Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They showed illustrations of some of the changes and it's totally fine. It's still goofy poo poo but no more savage native people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
This sounds like a case for my favorite DisTwitter subset, the "Walt was a perfect specimen of humanity and I hate every attraction produced after 1990" crew.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

No Rock animatronic?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fartington Butts posted:

No Rock animatronic?

I’m sure they’ll consider it if the movie is a smash hit and becomes a successful IP like POTC.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah this is also absolutely a pit of prep work in case the movie is the next Pirates series

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

IMO The movie integration for Pirates had two good results: The wild-rear end Barbossa animatronic at Paris and the Shanghai pirates ride that is entirely based on the movie. I wouldn't poop on it if the movie is good enough that it spawns changes to the ride. At least it doesn't involve Johnny Depp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZgYzs0B00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVx9_HGWbs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfzkdtxr4Q

Mario Kart footage. Filmed through the AR goggles. All the characters/shells are not actually there. Bananas!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfzkdtxr4Q

Mario Kart footage. Filmed through the AR goggles. All the characters/shells are not actually there. Bananas!!!

So they coulda just used those old make-your-own-coaster things and let you pew pew shells at poo poo like toy story mania way cheaper, from the look of it?

I'm assuming it's way cooler in real life.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looks a lot like Toy Story Mania.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah there's definitely an entire track. It's a massive building. A lot of it just appears to be overlayed with the AR

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The ride is never going to film well, because it’s reliant on the 3D effects from the AR glasses interacting with the physical sets. A static, 2d POV video isn’t going to capture it well, in the same way that videos of proper VR always undersell even the simplest experiences.

Of course, if it’s just replacing some sets/big screens with small screens attached to your face, then yes the tech is not well used and this could’ve been the Ninjago/Spider-Man ride system. I’m not super optimistic the tech is going to be that mind blowing, but that doesn’t mean the ride couldn’t still be really great.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I mean, when it comes down to it, FoP is even less than that and still attracts a ton of riders and praise.

I think it's a bit early to knock it, and this is coming from someone who poopoo-ed the idea of this ride early on.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well, just finished our Disney trip and some thoughts on my first trip on 2 years:

1. They aren't playing around with Covid. I saw way more mask compliance there then I've seen anywhere else. I didn't see any masks off unless people were eating. People weren't doing the half rear end cover either. Plus the hand sanitizer hands free dispensers were everywhere. I mean hundreds of gallons had to be used every day easily. There were warnings everywhere to keep your masks on.

2. Not having fastpass definitely brought me back to the old days of amusement parks. But it actually wasn't bad. The biggest issue was that some lines were long and doubled back on themselves (and had six foot marks everywhere) but they moved really quickly. The posted wait times were a bit inflated. Mine Train had a 60 minute wait time but it only took around 30, for example.

3. Food options were more limited than normal at all the parks.

4. The Skyliners are cool as hell and I wish they built them for all the parks and hotels. Quick, efficient, and fun, as opposed to...

5. The bus system is crap, especially at Caribbean Beach. The Skyliner was down to Hollywood Studios on the day we went so we had to use the bus. They are trying to keep people separate with partitions and less riders which is good. Sending one bus every 40-60 minutes is bad. It took us 40 minutes for a bus to pick us up from HS to Caribbean Beach, and it took us 6 minutes to drive there once we were on. So where were those buses???? One night it took us 60 minutes to get a bus to Disney Springs because the first bus filled, the second bus only had two slots and the third bus finally was mostly empty.

The first time I used the bus system in 2012 I loved it. And it's still great in theory, but Disney or whoever runs the buses are stingy with their use. It says that it should have a bus every 20 minutes but that ain't true. Especially with Covid, they should run more buses to offset the precautions taken.

6. Three new rides for me: Smuggler's Run, Rise of the Resistance, and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. And I honestly can say that my favorite of the three was Runaway Railway, but I'm a sucker for Mickey cartoons. RotR was an amazing technological experience though. I can also see why people like playing the pilot on Smuggler's Run, that felt like I was flying more than any other park simulation.

7. With the crowd restrictions, you could get an amazing amount of rides done even without fastpass if you got there early. We rode Slinky Dog twice back to back in 10 minutes when the park opened up. Rode Slinky twice, Alien, and Toy Story Mania in 36 minutes combined. Rode Barnstormer three straight times without having to get off the coaster. Dumbo twice. Space Mountain, Soarin, Splash Mountain, Thunder Railroad, all 5-20 minute waits at various times.

8. Looking forward to Tron when it's built. Looking good so far.

9. The one minute parades are great and should replace the normal 30 minute long ones.

10. No fireworks was a bit of a bummer but completely understandable.

Definitely a different experience than normal. I wouldn't recommend it as a first Disney trip while the restrictions are in place because there are significant changes. But if you don't care about meet and greets, a more limited meal selection, and no fastpasses, it's definitely doable.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Thanks for all that info! Man I really wanna go on Runaway Railway and I hope the Toontown one is coming along.

When you say food options are more limited can you give any examples from places that aren't Epcot? My Disney youtube people watching has gone way down so I haven't been following along.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fartington Butts posted:

Thanks for all that info! Man I really wanna go on Runaway Railway and I hope the Toontown one is coming along.

When you say food options are more limited can you give any examples from places that aren't Epcot? My Disney youtube people watching has gone way down so I haven't been following along.

Besides Epcot, the pizza place in Animal Kingdom (Pizzafari?) was closed. Noticed that Casey's in MK and Tortuga Tavern were closed. I'm sure there were more, but that's mainly what I mean. There are still places to eat, but the number of in-park options are down.

One thing I noticed is that they're pushing a lot of mobile ordering. When we wanted to eat at Cosmic Ray's for a quick burger, you couldn't go inside and sit down until you had placed an order AND the order was ready to be picked up. It was like that at the resort, too. You couldn't just go sit in the food area. You had to have an order placed and ready before they'd let you in.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Silly Burrito posted:

Besides Epcot, the pizza place in Animal Kingdom (Pizzafari?) was closed. Noticed that Casey's in MK and Tortuga Tavern were closed. I'm sure there were more, but that's mainly what I mean. There are still places to eat, but the number of in-park options are down.

One thing I noticed is that they're pushing a lot of mobile ordering. When we wanted to eat at Cosmic Ray's for a quick burger, you couldn't go inside and sit down until you had placed an order AND the order was ready to be picked up. It was like that at the resort, too. You couldn't just go sit in the food area. You had to have an order placed and ready before they'd let you in.

I think I've only ever seen Tortuga Tavern open once.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah it’s typically open seasonally.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario kart looks awesome really puts the runaway railway projections to shame

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

you're not even trying now

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come on bottom liner you gotta hand it to universal they've knocked it out of the park ever since fast and furious

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

you're not even trying now

:yeah:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
mario kart looks like trash in that vid but i’ll give it the benefit of the doubt till reviews come out

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The Yoshi ride looks way more fun.

Mario Kart reminds me of Smugglers Run.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I wonder if Disney will counter Mario World with a Wreck-It-Ralph ride that includes Pac-Man, QBert, Tapper, etc.

Here's a question for you die hard Disneyers...would you prefer new rides if it means they had to either remove old ones or update them? As an example, I remember when the old Snow White ride was going to be torn down, there was an outcry. However IMO, the replacement Mine Train ride was so much better.

With all the new IP that Disney owns, personally I think they should revamp a lot of the older rides. I rode Splash Mountain for the first time in FL ever, and I just couldn't help but think: Who cares about Brer Rabbit in this day and age? Someone did tell me that they're updating that for The Princess and the Frog, and that sounds ok. The Frozen revamp of Maelstrom worked for me.

Not even including their Marvel IP, they could:

1. Change Philharmagic to a new cartoon with the new Mickey style, or have multiple different shows throughout the day.

2. Turn Tomorrowland Speedracers into a Cars ride. (Or a Star Wars pod racer type ride)

3. Update Carousel of Progress to 2050.

4. Change Peter Pan to something else. Rip off the Harry Potter ride if you have to keep Peter Pan, or make it an Up! ride.

5. Update Spaceship Earth past the Steve Jobs era.

I debated with Braksgirl on this. My position is that each park should have a new or updated ride every 12-18 months to keep things fresh. I know that there are die hard fans of each ride but some rides need to be revamped.

And if Disney could use all of the MCU in Florida, whoo boy could they have some cool stuff.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I wonder if Disney will counter Mario World with a Wreck-It-Ralph ride that includes Pac-Man, QBert, Tapper, etc.

Here's a question for you die hard Disneyers...would you prefer new rides if it means they had to either remove old ones or update them? As an example, I remember when the old Snow White ride was going to be torn down, there was an outcry. However IMO, the replacement Mine Train ride was so much better.

With all the new IP that Disney owns, personally I think they should revamp a lot of the older rides. I rode Splash Mountain for the first time in FL ever, and I just couldn't help but think: Who cares about Brer Rabbit in this day and age? Someone did tell me that they're updating that for The Princess and the Frog, and that sounds ok. The Frozen revamp of Maelstrom worked for me.

1. Change Philharmagic to a new cartoon with the new Mickey style, or have multiple different shows throughout the day.

2. Turn Tomorrowland Speedracers into a Cars ride. (Or a Star Wars pod racer type ride)

4. Change Peter Pan to something else. Rip off the Harry Potter ride if you have to keep Peter Pan, or make it an Up! ride.

I debated with Braksgirl on this. My position is that each park should have a new or updated ride every 12-18 months to keep things fresh. I know that there are die hard fans of each ride but some rides need to be revamped.

And if Disney could use all of the MCU in Florida, whoo boy could they have some cool stuff.

It really depends for me, RE new rides and replacing old and classic rides. For example, Maelstrom actually had direct input from Norway in matching the ride to their folklore and being a meaningful but fun ride in a part of Epcot supposedly meant to actually focus on real (or as real as Disney can get) heritage. And it was then just masked over with Frozen IP as a cash grab without meaningfully updating the ride.

Likewise, ToT has been my favorite ride of all time since I was 5, and I’ll be very sad if they ever replace the theming or change the ride. But eventually they will and objectively it should be updated at some point, but hopefully by something that actually deserves to be the replacement and not cheap use of IP.

On the flip side, you have the Mickey and Minnie ride that replaced Great Movie Ride - a well liked classic by Disney fans that deserved more fixing over the years. And yet the replacement is absolutely loved because Disney actually put real love into it.

And even with all of that, I would love a higher focus on new ideas over IP in the parks when it comes to new rides. Disney’s best ideas and attractions historically are the original ideas instead of the use of IP. Use of IP is a toss up if it ends up being a great ride or cheap use of IP.

TLDR: don’t make cheap replacements, especially if it’s just a lovely excuse to shove in some IP, and instead put real love into rides and update or change them when actually needed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

1. I really like philharmagic but I'd like to see something new in the building. I don't like the new Mickey style much because poor Goofy looks like an alcoholic or like he's got liver flukes or some poo poo. I'd be cool with a temporary show thing until they worked out something cool. Maybe a Brave show? Or Tangled? They both get a ton of attention and just have meet-ups. But as the IPs are aging, ehhh.

2. Sugar Rush, not Cars.

3. 2100 in my opinion. Something none of us will ever see.

4. Up! doesn't feel right for fantasyland. You could make a hell of a Hunchback ride there, though. Or a Hercules Pegasus flight. It'd also be one gorgeous place to do a Tangled ride with the lanterns but I dunno if it'd go over. We haven't really had a fantasyland-type newer-ish IP for a while. Frozen, sure, but Frozen already has a ride. If park-oriented original IPs weren't out of style, I'd say come up with something new and magical.

5. Yeah, for sure.

6. My addition is please put anything wall-e in tomorrowland. please.

Every year to 18 months is too often for a park that's set up like MK, but something every 24-48 months would be way fine. Especially considering all the screens they're using. It's not that hard to make alternate videos and programs and stuff like that for extra experiences.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Nottherealaborn posted:

Likewise, ToT has been my favorite ride of all time since I was 5, and I’ll be very sad if they ever replace the theming or change the ride. But eventually they will and objectively it should be updated at some point, but hopefully by something that actually deserves to be the replacement and not cheap use of IP.

Mission Breakout is so good. It is so much better than ToT. I would ride Mission Breakout 10 times in a row if they would let me. Then go have lunch and come back and ride it 10 times in a row again. They should add more songs (honestly they should replace some of the more meh songs cause some of them really work and some don't). And do a Christmas overlay in addition to the Halloween Monsters After Dark overlap. I hope they film more footage and add more scenes.

I am so happy they replaced ToT in DCA.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

BlueBayou posted:

Mission Breakout is so good. It is so much better than ToT. I would ride Mission Breakout 10 times in a row if they would let me. Then go have lunch and come back and ride it 10 times in a row again. They should add more songs (honestly they should replace some of the more meh songs cause some of them really work and some don't). And do a Christmas overlay in addition to the Halloween Monsters After Dark overlap. I hope they film more footage and add more scenes.

I am so happy they replaced ToT in DCA.

I will say, I have only heard great things about Mission Breakout and am excited to ride it in the future. But I’m still happy they still kept ToT in WDW.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Throw the dumb cars outta tomorrowland, take the orbiter with it, make tommorow land like at least as cool as space mountain.
Also I can fit like three rides in the space mountain exit hall

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I agree, it's time to update Carousel of Progress. I have VR headsets, an oven that can connect to the internet for some reason, and computers I can talk to that can connect to the oven. I'm living that Carousel of Progress life. I need something new to aspire to.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think the problem is that any speculative sci fi future is going to look like something out of a William Gibson novel.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coasterphreak posted:

I think the problem is that any speculative sci fi future is going to look like something out of a William Gibson novel.

How friendly can you make a Disney singularity?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Coasterphreak posted:

I mean, doesn't that make someone coming up with something a bit more positive that much more thrilling?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Coasterphreak posted:

do one based on gabe newell inventing the remote control from Click

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chainclaw posted:

I agree, it's time to update Carousel of Progress. I have VR headsets, an oven that can connect to the internet for some reason, and computers I can talk to that can connect to the oven. I'm living that Carousel of Progress life. I need something new to aspire to.

Actually, get rid of one of the earlier time periods and keep that one (and add a 2050/2100/2500 one). You just need to add phones for all the animatronics to look at constantly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

"Uncle Orville was filmed going on a racist rant after being told to wear a mask at the store. Then Twitter doxxed him!"

"There's no privacy!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

if they ever harm a fake hair on Rover I will burn down the building.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
welp

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1354915067964383232?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

if they ever harm a fake hair on Rover I will burn down the building.

You've got my torch.

I would love for there to be a way to restore classic CoP and also have a more futuristic CoP. And I know we had Horizons, but it's dead now. It's dead. It's deaaadddd