Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Too-Tikki is a lady? I literally never realized. But in hindsight, she is the best so of *COURSE* Tove based her off her gal pal.

I think it's one of those things where if you know she's based on Tuulikki, then it just seems obvious. Otherwise I could easily see someone assuming she's a dude, extra so since pronouns don't get used that much in Moomin. (And apparently some dubs have also referred to her as him.)
Out of the shadow of the Moomins: Celebrating the graphics of Tuulikki Pietilä Sounds like she was as rad and supporting to Tove as Too-tikki is to the Moominfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

garfield hentai posted:

Jeremy wanting to name the cat Clapton is giving the same vibes as 16-year-old Peter in Foxtrot being super into Bruce Springsteen

To be fair, when it was originally established that Peter was super into Springsteen, it was 1988.

Kavak posted:

Sometimes teens are into classic rock, I was obsessed with The Doors in high school.

I live in a college town and let me tell you, when frat boys are out on their lawns on weekend afternoons tossing a ball around and sipping out of red cups, they are bumping Dad Rock. Nothing like hearing "Jack & Diane" from two blocks away.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

readingatwork posted:

(Jul 120, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUByuHvXN0E&t=47s

B Kliban

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

garfield hentai posted:

Jeremy wanting to name the cat Clapton is giving the same vibes as 16-year-old Peter in Foxtrot being super into Bruce Springsteen

Hi, I’m the 15-year old who was up front and center when Springsteen played a concert in town with a huge acoustic band playing old American folk songs. AMA.

(Peter is basically me, is what I’m saying).

Not to go into a rant, but seriously: if ya’ll ever get the chance, in the future, to see Springsteen live: do it. It seriously changed my life.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Born 80 years too soon.

JethroMcB posted:

The other day I drafted a post criticizing Heathcliff, saying that it is a strip you can safely scroll past because, for as "crazy" as it is is, most of the time it's just something like Heathcliff and the kid watching a pug driving a Go-kart with a pug's face on the front, and the kid says "Pug-Kart." And that's it. Then, two weeks later, you'd see the exact same visual gag but now there would be two pugs driving and the caption would be "Go-Pugs." The strip isn't just lazy, it's repetitive.

I wound up not posting it because I thought "What do I care, that's a hyperbolic take; it lands a joke every now and then and it's not that derivative." Then, this week:

To quote Nick Wiger in that article about modern Heathcliff, “I think I am actually mad.”
Yeah, I think that's the same reason the weirdness bounces off me - yes, something like MEAT TANK is zany, but it's the same zany over and over. At least it's not completely up its own rear end like Zippy is?

How Wonderful! posted:

It also includes these following transphobic gems, which, no lie, shoved me all the way into the back of the closet in despair and disgust in college when I first read the drat book, so this page has turned into a true loving bummer to annotate!

She was also the dissertation advisor to Janice Raymond, who would go on to publish her thesis as the foundational TERF text The Transsexual Empire.

Young Bechdel, get your poo poo together!

Big oof. :smith:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

How Wonderful! posted:

Next to that she appears to be reading a Tintin album-- I can't make out the lettering on the bottom of the cover so I don't know if it's a real Tintin or a pastiche. Bechdel has written in various interviews about the influence Herge had on her art-- I think the thumbprint is pretty obvious.
Looks like it says "Tintin Meets The Amazons" which makes it a pastiche.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Kavak posted:

Sometimes teens are into classic rock, I was obsessed with The Doors in high school.

I loved Aerosmith as a 12-year-old because I played Revolution X on PS1 a ton back then. gently caress, I had terrible taste. And still do!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm Mr Pickles seems like a bit of a deep cut, huh?

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BigglesSWE posted:

Not to go into a rant, but seriously: if ya’ll ever get the chance, in the future, to see Springsteen live: do it. It seriously changed my life.

The last Springsteen show I went to he played for almost three and half hours with no set breaks. It's legit the best pure rock and roll experience you'll ever have.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

A self-describing comic.

What. even. is. this.

I normally skip over holbrook, and all discussion of holbook as a deeply costly thing for my sanity otherwise. But what the gently caress? Am I supposed to know this character, who we only know as someone elses' daughter, so well that this completely nonsensical series of panels somehow forms a coherent thought. And not only that but find it funny?

What the gently caress was going through holbrook's head? A bubble test makes no sense? Why? Is it supposed to be anti-humor about how the strip itself makes no sense up until the last panel? Is there some characteristic to "Autocorrect"(are they an actual character or literally the concept of autocorrect?) that would make them fill out a bubble test in that way?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ikanreed posted:

A self-describing comic.

What. even. is. this.

I normally skip over holbrook, and all discussion of holbook as a deeply costly thing for my sanity otherwise. But what the gently caress? Am I supposed to know this character, who we only know as someone elses' daughter, so well that this completely nonsensical series of panels somehow forms a coherent thought. And not only that but find it funny?

What the gently caress was going through holbrook's head? A bubble test makes no sense? Why? Is it supposed to be anti-humor about how the strip itself makes no sense up until the last panel? Is there some characteristic to "Autocorrect"(are they an actual character or literally the concept of autocorrect?) that would make them fill out a bubble test in that way?
The girl is actually a computer program, the offspring of The Computer Bug and an "autocorrect" program. The baby "autocorrects" text even though Holbrook clearly doesn't know what autocorrecting is.

The Dinette Set knows their love is true, even if nothing else is.

Working Daze shows off.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a star-making role.

Cul De Sac doesn't like to share.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Y favorite thing about Holbrook is how he’ll pretend to have some sort of scientific basis for certain things (like when he specifically notes that he’s editing out the time delay when communicating between Earth and Mars) but then completely negates any sort of scientific anything with, well, literally everything else.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

isnt one of the kids in save havens named cora and looks the same as autocorrect?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze shows off.

If she were actually treating her fingers like binary digits, she could count to 1023.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 30, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 29, 1935)

Dark Laughter (May 24, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (March 9, 1947)

Those Were the Days (March 29, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (April 20, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 20, 1965)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheMadMilkman posted:

If she were actually treating her fingers like binary digits, she could count to 1023.

Obligatory squirrel girl page.
https://twitter.com/BrettSimison/status/1354503263471751171

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Cora is specifically the embodiment of the concept of correllation of data, which presumably did not exist before her birth two years or so ago.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 11-12, 1933)

Peanuts (January 29-30, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft catches up with the times without really catching up with the times.

9 Chickweed Legs

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 27-28, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 30, 1935-January 1, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (January 28, 30-31, 1917; spoiler for racial stereotyping.)

Dok's "SuperQUACK" Duck (June 8, 1913)

Today our hero is banging on about the Revenue Act of 1913. For decades after the Civil War, protectionist policies held the Republican coalition together, but by the Wilson administration the Democrats viewed them as an unfair tax on consumers, and the Revenue Act of 1913 cut them drastically.

The Act also established a permanent federal income tax in the wake of the 16th Amendment made that a thing the feds could do without fearing a court challenge. It was believed that would shift the tax burden onto the wealthier population. "Yeah, we'll see about that," generations of accountants replied.

Anyway, that makes the Kid an advocate for home-grown quiet. Imported silence isn't enough to make America hush again.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Legs

Brooke, it's January, you dunce.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I'm kinda into this reverse antlers idea.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Brooke, it's January, you dunce.

I just imagined the Red Letter Media crew drown by Brooke and my mind's eye poked itself out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (February 27, 1929)

When was Nick introduced?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Tragically my aging decrepit body probably cannot handle a Fweem so for now I must stick to my normal drink of a fistful of cocaine dissolved in absinthe.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 12, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 17-18, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jul 23, 2018)

(Jul 27, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Since this was published in 1942, by which time Operation Barbarossa was...not going well, I'm fairly confident that those are Russian wolves.

Not sure if a Rose Bowl parade call-out or just a sick burn on USC.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Am I missing the joke, or is this just an early "Yoga is from Foreign Parts, and therefore Of The Devil"?

"Phallocratic Technology" would make a good title for a Shadowrun heist location.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It annoys me how Holbrook drew the kids, including the stupid autocorrect, holding up papers IRL as a shorthand for there being a test. Online quizzes exist, Holbrook. :argh:

Oh my loving god, these two are the absolute worst. The kid's not playing with the robot because she sees Mars as a sibling, she's doing it because she grew up thinking of the robot as a toy. I don't think these two even explained to their kid what Mars's deal is, or that she has a sibling.

Good job alerting the intruder, you morons.

ikanreed posted:

A self-describing comic.

What. even. is. this.

Self-describing is how Holbrook's "humor" works. He seems to think that doing a bunch of nonsensical visual metaphor and then having a character or textbox explain the punchline at the end is what passes for a joke. And if Classic Kevin & Kell is anything to go by, the man hasn't learned a thing for decades.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

Am I missing the joke, or is this just an early "Yoga is from Foreign Parts, and therefore Of The Devil"?

I think the joke is that the guy thinks he can learn to walk on hot coals just by reading a book.

Remember, at the time Addams drew this, firewalking wasn't something regularly done at corporate retreats and charity fundraisers. It would have been seen as a bizarre stunt from the Mysterious East, like lying on a bed of nails or the Indian Rope Trick.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cobalt-60 posted:

... That's a restaurant.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Rand Brittain posted:

Cora is specifically the embodiment of the concept of correllation of data, which presumably did not exist before her birth two years or so ago.

Huh, never picked up on this, but it's certainly plausible. The weirdest thing about Cora is that as a baby she seemed to be the embodiment of autocomplete, since there were multiple strips where she'd randomly interrupt people in the middle of words by shouting out things that began with the appropriate syllable...but Holbrook never seemed to acknowledge, or possibly even realize, this.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 9/16/45
You know what? It all being a dream doesn't bother as much as the fact that Abretha used four drops instead of three and it was completely irrelevant and never mentioned again. Why include that very specific detail if you're not going to do anything with it?

So how are they different from any other cops?

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For
Continuing on with the next chunk of "Serial Monogamy"...

At the time Serial Monogamy came out I had been through a long series of unsuccessful relationships, plus periods of "committed noncommitment" and celibacy, which worked about as well for me as Bechdel portrays and, holy cow, this series spoke to me - even the long term relationships that didn't seem worthy of emulation. It's got to take a special mentality to keep those kinds of mementos, though.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

How Wonderful! posted:

Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism is a 1979 book by the philosopher Mary Daly, linking "female energy" to the vagina and the fundamental power of creation. It came under fire by Audre Lorde shortly after its publication for being narrowly Eurocentric and rather oblivious to the myths and lives of women of color.

It also includes these following transphobic gems, which, no lie, shoved me all the way into the back of the closet in despair and disgust in college when I first read the drat book, so this page has turned into a true loving bummer to annotate!

:( I'm sorry you had to re-live that poo poo, HW.

Cobalt-60 posted:

...I think you quoted the wrong strip.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 28, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Whoops, mistake

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I think the joke is that he's shoveled all the coals out of the furnace and put them on the floor to practice firewalking on, instead of leaving the coals to heat the house normally.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tiggum posted:

You know what? It all being a dream doesn't bother as much as the fact that Abretha used four drops instead of three and it was completely irrelevant and never mentioned again. Why include that very specific detail if you're not going to do anything with it?

I assume the extra drop is why her legs didn't turn green. But also it's just a fat joke, big woman needs some extra formula, even if it wouldn't work that way since it's a bathtub anyway.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Imagine being married for 20+ years and still being so completely insecure with your spouse.

Hel posted:

I assume the extra drop is why her legs didn't turn green. But also it's just a fat joke, big woman needs some extra formula, even if it wouldn't work that way since it's a bathtub anyway.

The strip said that she didn’t turn green because she went outside when it was raining instead of sunny. The stuff was affected by the level of UV light.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/27/01

Brenda Starr 9/30/45

Seriously, what is it about Brenda going goopy over men who physically threaten her (even politely)?

Smokey Stover 5/11-13/39

Richard's Poor Almanac