Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
A time traveling, gay- possibly bisexual- robot with explosive anger disorder, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

w h a t

edit: like, I rather ask here than dig out lore in increasingly obtuse, maddening ways to confirm that but my main problem with this is since when technology advanced in elder scrolls? lol

have you heard of the dwemer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

w h a t

edit: like, I rather ask here than dig out lore in increasingly obtuse, maddening ways to confirm that but my main problem with this is since when technology advanced in elder scrolls? lol

IIRC, half of that is from Kirkbride's acid dreams, the other half is implied depending on how you want to take parts of the Song of Pelinal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

w h a t

since the future, duh

the entire Song of Pelinal is very short, you should just read it and think it through, but if you really don't want to, here's the bullet points:

• introduced as a red diamond "[whose] facets could [un-sector and form] into a man"
  • described as wearing armor "from a future time"
  • admits that his unpiercable armor is "unlike any crafted by men"
  • is described as having beneath the armor a hollow chest with no heart but a red diamond that "sings like a mindless dragon"
  • is called Whitestrake because "his left hand was made of a killing light"
  • cries the name "Reman" in battle, many centuries before the birth of Reman I
  • his severed head has a conversation with Morihaus
  • really does kill a whole lot of elves and absolutely will not stop, doesn't feel pain or fear (okay this one is a stretch, but that's the joke the video is making. the same author also made a video joking about the emperor using numidium being like Shinji piloting Evangelion)

and also it's worth noting that in the world of Elder Scrolls "shezzarine cyborg sent back in time to ensure the first human kingdom is created" is not necessarily a contradictory explanation to "shezzarine knight-adventurer inserted into old epics by imperial scribes to give their regime more legitimacy." in our world only the written histories can change over time as the perspective of their writers shift, but in TES there are matching shifts in actual past events and gods. Vivec wrote his own mythic origin. Trinimac became a daedra. the past is not fixed and unchanging.

but it'd be a pretty boss UbiLike game, you gotta admit. use an engine that lets you fight armies of slaver elves, travel the land liberating settlements, collecting armor and cannon upgrades, romancing Huna...

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 13, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

w h a t

you're really gonna be confused when you learn that tiber septim conquered tamriel with a gundam then

e: possibly a zord. the records are unclear

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
He conquered Tamriel with a time warping megazord and became the God Emperor. Tiber Septim is a textbook JRPG villain.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Star Sector will be 30 minutes of prologue in weird, but fairly basic sci-fi setting as you create your generic, human super-soldier, run around a futuristic base, receive bunch of cybernetic enchantments and then step into a teleporter. Suddenly due to error in its configuration, you are transported in time instead of space and arrive in ancient Tamriel where elven empire is enslaving all of humanity and as the title drop you will see "Star Sector" slowly burning away and being replaced by "TES VI: Song of Pelinal".

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lt. Lizard posted:

Star Sector will be 30 minutes of prologue in weird, but fairly basic sci-fi setting as you create your generic, human super-soldier, run around a futuristic base, receive bunch of cybernetic enchantments and then step into a teleporter. Suddenly due to error in its configuration, you are transporter in time instead of space and arrive in ancient Tamriel where elven empire is enslaving all of humanity and as the title drop you will see "Star Sector" slowly burning away and being replaced by "TES IV: Song of Pelinal".

The Only Thing They Fear Is You starts up in the background

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

w h a t

The history had about a 1000 year period of nonlinear time warp during the first era, anomalies like the Imperial space program could be handily sweeped under a rug by saying advanced technology was around for a good while but relied on laws of physics that stopped applying for the most part.

That is, if you wanna be boring and aren't willing to believe that cool starship battles are happening off screen during all the games. Sentient androids, AI babies and ancestor ghosts in missile-equipped robot dragon bodies run around even if you peel just one layer off and look at dwemer/Sotha Sil stuff

Nina fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 13, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

as a kid i always thought that part of how bill and ted were saving the world was by gathering, and then changing the perspectives, of a bunch of people from the past, thus weaving their good nature into the fabric of human history.

because, obviously, how could just passing a history class and having good music save the world? it must be that history completely changed because the secretly nicest people in the world just happened to be given power to change it. god must have had a plan, because the tzadikim nistarim, the people who no one can tell are the perfect people to have it, got a goddamn time machine.

but no, i was inventing that, it never comes up in the movies. this is my most precious fan theory, please tread lightly on it.

This is a legit great theory.

Also seriously fascinating concept that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lt. Lizard posted:

Star Sector will be 30 minutes of prologue in weird, but fairly basic sci-fi setting as you create your generic, human super-soldier, run around a futuristic base, receive bunch of cybernetic enchantments and then step into a teleporter. Suddenly due to error in its configuration, you are transported in time instead of space and arrive in....

...a horse drawn cart on a snowy road. The rough looking man across looks at you ”Hey, you’re finally awake..”

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

as a kid i always thought that part of how bill and ted were saving the world was by gathering, and then changing the perspectives, of a bunch of people from the past, thus weaving their good nature into the fabric of human history.

because, obviously, how could just passing a history class and having good music save the world? it must be that history completely changed because the secretly nicest people in the world just happened to be given power to change it. god must have had a plan, because the tzadikim nistarim, the people who no one can tell are the perfect people to have it, got a goddamn time machine.

but no, i was inventing that, it never comes up in the movies. this is my most precious fan theory, please tread lightly on it.

this is the coolest loving theory ever

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean we can all dream, but the closest TES6 will come to Kirkbride will maybe something about how the PC has lost CHIM

since it will be online only without mods

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I've been enjoying playing Skyrim for the first time in forever, but man the colors, especially in dungeons, can make it hard to see the drab guys in brown armor against the drab brown walls and floor. Are there any mods that improve the contrast and\or change up the color palette?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mysterious frankie posted:

I've been enjoying playing Skyrim for the first time in forever, but man the colors, especially in dungeons, can make it hard to see the drab guys in brown armor against the drab brown walls and floor. Are there any mods that improve the contrast and\or change up the color palette?

Download Imaginator and its MCM menu optional file. Go to the options and turn the “Pixar” option up by just one tick. And after that you’ll never go back.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite high-tech thing in TES is that the orb from the mages' college questline is, per a Kirkbride text that predates Skyrim by a few months, a far-future asteroid mining drone that fell through a time hole. Maybe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pretty good posted:

My favourite high-tech thing in TES is that the orb from the mages' college questline is, per a Kirkbride text that predates Skyrim by a few months, a far-future asteroid mining drone that fell through a time hole. Maybe.

I'm a "limited sentience deep-pressure capable "thot-box""

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pretty good posted:

I dont know why I find this so funny but he posted this just as Benghazi was happening:laffo:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Wolfsheim posted:

I dont know why I find this so funny but he posted this just as Benghazi was happening:laffo:

First off: gross. Don't.
Second off, Benghazi happened in 2012.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nina posted:

The history had about a 1000 year period of nonlinear time warp during the first era, anomalies like the Imperial space program could be handily sweeped under a rug by saying advanced technology was around for a good while but relied on laws of physics that stopped applying for the most part.

That is, if you wanna be boring and aren't willing to believe that cool starship battles are happening off screen during all the games. Sentient androids, AI babies and ancestor ghosts in missile-equipped robot dragon bodies run around even if you peel just one layer off and look at dwemer/Sotha Sil stuff

So basically the Spelljammer equivalent to regular Elder Scrolls' fantasy kitchen sink homebrew D&D setting.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wish I could do as many drugs as Kirkbride

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

Star Sector will be 30 minutes of prologue in weird, but fairly basic sci-fi setting as you create your generic, human super-soldier, run around a futuristic base, receive bunch of cybernetic enchantments and then step into a teleporter. Suddenly due to error in its configuration, you are transported in time instead of space and arrive in ancient Tamriel where elven empire is enslaving all of humanity and as the title drop you will see "Star Sector" slowly burning away and being replaced by "TES VI: Song of Pelinal".

Star Sector?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Download Imaginator and its MCM menu optional file. Go to the options and turn the “Pixar” option up by just one tick. And after that you’ll never go back.

Ooh, I'm doing that. I just started futzing with Bethesda mods for the first time in my life. Currently I'm running
-unofficial patch
-realistic water two
-realistic lighting overhaul
-static mesh improvement mod
-flora overhaul
-skyui
The realistic lighting has helped quite a bit, and overall the game is looking a lot better.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

No, no the other sci-fi open-world game with completely generic and forgettable name vaguely related to space. The one developed by Bethesda. (Quick googling later) Starfield? :v:

Although I have to admit that Star Sector looks a significantly more interesting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ooh, I'm doing that. I just started futzing with Bethesda mods for the first time in my life. Currently I'm running
-unofficial patch
-realistic water two
-realistic lighting overhaul
-static mesh improvement mod
-flora overhaul
-skyui
The realistic lighting has helped quite a bit, and overall the game is looking a lot better.

I’m a BIG fan of Enhanced Light and FX over realistic lighting. Take a peek at it. It’s a touch less realistic but it gives the environments some needed drama and Barrows become fun to creep through again.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a BIG fan of Enhanced Light and FX over realistic lighting. Take a peek at it. It’s a touch less realistic but it gives the environments some needed drama and Barrows become fun to creep through again.

I put Pixar to .1 (scale went from 0-1.0) Is that what you suggested for the value? It looks really good. Gonna try the enhanced lighting mod now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I put Pixar to .1 (scale went from 0-1.0) Is that what you suggested for the value? It looks really good. Gonna try the enhanced lighting mod now.

Yep, .1 on Pixar is the setting I use. I mess with other poo poo sometimes but it’s too drastic. .1 on Pixar brings out the color without losing the “feel” of the game as intended. And yes, check out Enhanced Light and FX in places like Bleakfalls Barrow and the inn in Whiterun. It looks really good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Yep, .1 on Pixar is the setting I use. I mess with other poo poo sometimes but it’s too drastic. .1 on Pixar brings out the color without losing the “feel” of the game as intended. And yes, check out Enhanced Light and FX in places like Bleakfalls Barrow and the inn in Whiterun. It looks really good.

I really like the realistic fx mod, but man does it make interiors a little too dark, especially ruins. I'm never not sneaking though so I'm not about carrying torches\using magelight everywhere. Futzing with brightness setting helps for the most part, but it's still pitch black in some places.

In other news I forgot how overpowered mehrunes razor is, once you get your sneak\one handed high enough and have all the backstab bonuses maxed out\have the assassin gloves that double 1 handed damage & you're doing 30X damage. I've been honing ebony too, so once I get my smithing high enough I'm honing it . It's kinda unnecessary at this point though; nothing can see me and everything dies so quickly.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I really like the realistic fx mod, but man does it make interiors a little too dark, especially ruins. I'm never not sneaking though so I'm not about carrying torches\using magelight everywhere. Futzing with brightness setting helps for the most part, but it's still pitch black in some places.

In other news I forgot how overpowered mehrunes razor is, once you get your sneak\one handed high enough and have all the backstab bonuses maxed out\have the assassin gloves that double 1 handed damage & you're doing 30X damage. I've been honing ebony too, so once I get my smithing high enough I'm honing it . It's kinda unnecessary at this point though; nothing can see me and everything dies so quickly.

I remember years ago laughing my rear end off at someone sneak attacking a sleeping dragon with Mehrune's Razor and one-hitting it. But because of the required animations the dragon had to: wake up, take off, immediately turn around and crash, and only then would the soul be absorbed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

I remember years ago laughing my rear end off at someone sneak attacking a sleeping dragon with Mehrune's Razor and one-hitting it. But because of the required animations the dragon had to: wake up, take off, immediately turn around and crash, and only then would the soul be absorbed.

Last night I critted a skeletal dragon so hard its animation abruptly stopped, it went into an standing-at-attention pose, lifted twenty feet in the air, glided sideways across the room until it hit a wall, at which point its animation kicked back on and it turned like it was going to fight me, then died.

Just glorious. I've missed having this kind of jank in my life.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think if the next ES game is in high rock/hammerfell they absolutely should bring back all the magic skills from Daggerfall and explain it in game as "look nords are too stupid for more than like 4 schools of magic"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I just started playing Dawnguard and got to the part where Harkon gives you the option to become a vampire, and he accidentally makes it a really easy choice.

HARKON: *changes into a purple-grey dog faced man in a loin cloth and speaks in Matt Berry voice* THIS IS WHAT I OFFER YOU! MAKE YOUR CHOICE!

ME: nah I'm good.

HARKON: BUT... HAVEN'T YOU SEEN MY BULGING PECS AND TOTALLY ON POINT THIGH MUSCLES? NEVER ONCE HAVE I NOT SKIPPED A LEG DAY, AND YET *points to thighs* HERE WE ARE!

ME:... yeah

HARKON: AND WHAT OF MY ADONIS BELT? IT IS WIDELY CONSIDERED TO BE THE MOST ATTRACTIVE PHYSICAL FEATURE OF A FIT MALE SPECIMEN?

ME: I see... it.

HARKON: AND YET YOU WANT NONE OF WHAT I GOT GOING ON?

ME: lol, no I'm good.

HARKON: ARE YOU LAUGHING AT ME?

ME: ...no

HARKON: YES YOU ARE! YOU ARE TOTALLY LAUGHING AT ME, PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU ARE JEALOUS OF MY GAINS! WELL, FINE, gently caress YOU, YOU'RE BANNED AND IF I SEE YOU OR ANY OF YOUR NO DOUBT SOFT & PILLOWY FRIENDS AROUND MY COOL CASTLE AGAIIN I WILL DEFINITELY KILL YOU, GOODBYE!

I don't care what powers I'm missing out on. I'm glad I don't have to hang out with him.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The greatest thing about being a vampire lord is having no fall damage.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

The greatest thing about being a vampire lord is having no fall damage.

I'm sure there are benefits, but the way the reveal was handled was comical, like that Achewood strip where Pat tries to show off his physique.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

No, no the other sci-fi open-world game with completely generic and forgettable name vaguely related to space. The one developed by Bethesda. (Quick googling later) Starfield? :v:

Although I have to admit that Star Sector looks a significantly more interesting.

theres a channer who did a great review of it

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm playing Skyrim SE on Xbox One, have a 200+ hour save and finally got around to starting the Dawnguard stuff.

Apparently it's broken and I can't enter Castle Volkihar because I discovered it before meeting Serana. She is supposed to start a conversation on the bridge but it never happens and the watchman just keeps telling me to go away.

Thankfully there are known ways to glitch past the gate (numerous videos about it, some with over a hundred thousand views), but lol how Bethesda never fixed this.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ErrEff posted:

I'm playing Skyrim SE on Xbox One, have a 200+ hour save and finally got around to starting the Dawnguard stuff.

Apparently it's broken and I can't enter Castle Volkihar because I discovered it before meeting Serana. She is supposed to start a conversation on the bridge but it never happens and the watchman just keeps telling me to go away.

Thankfully there are known ways to glitch past the gate (numerous videos about it, some with over a hundred thousand views), but lol how Bethesda never fixed this.

Similar issue with Dawnguard, where Serana gets stuck on geometry or stops moving, or something, on the way to see her mom in the Soul Cairn, so the mission to kill the four guardians never kicks off. I ended up just wandering around and killed them as part of my exploration, which does drop the wall between you and the mom, but she refuses to acknowledge you until Serana is present... and good luck finding her wherever the hell she is on that massive, samey map. I ended up leaving the cairn and fast traveling somewhere else, at which point Serana teleported to me, then fast travelled back to the balcony, re-entered the cairn and walked back to her mom (backwards, to make sure Serana didn’t wander off and get stuck, which she almost did again, thank god I kept an eye on her this time) and kick off/complete the mission to open the way to the Elder Scroll.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She should teleport up right next to you if you wait for an hour.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Poil posted:

She should teleport up right next to you if you wait for an hour.

I rested for twelve before I left the cairn. Do you mean you have to literally leave the game sitting for one game or real hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I rested for twelve before I left the cairn. Do you mean you have to literally leave the game sitting for one game or real hour?

lol Bethesda