quite some time since I used them as sort of a shield when i first invaded the Pacific side to fight against the European invaders that were trying to take over Cusco. Chimu was too developed for me to straight up vassalize but they made a mistake when they decided to guarantee the independence of Cusco after they teamed up with Charca to reduce them to a 4 province country. I forced Chimu to release a 3 province nation which makes them a little smaller, but they've got another 3 province nation hidden in there that will take another war to release and then they should be small enough for me to vassalize.

Seriously the Aztecs are so much fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Groke posted:

Yes. I'm thinking that an optimal Muscovy -> Russia run involves beelining to admin tech 10, taking not much more land than you need to form Russia. Keeping several of your vassals and feeding them more land might be a good idea.

Well the issue is that you're mostly time gated on the tech anyway; getting Siberian Frontiers five years early is not worth paying +50% for Admin 10.

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah now Im sad I could have done the race to Siberia mission- but its too late now.

Is the time already passed? While the Push East achievement can certainly be earned by just forming Russia in a hurry, you'll save a huge amount of time by just conquering your way across the Steppe.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yeah, I mean, just don't go hog wild and conquer and core everything you can so you fall behind in admin tech.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah no one mentioned yet that your heir's legitimacy now starts lower and has to grow. also old regencies are gone and replaced by a regency led by your most powerful estate. also you can extend regencies. hopefully you can do funny stuff with this

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait what's this now?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

last week's dev diary about changes to heirs/regencies

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-19th-of-january-2021.1452938/

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
On the topic of Russia, does anyone else find that it always takes an insanely long time to form in their games? I feel like every time I play EU4, Muscovy allies with Ryazan and remains faithful to that alliance for centuries, while never bothering to take Smolensk from Poland-Lithuania.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sounds cool tbh

Reveilled posted:

On the topic of Russia, does anyone else find that it always takes an insanely long time to form in their games? I feel like every time I play EU4, Muscovy allies with Ryazan and remains faithful to that alliance for centuries, while never bothering to take Smolensk from Poland-Lithuania.

If theres a strong PL and especially if Ottomans get involved on the steppe through Crimea, AI Muscovy is kind of blocked off. Both of those are like a 50% chance event so it happens a fair bit of the time

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oddium posted:

oh yeah no one mentioned yet that your heir's legitimacy now starts lower and has to grow. also old regencies are gone and replaced by a regency led by your most powerful estate. also you can extend regencies. hopefully you can do funny stuff with this

you will only get an estate regency if you would have gotten a regency council, so virtually never in modern eu4

still a fun looking feature tho

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I was doing a Taungu game yesterday and I'm not sure if tributaries can just straight up not join coalitions against their overlord or if there's a big malus against doing so? But I essentially avoided having to deal with any Buddhist coalitions by allying two of the bigger Buddhist nations and then fully annexing Ava in one war to steal all of its tributaries.

Expansions real easy when there's only two countries in the entire region willing to join a coalition against you.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Jazerus posted:

you will only get an estate regency if you would have gotten a regency council, so virtually never in modern eu4

still a fun looking feature tho

Man I have like regencies all the time. In my current Japan game I must have spent atleast 15-20 years being ruled by a council.
Even thought it was a Japan specific thing for a while. My dudes dropping left and right after a couple years on the throne.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I have successfully done a Jihad with the added challenge of not betraying my ally the Ottomans for their provinces for some reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You'll get estate regencies if you're muslim at least, because they don't have consorts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Yes.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol thought i would give a high discipline run a go with peasant strut, except europe was very undeveloped with a monster austria so i had to form prussia out of whole cloth, so i could go on kill them for the achievement

its interesting building your own end boss

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

When you press "g" to merge unit stacks it should not not work if you have selected a merc stack and two or more regular stacks, instead it should merge all non-merc stacks and ignore the mercs... plz paradox...

Also, on the war dec screen it should show if you have empty rival slots and you can make someone in the war a rival before you declare instead of remembering half way through the war... my pp demands it!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jean Pony posted:

When you press "g" to merge unit stacks it should not not work if you have selected a merc stack and two or more regular stacks, instead it should merge all non-merc stacks and ignore the mercs... plz paradox...

Also, on the war dec screen it should show if you have empty rival slots and you can make someone in the war a rival before you declare instead of remembering half way through the war... my pp demands it!

or you could just merge all the stacks and then click the 'detach mercenaries' button on the new army to eject all the mercs from it and into a new stack

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jean Pony posted:

Yea, merc management is so annoying now. Even when you merge half the time the game thinks its a new army so the move order list gets hosed up. If you didn't know, if you want to stop that annoying thing where attached units arrive on different days you have to attach to the top unit when drag selecting. With the merc company at the top it makes splitting off carpet sieging stacks a bitch.

Also give me some reasonable size mercs, I don't ever want to hire a 60k stack of mercs. Also gently caress merc cannons. And supposedly the special merc modifiers don't even work.

That said, even with all their problems I like the new system a lot more. Hiring 40k merc infantry for your 40/40 stacks and keeping them around forever always felt stupid.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Army-level recruitment rather than 1000 guys at a time is good. But there should be less scaling of the armies involved imo. I dont know what it scales on exactly, your dev? But the pricing rapidly gets out of control. Also, being a great power should not mean you can hire 70,000 Inuit warriors, no matter how great you are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TMMadman posted:

or you could just merge all the stacks and then click the 'detach mercenaries' button on the new army to eject all the mercs from it and into a new stack

you can't merge or split merc stacks anymore, they're discrete unique armies.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you can't merge or split merc stacks anymore, they're discrete unique armies.

Oh that must be new since I'm still using an older version while playing my Aztec game. I think i'm a version behind.

That is kind of a dumb change then.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Ternate colonial run is a hell of a lot of fun. Castile got to the Cape and Mauritius so I colonized all the Indian Ocean islands to stop them. Portugal is in Galapagos but I should be able to hold off the Europeans for a few decades more. I wish I had colonized one of the Sunni islands near Pasai earlier, so I could religion swap in the early game.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

If you didn't know, if you want to stop that annoying thing where attached units arrive on different days you have to attach to the top unit when drag selecting. With the merc company at the top it makes splitting off carpet sieging stacks a bitch.

That said, even with all their problems I like the new system a lot more. Hiring 40k merc infantry for your 40/40 stacks and keeping them around forever always felt stupid.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Yeah, I like the new merc system too, just need to smooth out some wrinkles

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I can't believe the country stats in the diplo window include Revanchism and Corruption instead of something useful like dev

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I keep forgetting that revanchism is something that exists.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

How often, in single-player, do you take a loss bad enough for it to stack anywhere meaningful? It's a stat used only by the AI and in multiplayer sessions where people engage in diplomacy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trying to get a good start on an Ottoman one faith, not necessarily a WC (but I'll end up doing it probably anyway); I think the trick is stopping the colonizers right at the start, and Muscovy/Russia from the Siberian frontier.

Picking from Reddit and Paradoxplaza posts, seems like the best plan would be to no-CB Grenada and use it as base for the Iberians, and then do the same with an Irish OPM for England. When Crimea is marched under me, snake through the Golden Horde to Muscovy and swipe Moskva from them. From there, just follow the mission tree and balloon into India, China and the rest.

There's a few choices I'm not sure about:

1) Annex Portugal, Castile and England, and do my own thing with Colonial Nations, or vassalize and convert them and let them use their bonuses for colonies?
2) Espionage ideas: I think they might help, between the reduced AE and fabricating for my vassals - thoughts?
3) When to start converting European provinces? I feel like there's a lot of effort wasted when Reformation starts as they get converted right back to Protestant/Reformed then, but I'm afraid of putting it off too late game
4) Is the propagate religion policy from nodes enough to convert Africa/India/Eastern Asia, or should I be helping with missionaries? In other words, add provinces to trade companies right away or not? I know they won't convert Shia/Ibadi, so those I'll have to do manually.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think only catholic provinces can be targeted by reformation centers.

Also don't forget you need to crush the Dutch minors if you want to keep westerners from colonizing. All that high development HRE land. :v:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AE is basically a number when you fight the europeans , youre going to have to deal with coalitions early if you want to prevent huge development provinces popping up hampering conversion times

if it gets too much just intergrate a huge vassal and then peace out the coalition promising to free your vassal on the very same month you absorb them - you burn lots of AE this way and still annex the country

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

How often, in single-player, do you take a loss bad enough for it to stack anywhere meaningful? It's a stat used only by the AI and in multiplayer sessions where people engage in diplomacy.

One time I managed to lose Berlin to Bohemia in a Brandenburg game and got hella revanchism.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One time I managed to lose Berlin to Bohemia in a Brandenburg game and got hella revanchism.

Did it at least help you get revenge in a noticable way?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Easiest way to get revanchism is to join an ally's war that they would clearly lose without you and then do nothing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

Did it at least help you get revenge in a noticable way?

Yeah it was a pretty fat buff and I wrecked Bohemia after my manpower recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Detheros posted:

Easiest way to get revanchism is to join an ally's war that they would clearly lose without you and then do nothing.

Didn't even know this was a thing, and I do that all the time.