Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

:tviv:

[UKMT]

Me: [chanting] keith, kieth-

Other posters: keeth, KEETH

Keith: [pounding the button] I FULLY SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENTS STRATEGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i want to non-chalantly walk past starmer and say "awrite keef"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
seems like the kind of oval office who'd get mad about something like that imo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I once cycled nonchalantly past Ed Miliband. I can't remember if it was while he was leader though, or after he became Ed Milirad.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

VILE LEFT WING BULLIES THREATEN OUR DEMOCRACY
- Rafael Behr

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Vile left ventricle bullies
- Rafael Behr

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

*the leader of the opposition looks like he's about to criticise the government*

LEAVE IT KEEF HE'S NOT WORTH IT

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobstar posted:

I once cycled nonchalantly past Ed Miliband. I can't remember if it was while he was leader though, or after he became Ed Milirad.

I cycled past JC a few weeks ago. He was walking towards Finsbury Park station, about to pass the cafe that is a shrine to him. The owner LOVES him.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

knox_harrington posted:

Absolutely gently caress Guido, and not in a good way. Christina Pagel is a great follow on twitter for those (not me) who have sufficient fortitude.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrischirp

I'm frankly amazed its taken this long for the various twat types to start attacking her. I guess the covid deniers and anti-lockdown people are just getting organised and have concluded that her clear, well researched and balanced overview of where we are every week in the independent sage briefings can no longer be allowed to exist in the face of their overwhelming anti-science, denialism and crackpottery.
Can't attack the facts? undermine the person. Shoot that messenger in the face!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

I cycled past JC a few weeks ago. He was walking towards Finsbury Park station, about to pass the cafe that is a shrine to him. The owner LOVES him.

Whenever I'm in London I stay with a family friend up the road from Finsbury Park station and am always a little disappointed that I never run into the gaffer himself. Also, I really want to go to that bowling place across the road from the station

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whenever I'm in London I stay with a family friend up the road from Finsbury Park station and am always a little disappointed that I never run into the gaffer himself. Also, I really want to go to that bowling place across the road from the station

Rowan's bowling alley. Good fun. Worth a visit.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

People are terrified about their kids. Their education and, for the younger ones, basic social development. My three year-old niece has barely interacted with another child for all of her life that she can remember.

Not saying we should open schools immediately or anything (that would be a disaster), but people vocalising their fear really isn't just idiots who want to go back to the pub and Tories who want money number to go up.
Oh absolutely, I just meant the politicians who are at least nominally in charge of the country but are pathologically incapable of making a plan and seeing it through to the end instead of resolving everything with token efforts and bluster.

Does anybody really doubt that we’ll open up too soon again, let everybody mingle over the summer and then be arguing about whether to close schools again this autumn?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Ms Adequate posted:

Honesty there are two Twitters - the political one where the conservatives go mask off, the liberals post exceedingly hot takes, and the left shitposts; and the Twitter for whatever fandom you're in, which could be anything from a specific video games from 1996 to trains to lady's feet to Magical Girl anime.

Just need to stay on the anime tiddy and femboy twitter.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, we should be using this summer to stamp the last few cases out and setting up an enhanced test and trace/ border quarantine system for the winter months, so we can keep the country virus-free.

But we won't.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

dispatch_async posted:

Is this 'teachers not at greater risk' thing still based on that terribly written ONS report which didn't show anything like that at all?

Presumably, teachers are not at greater risk than the general population if they work from home because the schools are closed. Health workers would be similarly safe, if closing the hospitals was an option.

If both hospitals and schools are open, teachers are at lower risk than nurses, because hospitals are where they send the sick people.In either case, that risk can be mitigated by vaccinating workers who have lower-case FaceTime with possibly-sick people.

Give me a study budget and I could, in 6 months time, write a paper proving all that with fancy math to say exactly how sure everything was. By which time the knowledge would be of no great use.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Samantha Cameron business hit by post-Brexit 'teething issues'

quote:

Samantha Cameron has said that her clothing business is being hampered by post-Brexit trading difficulties with European countries.

In a her first solo interview with the BBC, Cameron said her fashion brand, Cefinn, has been hit by “teething issues” and the extra costs involved in selling products to Europe under the government’s trade deal with EU.

Speaking to Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, she said: “If you’re bringing goods into the country from outside the UK and then trying to sell them back into Europe, that currently is challenging and difficult.”

Echoing the current Brexit concerns of many small businesses about red tape and extra charges, Cameron said: “We really thought we’d done our prep and this … we weren’t expecting. So I think for bigger business, it’s fine. But if you’re small, it’s a challenge.”

She said Brexit was thwarting her ambitions to expand her business into Europe.

She said: “It [teething issues] does need to be looked at because otherwise we can’t grow out business. It is frustrating, the majority of our business is in the UK and we do a bit of business in America, but we did have a bit of EU business. And obviously you’d like to grow it, because it’s on your doorstep. But unless some of the expense and cost of doing that is looked at it will be challenging.”

In an apparent swipe at government advisers who suggested that British businesses that export to the continent should set up separate companies inside the EU, Cameron said: “We can’t afford to have warehouses in Europe and that sort of thing.”

She also urged the current government to “talk to all businesses out there who are in a similar position to me”.

https://twitter.com/BBCWomansHour/status/1354732500246003712

insert peppa pig "oh dear" sound effect here

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Not saying we should open schools immediately or anything (that would be a disaster), but people vocalising their fear really isn't just idiots who want to go back to the pub and Tories who want money number to go up.
I'm wording this as gently as possible, but I'm afraid I have to be a little blunt to make the point:

Would you prefer your niece to be sad and behind the normal curve like every other child their age, or would you prefer them to be dead when the virus continues to mutate and move to younger targets?

crispix posted:

seems like the kind of oval office who'd get mad about something like that imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJFs_Dw-Y9o

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

:thunk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/camsell59/status/1354741870774120449

This time the Scottish Nationalists have gone too far.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

It's fake but it's funny

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/camsell59/status/1354741870774120449

This time the Scottish Nationalists have gone too far.

The no true Scotsman fallacy except it's about anything calling itself "iron brew"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what is the Opposition

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1354762648273883137?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

The no true Scotsman fallacy except it's about anything calling itself "iron brew"

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

I have bad news Guava. This is too big, can you get it down to 10k?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I don't get what's wrong with that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1354778363760668678?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

British people love spitting on each other so much they imported a new style of music from NYC in the 70s and re-tooled it to be about gobbing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Well yeah Corbyn is the most villainous figure in modern British history

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Next you'll be telling me its not even made from girders :scotland:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm wording this as gently as possible, but I'm afraid I have to be a little blunt to make the point:

Would you prefer your niece to be sad and behind the normal curve like every other child their age, or would you prefer them to be dead when the virus continues to mutate and move to younger targets?

It’s not that simple though is it? You’re just guessing based on zero evidence that COVID is going to mutate into a child killer, and totally discounting the developmental effects on kids - and no, all kids won’t be at the same level. Poor kids will have it worse. Kids without brothers or sisters will likely have it worse. Kids with busier parents and worse schools will have it worse. Schools obviously shouldn’t be open yet but acting like them being closed isn’t terrible, and like if they’re opened before there is no covid will result in a poster’s kid being dead, isn’t good posting, isn’t sensible, and isn’t comradely. You’re a better poster than that dude.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1354771767542296577

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

Presumably Barrs defend the gently caress out of the Irn Bru trademark (and also presumably the weird spelling is because "Iron Brew" was already genericised).

Actually I've always wondered about that, I can't think of any other soft drink - at least until Red Bull and imitators - that isn't an attempt to replicate another flavour, however indirectly - Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru, instead of like orange or cola nuts or ginger or whatever. I've always assumed that soft drinks do that because nobody wants to put out a drink where nobody knows what the hell it's supposed to taste like.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why is Johnson going to Scotland again? Wasn't his last trip there embarrassing enough?

I don't understand the logic of this Scotland trip at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Presumably Barrs defend the gently caress out of the Irn Bru trademark (and also presumably the weird spelling is because "Iron Brew" was already genericised).

Actually I've always wondered about that, I can't think of any other soft drink - at least until Red Bull and imitators - that isn't an attempt to replicate another flavour, however indirectly - Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru, instead of like orange or cola nuts or ginger or whatever. I've always assumed that soft drinks do that because nobody wants to put out a drink where nobody knows what the hell it's supposed to taste like.

I feel like Barr just stumbled across the taste of orange gold by accident with Irn Bru because all of their other soft drinks taste like weird supermarket own-brand versions of what they're supposed to be.

e: It's possible the cream soda is correct, because like all cream soda it tastes like someone vomited up Werther's Originals.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 28, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

I don't get what's wrong with that?

He's doing his thing of leaping in front of the crowd and yelling "Follow me! Keep going guys, great job!" just once he's sure exactly which way it was already going. Unless I've missed it, Starmer (and Labour on an official basis) was completely silent on the proposal to review workers' rights, which is pretty much top of the list of 'things Labour should be incredibly protective and vocal about.' And as LOTO it's literally his job to at least take the government to task over this, if not resolutely oppose it. And instead he's congratulating others for doing that for him while taking as much of the credit as he can.

He's so incredibly inept at the basic game of politics - which was supposed to be the one thing he was really good at.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

Why is Johnson going to Scotland again? Wasn't his last trip there embarrassing enough?

It's impossible to pass over the fact that Boris Johnson specifically is such an twat , but pretending for a moment it was a neutral Prime Minister I think the trip makes sense from a (unionist) political perspective as part of reemphasising that Scotland is part of the UK and not Nicola Sturgeon's personal fiefdom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's going to try to interfere with livestock and fail.

Moonwolf posted:

I have bad news Guava. This is too big, can you get it down to 10k?
Not without cutting a bunch of keefs out I don't think.

I'll try later, or wait until Jeffrey moves the forum settings away from 56k modem support.

Niric posted:

Next you'll be telling me its not even made from girders :scotland:
I think the ammonium ferric citrate that they originally used came from the photographic/cyanotype industry, which was a byproduct of the smelting industry.

A combination of Thatcherism and That Europe means there's no steel and they probably have to use food grade ingredients for food now :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like Barr just stumbled across the taste of orange gold by accident with Irn Bru because all of their other soft drinks taste like weird supermarket own-brand versions of what they're supposed to be.

e: It's possible the cream soda is correct, because like all cream soda it tastes like someone vomited up Werther's Originals.

I actually like the weird, slightly chemical taste of Barr's stuff - I'm fairly certain it's a deliberate thing they do because it's pretty consistent across their range (i.e. the lemonade tastes like lemon + taste x, the orangeade like orange + taste x, etc). Mind you that might just be that I grew up drinking Corona (the soft drinks made by Beechams, not the Spanish beer or the virus) which had that same weird taste.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

Their Limeade is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Flayer posted:

It's for the english audience at home, to show that England is always making attempts to make amends and build bridges but the Scots are always whining for some reason anyway.

It's also a neat way of showing Scotland that they don't get any say even over a pointless PR trip in a pandemic and the UK PM can just overrule and ride roughshod over their "devolved government".

The UK is not gonna give the Scots another indie ref but they do have to do some PR in the metropole to continue the whole "we are trying the Scots just complain anyway" narrative which I assume is gonna be their strat going forward.