Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
home roasting, like espresso, will not save you money in the end. you will just keep accumulating gear until you go "oh gently caress what have i done" and list it all on ebay for local pickup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just home roast in the oven if you live alone. You just need a baking sheet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Recently I've been on some antibiotics and such and it's completely hosed with my guts in a way that makes coffee cause some hella nausea for me in my normal dosage. Cutting back on it still is kinda gnarly, but caffeinated tea is generally okay, so I'm going to start experimenting with a decaf roast that my go-to roaster has.

It looks like they use the same beans that they would normally use but have some kind of chemical process involving sugar to burn off the caffeine to be "almost negligible", one of the baristas mentioned to me over the phone. Any roasters or other coffee experts here have any details on different decaffeinating methods?

e: https://greatergoodsroasting.com/collections/all-coffee/products/low-strung is the coffee

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

aldantefax posted:

Recently I've been on some antibiotics and such and it's completely hosed with my guts in a way that makes coffee cause some hella nausea for me in my normal dosage. Cutting back on it still is kinda gnarly, but caffeinated tea is generally okay, so I'm going to start experimenting with a decaf roast that my go-to roaster has.

It looks like they use the same beans that they would normally use but have some kind of chemical process involving sugar to burn off the caffeine to be "almost negligible", one of the baristas mentioned to me over the phone. Any roasters or other coffee experts here have any details on different decaffeinating methods?

e: https://greatergoodsroasting.com/collections/all-coffee/products/low-strung is the coffee

Maybe scarf mass quantities of probiotics and rebuild the fauna.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Fake Espresso questions: so I'm all in love with my new Baratza Encore. I also occasionally make espresso, but not with a real espresso machine, just this standard one that's like $30 and I usually put Cafe Bustelo in it. I'm probably never getting a real espresso setup, like until retirement or whatever at least. But I still felt inspired to try buying some whole bean espresso.

All those caveats in place, any recommendations on grind size? I know it's kind of like asking a professional photographer to take a picture with my phone, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone else does the same thing. So far I've tried 8 and 10, but I feel like it's not quite there yet. 8 seemed maybe not strong enough, 10 seemed a little sour. My instinct is to maybe go a little higher but I wanted to ask anyway. (Also I think I did 20g first, then upped it to 22, might do 24 next time because it still seemed like there was a little headroom.)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Canuck-Errant posted:

My secret accessory: an OXO Brew spoon/scraper thing. .

Mine is my aero press funnel

Gets used when I'm refilling my sugar bowl, preserving veges, dosing into my (49mm) basket

Wildly useful little tool in the kitchen

Tiny spray bottle gets strong runner up too

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sir Lemming posted:

I also occasionally make espresso, but not with a real espresso machine, just this standard one that's like $30

What do you mean by this? Do you mean the cheap pressurised portafilter machines like pic related or something else? The $30 part makes me think you mean something else which will alter the advice we can give.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They absolutely mean a moka pot, especially with the comment about cafe bustelo. Wrongme

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 26, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Fake Espresso questions: so I'm all in love with my new Baratza Encore. I also occasionally make espresso, but not with a real espresso machine, just this standard one that's like $30 and I usually put Cafe Bustelo in it. I'm probably never getting a real espresso setup, like until retirement or whatever at least. But I still felt inspired to try buying some whole bean espresso.

All those caveats in place, any recommendations on grind size? I know it's kind of like asking a professional photographer to take a picture with my phone, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone else does the same thing. So far I've tried 8 and 10, but I feel like it's not quite there yet. 8 seemed maybe not strong enough, 10 seemed a little sour. My instinct is to maybe go a little higher but I wanted to ask anyway. (Also I think I did 20g first, then upped it to 22, might do 24 next time because it still seemed like there was a little headroom.)

I’m not sure what you mean by “a standard machine” instead of an espresso machine. If it’s making espresso at all it’s an real espresso machine, even if it’s a dedica or bambino with a pressurized portafilter. Props if you got either of those machines for $30 though.

If you do have a pressurized portafilter machine, the encore is more than adequate. Basically you want to keep setting the grinder finer until your shot “chokes” and no liquid, or only a few drops, comes out. Then back off a setting or two until things get flowing again. Ultimately you want to produce a shot of espresso in around 30 seconds, from the time you turn on the pump to the time your target weight or volume is in the cup. The encore’s lack of adjustability means that you won’t be able to get as close as you’d like to that exact time but if you can get between 20 and 45 seconds you should be in good shape.

Specific grind settings are not usually helpful even if someone has the exact same grinder, machine and beans as you, because only extremely high-end grinders are calibrated, so the same grind setting number will correspond to different particle sizes on different machines. I’d expect the encore to be at the quite low end even for a pressurized portafilter though.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Still working on dialing in the Breville Barista Pro we picked up(it was the happy medium with my lady between a super Automated and one I can dial in)
Got a bottomless portafilter coming Thursday as I feel that will help me dial things in. And it looks cool. Okay, that's likely 83% of the reason I ordered one

I've been comparing my shots against the Nespresso machine we still have and I can pull comparable shots it seems. I can mimick lovely Starbucks fuffy drinks which sounds like I'm insulting myself.
Also, frothing milk is way more difficult then I expected.

Loving it either way

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Nice! I don’t do a ton of milk drinks but i’ve find i usually want to keep the “stretching” phase down to only a few seconds, and keep the milk moving as vigorously as possible during the “rolling” phase for best results. Angle of the steam wand doesn’t seem to matter all that much, and neither does depth once it’s past the stretching phase.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sorry, I didn't realize how unclear I was being. (Probably what I get for posting on a morning when I desperately need espresso in addition to my usual full French press.) I'm talking about one of these electric countertop things that has no settings. Slightly more than $30 I guess, but not by much.
https://www.amazon.com/IMUSA-USA-GAU-18202-Cappuccino-Cappuccion/dp/B07L85NN3T
I'm not sure if this is the exact one because I didn't buy it, it was a gift (I would've asked for something a little better).

I'll take it to heart that there's no way to give an exact number. That's interesting that I might have to go a little finer though, I wouldn't have guessed that, so that helps. To me it looks like I'm grinding slightly finer than Bustelo which made me think I needed to go coarser. But then again, Bustelo is just what my relatives use, so I guess it's not necessarily what I should be aiming for.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
e: on second thought: I have no idea with that machine

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 26, 2021

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Holy poo poo that looks like a super close copy of a Saeco espresso maker I played with growing up. It was a gift to my parents that they used a bit then got bored with, that I unearthed from a cabinet when I got old enough to drink coffee. Many good memories playing with that thing.

I figured out that it didn’t make enough pressure to make real espresso, so what I did was absolutely fill the water reservoir with as much water as it could hold, power it on until it was boiling, then screw the cover on as fast as possible. That would cause a much bigger spike in pressure. After it had brewed enough “espresso” I quickly swapped the cup I was brewing into for a big measuring cup to catch the rest of what was coming out.

This was all before YouTube or broadband internet so I didn’t know wtf I was doing and had no way to find out of course

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol maybe they're not as common as I thought. For some reason I got it into my head that that's basically the standard hella basic American "espresso" machine (knowing full well that it's not technically espresso or whatever). I originally got a different branded one as a wedding gift, it was slightly better than this one but basically the same thing. My in-laws have also always had one, recently replaced with a Mr. Coffee brand. So it's seemed really common, but I guess the common thread is the in-laws. Seems like every company makes their own version of it though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Is it really using just pure steam pressure to brew the espresso? No pump involved? That's the only way I can think of to get it down to that price point, but that would make it... challenging, to say the least, to get an espresso-like beverage out of it. If that's the case the closest equivalent I can think of is a moka pot and you might get good results treating it similarly: use slightly-coarser-than-espresso grind, and fill the reservoir with boiling water from the kettle before closing it and applying heat. You might also benefit from pre-heating the portafilter (use some of the boiling water from the kettle - before you put coffee in it!) and I would probably not try to make a full carafe, just switch cups after a certain point like i own every Bionicle said. What that point is, I couldn't tell you, but you could do an experiment to help you figure out what tastes best to you.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

James Hoffmann has being doing a high-end grinder showdown all week, with a new entry in the playlist each day. So far he's covered the Option-O Lagom P-64, the Weber EG-1 and the Mahlkönig EK-43S. Really interesting stuff. The Weber is truly amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxz0FjZMVOl2cq1ML2926rZk8zOAyL0uS

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I had one of those! It was my gift for being with the company for 5 years. I had the choice between women's jewelry and that, so ...

I never got a good cup from that thing (which doesn't mean much), but I am much happier with the results from my moka pot, and I haven't even started grinding my own beans yet (though I will this weekend, using the encore).

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I got to go to an industry event in Toronto a few years back where the team behind the Weber were showing off what it could do, and talking about the design process, and I was super impressed at the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like it was designed only for bored wealthy startup investors

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife mentioned she wouldn’t mind if we could brew a passable caramel latte at home instead of getting it when we go pick up beans from our local roaster. I don’t know if I should encourage her because I’m scared of the espresso rabbit hole.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just get her some caramel syrup and a milk foamer to use with regular brewed coffee.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

withak posted:

Just get her some caramel syrup and a milk foamer to use with regular brewed coffee.

If you shake the hell out of the creamer carton/container and then pour you basically get average coffeeshop latte foam.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

withak posted:

That makes sense to me. It does not make sense to the part of my brain who is bad with money and wants a full home espresso setup.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Democratic Pirate posted:

That makes sense to me. It does not make sense to the part of my brain who is bad with money and wants a full home espresso setup.

You want it because it's cool. I want it too. Earlier this year I had to talk myself out of spending £500 on a grinder and £600 on a La Pavoni manual espresso machine. For the one capuccino I was drinking each day.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Anjow posted:

You want it because it's cool. I want it too. Earlier this year I had to talk myself out of spending £500 on a grinder and £600 on a La Pavoni manual espresso machine. For the one capuccino I was drinking each day.

pfft that would pay for itself within a year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kemikalkadet posted:

pfft that would pay for itself within a year.

It really does do well on balance if you’re not still buying coffee. But don’t get it because it’ll necessarily save money if you’re not going to be bothered to actually make it every day. Because then it won’t save money and just take up counter space.

It really paid for itself last year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jhet posted:

It really does do well on balance if you’re not still buying coffee. But don’t get it because it’ll necessarily save money if you’re not going to be bothered to actually make it every day. Because then it won’t save money and just take up counter space.

It really paid for itself last year.

Still saves you money if it goes unused if it means you're not drinking one that day at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Still saves you money if it goes unused if it means you're not drinking one that day at all.

I see what you’re saying, but I have no idea how that works in practice. Not drinking coffee... smh

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mr. Mambold posted:

Maybe scarf mass quantities of probiotics and rebuild the fauna.

thats pretty much the strat and i’ve been feeling a ton better about a week and a half after I stopped the antibs, and now I am doin’ like 18g to 300-350ml water instead of my usual 40g to 600ml.

I think the main thing is that I want to drink something hot but not caffeinated as it gets later into the night. I think I am feeling (and acknowledging) the caffeine impacting my pre-sleep routine, but when I go to sleep it is usually chill.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jhet posted:

I see what you’re saying, but I have no idea how that works in practice. Not drinking coffee... smh

Goons with Spoons > The Coffee Thread: Not drinking coffee... smh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

aldantefax posted:

I think the main thing is that I want to drink something hot but not caffeinated as it gets later into the night. I think I am feeling (and acknowledging) the caffeine impacting my pre-sleep routine, but when I go to sleep it is usually chill.

Have you tried any coffee substitute or mixing them with your coffee to dilute it? The popular kind of coffee in South India is made from a blend of chicory and coffee. Like with most other coffee things hoffman has a video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KArQ3mBzWC4

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Have you tried any coffee substitute or mixing them with your coffee to dilute it? The popular kind of coffee in South India is made from a blend of chicory and coffee. Like with most other coffee things hoffman has a video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KArQ3mBzWC4

Decaf coffee is what I am angling at trying, or regular tea but at weaker dosage is generally what I do now. I also do buckwheat tea which is caffeine free but can be hard on the system

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Anjow posted:

If you have the money for it, do it. I bought a top-end (but not ludricrous) setup and if it were to explode and be useless tomorrow I would buy a replacement with no hesitation. I have run 950 double shots since I bought it in July for two people and the occasional guest.

Coffee is 32$\kilo, 18g per dose, so 56 cents per double shot. (In beaver bucks) plus milk and the cost of running/wear and tear, still saving money in the end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jhet posted:

Yeah I don't understand either, but I think my logic is sound.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

If you have the money for it, do it. I bought a top-end (but not ludricrous) setup and if it were to explode and be useless tomorrow I would buy a replacement with no hesitation. I have run 950 double shots since I bought it in July for two people and the occasional guest.

Coffee is 32$\kilo, 18g per dose, so 56 cents per double shot. (In beaver bucks) plus milk and the cost of running/wear and tear, still saving money in the end.

yup, even a fairly expensive setup will pay for itself in a shockingly short amount of time if you're the kind of person (and/or there are people in your family) who regularly buy coffee at a coffeehouse

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's the problem, though - the argument about saving money only works once, when you first stop buying your pre-made drinks. I already used it up - now I'm comparing it to making them myself with the Sage Bambino Plus so there's no saving, just an improvement in quality.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 29, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The coffee is only half the reason people go to cafes anyway.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The coffee is only half the reason people go to cafes anyway.

The other is bacon and eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
And the third half is that people decide daily trips to their local coffee chain are essential travel because they need to get out the house during lockdown. And if they just so happen to bump into all their friends while they're waiting to be served, well that's just a coincidence and not at all a breach of lockdown measures.

Please don't go risking lives for a cup of coffee in the middle of a pandemic, people. And if you do need brand name coffee more than you need to stay away from people, at least be half-decent about it, customer service jobs have become three times shittier than they already were.

Edit: If you're in a functioning nation such as New Zealand, feel free to disregard this and go get yourself a cup of coffee.