Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Playing with biters disabled entirely has made my save a good playground for testing dumb train stuff. Working on all train-supplied production outposts, with bots handling finicky logistics where a train is impractical.

I've gotten as far on the outpost side as "starting the green circuit outpost and not being totally sure how to handle loading them yet". Hard to unload into the existing base, don't have infrastructure to use them in rail outposts yet, no idea how the hell to get all the various components that need distributed production onto a mall for the little stuff. We'll see I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

As much as I love trains in Factorio I'd get so discouraged when I'd come to my main base and see that it was out of iron or copper that I wouldn't be "yeah I get to build trains woo!!" I'd just be sad and it put me off playing the game. Fortunately I've muscled through to launch my first rocket so now I'm in a wonderland of infinite ores and other mods.

If you're a real Factoriohead, your initial patches won't be enough to feed the machine even with infinite depth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you're a real Factoriohead, your initial patches won't be enough to feed the machine even with infinite depth.

Yeah, starting patch tops out at like 3 or 4 lanes of ore. That is a tiny baby amount for tiny baby factories call me when you have a 12 to 12 balancer being fed by multiple outpost small baby man.

Go home and be a boxfed man

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Less Fat Luke posted:

It is nice it gives you that option. The only big downside to me is that trains are very very cool and there's less incentive to use them with infinite resources (until your factory gets super huge of course!)

I feel like this is covered by having smaller deposits so throughput becomes an issue earlier.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally hit stable in Endzone, with research and expeditions up, a massive stockpile of resources, and an Advanced School helping a fuckload with boosting resource generation and equipment longevity. I feel like I'm in a weird spot where I can afford to run a labour surplus, except I don't really see a reason why I want to expand my population more considering that that would gently caress with my resource balance, most of that surplus would end up working to maintain themselves anyway, and AFAIK I won't really gain anything new with having more people in the community. Oh well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want biters with pressure, but manageable, I find the best thing to do is roll your map until you start on a peninsula, that gives you an easily defendable core base to get started with and then you just have to push out at your own pace.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, yes, but now I can expand without my initial base collapsing due to no ore. I get trains AND no stress, it's the best combo!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I really love that Factorio is so, I guess accessible is the word? Like biters on/off, no expansion, peaceful mode, ore patch sizes, depth, spread, and everything is all very customizable and all of them result in a great gameplay experience. And then it's of course wildly moddable. The dev team did a bang up job on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

toasterwarrior posted:

Finally hit stable in Endzone, with research and expeditions up, a massive stockpile of resources, and an Advanced School helping a fuckload with boosting resource generation and equipment longevity. I feel like I'm in a weird spot where I can afford to run a labour surplus, except I don't really see a reason why I want to expand my population more considering that that would gently caress with my resource balance, most of that surplus would end up working to maintain themselves anyway, and AFAIK I won't really gain anything new with having more people in the community. Oh well.

There was a recent significant patch? You think it's worth buying now? I was discouraged from it earlier.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1354819142755340293?s=19

I hope this game is good

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fun fact: the guy who owns Rebellion (they made the Sniper series of games, too) has an amazing YouTube channel that details life in Medieval Europe. Super interesting stuff, and it's cool to see behind the curtain.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 28, 2021

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Im glad they took the racist stereotype out if the genius options.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like a near copy of the original, which was almost a great game (good, but flawed) so if they were able to look critically at and fix the things which were broken and bad in the original then it should be a layup

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Please dear god let us easily dispose of bodies permenantly, I am begging you :pray:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qubee posted:

Fun fact: the guy who owns Rebellion (they made the Sniper series of games, too) has an amazing YouTube channel that details life in Medieval Europe. Super interesting stuff, and it's cool to see behind the curtain.

What the gently caress lol I didn't know that guy owned rebellion.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShootaBoy posted:

Please dear god let us easily dispose of bodies permenantly, I am begging you :pray:

You already can, you just need a big enough freezer.

I also recall being able to incinerate the bodies somehow, although that was probably a kludge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Qubee posted:

My favourite Rebellion fact is they wanted to make a Judge Dredd game, Be realized it would be simpler too just buy the whole company!
They then proceeded to turn 2000AD around.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Looks like Academia got its 1.0 release. Is it worth the ten quid? Much fun to be had?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

HopperUK posted:

Looks like Academia got its 1.0 release. Is it worth the ten quid? Much fun to be had?

Which game is this? All I can see is something from 2017

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Which game is this? All I can see is something from 2017

That school simulator just went 1.0 didn't it? Steam's been bugging me about it but maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. Anyone played it either way?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mayveena posted:

There was a recent significant patch? You think it's worth buying now? I was discouraged from it earlier.

Hah, I was about to write out my brief impressions and then they straight up come out with the final EA update today. Anyway, I can't really give you that detailed of an impression because when I bought into the game a week or two ago, they had updated in December last with the research tree update. This current update adds more meat to expeditions, an extra layer to tool and clothing production, and a bunch of decorative items, but all in all I think this is pretty much it for Endzone until DLC.

Regarding the game itself, my experience is intense, saving-every-season population management before I can get a school set up in order to finally get people to not deplete their equipment stupidly fast, usually stopping around Season 50 or so. Is it fun? Honestly yeah, but after that I feel like I'm meandering a bit instead of really being driven to expand my population further and building around the map. I suppose scrap depletion and the new expedition content will help in that regard. I daresay some people may find it a bit content thin, tho.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So the Space Haven updates have taken a turn from the pixel Santa hats before christmas. They are very hype for their enslavement mechanics they've been cooking up over holiday break and look to achieve a Kenshi lite level of enslavement complexity.

I'm gonna skip out this patch cycle.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzw0mJHREY

Yeah March is shaping up to be a management-head's wet dream.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone else play project hospital still. I hadnt touched it in a year, but looks like they added some new departments that look fun to mess with.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzw0mJHREY

Yeah March is shaping up to be a management-head's wet dream.

i played the demo for this a lot, it's... ok. definitely feels like startopia, but a bit sluggish. kinda eurojanky. but recognizably startopia, with a little new stuff on top

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 29, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KirbyKhan posted:

So the Space Haven updates have taken a turn from the pixel Santa hats before christmas. They are very hype for their enslavement mechanics they've been cooking up over holiday break and look to achieve a Kenshi lite level of enslavement complexity.

I'm gonna skip out this patch cycle.

That could be good but I do not trust the modding scene with this at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The devs of the new startopia aren't very good. Their Dungeon Keeper clone, Dungeons was incredibly slow and unchallenging gameplay wise, filled with awful reference meme humor and simply not very fun

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the issue with the post apocalypse games is that it never really goes beyond being a settlement. Like once you get sustaining you can build cool poo poo, but there's never any point, it's just grow and stay a city. Better would be of you entered a phase 2 where you started projecting power into the surrounding areas

like start sending out armed and trained military units to wipe out raider strong holds and setting up outposts and regime changing politically aligning hostile settlements with the goal of becoming the center of a regional power and handling all the resource and production demands of that

hell zeus was able to do that well and it's near 20 years old

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

incredibly slow and unchallenging gameplay wise, filled with awful reference meme humor and simply not very fun

yeah, this is kinda what the new startopia feels like. plodding. at least there's no bad memes that i can recall

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the issue with the post apocalypse games is that it never really goes beyond being a settlement. Like once you get sustaining you can build cool poo poo, but there's never any point, it's just grow and stay a city. Better would be of you entered a phase 2 where you started projecting power into the surrounding areas

like start sending out armed and trained military units to wipe out raider strong holds and setting up outposts and regime changing politically aligning hostile settlements with the goal of becoming the center of a regional power and handling all the resource and production demands of that

I daresay Endzone might go for this for its post-release plans, DLC or whatever. They already have a framework for citizens wandering away from the city proper in the form of expeditions, and has off-map traders coming in for commerce. From there it's a good base for off-map factions, diplomacy, and that good ole staple of the post apocalypse: raiders

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Agean90 posted:

Rimworld allows for this but since you can only build one colony. Rise to ruins maybe?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Rimworld allows for this but since you can only build one colony. Rise to ruins maybe?

You can build multiple colonies now. You just have to enable it in the settings.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can build multiple colonies but it's really like building and managing one colony, twice. There's no broader advantage that you get by having two separate colonies. There's no power projection or any wider impact, just two places that get raids and two bases to manage. The only thing is one can be a way-station on a caravan route which helps a little, but caravans are so uninteresting I think most people install various mods to bypass it like extra orbital trade ships, faster caravans, or player-owned dropships.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Davincie posted:

The devs of the new startopia aren't very good. Their Dungeon Keeper clone, Dungeons was incredibly slow and unchallenging gameplay wise, filled with awful reference meme humor and simply not very fun

I always wondered why Dungeons 3 has such high user reviews, like is it actually good or did everybody with any semblance of good taste just avoid the sequels because Dungeons 1 was so offensively bad?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bhodi posted:

You can build multiple colonies but it's really like building and managing one colony, twice. There's no broader advantage that you get by having two separate colonies. There's no power projection or any wider impact, just two places that get raids and two bases to manage. The only thing is one can be a way-station on a caravan route which helps a little, but caravans are so uninteresting I think most people install various mods to bypass it like extra orbital trade ships, faster caravans, or player-owned dropships.

The fact that they’re disconnected also changes with various mods, including a wireless power mod that lets you build a relay station and just run one power base. And a mod that lets you build roads and stuff.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The god damned cash app UI for buying stock is more basic than castle clash of clans. The lootbox is priced in the same tiers as Genshin Impact. I don't know where to post this thought.

All my management game instincts are on fire and that is not a good thing. Jesus people have been day trading their money and severence on these things. poo poo is spooky and I immidiately understand when I threw in my solidarity $100 lootbox because it presses the same endorphin buttons.

This is my first time interacting with this, but I have studied in books and classes and concluded they were beanie babies that used to pay regular dividends. There is an entire mirror universe out there who spent all COVID summer interacting with this. In both universes number go up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Count Uvula posted:

I always wondered why Dungeons 3 has such high user reviews, like is it actually good or did everybody with any semblance of good taste just avoid the sequels because Dungeons 1 was so offensively bad?

I really enjoy Dungeons 3 :shobon: The humor is dumb and childish and for some reason ot fits the dumb and childish gameplay.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The Steam Game Festival is coming back Feb 3. I couldn't find a list of games, but there should be two or three demos in there, that fit the thread.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamgamefestival

Speaking of demos, one that I played during the last festival was "The Riftbreaker Prologue". It's a sci-fi take on "They are Billions" with a mix of C&C/Supcom base building. You build, get resources and research upgrades. All the while you need to defend yourself from aliens that attack your base. For that you have walls, turrets and a heavily customizable mech suit that resembles a Supreme Commander ACU.

The demo below is about 45 minutes long and has a 96% steam rating. The game is also featured in the next game festival trailer so there might be a new demo next week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1293860/The_Riftbreaker_Prologue/

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone tried Kingdoms Reborn? It only came out back in November and has a 91% positive rating with over 1600 reviews. I loved Banished and a lot of the reviews draw the comparison between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i was also interested in that but watching gameplay videos and seeing the strange card mechanic turned me off.