Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Revelations mode adds a fair bit if you wanna reread the chapters that involved the games of werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't know what exactly this is supposed to entail (if it's just going to be sound/visual changes or if there will be story revisions in some form), but I guess some kind of remaster (Hou+) of Higurashi has been announced?

https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1353538593210331138

Edit: Stopped being lazy and ran it through Google Translate: Thank you for waiting!
We will start producing "Higurashi When They Cry", a remastered version of it, and its name "Higurashi When They Cry + (Plus)" with the aim of mastering this summer!

Personally, I just wish Mangagamer would release some info on the Rei translation.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I haven't read Higurashi but here's what it says on the image according to my Japanese knowledge:

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou Plus is in brisk production! A remaster of "doujin version, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou" released in 2014. A bonus mini-scenario is also planned!

2. We're starting to sell various goods! We're preparing to start taking orders for boob mousepads, LINE stickers and more! To start with, on-demand sales of "painful masks" (TL note: face masks with anime characters and whatnot on them) is planned to start at the end of January!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 26, 2021

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Kanfy posted:

Orders for boob mousepads

I probably shouldn't be surprised, but :catstare:

regardless, thanks for the translation!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

eagerly awaiting a keiichi maebara boob mousepad

finally, some classy merchandise

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I actually didn't know boob mousepads are still a thing. Hell, mousepads in general?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lmao. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do when there are no conventions on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Boob mousepads in ryukiji art style?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

No Wave posted:

Boob mousepads in ryukiji art style?

the 'boobs' are the weird ball hands

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hahaha, I'm re-reading the Umineko Tea Parties for 1-3 before picking 4 back up and the miracle and belief stuff from Higurashi 7 and 8 is just full-on display there, isn't it?

E: Wait what the hell - I just finished all the Tea Parties and caught up to my save in 4 and what the gently caress, a version of Okonogi is there? I hadn't caught that reference before. Also, do the Umineko releases have titles like Higurashi did? Maybe I'm dumb but I just see episode numbers.

E2: Umineko is by a long stretch the weirdest, most meta thing I've ever read, and even by that metric Episode 4 is... insane. The whole idea of Ange as a witch working to disprove the possibility of witches is... I don't know. Since I had finished Higurashi, when I went through the tea parties to reacquaint myself with Umineko I have been looking at it trying to sort it into a sort of Rules X, Y and Z framework, and there's clearly some meat there, but Ange's whole 1998 plot is really blurring the lines between the two ideas "witches can't exist in the story" and "witches can exist outside of the story on an observatory level" that the whole meta-framework between Battler and Beatrice seems predicated on.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 27, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have a copy of the Umineko red text by chapter, I didn't write any down for chapter 2 and lost my early notes on 3. It'll be extremely helpful as I'm sure I've already solved everything to be solved by the time chapter 3 is concluded and can just ctrl through the rest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hepcat posted:

I’m maybe half way through Chapter 4 of Chaos;Child. First of all, it’s amazing how much better this is than Chaos; Head, which is the by far the worst VN I’ve played. The protagonist is no where near as annoying as Takumi was; most of the other characters have a personality, and I actually feel myself caring about happens to them.

A couple other things: Once again I feel like I missed something that should have been fairly obvious while playing one of these games. My guess is that Kurusu also possesses some kind of ability to see the future and she sees a bad end coming for Takuru. That would explain why she’s so frantic to get him to drop the case. I’m not sure why Kurusu would not simply tell him about this ability, but maybe a confession would lead to too many questions from Takuru about what really happened to his biological parents? The game has been vague about that so far.

There’s also a sense of dread building; I can’t shake the feeling that a *******Mayuri******** level mega twist is just around the corner.

Kunosato is my least favorite character so far. Makise Kurisu argued with people who teased her or acted like jerks; she was always nice to people who were nice to her. Kunosato is just flat out nasty to everyone for no apparent reason. I hope her character is better developed as the story progresses.

I enjoyed Chaos;Child a lot, probably my second favorite "Science Adventure" game behind Steins;Gate. It's a shame that (IMO) it's not the sort of game that works well as a replay. Steins;Gate can be replayed pretty well because it doesn't rely as much on its mystery, but a big part of Chaos;Child is trying to figure out what's going on.

I'll be curious to see how you react to future events given your comments in this post.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the Umineko red text by chapter, I didn't write any down for chapter 2 and lost my early notes on 3. It'll be extremely helpful as I'm sure I've already solved everything to be solved by the time chapter 3 is concluded and can just ctrl through the rest.

Along the lines of this post, can anyone post the riddle here (preferably in both English and Japanese?). I feel like it’s a red herring of some sort, maybe but regardless I’m terrified about googling even innocuous things from this series from getting burned in the past, let alone something like that.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Gaius Marius posted:

I got you. Not sure exactly where you are on 3, but this should handle the early bit.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Along the lines of this post, can anyone post the riddle here (preferably in both English and Japanese?). I feel like it’s a red herring of some sort, maybe but regardless I’m terrified about googling even innocuous things from this series from getting burned in the past, let alone something like that.

I understand the epitaph should be in the files, but here's a transcript.

懐かしき、故郷を貫く鮎の川。
黄金郷を目指す者よ、これを下りて鍵を探せ。

川を下れば、やがて里あり。
その里にて二人が口にし岸を探れ。
そこに黄金郷への鍵が眠る。

鍵を手にせし者は、以下に従いて黄金郷へ旅立つべし。

第一の晩に、鍵の選びし六人を生贄に捧げよ。
第二の晩に、残されし者は寄り添う二人を引き裂け。
第三の晩に、残されし者は誉れ高き我が名を讃えよ。
第四の晩に、頭をえぐりて殺せ。
第五の晩に、胸をえぐりて殺せ。
第六の晩に、腹をえぐりて殺せ。
第七の晩に、膝をえぐりて殺せ。
第八の晩に、足をえぐりて殺せ。
第九の晩に、魔女は蘇り、誰も生き残れはしない。
第十の晩に、旅は終わり、黄金の郷に至るだろう。

魔女は賢者を讃え、四つの宝を授けるだろう。
一つは、黄金郷の全ての黄金。
一つは、全ての死者の魂を蘇らせ。
一つは、失った愛すらも蘇らせる。
一つは、魔女を永遠に眠りにつかせよう。

安らかに眠れ、我が最愛の魔女ベアトリーチェ。

There's the Japanese version.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko Season 3 speculation

We're back in it. So I got my noggin joggin at work the other day and tried to get some facts straight in my head. Instead I came to a startling revelation. Aquariums are just fish zoo's! Now I can't remember if george or shannon was the one who wanted to check out the aquarium in episode 2, but because it reinforces my beliefs I choose to think it was shannon. This basically confirms for me that Shannon and The Captive Beatrice are one and the same, and less solidly tells me that shes got a bit of a split personality thing going on and likes to talk to herself, the fight with the white witch might also be her wrestling with her own personality but IDK about that. Also not sure how the dapper Mr.Ronove fits in.

I take back what I said Ronove is no gentleman, Beatrice's laugh could never be undignified.
Yes battler yes make this a mecha novel
Hell yeah I love Anime schlock beatrice, you know me too well.

Interested to see where this scenario goes, the previous two had the servants as obvious culprits/scapegoats and most the adults dead, we'll see how they start devouring themselves when them and their children are both still alive.

It has to be Maria drawing the Magic circles right? Nobody else should have the knowledge of the occult, except maybe Shannon/Beatrice I guess. Beatrice and Maria are very similar characters come to think of it, but I don't see how she could masquerade as an adult.

Maria's letter?! I forgot. But also I don't remember what it said so we'll ignore it

Okay new theory. The pov character, meta Beatrice is maria. Her and Battler are the only two to survive the events on the island. Her being a child and a fan of the occult to deal with her abuse is constructing these elaborate fantasies to convince an amnesiac battler of what happened. Battler realizes all his relatives killed themselves over Gamestop stock but can't bring himself to admit it. So he's stuck in this loop where maria is telling him some bullshit that's great cause his relatives are innocent but in the back of his head he knows it's BS.

All the kids are sleeping, they're already dead. Futon slept on. By whom?
These dumbfucks really can't bust down a door
The keys are missing, break down the loving doors
Okay rudolf, breaking doors down is impossible, that's why when fireman encounter a locked door they pray for their souls and give them up to the flame. It's good to see where battler's incompetence comes from.

Now we break the window, after we've wasted twenty minutes.
Oh They put all the bodies in separate locked rooms, foolish, as if I haven't already determined a orangutan crawled down the chimney and killed them.
oh yes white witches explanations are gonna finally get this idiot battler ro realize he can strike back

White witch laying out that this is all sophistry, I gotta say I love this dudes writing he clearly not only thought of the plot but of what the readers would be thinking. Right when I'm ready to put battler in his new trash can home, he jumps in and saves me with this.

There were some people who really didn't get the conceit and the author had to beat them over the head didn't he?

Interlude for rereading all the previous redtext
Okay thanks for posting that I didn't realize how much there actually was in the previous chapter. However I'm ignoring all the closed room poo poo, solving that mystery might be fun, but it's like focusing on why the robber wore a clown mask instead of a hockey mas when he robbed the bank instead of asking who the man was.

looking for stuff pertinant to the real plot these stood out to me

"If you accept me, all of the riddles will be resolved. With my power, any kind of closed room can be created or destroyed!!"

"Battler, don't you want to abandon yourself to the joy of surrendering to one with poweeeer?? I'll make you my favorite furniture. I'll love you so much and make you my toy until you turn to ashes..."
"I keep my promises.

These three stand out, perhaps because i'm divorcing them from context, but it's clear to me that Beatrice is not playing the same game battler is. They have a history, I'm pretty sure she loves him, and she want's him to realize something about the epithet. I'm pretty sure she also wants a hug.

"And while I'm at it. You are incompetent!"
Even if I come to a point where I have to discard every red truth, I know for certain this one is the undeniable truth.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really wishing I had read the divine comedy more recently

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Battler realizes all his relatives killed themselves over Gamestop stock

lmao i’m genuinely dying laughing

Thank you for your continued reports, as someone jumping back into ep4 after like a year your theories are helping me remember and reconsider things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The latest episode of Higurashi NEW is really good and has more ties to Umineko...maybe just superficially, but still....

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Rockman Reserve posted:

The latest episode of Higurashi NEW is really good and has more ties to Umineko...maybe just superficially, but still....

Is Higurashi NEW in any way comprehendable to someone who's read Umineko and in no way touched Higurashi before?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

1000% no, unfortunately.

e: I should say it's unfortunate because it was originally kind of pitched as a new version of the anime, but it's not that at all. But I consider that a plus, I don't think I'd be able to mainline more of the original story after just finally finishing it. It just means it's not something I can recommend to newcomers regardless of the horrible gorefest in episode 16.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 28, 2021

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Gou was pitched as being accessible to newcomers, but if they're still trying to do that...they've majorly dropped the ball. It's pretty divisive as to whether or not it's a show that's working for people, but even among the people for whom it is working (which includes me for the most part), a lot of the impact comes from comparing it to the original. I would say check it out only if you're familiar with the original story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You should read the VN, it's very good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What's going to be really annoying is if it turns out having read Umineko is also necessary to understand what's going on. I think the speculation in ADTRW is talking about it enough that I should probably stop reading that thread now at least, and maybe that I should stop watching the show until it's over and I can ask if it's safe to watch or not. I do intend to read Umineko at some point, but I was hoping to get the translation for Saikoroshi first.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Sinteres posted:

What's going to be really annoying is if it turns out having read Umineko is also necessary to understand what's going on. I think the speculation in ADTRW is talking about it enough that I should probably stop reading that thread now at least, and maybe that I should stop watching the show until it's over and I can ask if it's safe to watch or not. I do intend to read Umineko at some point, but I was hoping to get the translation for Saikoroshi first.

At Mangagamer pace, that will take forever lol. It took them like 3 years to release chapter 8 after it passed translation and editing. Yes, really.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

I do intend to read Umineko at some point, but I was hoping to get the translation for Saikoroshi first.
For the record, I still think this is a massively ill advised course of action.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

At Mangagamer pace, that will take forever lol. It took them like 3 years to release chapter 8 after it passed translation and editing. Yes, really.

It really doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they haven't even announced anything yet about what the next step is here.

Nate RFB posted:

For the record, I still think this is a massively ill advised course of action.

I'll probably give in before too long, but even if I started today, I don't think I'd finish before Higurashi Gou was over.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the anime's version of Saikoroshi is fine if you really want to see it before moving on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What's Saikoroshi? As ever, I don't feel comfortable googling basically anything about this series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rockman Reserve posted:

What's Saikoroshi? As ever, I don't feel comfortable googling basically anything about this series.
It's the middle chapter of Higurashi Rei, which was a fandisc released after the main 8 chapter series. It basically serves as an epilogue, and if you really squint at it it has some elements that could be construed as minor hints for Umineko (I can't emphasis enough how overstated this is in general, though). It's also *extremely* short (probably less than 2 hours) and really doesn't do or say anything truly revelatory about the original story other than some light character development.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Obviously I will not say how to get it on this forum, but a perfectly serviceable fan translation of Saikoroshi exists. I highly doubt Mangagamer is releasing it any time soon, so I'd say if you're determined to read it in VN form, you'd have to find that. That said, while I like Saikoroshi, it's far from necessary, and you shouldn't hold yourself to reading it/watching the anime version/etc and put off Umineko for it.

Plus I think Gou is trying to cover some of its territory in a more extensive way, but that's not for this thread.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I am largely new to VNs. Is the RE:Zero game coming out tomorrow worth checking out?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I posted some inane ramblings about Higurashi, some of Umineko, and how they might relate to Higurashi Gou over in the Gou thread, posting a link here for future mockery (and for me to have in one place to organize my thoughts if I end up putting Umineko down for another eight months): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942397&pagenumber=12#post512101646

Also, thanks for the links to the epitaphs. Maybe a related question...? But does anyone have the (Umineko ep4) PIN included with Nanjo's son's letter handy? I really have to start taking actual notes on this stuff.... :eng99:

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Rockman Reserve posted:

Also, thanks for the links to the epitaphs. Maybe a related question...? But does anyone have the (Umineko ep4) PIN included with Nanjo's son's letter handy? I really have to start taking actual notes on this stuff.... :eng99:

The PIN is 07151129.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished Paradise Killer in that I got credits at least, I don't know if there is something more I could unlock if I went about the trial a different way. The feeling I got from the trial was it doesn't really matter who you wind up accusing so long as you get a guilty verdict on each crime, and there are multiple ones that you could do alternates for (specifically Lydia for the second seal and Sam for the third seal). I guess some are less open if you don't have enough evidence but it also seemed pretty generous for a lot of them.

Which kind of feels...unsatisfying? It feels like in the end it was less of an Ace Attorney mystery for me to solve and get some great confrontations/breakdowns in the trial than it was an excuse to just have a big world to explore and sort of get acquainted with its moving parts. Pretty much every mystery I felt I had an idea about going into trial wound up being exactly that on the tin with no variation, making the trial ultimately a formality.

Overall I'm pretty ambivalent about it, especially when combined with the open world being such an unnecessary hassle to traverse. Does have a good look and music at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Who was responsible for killing the council?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nate RFB posted:

I finished Paradise Killer in that I got credits at least, I don't know if there is something more I could unlock if I went about the trial a different way. The feeling I got from the trial was it doesn't really matter who you wind up accusing so long as you get a guilty verdict on each crime, and there are multiple ones that you could do alternates for (specifically Lydia for the second seal and Sam for the third seal). I guess some are less open if you don't have enough evidence but it also seemed pretty generous for a lot of them.

Which kind of feels...unsatisfying? It feels like in the end it was less of an Ace Attorney mystery for me to solve and get some great confrontations/breakdowns in the trial than it was an excuse to just have a big world to explore and sort of get acquainted with its moving parts. Pretty much every mystery I felt I had an idea about going into trial wound up being exactly that on the tin with no variation, making the trial ultimately a formality.

Overall I'm pretty ambivalent about it, especially when combined with the open world being such an unnecessary hassle to traverse. Does have a good look and music at least.

I enjoyed it, but primarily as a fun world to explore. There are some nice things though.

One thing I liked was that before the trial you could present any of the suspects with damning evidence and they would just act like a normal guilty person would do, which is to lie there rear end off. "Could it have been a fake that someone planted?" Or just straight up "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Who was responsible for killing the council?
The Killer Demon and Dainonigate are the only real options that seemed feasible. I wound up going with the demon (which basically means Witness) because I couldn't remember whether Dainonigate's knife had blood on it and the cadence of the flow of the conversation seemed to be that he felt that he had "failed" when you happened upon him in the hidden corridor room (which felt like an implication he didn't kill anyone) but had been shot by a dying Monserrat. It does seem like you have competing conspiracies between him/Carmelina and Witness without a way to reconcile them but the narrative doesn't really care because as long as you get guilty convictions everyone just proceeds as if you were right.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Steely Glint posted:

The PIN is 07151129.

merci beaucoup, although I think that...might...? prove my theory wrong? I'm going to need to mess with it on a bit of paper but at the very least the number of digits certainly doesn't match up. Either way, thank you!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Nate RFB posted:

The Killer Demon and Dainonigate are the only real options that seemed feasible. I wound up going with the demon (which basically means Witness) because I couldn't remember whether Dainonigate's knife had blood on it and the cadence of the flow of the conversation seemed to be that he felt that he had "failed" when you happened upon him in the hidden corridor room (which felt like an implication he didn't kill anyone) but had been shot by a dying Monserrat. It does seem like you have competing conspiracies between him/Carmelina and Witness without a way to reconcile them but the narrative doesn't really care because as long as you get guilty convictions everyone just proceeds as if you were right.

This isn't supported by the text of the game at all but given that those things happened to go down at the same time despite one of the plans having literally decades of preparation involved and some of the mechanisms in the process I decided that I find it more satisfying to imagine both Carmelina and Witness were deceived by Crying Grudge since the game goes out of its way to say how deception is subtle and often nearly undetectable and in particular both of them are said to have changed in the recent past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Carmelina's plan was decades in the making (even involving setting up Henry in the first place) and she specifically wanted to kill the council. To me she has more responsibility as a mastermind even if you can't deny the possibility that the Killer Demon that Witness released as a scare tactic got the actual kill.