Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ah yes, George Kennan's Long Telegram, noted successful strategy document

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/28/china-foreign-policy-long-telegram-anonymous-463120

what is this lmfao

I love the tradition of telling the us gov exactly what they want to hear

Edit lol

TL;DR: America needs its own Xi Jinping?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/28/china-foreign-policy-long-telegram-anonymous-463120

what is this lmfao

Edit lol

code:
By ANONYMOUS

01/28/2021 08:15 AM EST

The author is a former senior government official with deep expertise and experience dealing with China.

I have a hunch Mr. Anonymous is on that 28 sanctioned list.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

All you have to do is divide up the communist party and oust Xi, and then the next leader to emerge will be our friend

Bing bong, so simple

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"There's so much secret dissent y'all don't even KNOW about" is my favorite foreign policy genre

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the silent majority strikes again

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

code:
By ANONYMOUS

The author is a former senior government official with deep expertise and experience dealing with China.

"Hello, my name... is Mr Oepmop. Yes, That'll work"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

code:
By ANONYMOUS

also lol the whole reason Kennan was X was because he was IN MOSCOW. A former official has no reason to hide their identity, unless it reveal they were a partisan hack

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

maybe this mr anonymous is actually xi jinping playing 5d chess

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
It’s the mypillow guy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

what is this lmfao

Edit lol
i love how this starts with the idea that kennan's long telegram was cool and not the foundation for mass murder. that's ideology for you

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

"Hello, my name... is Mr Oepmop. Yes, That'll work"
"hello, joe... i have a telegram for you..."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That said, it is interesting to think of the set of dominos that his telegram set in place. It set into place both an anti-Soviet containment strategy but also would likely be a factor in later Sino-US re-approach and continually focus on Soviet foreign policy against the Soviet Union. If Cold War started more from a position of detente rather than total hostility, China may have never industrialized as quickly as it did. The US by pushing so hard in one direction to crush the Soviets eventually recreated a secondary-effect where they became blindsided by China.

Now the hope is that everything can be fixed by taking Xi out the equation because DC finally figured out that Xi really isn't like his predecessor. The problem is a "series of red lines" are completely unenforceable and it is hard to see the rest of the CPC suddenly hoping to replace Xi for vague reasons. If China is going to be or is already the largest economy on earth, why play to the Americans in the first place? Moreover, how is the US going to enforce redlines when the PRC is gaining a military advantage in the region?

The article mentions that continual hostility toward the Russians is/was a bad idea (and it was), but no real recognition that this was simply containment taking a zombie-like form and essentially making American foreign policy impossible to manage.

It also directly connects to the Navalny issue since Biden is trying to push hard on it when in reality it is not going to be enough to take the Kremlin, but it is going to be enough to keep the Russians hostile. More over Nordstream 2 is continually under construction in a larger part because Merkel has made it clear that European (specifically German) priorities are going to supersede the needs of Washington. The Beltway only knows how to push and it is costing them.

In the end, nothing new but I wonder if Biden will actually come up with a new strategy at this point. I really doubt Iran is going to jump ship and if anything, the one move Biden has made (backing off from supporting the Saudis) doesn't really seem to have a clear goal in mind.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Jan 29, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
~i. am. your sing-ing tel-e-gram!~

~the single most important challenge facing the united states in the 21st century is the rise of an increasingly authoritarian china under president and general secretary xi jinpiiiiiiiing!~

:dance:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Biden is smart he should really drop the Nordstream issue and make up with Germany. The Germans have already made up their mind (and paid for their pipes), there is no amount of Navalny poisoning/"value difference" is going to make the Germans change their minds.

As for the "Xi is the bad seed" narative, it's so stupid it has to be planted by the Chinese intelligence. Let's see how many US think tanks will eat up this poo poo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Biden is smart he should really drop the Nordstream issue and make up with Germany. The Germans have already made up their mind (and paid for their pipes), there is no amount of Navalny poisoning/"value difference" is going to make the Germans change their minds.

The issue is it would require a sizable shift in American foreign policy where Germany ,and hence the EU, from a dependent entity to an equal. Also, letting Understream 2 happen will legitimately may hasten the Ukrainians to come to terms with the Kremlin, which would stall the US' "push to the east" strategy that has been going on since the fall of the Soviet Union. I agree it is costing a lot of influence, but there is a reason there is a ton of institutional resistance to the idea.

quote:

As for the "Xi is the bad seed" narative, it's so stupid it has to be planted by the Chinese intelligence. Let's see how many US think tanks will eat up this poo poo.

I mean let's be fair, "evil warlock" narratives still has a lot of pull in many Anglo-American circles including among leftists. That said unless there is a Krushchev/Gorbachev in the background, it isn't going to amount to much.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Jan 30, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why should the US continue push east ward in Eastern Europe, and cut into Russia's ever shrinking pie though? This position is so stupid in 2020.

Russia has only 150 mil population, that's same class of population as Japan, Brazil, Bangeldesh. Russia is heavily rely on the military industry for export, which is going down hill. Russia is no longer a global player, but a regional hegemon, Obama said it a few times. The US should have change track and lean toward Russia against China at least 10 years ago.

There was US think tank who argued the W admin should't expand NATO east ward beyond Poland to begin with. I wasn't paying attention to this stuff a few years ago so I don't remember his name. Could have been Mearsheimer. Anyway I agree with this opinion, US shouldn't make an long term enemy out of Russia post cold-war. Putin essentially is not very ideological and anti-US. Although you can still make an argument that the NATO expansion has some benefits, such as encourage Eastern bloc states joining EU and slow down the EU unification process; also plant bad blood between Russia and Georgia/Ukraine.

In the US/Russia/China triangulur power relationship, you obviously want to dissuade the other 2 players form an alliance. And you want to ally with the weaker of the 2 against the stronger one. You can't find any think tank in the US talk about about this. UK traditionally is much smarter at playing this geopolitic game.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why should the US continue push east ward in Eastern Europe, and cut into Russia's ever shrinking pie though? This position is so stupid in 2020.

Russia has only 150 mil population, that's same class of population as Japan, Brazil, Bangeldesh. Russia is heavily rely on the military industry for export, which is going down hill. Russia is no longer a global player, but a regional hegemon, Obama said it a few times. The US should have change track and lean toward Russia against China at least 10 years ago.

There was US think tank who argued the W admin should't expand NATO east ward beyond Poland to begin with. I wasn't paying attention to this stuff a few years ago so I don't remember his name. Could have been Mearsheimer. Anyway I agree with this opinion, US shouldn't make an long term enemy out of Russia post cold-war. Putin essentially is not very ideological and anti-US. Although you can still make an argument that the NATO expansion has some benefits, such as encourage Eastern bloc states joining EU and slow down the EU unification process; also plant bad blood between Russia and Georgia/Ukraine.

In the US/Russia/China triangulur power relationship, you obviously want to dissuade the other 2 players form an alliance. And you want to ally with the weaker of the 2 against the stronger one. You can't find any think tank in the US talk about about this. UK traditionally is much smarter at playing this geopolitic game.

-billy, age eight

THS
Sep 15, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

the answer is that the US is an insane beast high off its own propaganda. the leadership dictating this foreign policy is drawn from a shallow pool brought up under generations of american exceptionalism, still justified from a national myth of being the global good guys who liberated the world from the nazis in the name of freedom. every subsequent shock that america receives, like 9/11, diminishing influence among former allies, domestic unrest and loss of faith in institutions, and our total failures in iraq and afghanistan, only deepens the american mindset into a finger trap of struggling against material reality further, artificially shrinking any conceivable range of options to the ones which inevitably worsen the situation.

we have to maintain global hegemony because we are good and just, and the rest of the world is either actively evil, naive and taking advantage of our beneficence, or third world incompetent filth. you want to try to understand what is happening rationally, but really america is a shambling, bloated corpse incapable of viewing the world through anything but a hubris encrusted lens.

all these ridiculous positions, which obviously only harm the US’ credibility in the long run, are held by decision makers who truly believe themselves to be non-ideological, and only a truly deluded elite can fail to see the intentional structures created by their predecessors as somehow natural and technocratic

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/partisan_161/status/1355236133467205635

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

Russia isn't just russia, its the former USSR, and its got the missiles to prove it.

Most of the geopolitical stuff the US has been involved in since the wall came down has either been resource looting, or destabilizing regions that are not yet available to be looted. They "won" the cold war and they have what to show for it? Shock doctrine Russia and multiple failed* military projects to maintain the petrodollar? American adventurism was in the process of more or less winding down under Obama, they were securing what they already had. Trump let a lot of that global power poo poo slide cos he'd rather try and murder people at home. Where does that leave the biden admin? Well, I wouldn't put it past them to try a new military adventure, this would be unlikely to get broad support at home. I'd imagine it'll be sabre rattling at worst for the next couple of years. America is broken and its falling to the democrats to do triage but I don't think they realise that yet.

*Not completely, they've kept the oil supply controlled, they have served to maintain combat readiness in the armed forces and moved a lot of public money into the right pockets. They also keep Israel and the gulf states happy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Obama was conclusively wrong about Russia being simply a "regional power" and the Russians have clearly shown they have power projection outside the former USSR. It feeds back into the larger issue that the US' made grave strategic mistakes in a larger part because it would have to mean some sort of compromise or admission of weakness with a competitor.

Russia itself is neither the Soviet Union nor a regional power little sway, but we simply couldn't meet them on equal terms.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

-billy, age eight
i've played many civ games. i know how this works and i can confirm they're right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's probably safer to say they USA doesn't have a cohesive geopolitical strategy. The various presidents and political parties/institutions just do whatever would provide them with short term gains. A lot of it is driven by the prevailing ideology which is probably the only thing that's really keepings the empire together still.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

american empire was at its apex in the era of good feelings in congress. both parties are lurching husks and can't coordinate on anything outside the border

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

It's probably safer to say they USA doesn't have a cohesive geopolitical strategy. The various presidents and political parties/institutions just do whatever would provide them with short term gains. A lot of it is driven by the prevailing ideology which is probably the only thing that's really keepings the empire together still.

More like the US does what ever the short term special interests demand would be a good idea for their shareholder value.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

american empire was at its apex in the era of good feelings in congress. both parties are lurching husks and can't coordinate on anything outside the border

They all clap for the Guidoman.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

They all clap for the Guidoman.

another sign the US is either less powerful or more hesitant to take action holding up its idea of the international order it wants. honduras and bolivia were fairly easy targets compared to chile and iran

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

TL;DR: America needs its own Xi Jinping?

Lmao at all the bits in the article trying to spin the story about divisions in China's political system and society.

Projection much?

Also Comrade Xi turning wealth accumulation in a "Battle Royale" concept was a hilarious idea, get too much money and get fast tracked to a special list!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

"There's so much secret dissent y'all don't even KNOW about" is my favorite foreign policy genre

unlike our country which doesnt count because the dissenters are racist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1355149986158309379

bidens team must be furious that china only came up with this after theyd already decided their public relations strategy was going to be the gamestop traders are racist

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the American empire was at its apex when their were only 20 state, I agree. California and Texas joining the union was when things started going downhill.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lostconfused posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if historians attribute the downfall of liberal democracy to it's inability to plan ahead past election cycles

The only American institutions that are somewhat competent are also the ones that are completely cut off from the electoral system. Like the military and alphabet agencies.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I've always felt that having these grand elections where congress. senators, and the president elected at once is incredibly stupid. I recall that back in the day, house elections were staggered amongst states. That at least woudn't lead to the whiplash in adminstrative goals that the US currently suffers from.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ToxicAcne posted:

I've always felt that having these grand elections where congress. senators, and the president elected at once is incredibly stupid. I recall that back in the day, house elections were staggered amongst states. That at least woudn't lead to the whiplash in adminstrative goals that the US currently suffers from.

staggering elections is a conservative plan to drive down turnout

PawParole posted:

the American empire was at its apex when their were only 20 state, I agree. California and Texas joining the union was when things started going downhill.
I was using that phrase as a deliberate throwback!!

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitter.com/RotUndRev/status/1290741294713786372?s=20

hate when libertarians are so right but yeah

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

staggering elections is a conservative plan to drive down turnout

Yeah that is a huge drawback.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

There is a CCTV show called 军事大家谈 (Military chit chat ) going back for 10+ years, its got terrible production value and its just three military historians sit down and talk about specific military topics or regions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW1FZd19y_uQUT87zi0PIQ/videos

They covered the topic of Afghanistan a few times. They mentioned that, I think was this was when Obama was still the president, the reason US was not leaving Afghanistan was that they couldn't let china and Iran do infrastructure development in Afghanistan to build railroad and roads to connect to Iran and Pakistan. Once these road were built, the regional growth would develop very fast.

I mean the Chinese know about this. China and US were partners during the Soviet-Afghan war. There are always strategists in both sides of Pacific who subscribe to Mackinder's Heartland theory. "He who rule the center of Eurasia rules the Heartland, and commands the World Island."

This bald guy (I wish I can listen to the whole talk) explained the original motivations of George W's gang's grand plan of going into Iraq and Afghanistan very well. This is the geopolitical reason, trying to plant permanent military bases right near the soft underbellies of Russia and China, while having more control of petroleum price, all at the same time. It was a very beautiful plan indeed.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Chomskyan posted:

All you have to do is divide up the communist party and oust Xi, and then the next leader to emerge will be our friend

Bing bong, so simple

you get a regime change and you get a regime change and you and you and you!

EVERYONE GETS A RGEIME CHANGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is a CCTV show called 军事大家谈 (Military chit chat ) going back for 10+ years, its got terrible production value and its just three military historians sit down and talk about specific military topics or regions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW1FZd19y_uQUT87zi0PIQ/videos

They covered the topic of Afghanistan a few times. They mentioned that, I think was this was when Obama was still the president, the reason US was not leaving Afghanistan was that they couldn't let china and Iran do infrastructure development in Afghanistan to build railroad and roads to connect to Iran and Pakistan. Once these road were built, the regional growth would develop very fast.

I mean the Chinese know about this. China and US were partners during the Soviet-Afghan war. There are always strategists in both sides of Pacific who subscribe to Mackinder's Heartland theory. "He who rule the center of Eurasia rules the Heartland, and commands the World Island."

This bald guy (I wish I can listen to the whole talk) explained the original motivations of George W's gang's grand plan of going into Iraq and Afghanistan very well. This is the geopolitical reason, trying to plant permanent military bases right near the soft underbellies of Russia and China, while having more control of petroleum price, all at the same time. It was a very beautiful plan indeed.

Granted, a strategic partnership with the Russians seems to have solved the issue by opening up former Soviet Central Asia for infrastructure development (especially Turkmenistan) allowing relatively easy access to Iran. Also there is at least one major corridor linking Pakistan and China directly. Honestly, maybe the US did China a favor by forcing them to work around Afganistan in the first place.

As for the "heartland" theory, it is probably true and arguably may have already happened.