Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

"Wrongly acknowledged this requirement" what is that weak rear end language. He loving lied about being sick and he's dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well it was fun while it lasted, thread, but starting next year I'm going back to a regular 'ol office job so my life on the road is over for now. Right now I'm trying to decide on what to do with my Chase points. I currently have about $1.5k worth, so the redemption on travel is worth about $750 alone. The problem is hitting the $300 travel reimbursement is gonna be kind of tough with the whole global pandemic thing going on, but even if I don't use it I still come out ahead on the points redemption. Any ideas?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The problem is hitting the $300 travel reimbursement is gonna be kind of tough with the whole global pandemic thing going on, but even if I don't use it I still come out ahead on the points redemption. Any ideas?

They've expended the travel credit to pretty much everything you could imagine. Gas stations count now.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Also, you can burn Chase points at the travel portal bonus rate for your card for cash back against groceries purchased in the last 90 days with the “pay yourself back” feature.

Unless you’re planning on point transfers, it’s strictly better than redeeming the UR points towards travel - you get cash now, which you can spend on travel later if you want, and if you do spend it on travel you get to do direct bookings instead of Chasepedia and scrape another few percent in rewards off the transaction.

Even better, once the annual fee hits, if you burn off as many points as possible you’ll be in an better place to say “give me some retention goodies, or I walk.”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Motronic posted:

They've expended the travel credit to pretty much everything you could imagine. Gas stations count now.

Holy moly. I guess it makes sense since they need to incentivize hard to keep people on

Space Gopher posted:

Also, you can burn Chase points at the travel portal bonus rate for your card for cash back against groceries purchased in the last 90 days with the “pay yourself back” feature.

Unless you’re planning on point transfers, it’s strictly better than redeeming the UR points towards travel - you get cash now, which you can spend on travel later if you want, and if you do spend it on travel you get to do direct bookings instead of Chasepedia and scrape another few percent in rewards off the transaction.

Even better, once the annual fee hits, if you burn off as many points as possible you’ll be in an better place to say “give me some retention goodies, or I walk.”

Yeah I've been poking around on the point redemption site and stumbled on this. I can already knock off all the Grubhub orders I made in the past 3 months at 1.5x redemption. That's huge.

Ok maybe I'll hold on to this for a bit more

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Holy moly. I guess it makes sense since they need to incentivize hard to keep people on

It's been like that for as long as I've had the card.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As far as I can tell, they only expanded the travel credit to grocery and gas in June 2020. It was also supposed to end on Dec 31 but they extended it for six more months.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Even during pandemic, easy enough to hit it on ubers, tolls, car rental, etc. I pretty much hit the $300 credit within a few weeks.

edit: in retrospect, I guess that's a fairly big city-centric answer since probably lots of you live in places where you have your own car and rarely use taxis.

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 31, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone tried to schedule a global entry interview recently? Seems like some major sites (NYC, LA, etc) have open appointments pretty much within a week, while others aren't showing any availability. Thankfully looks like I've got until the end of December 2021.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Space Gopher posted:

Restaurants too, including doordash/grubhub. Chase is trying really hard to keep people on that card.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

Has anyone tried to schedule a global entry interview recently? Seems like some major sites (NYC, LA, etc) have open appointments pretty much within a week, while others aren't showing any availability. Thankfully looks like I've got until the end of December 2021.
Someone I spoke to in a medium-large city a couple months ago had one that was cancelled due to covid early in the year and they couldn't get one scheduled after that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They never did fully catch up to the backlog from the government shutdown a couple of years ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i think of demons posted:

Someone I spoke to in a medium-large city a couple months ago had one that was cancelled due to covid early in the year and they couldn't get one scheduled after that.

Yeah, I had one scheduled in LA earlier this year that ended up cancelled. I'm curious whether my local site (Philly) is doing them at all now.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Speaking of retentions on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I called in and said I was thinking of cancelling this year because I wasn't going to be traveling and asked if they had any retention offers and they threw me $250. Add that to the $300 travel credit and I'm coming ahead on the annual fee.

So it's definitely worth calling.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
First post-COVID flight booked. :toot:

It'll have been just under a year since my last pre-COVID flight.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I don't think we're anywhere close to calling this post-covid

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I don't think we're anywhere close to calling this post-covid

Look at this half glass empty guy. :v:

(Yeah 2021 is gonna be a mess still)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Detroit is pushing me hard to get it done, they evidently have a bunch of capacity.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Don't know if anyone is traveling for work or leisure presently, but the new administration is apparently looking into requiring a COVID test for domestic flights.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Don't know if anyone is traveling for work or leisure presently, but the new administration is apparently looking into requiring a COVID test for domestic flights.

The false positive rate on the rapid tests makes that a hilarious proposition.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Midjack posted:

The false positive rate on the rapid tests makes that a hilarious proposition.

Is it that high?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Is it that high?

Yeah. The exact rate depends on the prevalence of disease in the tested population and some of them are about as good as a coin toss. gently caress flying if there’s a 50/50 chance I have to turn around and lock myself in at home for two weeks instead. The other thing that can happen with known unreliable tests is true positives will retest until they pass with a false negative. It’ll be about as beneficial as what the TSA does so it’s guaranteed to happen!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Why would you use a rapid test? Just use a normal PCR test and get results in less than 24 hours. Require the test 48 or 72 hours prior to the flight like they do to Hawaii.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

asur posted:

Why would you use a rapid test? Just use a normal PCR test and get results in less than 24 hours. Require the test 48 or 72 hours prior to the flight like they do to Hawaii.

PCRs are backed up way more than 24 hours in a lot of places still.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, we're months away from having a reliable testing infrastructure that could support such a plan. Same with the vaccine, incidentally. poo poo ain't gonna get better (or "normal") for quite a while, despite what airline CEOs are saying to get people to start booking tickets again.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If the end result is less people flying until we can sort our poo poo out then I'm for it

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Quote from AA's CEO Doug Parker during the earnings call:

"We support international testing because that's about getting people comfortable crossing borders...I didn't say we weren't supportive of doing more domestic, but we'd want to make sure it doesn't restrict demand."

Fuckers.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There are all kinds of ways to accelerate pcr testing and returns that have been proposed for nearly a year (pooling, saliva instead of swab, university or industry pcr machines, defense production act, etc) but they didn’t maximize LabCorp revenues so they didn’t happen.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, we're months away from having a reliable testing infrastructure that could support such a plan. Same with the vaccine, incidentally. poo poo ain't gonna get better (or "normal") for quite a while, despite what airline CEOs are saying to get people to start booking tickets again.

"They're ready when we are".

I feel bad for anybody who has to travel for work or a family emergency or whatever right now because the only other people on the planes are people who were like "Yeah there is a pandemic but Cancun and Vegas are cheap as gently caress right now".

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Some rear end in a top hat smashed in my car window and stole my travel bag. Laptop, bank tokens, passport, whole loving thing. Broad daylight, middle of the day, with people around. I hate people.

So I'm in the market for a replacement travel bag. I was using a RedOxx ruck but my travel (when I can travel again that is) has become less "survive for a week out of your bag" and more "carry this bag through 3 airports". Anyone have opinions on the Tom Bihn bags? Or other suggestions? That RedOxx was heavy after a while, but I really like that it was basically indestructible.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

Some rear end in a top hat smashed in my car window and stole my travel bag. Laptop, bank tokens, passport, whole loving thing. Broad daylight, middle of the day, with people around. I hate people.

So I'm in the market for a replacement travel bag. I was using a RedOxx ruck but my travel (when I can travel again that is) has become less "survive for a week out of your bag" and more "carry this bag through 3 airports". Anyone have opinions on the Tom Bihn bags? Or other suggestions? That RedOxx was heavy after a while, but I really like that it was basically indestructible.

No bag recommendations (I use a backpack like a dork) but that sucks rear end, man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of AA, their regional operator PSA just had their entire CRJ fleet grounded for a problem with nose gear doors:https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/politics/psa-airlines-flights-canceled/index.html

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Speaking of AA, their regional operator PSA just had their entire CRJ fleet grounded for a problem with nose gear doors:https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/politics/psa-airlines-flights-canceled/index.html

I think it was in inspection requirement, no? It did delay a bunch of flights, but a few hours later there were some PSA flights in the air which suggests they completed the inspection and all was well on those particular aircraft.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1358555729288904707?s=20

I hope they do it and in all honestly they probably should at this point.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1358555729288904707?s=20

I hope they do it and in all honestly they probably should at this point.

I hope they give plenty of advance notice and ensure testing is readily available near all airports. Was not the case when we tried to get a family member to get one after traveling home recently.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Great for the market of fake pcr test results

Also had a friend who’s test results sat in UPS for 2 days and he had to reroute through Dallas to get rapid tested in the airport

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sellouts posted:

Great for the market of fake pcr test results

Yeah, it sounds like sometimes the only way you could get a test result in the required time frames would be the fake one.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Testing is a good idea for obvious reasons and I find it reprehensible how every airline CEO is saying this is a bad idea because it could further impact their bottom line.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

Testing is a good idea for obvious reasons and I find it reprehensible how every airline CEO is saying this is a bad idea because it could further impact their bottom line.

It's a great idea if there's readily accessible rapid testing at/near every airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Testing Theater, the sequel to 2001's Security Theater?