Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

but isn't Lego's Brick Link System or whatever it's called kind of what they're breaking copyright on since they're all the same dimensions and what-not? Or is the mere fact that "LEGO" isn't raised on each little peg different enough to not be an issue?

So, thing is, Lego actually stole the design of the bricks from Hillary Fisher Page after they bought some injection molding equipment and the supplier showed them a sample of what other people were doing with the equipment.

You can even see just how perfectly the Kiddicraft Brick it fits with modern Lego Bricks:

Ole Christiansen even copied duplo bricks 10 years after Hillary Fisher Page introduced them:

Since then Lego has innovated greatly, and their commitment to quality is superb. Their minifig is wonderful and iconic, and my perspective is that it’s a fortunate fluke of history for us all, just one that I think merits some acceptance that there are other knockoff bricks today just the same way that lego itself began as a knockoff.

The intellectual property theft of set designs is absolutely a huge issue though, but my moral ambiguity kicks in for long retired sets with ridiculous secondary markets, and even MOCs (so long as I can purchase instructions from the designer).

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Love the use of a minifig head mold as a pineapple in Barracuda.

(I pulled it out of the bag at a glance thinking it was the head I needed, only to realize it was some very strange printing for a head.)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

Gardens bag 11.

Using the angled hook to join the walls together was straight up rear end. There has to have been a better way to do that. Very difficult.

I did bag 11 last night, and yeah I struggled with that, too.

I had hosed it up by centering the arm vertically on the post. It's subtle in the instructions but the arm should be above the center in order to have enough freedom to swing to the angle needed to complete the connection of the walls.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Oxyclean posted:

Love the use of a minifig head mold as a pineapple in Barracuda.

(I pulled it out of the bag at a glance thinking it was the head I needed, only to realize it was some very strange printing for a head.)

I was like “surprise sea monster?? Oh.”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Setting a max price per item for every single item on the want list seems to be the only way around BLs ridiculous store suggestion algorithm

Yep, and it's not hard to do. If you just spend the time to do more than just add stuff to a list you can do a lot to alleviate the pain of greedy sellers.

____

Fav part of gardens so far is the spilled ice cream. I looked at it for a minute trying to figure out why there was a heart on the ground. Then it hit me.

Also, is gardens the most colorful set ever? I swear I've seen nearly all or close to all of the available colors already. Done with bag 13. Maybe some trans stuff hasn't shown up yet. But man, there are a LOT of colors. It's actually kind of hard to build at times because of trying to puzzle out what color I am supposed to grab. (for the reallly small pieces)

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 28, 2021

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep, and it's not hard to do. If you just spend the time to do more than just add stuff to a list you can do a lot to alleviate the pain of greedy sellers.

____

Fav part of gardens so far is the spilled ice cream. I looked at it for a minute trying to figure out why there was a heart on the ground. Then it hit me.

Also, is gardens the most colorful set ever? I swear I've seen nearly all or close to all of the available colors already. Done with bag 13. Maybe some trans stuff hasn't shown up yet. But man, there are a LOT of colors. It's actually kind of hard to build at times because of trying to puzzle out what color I am supposed to grab. (for the reallly small pieces)

Dark reddish brown and dark blue are almost impossible to tell apart in the manual for me with my lighting. I only just realized that black pieces get the edge lines printed in white which helped me know black from the other two at least.

Also tough: light bluish grey vs. one of the metallic silvers

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Metallic pieces have a little shine thing on them. But some of the light colors are just hard to make out, even under good light.

Someone a few posts up mentioned legos commitment to quality. I agree in part, but when it comes to instructions? Nope. They have long ways to go.

They badly badly need to hire more QA for these things. And a couple color blind people to go over every set so they can point out the issues that a significant percentage of the population have to deal with.

But beyond colors, more and more now I am seeing issues with the order of steps. It seems at least once or twice in every new set I see something where I think: this should have been done a couple steps ago to make this easier.

Shoddy QA.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I had a really hard time distinguishing the ivy leaf colors in the police modular, and they’re close enough that I’m not at all surprised it’s difficult to get across in the manuals.

I almost wish they had a Lego equivalent to the Pantone book or something, where each chip would have a plastic coating and a manual ink printing so I could match them up. I’d legit pay for it, especially if you could register your book to receive mailed “updates” for any newly minted colors.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Setting a max price per item for every single item on the want list seems to be the only way around BLs ridiculous store suggestion algorithm

This doesn't work either.

Sometimes you need to buy pieces at a higher than max price because the total cost would end up being higher if you had to go somewhere else to buy them.
This is probably more true here in europe, particularly for my country, as we need to pay import fees and VAT on everything. I've had multiple instances of buying pieces that are above my "max price" because i was already buying something from the same seller, so it would be cheaper to buy the pieces at the same time despite being above my max.

The only way to get good prices is to manually do everything.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

You can even see just how perfectly the Kiddicraft Brick it fits with modern Lego Bricks:

Image wasn't showing up due to bad cert lol. Just rehost them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Next Creator Car looks to be a Porsche 911:
https://brickset.com/article/57608/porsche-911-revealed!

150$ US, 200$ CAD. Feb 16th for VIP and March 1st for everyone else. (That feels sooner then I expected.)

At first glance I can't help but think it looks a bit small. I think I've been spoiled by modulars and the Bugatti.

e: Oh dang, cool, it has like, a sort of 2-in-1 thing where you can customize between a Targa and a Turbo?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 28, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's gonna be some really fun techniques in that one, from the stud inversion on the bumper to the angling of the quarter windows. The windshield kinda looks like rear end in that photo though.

Any color but white though. :negative:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

xzzy posted:

Any color but white though. :negative:

Yeah I’m sort of on the fence because it’ll fit neatly with the bus and the bug (wonder if you can switch engines like with the real cars lol) and the color is one reason I’m probably not gonna get it.

Shame they’re not doing a mini version of it as a GWP tho.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I like how rounded they've made the rockers and underside. I spy at least a couple significant new pieces, too. Not in love with the Targa's rear window being made of 4x of the 1 x 2 x 5 bricks.

edit: I know it's not the most adventurous color, but I do love it in white, too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

Yeah I’m sort of on the fence because it’ll fit neatly with the bus and the bug (wonder if you can switch engines like with the real cars lol) and the color is one reason I’m probably not gonna get it.

Cause there's already a mini version. :v:

What colour would work better? I felt not too crazy about the white, but it is kinda unique across the creator cars. Google searching it seems like silver is a common colour for the 911, but I dont think that'd be much better since it'd just have to be grey. The yellow ones look snazzy but I don't know if lego's yellow would do the job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green or blue would have looked really cool.

Dark azure would be the coolest blue to use but that doesn't match any factory paint color so is obviously off the table.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah that’s partially why I’m warming up to it a little now. The bus is red, the bug is blue, black is boring... dark green maybe? Yeah white is okay. Probably gonna sleep on it because I don’t care about this GWP like at all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Guards Red or Canary Yellow would've been my top choices, but I'll take it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
There’s also the Porsche challenge Speed Champions set which has a lime green 911

I have the little white one and I took the top off to make it more like an 88 Speedster. It’s one of the better SC cars imo

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah but if you're gonna do a yellow 911 then you've gotta make it the RUF CTR Yellowbird and okay yes sign me up for that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also love the engine detail. Woo air cooled!

davebo posted:

Yeah but if you're gonna do a yellow 911 then you've gotta make it the RUF CTR Yellowbird and okay yes sign me up for that.

I’m onboard with this if they could work out the licensing

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

The speed champions one might be what you want.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Jeez, just look at this monster of a curved, arched, rounded slope.

edit: given the shape of the cutout underneath, I'm actually far more inclined to believe this is a panel (possibly windscreen?) element.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego making limited use bricks like that but won't give us tile versions of wedges. C'mon Lego, do it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
They should have gone for orange or lime green, also the windshield is... suboptimal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Guards Red or Canary Yellow would've been my top choices, but I'll take it.
Yeah Guards Red would have been nice but I'm sure Ferrari would have something to say about it :v:

I had a white Targa poster back in high school, so this hits all the nostalgic buttons.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Olive green :colbert:

The big cars aren't my thing, but that's a very nice model.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Hopper posted:

They should have gone for orange or lime green, also the windshield is... suboptimal.

Ugh. No more orange cars after the big Porsche and Corvette. But agree about the windshield.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

a sexual elk posted:

Just finished Barracuda Bay and realized I have nowhere deep enough to put it, think I’m just going to convert it into the ship and let my kid play with the island piece. Fun as hell build, fingers haven’t been sore like this in awhile.

If you have 8-foot ceilings, it should fit on top of a 6-foot tall bookcase--I think the set is only 10 inches deep*; at least the base is at its deepest point. Though I'm personally of the opinion that if you're going to display it on top of one it works better as the pirate ship.

*Unless I'm remembering wrong and the bow section extends more than 2 inches behind the back of the base.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 28, 2021

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

If you have 8-foot ceilings, it should fit on top of a 6-foot tall bookcase--I think the set is only 10 inches deep*; at least the base is at its deepest point. Though I'm personally of the opinion that if you're going to display it on top of one it works better as the pirate ship.

*Unless I'm remembering wrong and the bow section extends more than 2 inches behind the back of the base.

Yeah all my deep shelving and tops have all my UCS start wars stuff and that big rear end Enterprise I got for $75. Rebuilt just the pirate ship and it’s totally respectable on its own, think I’m gonna cover the entire deck in storm troopers and bounty hunters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dark green would have been nice, as my mum had a 911 in that colour.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What’s the little grey thing in the first picture between the trap and the brick separator in the first picture? That question has been occupying too much space in my dumbass brain.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ghostbusters-ecto-1-10274

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Dr Christmas posted:

What’s the little grey thing in the first picture between the trap and the brick separator in the first picture? That question has been occupying too much space in my dumbass brain.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ghostbusters-ecto-1-10274

It’s unknowable just from looking, but it was a neat surprise as it was the last step: it’s a bag of StayPuft Marshmallows.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

parque bynch posted:

It’s unknowable just from looking, but it was a neat surprise as it was the last step: it’s a bag of StayPuft Marshmallows.

Yeah, I had to hit up the instructions to tell:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That’s cute. Good to know it wasn’t something I missed while pouring over the other photos and the description on the store page an unwarranted amount of times.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I feel like this was discussed not that long ago, but my attempts to find it in the digital oblivion haven’t been so successful :(

How do y’all display your minifigs?

Mine are currently scattered throughout my modulars, but I’ve long since run out of room and I’d rather just use my assortment of regular figs in there and have some sort of dedicated display for all the interesting series figs.

Found these shelves through a brickset article recommendation, but it’s a bit spendy and it makes me wonder what else might be good along those lines.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I use these display cases for minifigs, brickheadz and small sets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S9WHM5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the smaller one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H5VZNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 29, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OSU_Matthew posted:

I feel like this was discussed not that long ago, but my attempts to find it in the digital oblivion haven’t been so successful :(

How do y’all display your minifigs?

Mine are currently scattered throughout my modulars, but I’ve long since run out of room and I’d rather just use my assortment of regular figs in there and have some sort of dedicated display for all the interesting series figs.

Found these shelves through a brickset article recommendation, but it’s a bit spendy and it makes me wonder what else might be good along those lines.

https://www.technologist.site has some nice backgrounds.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That's a strange brown brick next to the shifter...does Lego usually use non-branded bricks for prototypes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Apparently, the review models sent to influencers all have unbranded bricks, just found this in a YouTube vid:

First time I see this. I assume it's to prevent them from selling/gifting them? (as IIRC they now no longer have to give them back after the review)