Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

I wasn't ready for this when I opened up my newsfeed.

I had it as a popup on my lock screen from JMS's post. loving awful thing to see first thing in the morning.

As far as favorite moments, it's not one, but it's anytime she does that little genuine smile. Like she's not acting the smile, she's really smiling from her heart. I'll have to try to find an example but I'm not sure I have the heart to watch clips right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

head58 posted:

We’re going to record a remembrance episode for our podcast this weekend. What are some of your favorite Delenn moments (other than “If you value your lives, be somewhere else” of course).

"Follow them back to their bases and kill them all!! NO MERCY!!" *sobbing*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

head58 posted:

We’re going to record a remembrance episode for our podcast this weekend. What are some of your favorite Delenn moments (other than “If you value your lives, be somewhere else” of course).

When they get chased away by the Drakh but then she gets this cold stare and turns right back around for an immediate surprise counterattack.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

head58 posted:

Starfire Wheel.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

drat. RIP Mira

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Read about this last night, she was great.

RIP

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

head58 posted:

Her breaking the Grey Council is a great moment.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
RIP, we truly live in the darkest age.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Goblin Craft posted:

When they get chased away by the Drakh but then she gets this cold stare and turns right back around for an immediate surprise counterattack.

This is mine too. I haven't been able to find a clip of the actual line, but I sort of remember it.

Lennier proposes a destination after they flew the Drakh attack and Delenn says something like, "We're not leaving. They've attacked defenseless ships, they destroyed Whitestar 14. Now, they will pay the price."

Nobody could do righteous anger like Mira Furlan.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

I had it as a popup on my lock screen from JMS's post. loving awful thing to see first thing in the morning.

As far as favorite moments, it's not one, but it's anytime she does that little genuine smile. Like she's not acting the smile, she's really smiling from her heart. I'll have to try to find an example but I'm not sure I have the heart to watch clips right now.

It's her eyes. When she's angry there's a fury cold as steel in them, and when she was smiling there was the twinkling of stars in them. I noticed that during my last watch, her smile was just captivating.

I'll be having a toast tonight. To absent friends, in memory still bright

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

head58 posted:

I'm not usually following your podcast, but I will totally turn in for this one. I would really appreciate it if you posted the link and a reminder to listen when you upload the podcast.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mllaneza posted:

Rest in light Mira.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Heartbreaking :smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This might actually be my favorite Delenn moment. There's so many to choose from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLrZ07-DuE

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always felt like her experience being in a country that was literally being torn apart probably brought something special to her acting, but I'm not exactly sure what.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Here’s our podcast episode on Remembering Mira Furlan, if anyone is interested.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639

https://overcast.fm/+JPERf9bRU

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/2021/1/24/remembering-mira-furlan

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: now on HBO Max :siren:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

:siren: now on HBO Max :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/comments/k05mw9/all_episode_on_itunes_have_been/

Just a reminder that these episodes are borked on the Itunes/Amazon/HBO 'remaster'

Season 1, Episode 20 - "Babylon Squared"
original length: 43m 47s
new length: 41m 01s
missing footage: 2m 46s
missing footage starts @ 40:14

Season 4, Episode 1 - "The Hour of the Wolf"
original length: 43m 44s
new length: 41m 49s
missing footage: 1m 55s
missing footage starts @ 01:20

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

According to this, it's been a 6 year project and 'labor of love'.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Enjoyed it as I enjoyed the whole run of shows you guys put out. Not sure what else you guys could produce, but it was nice hearing you again!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Enjoyed it as I enjoyed the whole run of shows you guys put out. Not sure what else you guys could produce, but it was nice hearing you again!

Thank you! It’s much appreciated. We’ve talked about doing a series of episodes on short run genre tv shows that we felt were important but died too soon, or maybe something on Fringe. Not sure what we’ll do.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

According to this, it's been a 6 year project and 'labor of love'.

I don't have iTunes or HBO Max, and I often have audio/video sync issues with Amazon's digital content. Anyone know if the version on Vudu is the "good" (newest) remaster? Apparently Vudu had a 4:3 version before, but it wasn't that great. The description on Vudu does say "fully remastered" but I'm hoping someone can confirm that it's the same as the recent iTunes/HBO/Amazon version.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Number_6 posted:

I don't have iTunes or HBO Max, and I often have audio/video sync issues with Amazon's digital content. Anyone know if the version on Vudu is the "good" (newest) remaster? Apparently Vudu had a 4:3 version before, but it wasn't that great. The description on Vudu does say "fully remastered" but I'm hoping someone can confirm that it's the same as the recent iTunes/HBO/Amazon version.

I just fired up the one ep I have on vudu of b5 and it's s1e1. It's in 4:3, but this image looks a bit sharper than I remember?

edit: Same shot from amazon. They seem to be pretty on par.

Edit mk2:

Here's Vudu

here's Amazon

The buttons on the control panels don't look as crisp in the vudu version I think

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 27, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, on Vudu you can't see that the buttons are a little grid.

The CGI is drastically sharper, which is nice. (Just fired up my DVD for a comparison shot, and eg all the little rows of lights are just blurred into one on the dvd)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 27, 2021

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Is there a reason why the iTunes version is like half the price of Amazon's ($70 for the whole show vs $30 per season)? Are those not the same quality and/or locked to iTunes after purchase?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Oh cool so, Amazon remastered version is unavailable for me, itunes is music only here too and vudu is straight up ip blocked.

Amazing, I love this new world of dumb as gently caress services. How can I give a money to get the remastered version without having to wait years for it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TheCoach posted:

Oh cool so, Amazon remastered version is unavailable for me, itunes is music only here too and vudu is straight up ip blocked.

Amazing, I love this new world of dumb as gently caress services. How can I give a money to get the remastered version without having to wait years for it?
The other thread has a link that says b5 blu-rays are coming this march.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The other thread has a link that says b5 blu-rays are coming this march.

Claims that the release date is now the likely placeholder of 31 December 2021 so don’t hold your breath.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The CGI is drastically sharper, which is nice. (Just fired up my DVD for a comparison shot, and eg all the little rows of lights are just blurred into one on the dvd)
That's because the DVDs are lovely (they crop+stretch the cgi scenes so they fit into 'hd' aspect ratio)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ayin posted:

That's because the DVDs are lovely (they crop+stretch the cgi scenes so they fit into 'hd' aspect ratio)

That's only a part of what made them look so lovely. This detailed breakdown by someone who knows what he's talking about is a cool read:
http://www.iki.fi/leopold/Babylon5/DVD/DVDTransfer.html

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 28, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I just fired up the one ep I have on vudu of b5 and it's s1e1. It's in 4:3, but this image looks a bit sharper than I remember?

[snipped]

The buttons on the control panels don't look as crisp in the vudu version I think

Wow, thanks for going to the trouble of capturing those screenshots! For whatever reason, the Amazon version looks noticeably crisper to me. It's more pronounced in the control room/live action scene, but even in the CGI scene, the lighted "windows" on that ...thing are more sharply defined in the Amazon image.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

See, I couldn't tell the difference on the CGI stuff. Which makes me wonder if Vudu got some sort of partially upsampled thing where they just worried about the cgi shots and left the live shots alone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That’s weird as hell that there are multiple versions running around, I wouldn’t think WB would pay a cent more than necessary to get it out and different versions for different services is an extravagance. Are different services compressing the same source file for streaming differently maybe?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CainFortea posted:

edit: Same shot from amazon. They seem to be pretty on par.

Edit mk2:

Here's Vudu

here's Amazon

Just out of curiosity, I checked the image quality on HBO Max. On my phone or through an app on TV, it looks like the HD Amazon version. Through the hbomax.com on my computer, it is noticeably blurrier and lower bit-rate. It seems like they limit it to 480p for web browsers, and there is no Windows app.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Watching "The Gathering" and "Midnight on the Firing Line" this evening and while I enjoy the continuity of having the Christopher Franke score, I wish there was an option for the original one still. Dr Kyle is a ton of fun, I wish some of the other folks in the first pilot got to come back the way Lyta did.

There's a lot of "Here are some things we'll come back to in about two seasons" that I am pretty sure I missed when I watched the original broadcasts. Plus, my brain appears to have most of "Midnight" memorized still, which I did not expect.

The costumes look SO MUCH better on HBO Max than on my lovely VHS tapes I recorded with my hand-me-down VCR in college. G'Kar and Londo look amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone once described the pilot as a quintessential version of the 80s/90s tv culture change.

It's so close to trying to get to something new and unique but still reeks of 80s sensibilities and style in many ways.

By the time season 1 hit they have managed to figure out a theme that stood apart from the previous decade and focused on that to what I would say is pretty great success by season 2 in creating a distinct vibe that wasn't trying to copy Star Trek or any other big 80s shows.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think s1 is underrated. The extras and costuming are kind of exuberant, like they're so pumped to be doing this awesome sci did show, and Michael ohare is delightful.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Q_res posted:

This might actually be my favorite Delenn moment. There's so many to choose from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLrZ07-DuE

There are so many good ones. I've always been partial to this sequence (featuring our good friend Dome Tech #1!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I think s1 is underrated. The extras and costuming are kind of exuberant, like they're so pumped to be doing this awesome sci did show, and Michael ohare is delightful.

I specifically mean the stuff from the pilot they had dropped already by s1 and then had refined more by s2. Even the way they shoot the actors way in close during conversations and things like that, major hold overs from the 80s.

Also, the super weird stuff like the weapons and really "alien" make up they tried to go hard in on the sci-fi angle before settling for just making firearms look like modern ones with some futuristic design

A lot of the hair and costumes too were very 80s and over the top for civilian characters, but by s1 they had a much sleeker look then the pilot for a lot of things. S2 was kind of where it went into a sharp, crisp kind of style as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ironically, this shot wouldn't look out of place in Avenue 5.