Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

lol why does Nana look so surprised.

Unexpected Visitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

And I'd rather have the actual film assets scanned such that they aren't going to degrade further or get destroyed in an accident.

Adjusted for inflation, DS9 and Voyager cost $1.2 billion to make. It is negligent to not safeguard that investment.

Oh yeah I mean I agree, but I assumed the counter argument was "it's too expensive to re-render everything" then I still think just AI-upres is preferable to the nothing we're getting. Fully agree that I'd rather have the master 35 scans re-edited and if I was Jeff Bezos I would cut a check today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's a point in between. You can scan the footage and leave the VFX alone for now if you are worried about spending the money. That's exactly what the B5 remaster did.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought DS9 editing was done on tape, not just the VFX, so you'd essentially need to re-edit the whole show if you wanted to use 35 stock for non-VFX footage. If I'm mistaken then obviously it's easier than I thought.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
For TNG-R, did they scan all the film assets and then identify correct takes, or did they identify them beforehand and only digitally archived those?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

showbiz_liz posted:

This isn't quite as 90s but it's pretty goddamn 90s

The way they're posed here makes them look like actors in a quirky, Friends-like '90s sitcom. "Oh, that Quark!" (laugh track).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Martytoof posted:

I thought DS9 editing was done on tape, not just the VFX, so you'd essentially need to re-edit the whole show if you wanted to use 35 stock for non-VFX footage. If I'm mistaken then obviously it's easier than I thought.

The same is true for Babylon 5. And X-Files. And a ton of other shows that have already made the jump to HD. This is never going to be a zero effort thing, but the longer they postpone it, the harder it's going to be until it's impossible. The argument that it's "not worth it" just doesn't hold water anymore if Warner thought Babylon 5 was worth it.

HD DAD posted:

For TNG-R, did they scan all the film assets and then identify correct takes, or did they identify them beforehand and only digitally archived those?

I believe they only scanned the correct takes. It's been 9 years though. Scanning is better and faster. Editing has become more automated. At this point they can probably speed the process up significantly by scanning more than what they need and letting computers taking the first pass at identifying correct takes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The way they're posed here makes them look like actors in a quirky, Friends-like '90s sitcom. "Oh, that Quark!" (laugh track).

I wish I could find a better quality picture of this TNG cast photo

Because it looks like they're posing for the promo of a 90s dramadey, like somewhere between Friends and Party of Five.

e: there's also a photo of them all in like a lounge somewhere and they're all in dark turtlenecks or something and it looks really classy but I can't find it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 27, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Martytoof posted:

The brief 4k upscales of DS9 looked just fine. I don’t even care if they just used that AI-upscale tactic for the entire show.

I’m watching on a HDTV anyway so it’ll either look lovely blurry because it’s 480 upscaled, or it’ll look weird because of 4k AI artifacting. I’d rather have the upres’d weird artifacting IMO.

Matrix 4 looking GOOD!

4K from a decent distance is fine enough tbh, It helps that it's from that era of shows that is lit kinda dark.
Anyway DS9 S6 here we go :stare:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Because it looks like they're posing for the promo of a 90s dramadey, like somewhere between Friends and Party of Five.

e: there's also a photo of them all in like a lounge somewhere and they're all in dark turtlenecks or something and it looks really classy but I can't find it.

That's a show I wouldn't mind watching.

TNG lends itself fairly well to a sitcom format (not my video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrjYpX5M3o

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm 10000% sure that Riker and Geordi are a couple in this show. That pose has an energy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

I'm 10000% sure that Riker and Geordi are a couple in this show. That pose has an energy.

it's the same show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I thought both those hands were Riker's at first and he was giving Geordi a big hug

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had no idea they remade this movie last year, I wonder if it's any good. I liked the original.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

Looking at Data's hand I'm feeling some kind of affair between him and Crusher. Possibly an open relationship with Picard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I believe they only scanned the correct takes. It's been 9 years though. Scanning is better and faster. Editing has become more automated. At this point they can probably speed the process up significantly by scanning more than what they need and letting computers taking the first pass at identifying correct takes.

They definitely scanned more than just the takes used, the blurays had outtake reals that were never seen before and in super clear HD. Dunno' of they scanned entire reals, but definitely more than they needed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

It's all couples and Picard, Crusher and Data are a triad, looks to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They will turn out to be all spock's adopted siblings.
Full list:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's all couples and Picard, Crusher and Data are a triad, looks to me.

It looks like Crusher is Picard's daughter and Data is her weird artist husband.

E: Worf looks rich as gently caress and Troi looks like she's his evil money-grubbing ladder-climber wife who's probably the real villain of the show.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Powered Descent posted:

That entire photoshoot is amazing and it is indeed the most 90s-est thing. High-res scans of the original magazine: http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=298

Is that Roxanne Dawson on the right? Was that lovely haircut she had in Voyager a wig the whole time?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That would be a bunch of work to set up, but seems like it could be beneficial for lots of shows. Set up a system to scan in all the raw footage, have computers try to match shots from the episode to film footage.

Where they find conflicts/missing footage, flag it so that humans can either tell the system to upscale the broadcast footage or insert new clips.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Senor Tron posted:

That would be a bunch of work to set up, but seems like it could be beneficial for lots of shows. Set up a system to scan in all the raw footage, have computers try to match shots from the episode to film footage.

Where they find conflicts/missing footage, flag it so that humans can either tell the system to upscale the broadcast footage or insert new clips.

Pretty much yeah. The tech exists now and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is working on that exact workflow.

It's something that could help pretty much any production from about 2000 till the mid 2010s. Movies in that era were shot on film but were finished digitally. If you want to go back and do a 4k native version of the movie, you have to go back to the original film and re-edit just like you have to do for TV shows. Movies in those cases will likely be combined with upscaled VFX sequences as well, so it's a very analogous situation here.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bull3964 posted:

The same is true for Babylon 5. And X-Files. And a ton of other shows that have already made the jump to HD. This is never going to be a zero effort thing, but the longer they postpone it, the harder it's going to be until it's impossible. The argument that it's "not worth it" just doesn't hold water anymore if Warner thought Babylon 5 was worth it.

I don't know, I'd say Babylon 5's worth is practically infinite.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Goblin Craft posted:

I don't know, I'd say Babylon 5's worth is practically infinite.

It's always been the dark horse of 90s sci fi shows that has like 1% of the brand awareness of Star Trek/X-Files and is a hard sell to modern audiences as anything more then a cheap looking 90s serial. It's like expecting massive support for an HD version of Forever Knight.

The movies being pretty cheesy if fun and The Lost Tales looking like they were student films didn't help.

We don't talk about Crusade.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The dark horse of the 90s is Time Trax

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
When do we get a rerelease of that Roddenberry show about an alien invasion or whatever that was?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Earth: Final Conflict?

I never really watched it, but it seemed like it changed premises at least three times.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Inexplicable Earth 2 4K remaster, somehow also a Criterion release

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I never really watched it, but it seemed like it changed premises at least three times.

I enjoyed premise 1 myself, and kinda lost track after that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I watched it on and off so I never knew what the hell was going on and was a young teenager at the time so even when I was paying attention, I really wasn't, but yes it tried to re-invent itself like at least three times. To the point even where Von Flores was the only actor to be a main cast member for all five seasons, it was rotating people in and out that regularly. Which was good, because Von Flores is awesome has an incredible voice.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Inexplicable Earth 2 4K remaster, somehow also a Criterion release

SeaQuest and Earth 2 back to back was a hell of a night's TV back in the day

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

SeaQuest and Earth 2 back to back was a hell of a night's TV back in the day

I think this Earth 2 is the Gene Roddenberry pilot where John Saxon and Lurch have to save a guy from a country of dominatrixes led by Dr Pulaski, but the other Earth 2 was much better and my introduction to Clancy Brown AND Tim Curry.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Man that TNG pinball machine is so cool...

...a cool five thousand bucks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

How the hell did that show last five seasons?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

How the hell did that show last five seasons?

Every late 90s/early 00s sci-fi show made by Tribune was generally dirt cheap, filmed in Vancouver which had great tax incentives, and were Saturday evening time fillers on Fox and/or in syndication, so the actual audience figures were irrelevant. The fifth season is literally vestigial because the show came to a definitive ending in Season 4, and then just kept going with a fraction of the cast and a premise so divergent it was practically a brand new show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one that I always wondered about was The First Wave, because every episode seemed to have a few seconds of nudity that was badly edited out with a blur effect, like the 90s Outer Limits. Both of those shows also lasted a million seasons despite what seemed like a tremendous dip in quality after the first two.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I kind of wonder about Earth:Final Conflict and Star Trek connections. They're both made by Roddenberry, and the Taelons seem sort of Vulcanish (although a lot more evil).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Welcome to Paradox is one of those 90s sci-fi shows that no one else ever seems to remember. Wikipedia backs me up that I wasn't just hallucinating it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

It's always been the dark horse of 90s sci fi shows that has like 1% of the brand awareness of Star Trek/X-Files and is a hard sell to modern audiences as anything more then a cheap looking 90s serial. It's like expecting massive support for an HD version of Forever Knight.

The movies being pretty cheesy if fun and The Lost Tales looking like they were student films didn't help.

We don't talk about Crusade.

I think it's OK to talk about Crusade, but not Legend of the Rangers.