Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
My shopping mall:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aquagremlin
Jan 16, 2005
Can anyone help me understand the difference between planetary and interstellar logistics buildings? Do I want to have both or is interstellar just an upgrade to planetary?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

aquagremlin posted:

Can anyone help me understand the difference between planetary and interstellar logistics buildings? Do I want to have both or is interstellar just an upgrade to planetary?

Planetary lets you move stuff around on your planet only. Interstellar is an upgrade to planetary, and lets you move stuff around on your planet as well as get stuff from other planets. You only need Interstellar if you can make them.

E: I should say I'm not at the point yet where I can build either of these so I could be wrong but I've come to understand this is the difference between the two.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

President Ark posted:

i mean, they'll stop being green real quick once the sun is in a cage and they stop getting light
If I've eaten one sun it should be trivial to use some of it to power a smaller sun ~36,000 km or so away from the planet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

explosivo posted:

Planetary lets you move stuff around on your planet only. Interstellar is an upgrade to planetary, and lets you move stuff around on your planet as well as get stuff from other planets. You only need Interstellar if you can make them.

E: I should say I'm not at the point yet where I can build either of these so I could be wrong but I've come to understand this is the difference between the two.

Interstellar can also get stuff from other solar systems, with the right reagent. But yes that's the difference.

You still need both kinds of drones; interplanetary freighters won't handle local logistics, and interstellar platforms can charge & store planetary drones just as well as their smaller cousins.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

please help i can't stop being completely in awe of screens like this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah technically interstellar logi towers are just flat out better than planetary ones and perform all the same tasks with the added ability to use interplanetary/stellar ships. So it really depends on how resource starved you are. There is no real reason to use planetary ones other than cheapness. Planetary ones can only handle 3 resources, interstellar can handle 5.

aquagremlin
Jan 16, 2005
I didn't notice the smaller drone slot, thanks! I put down my first one and it doubled my energy requirements from 58 MW to 112MW! Time to finally tap the rest of the oil on my home planet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah technically interstellar logi towers are just flat out better than planetary ones and perform all the same tasks with the added ability to use interplanetary/stellar ships. So it really depends on how resource starved you are. There is no real reason to use planetary ones other than cheapness. Planetary ones can only handle 3 resources, interstellar can handle 5.

Interstellar are FAR more power hungry.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Okay I have no idea what it is about the machine translation the Devs are using for their update notes, but every single one leans hard into being super endearing, rather than annoying. I don't know how they do it.

quote:

Hi engineers,

Thanks to all of your efforts, the amount of Dyson Sphere is increasing in the galaxy while the bugs are vanishing one after another. Your support are encouraging us to move forward. Thank you!

[Version 0.6.15.5655]

Bug Fix:
Fixed a bug that the distance may not judged correctly while constructing a logistic station.

Improvement:
You can find that the UI is running more smooth in manual research, technology tree and research queue than before, because the UI efficiency is optimized 0.5ms/frame.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Quantum Shart posted:

I think I'm onto 4 days in a row of new game, I really like the build up to yellow bricks and think I'm going to go max resources so they don't run out cause I'm a coward

If you want to keep the existing save, and don't mind running some random internet stranger's executable code on your machine, I made a mod for that.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I bought this but have not played too much yet due to work. Is this game infinite? I saw there were 64 stars in my galaxy, but the tech tree mentions visiting other galaxies.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay I have no idea what it is about the machine translation the Devs are using for their update notes, but every single one leans hard into being super endearing, rather than annoying. I don't know how they do it.

oh the tips and writeups are full of engrish via google translate, obviously isn't their first language

ragzilla posted:

If you want to keep the existing save, and don't mind running some random internet stranger's executable code on your machine, I made a mod for that.

thanks but my gamestyle atm is no saves, only new planets

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do you have to click the cube production in your matrix labs for them to count, or will it at some point automatically get turned into research? That was annoying as hell when I was farting around last night, but I may be missing some key detail since I never played Factorio.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Arsonide posted:

I bought this but have not played too much yet due to work. Is this game infinite? I saw there were 64 stars in my galaxy, but the tech tree mentions visiting other galaxies.

The tech tree/translation is wonky and you have "only" the "tiny" star cluster of 32-64 stars which should be more than enough for you. However you can up the ores until they reach "Infinite" (really 1 billion units per vein).

On a side note I have made a minor discovery. I'm sure everyone knows that you can get titanium from clearing rocks by hand (instead of smashing them under foundations and buildings). Most people (like me) probably assumed it was a small, random chance. I've discovered that the titanium comes from very specific rock shape. These tall rocks, and only these tall rocks, will net you titanium ore so you can get enough for early stuff without leaving the starter planet:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
AFAIK a lab can either produce a cube, or consume a cube to advance research, but not both. Which it is doing is shown in the circle on the right.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I can't take any remotely poignent or cool sci fi pictures any more because the loving thing shows up in all of them.

There is definitely a Culture mind somewhere that has done this exact thing and had exactly the same response.

i want you to know that i'm quite literally still giggling at this

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ciaphas posted:

i want you to know that i'm quite literally still giggling at this

Ditto. Also I linked the initial dickbut reveal video to every discord server I'm in. :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alkydere posted:

The tech tree/translation is wonky and you have "only" the "tiny" star cluster of 32-64 stars which should be more than enough for you. However you can up the ores until they reach "Infinite" (really 1 billion units per vein).

On a side note I have made a minor discovery. I'm sure everyone knows that you can get titanium from clearing rocks by hand (instead of smashing them under foundations and buildings). Most people (like me) probably assumed it was a small, random chance. I've discovered that the titanium comes from very specific rock shape. These tall rocks, and only these tall rocks, will net you titanium ore so you can get enough for early stuff without leaving the starter planet:

that's for the tip, yeah I have some gems and titanium randomly that I got from clearing things early on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Do you have to click the cube production in your matrix labs for them to count, or will it at some point automatically get turned into research? That was annoying as hell when I was farting around last night, but I may be missing some key detail since I never played Factorio.

labs have two modes - make cube and turn cube into research. you need two labs next to each other to automate the process, one lab feeding cubes to the other, or you can output the cubes to a storage box and set research to manual mode (which consumes items in your inventory)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

labs have two modes - make cube and turn cube into research. you need two labs next to each other to automate the process, one lab feeding cubes to the other, or you can output the cubes to a storage box and set research to manual mode (which consumes items in your inventory)

You can also do a combination of both where you consume the cubes and they are auto researching in the background.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Been playing this for a couple nights, I'm getting into red researches although their production is slower than I'd like. I could probably double the number of oil refineries making hydrogen (currently four), but my system is already experiencing problems due to the problem of storing all the refined fuel. I know it's gonna be useful eventually, but right now all I can do is burn it (would take loads of thermal gens to keep up with production) or make plastic. Is plastic something that's worth having heaps of, or is it more of a niche product?

Anyway, I guess the next step is to grab all the red researches and set up an interplanetary network to start getting titanium.
Some questions:
-Is it necessary to bring all the colours of cubes to the same matrix tower (or tower cluster)? Is there some way to have this lab eat red cubes, while that one eats blues, etc?
-If not, is it feasible to transport cubes between planets, or should I assume all the colours will need to be produced on one planet?
-What's up with fluid tanks? I can't seem to put H or Refined Fuel in them.
-It seems to me that a lot of techs just unlock the construction of some new material, which you need other techs to actually make use of. Is this correct?
-Is there a way to turn my home planet into a parking lot other than by hand? The water's useful, but the rocks and trees are getting annoying. Some sort of area-command for my drones to just disintegrate everything would be cool.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kazzah posted:

I could probably double the number of oil refineries making hydrogen (currently four), but my system is already experiencing problems due to the problem of storing all the refined fuel. I know it's gonna be useful eventually, but right now all I can do is burn it (would take loads of thermal gens to keep up with production) or make plastic.

Oil is infinite, so there's really no reason not to just feed it to a line of thermal gens for now. Also, the burned oil pays for the oil processing and more. Once you unlock solar, you can transition to that. In my latest save, I went with 24 oil refineries and ~20 thermal gens. 12 refined oil per second at 4.4MJ per oil is 52.8MJ per second. Times 0.8 (thermal gen modifier) gives 42.24MJ, divided by 2.16MW per gen equals ~19.56 generators at full usage.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I went and visited some of the stranger "stars"!

First, a look at the warp screen for those of you who aren't there yet, it's pretty trippy.

NTR-12317+12 is, as the name suggests, a neutron star system.

For those of you expecting that these stars have something special... well, sort of? Apart from being very pretty they tend to be single planet star systems with an ice field gelisol with a bunch of rare resources. By the time you can afford to travel the 20-30 light years for these stars though, they're kind of a waste.

Next is DSR-10339-40, a black hole. As you can see it's pretty much the same, and if anything is even worse if you wanted to try and collect energy from the "star" itself.

But very, very pretty indeed.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Interstellar are FAR more power hungry.

Do note that's MAX consumption. The interstellar logistics stations can have their max charging power configured from 300MW all the way down to 30. Same for planetary; 60 down to 6.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jossar posted:

But very, very pretty indeed.

this rules, I can't wait to get off world.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Monowhatever posted:

echoing that this game is so loving pretty. I can't wait to get to stars with other colors.

So from a theoretical physics perspective, if we were launching Dyson Solar Sails around the sun with rail guns, could we actually make non-ecliptical rings like that? It seems like it would highly depend on the exact position of the earth in it's orbit when the sail was launched, and that we wouldn't be able to have a ring of dyson sails in the same orbit. We'd have to settle on just ecliptic orbits launched from between the tropic of cancer and capricorn depending on the time of year, or the sails would have to be at slightly different orbital radii so they wouldn't intersect each other.

I'm assuming the total number of dyson sails in those rings are much greater then the number of sails you could launch at the same time. Obviously if you could launch 10,000 dyson sails within a few minutes of each other they could all be approximately the same orbit.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Been playing this for a couple nights, I'm getting into red researches although their production is slower than I'd like. I could probably double the number of oil refineries making hydrogen (currently four), but my system is already experiencing problems due to the problem of storing all the refined fuel. I know it's gonna be useful eventually, but right now all I can do is burn it (would take loads of thermal gens to keep up with production) or make plastic. Is plastic something that's worth having heaps of, or is it more of a niche product?

Anyway, I guess the next step is to grab all the red researches and set up an interplanetary network to start getting titanium.
Some questions:
-Is it necessary to bring all the colours of cubes to the same matrix tower (or tower cluster)? Is there some way to have this lab eat red cubes, while that one eats blues, etc?
-If not, is it feasible to transport cubes between planets, or should I assume all the colours will need to be produced on one planet?
-What's up with fluid tanks? I can't seem to put H or Refined Fuel in them.
-It seems to me that a lot of techs just unlock the construction of some new material, which you need other techs to actually make use of. Is this correct?
-Is there a way to turn my home planet into a parking lot other than by hand? The water's useful, but the rocks and trees are getting annoying. Some sort of area-command for my drones to just disintegrate everything would be cool.

- You need tons of plastic for yellow science, until you find another source for those organic crystals.
- Interplanetary needs yellow science, so be prepared to cart some titanium around manually before you can setup the logistics
- All science needs to be in the same building to research
- Use belts for fluid tanks, not sorters
-If you build a building, trees/rocks in the way get removed automatically (but you don't get the resources)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So from a theoretical physics perspective, if we were launching Dyson Solar Sails around the sun with rail guns, could we actually make non-ecliptical rings like that?

No. If you shoot something into orbit wirh a railgun, the other end of the orbit would be the point you fired from

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tamba posted:

No. If you shoot something into orbit wirh a railgun, the other end of the orbit would be the point you fired from

Doesn't that depend on the mass of the something? Those solar sails seem to be quite low mass, so if they have reaction control, theoretically they could use photon pressure to change their orbit. It's even been theorized in real life.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, in my head I assume the sails have either a little reaction mass for orbital adjustments / stationkeeping or some other exotic way to do so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Oh I see. Will this work if the labs are stacked atop each other? Like the bottom one produces cube and the cube is pushed upstairs? Do I have that right?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Oh I see. Will this work if the labs are stacked atop each other? Like the bottom one produces cube and the cube is pushed upstairs? Do I have that right?

No, everything in a lab stack does the same thing. The whole stack can either research or produce.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

boz posted:

No, everything in a lab stack does the same thing. The whole stack can either research or produce.
Friendly robot Chinese guy lied to me! Do stacked tanks interconnect at least

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I got the Drive Engine 3 upgrade that says it increases mecha sail speed by 1,000 m/s, but when I launch into space I'm still stuck at 100 m/s. Is there a key or something that I can use to accelerate faster? I seem to get up to 120 m/s as I'm closing in on my target planet but otherwise pressing space or w doesn't get me past 100 m/s in interplanetary space.

Nessus posted:

Friendly robot Chinese guy lied to me! Do stacked tanks interconnect at least

Stacking is like adding a multiplier to whatever the building normally does. If you stack 2 research buildings you get twice as much research or twice as much cube production. If you stack two storage buildings you get twice as much storage.

All buildings in a stack are connected for input/output purposes, so you don't need feeds at every level, but all buildings in a stack are linked together when it comes to what they're producing.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 28, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I got the Drive Engine 3 upgrade that says it increases mecha sail speed by 1,000 m/s, but when I launch into space I'm still stuck at 100 m/s. Is there a key or something that I can use to accelerate faster? I seem to get up to 120 m/s as I'm closing in on my target planet but otherwise pressing space or w doesn't get me past 100 m/s in interplanetary space.

Shift accelerates. Also drains energy really fast.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Gadzuko posted:

Oh poo poo thank you!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gadzuko posted:

On the plus side, there's no damage in the game so you can use all your fuel and crash into your target planet at 1000 m/s with no issues.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

On the plus side, there's no damage in the game so you can use all your fuel and crash into your target planet at 1000 m/s with no issues.

You can even fly into the sun!

You just kinda bounce off of it though, because of the whole no damage thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Stacking is like adding a multiplier to whatever the building normally does. If you stack 2 research buildings you get twice as much research or twice as much cube production. If you stack two storage buildings you get twice as much storage.

All buildings in a stack are connected for input/output purposes, so you don't need feeds at every level, but all buildings in a stack are linked together when it comes to what they're producing.
This is true, but that also means it multiplies how much you have to feed the stack, too. E.G. a regular sorter won’t completely feed a tall stack of labs.