Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Flayer posted:

Why is Johnson going to Scotland again? Wasn't his last trip there embarrassing enough?

I don't understand the logic of this Scotland trip at all.

it’s like when you’re at the end of a relationship but it’s still too awkward to really admit it, but you go through the motions of going round to their house even though you don’t really want to and know you’ll have an argument but on balance it’s worse than not going at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

BalloonFish posted:

He's doing his thing of leaping in front of the crowd and yelling "Follow me! Keep going guys, great job!" just once he's sure exactly which way it was already going. Unless I've missed it, Starmer (and Labour on an official basis) was completely silent on the proposal to review workers' rights, which is pretty much top of the list of 'things Labour should be incredibly protective and vocal about.' And as LOTO it's literally his job to at least take the government to task over this, if not resolutely oppose it. And instead he's congratulating others for doing that for him while taking as much of the credit as he can.

Nah Ed Miliband came out and said it was bad but Labour would only commit to defending the 48 hour week, so a step back from Corbynite policy of moving to a 4 day week and worse than the current average working week.

So not exactly silent but defending a worse situation than we have now as a good thing.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

big scary monsters posted:

I've never had an IQ test but I just tell everyone up front that I'm an idiot and they assume I'm joking and must actually be smart as hell. It's worked for years now.

my favourite thing IQ people do is when they say something like, "oh IQ tests are kind of nazi and sus" but it's also important for you to know that they have an IQ of 140 anyway. it's always 136 or 140 for some reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well who saw this coming lol

https://twitter.com/NafeezAhmed/status/1354777364232863744?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"hijacked"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually like the weird, slightly chemical taste of Barr's stuff - I'm fairly certain it's a deliberate thing they do because it's pretty consistent across their range (i.e. the lemonade tastes like lemon + taste x, the orangeade like orange + taste x, etc). Mind you that might just be that I grew up drinking Corona (the soft drinks made by Beechams, not the Spanish beer or the virus) which had that same weird taste.
I have a feeling we'll be having more soft drinks with industrial byproduct salts in them soon *winking John Redwood*

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's for the english audience at home, to show that England is always making attempts to make amends and build bridges but the Scots are always whining for some reason anyway.

It's also a neat way of showing Scotland that they don't get any say even over a pointless PR trip in a pandemic and the UK PM can just overrule and ride roughshod over their "devolved government".

The UK is not gonna give the Scots another indie ref but they do have to do some PR in the metropole to continue the whole "we are trying the Scots just complain anyway" narrative which I assume is gonna be their strat going forward.
Amazon US made a site where you can report unwanted union membership, it'd be a terrible shame if it got flooded with this kind of thing.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Nah Ed Miliband came out and said it was bad but Labour would only commit to defending the 48 hour week, so a step back from Corbynite policy of moving to a 4 day week and worse than the current average working week.

So not exactly silent but defending a worse situation than we have now as a good thing.

Oops. Well I completely missed that, so I'm going to blame Labour's PR abilites and/or the British media as a whole for failing to inform me....

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

British people love spitting on each other so much they imported a new style of music from NYC in the 70s and re-tooled it to be about gobbing

Ah I was sweet 16 then. I remember the refrain from that popular love song of the genre..
"Gonna uh uh gob on youuoo"

Seems it was Not the Nine O Clock news

https://youtu.be/CgmMYsjCCJ0

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2021

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm wording this as gently as possible, but I'm afraid I have to be a little blunt to make the point:

Would you prefer your niece to be sad and behind the normal curve like every other child their age, or would you prefer them to be dead when the virus continues to mutate and move to younger targets?

You should probably focus more on being correct than apologizing for tone. ‘A virus might mutate into something deadly to children’ is a fully general argument against ever reopening schools, or indeed ever allowing them to leave the house.

Are you really saying that the era when children went to school is now over, and all existing teachers should retrain to some other job? If not, what do you see as the end game?

It really is true that the government has hosed up so badly that there is no short term alternative to keeping schools closed. That’s on them. Nevertheless better things are possible.

Or at least would be, if we had a government that could pick one between incompetent and evil, rather than going for both.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

gh0stpinballa posted:

my favourite thing IQ people do is when they say something like, "oh IQ tests are kind of nazi and sus" but it's also important for you to know that they have an IQ of 140 anyway. it's always 136 or 140 for some reason.
Thinking of starting a Mensa competitor where you need to have an IQ of exactly 69.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually like the weird, slightly chemical taste of Barr's stuff - I'm fairly certain it's a deliberate thing they do because it's pretty consistent across their range (i.e. the lemonade tastes like lemon + taste x, the orangeade like orange + taste x, etc). Mind you that might just be that I grew up drinking Corona (the soft drinks made by Beechams, not the Spanish beer or the virus) which had that same weird taste.

What you're tasting there, and the reason it's so consistent across the Barr product line, is the creeping sense of existential disappointment that develops in anything which stays in Cumbernauld too long.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

gh0stpinballa posted:

If having a high IQ means you're smart, why do so many of them join Mensa, when that's objectively one of the dumbest things you can do, eh?

P.S. I have an IQ of 147. The internet told me so. :smug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Umbra Dubium posted:

If having a high IQ means you're smart, why do so many of them join Mensa, when that's objectively one of the dumbest things you can do, eh?

It's a great way to meet insufferable singles in your area.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i did actually like (and even prefer) barr cola tbh. but then the sugar tax came in and i had a suspicion that it either tasted different or whatever additive they did gave me mild headaches or something. i did not examine this closely because hey, an opportunity to stop myself drinking so much soda, sure whatever

big scary monsters posted:

Thinking of starting a Mensa competitor where you need to have an IQ of exactly 69.

this requires even better knowledge as one needs to know all the right answers to get the precisely correct number wrong okay you could probably just leave a bunch blank or whatever shush

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually I've always wondered about that, I can't think of any other soft drink - at least until Red Bull and imitators - that isn't an attempt to replicate another flavour, however indirectly - Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru, instead of like orange or cola nuts or ginger or whatever. I've always assumed that soft drinks do that because nobody wants to put out a drink where nobody knows what the hell it's supposed to taste like.

Dr Pepper?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Dr Pepper?

Tizer? I don't think that had a specified flavour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Bubblegum' has been a nebulous pile of esters attached more to the colour blue than anything else since about as long as bubblegum has existed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

this requires even better knowledge as one needs to know all the right answers to get the precisely correct number wrong okay you could probably just leave a bunch blank or whatever shush

I resent the false claim that our trademarked NiceQ® test could be defeated in this way, it is a highly scientific technique that precisely ascertains whether or not the IQ of participants is 69. Kindly withdraw your assertion or prepare to meet our team of NiceQ® certified QCs in Twitter court.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

who the gently caress is advising starmer that thinks any of this is good lol

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Who handled COVID response worse, the UK or US? This is a serious question, US has more deaths, but the UK has a worse rate? Both seem to be stumbling on the vaccine rollout?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These mobile advert splash screen games are getting more and more abstract.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Who handled COVID response worse, the UK or US? This is a serious question, US has more deaths, but the UK has a worse rate? Both seem to be stumbling on the vaccine rollout?

The US seem to have handled things badly due to a combination of incompetence and magical thinking, while the UK has screwed up through a combination of calculated evil and magical thinking. Both are probably equally as bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

What you're tasting there, and the reason it's so consistent across the Barr product line, is the creeping sense of existential disappointment that develops in anything which stays in Cumbernauld too long.

That would explain the similarity to Corona, developed in Wales and bottled on the Isle of Dogs in this factory:

(This is why we all drank Corona by the way - it was *amazing* how many bottles of it fell off the back of their lorries without breaking).

Incidentally that same factory also made what might be the most British foodstuff imaginable:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

The US seem to have handled things badly due to a combination of incompetence and magical thinking, while the UK has screwed up through a combination of calculated evil and magical thinking. Both are probably equally as bad.

The US also has the excuse that the federal government is relatively weak, making centralised and coordinated action much, much trickier than it is in the UK. The UK government *could* have implemented proper measures relatively easily had they the will and the competence.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

It’s not that simple though is it? You’re just guessing based on zero evidence that COVID is going to mutate into a child killer,
It already has.

https://news.yahoo.com/covid-wards-full-children-first-145710680.html

I want to make clear that this isn't a game of one-upmanship or a gotcha, and I take no satisfaction, grim or otherwise, in the newer strains moving to younger hosts.

Even if it's not killing many kids*, is a kid with long-tail covid going to have a better quality of life than a kid who missed a year of school?

It was made clear early in the pandemic that CV19 was a very stable strain that would burn itself out IF we locked down and all wore masks.

Unfortunately the conservatives continued their running streak of only hearing the half of the sentence they want to hear, and so the virus was given a chance to spread, mutate, and here we are.

* Which is still a hell of a sentence to type.

gh0stpinballa posted:

IQ tests are calibrated against the population of the person taking them, or are supposed to be. If you take a US based test the number comes out much, much higher. In US based tests (especially online), 140 is fairly easy to get as long as you have a bunch of number sequences and math concepts / tables memorised. 140 US scale is about equivalent to 120 UK scale (unless you're talking about MENSA, which might as well give you points based on how closely your family tree links to the Hapsburg bloodline).

Though to be fair this is because in the US the tests are largely administered by members of the public or educators and in the UK they are usually administered by diagnosticians specifically investigating a disparity in high IQ and academic performance. Also some of the US tests haven't been recalibrated in a looong time.

There are IQ tests that aren't nazi and sus, such as the ones used to investigate learning differences like dyslexia and dyscalculia. But you need training to administer them properly, and in the meantime there are hundreds of online copies of old IQ tests people can take on the toilet over and over until they finally get a high enough score they can repost to facebook.

Also pointing out you passed is so that the person making the claim won't just be accused of being bitter - "I aced the test and it's poo poo" sounds a lot more plausible than "I tanked the test so it's poo poo."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

To be fair the UK doesn't have a central government anymore either

in theory it works in much the same way as in theory a wizard will make good things happen and punish bad people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The secret to Boris's many children.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The more i see stuff like "covid mutating into virus to affect the young" the more inclined i am to believe it was man made in a lab

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Given that the modern UK conservatives are trying to copy the US conservatives grift, it would not surprise me if they were trying to break the UK back up into federalised regions so that they can straight up copy the whole 'don't step on me' states rights shtick.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The more i see stuff like "covid mutating into virus to affect the young" the more inclined i am to believe it was man made in a lab

I don't see how one conclusion in anyway supports the other, but then again I'm not an accredited Mensa member.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It already affects the young, they can contract and spread it, it just doesn't kill them. I don't think viruses specifically select for lethality unless it somehow increases communicability.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
AstraZeneca'a very bad week continues, with German health authorities denying usage of their vaccine in the over-65s. EMA will probably rule the same.

On the plus side, it might solve that supply crunch tho!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
To be fair to Samantha Cameron and the export issue they weren't Brexiters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They did back loving over the country and then holding a referendum on whether it was Europe's fault though, so lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lord of the Llamas posted:

To be fair to Samantha Cameron

I would simply not be fair to Samantha Cameron

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

To be fair the UK doesn't have a central government anymore either

in theory it works in much the same way as in theory a wizard will make good things happen and punish bad people

All the levers are still there - the Public Health acts and regulations, plus the emergency powers tacked onto them last February, give the central government more-or-less unlimited powers to combat the disease (at least in England and Wales, Scotland and NI have broadly similar powers and while I'm not so sure about Foster I'm pretty confident Sturgeon would have been more than happy to follow England's lead if only because it's a bit pointless to do anything England isn't doing).

This is the point I'm making - the powers are there, we could have done exactly what South Korea, Australia, et. al. did at the very start and saved 100k lives, or even just done the half-hearted poo poo we have done a month earlier and probably saved 50-75k, or even just not lifted lockdown in early December and saved at least 30k. You just need to look at the infections and deaths graphs to prove that we *do* have the power to prevent these deaths, the Tories just chose not to do so.

Conversely the US has no way of implementing even the relatively loose lockdown we're in at the moment, let alone the Chinese-style total lockdown, on a consistent nationwide level so were always going to be hosed. That's not to say they couldn't have kept their numbers much, much lower than they did, but the blame is spread around 50 state legislatures as well as the feds, you can't just point at one man and say "You could have stopped all of this and didn't".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The President could invoke the 1976 National Emergencies Act during a time of crisis, which would have provided for certain actions that could have slowed interstate transmission and also made the state governments more likely to take it seriously but :chaostrump:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think viruses specifically select for lethality unless it somehow increases communicability.

I suppose this might arguably happen in a proper lockdown, if severer cases go to hospitals and everyone else stays at home. (I know that's not what's been happening.)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
They should've enforced quarantine on air travel arrivals a long time ago. Every airport has plenty of airport hotels that could be used for the purposes and the food businesses could've been providing delivery meals for those under quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All the levers are still there - the Public Health acts and regulations, plus the emergency powers tacked onto them last February, give the central government more-or-less unlimited powers to combat the disease (at least in England and Wales, Scotland and NI have broadly similar powers and while I'm not so sure about Foster I'm pretty confident Sturgeon would have been more than happy to follow England's lead if only because it's a bit pointless to do anything England isn't doing).

This is the point I'm making - the powers are there, we could have done exactly what South Korea, Australia, et. al. did at the very start and saved 100k lives, or even just done the half-hearted poo poo we have done a month earlier and probably saved 50-75k, or even just not lifted lockdown in early December and saved at least 30k. You just need to look at the infections and deaths graphs to prove that we *do* have the power to prevent these deaths, the Tories just chose not to do so.

Conversely the US has no way of implementing even the relatively loose lockdown we're in at the moment, let alone the Chinese-style total lockdown, on a consistent nationwide level so were always going to be hosed. That's not to say they couldn't have kept their numbers much, much lower than they did, but the blame is spread around 50 state legislatures as well as the feds, you can't just point at one man and say "You could have stopped all of this and didn't".

I hadn't thought of this before - but given that the government over the past 10 years have been almost defined by a profound desire to avoid blame, would Johnson & Co. see shifting to a federal model for the UK a way of not having to carry the can now that they can't realistically blame things on the EU? Instead of the old method of blaming the level above them, they can devolve enough stuff down a level so that everything's the fault of the Scots/Welsh/Cornish/Mercians/Northumbrians instead. Especially if they continue the old trick of devolving responsibility but not means.