Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

majestic12 posted:

Welp. We made it 319 days and finally my kid popped positive for Covid. We were so careful. I'm livid at all the loving assholes who won't wear a loving mask. Thankfully she has no symptoms so she just has to stay home for 10 days. gently caress.

https://www.chop.edu/news/chop-researchers-find-elevated-biomarker-related-blood-vessel-damage-all-children-sars-cov-2

Might want to keep an eye out for stuff like that over the next year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

ughhhhhhhh thanks, and not thanks. luckily her pediatricians office is rock solid, and affiliated with a major teaching hospital and research center so I'm sure they'll keep us updated.

i just miss when the biggest thing to worry about was how to get her to properly take a poo poo. parenting!!!!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

nwin posted:

We were thinking of buying like a big bean bag chair for him but I’m pretty sure the day we do that is the day he gets sick and vomits all over it.

P sure you can get those with waterproof covers?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

majestic12 posted:

ughhhhhhhh thanks, and not thanks. luckily her pediatricians office is rock solid, and affiliated with a major teaching hospital and research center so I'm sure they'll keep us updated.

i just miss when the biggest thing to worry about was how to get her to properly take a poo poo. parenting!!!!

Definitely trust your ped to keep an eye on this; I don't think there's much you can add by worrying.

What that researcher says in the opening:
“We do not yet know the clinical implications of this [...]”

That's code for "We saw this in a petri dish and we don't know if it means anything yet. Please fund our further research". I guess if any children turn out to have actual damage, we'll find out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

life is killing me posted:

You know the one good part about your toddler vomiting string cheese onto the carpet?

None. There are no good parts

Well it's a good demonstration of why carpet is the shittiest worst floor possible.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We used to have one of those car organisers with lots of pockets that hung off the back of the drivers seats. When our eldest was younger she projectile vomited into it, and it was in every pocket.

It was grim, it went straight in the bin. We then sold the car as we couldn’t get rid of the residual smell.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has decided not walking like a herd of elephants because downstairs neighbors is just entirely unacceptable and he's gonna move out and get a job at Netflix (so they'll stop removing the shows he likes of course) and it's going to be so awesome. Typical teenager stuff.

Which.... child....you don't even remember to shower and wear deodorant unless I remind you right now. But sure.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well it's a good demonstration of why carpet is the shittiest worst floor possible.

That’s fair and also entirely true

E: unless it’s a nice area rug

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 27, 2021

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
We're making progress on potty training! Daughter used to be scared of peeing/pooping anywhere except her diaper and scared of sitting on the potty when it was clear she needed to go. But, with a bit of chocolate bribery she's getting less scared of the potty and she peed a bit in it yesterday! And on the floor and in the sink. She recognized that she was peeing each time, was startled a bit by it, but didn't freak out like she had in the past.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

life is killing me posted:

Anyone else’s toddler take small pieces of food and put them in weird places like water bottles, jars, etc? Just because they can? My son puts goldfish wherever, he keeps doing it even though we tell him not to do that and they are supposed to stay in his snack cup if they aren’t on their way to his mouth and/or down his gullet.

He’s got a toy workbench with little hex-shaped nut and bolt type holes, and we constantly find a goldfish in each of them. He’s such a loving weirdo

One of my earliest childhood memories is being scolded for hiding a sandwich in a vase. I'm not sure if I turned out well enough to confirm that it's perfectly normal or not, but it sounds like a normal kid thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Snow falling from trees
I DONT WANT TO TYPE OR WRITE!
Asynchronous Days

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At day care 7.5 month old baby Pony sleeps for like 1 hour all day in two 30 minute naps and has like 4 hour wake windows. Comes home with "happy" and "active" on his sheet and the teacher says he just went went went all day. Comes home super happy then rapidly runs out of gas and goes down for a two hour nap, smiling the whole time.

At home we can't get him from four to three naps in a day because he gets crazy fussy after being awake for 2:15 and practically falls asleep in place at 2:30. For his first and second naps we have to wake his butt up at 1:30 or else he'd just happily snooze for over two hours in a go.

I'm not concerned or anything but I am extremely curious what the heck magic activities they are doing all day to keep him so engaged and happy (can't visit the classrooms now due to Covid precautions). Dude must be running on FOMO all day or something.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Kid had 4 accidents in one day, then insisted she won't wear a nappy to bed.

Welp. But so be it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shifty Pony posted:

At day care 7.5 month old baby Pony sleeps for like 1 hour all day in two 30 minute naps and has like 4 hour wake windows. Comes home with "happy" and "active" on his sheet and the teacher says he just went went went all day. Comes home super happy then rapidly runs out of gas and goes down for a two hour nap, smiling the whole time.

At home we can't get him from four to three naps in a day because he gets crazy fussy after being awake for 2:15 and practically falls asleep in place at 2:30. For his first and second naps we have to wake his butt up at 1:30 or else he'd just happily snooze for over two hours in a go.

I'm not concerned or anything but I am extremely curious what the heck magic activities they are doing all day to keep him so engaged and happy (can't visit the classrooms now due to Covid precautions). Dude must be running on FOMO all day or something.

I would bet it's simply the presence of other kids. It's magical somehow. I've seen the same before.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trying to gather brainstorming suggestions:

Since my daughter was born (5.5 months or so), I've been using The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel as a bedtime song. It's great for that purpose; the problem is that there's a line in it about whores, and I'm gonna need an alternate lyric to use there sometime before my kid learns to understand words.

The stanza in question, for anyone who doesn't know/remember:

quote:

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job but I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores on 7th Avenue
I do declare
There were times that I was so lonesome I took some comfort there
La la la la la la la

Now, instead of this I started saying "Just a ride upon the horse on 7th Avenue", which scans, but has the disadvantage of not making any goddamn sense. Why would the speaker try to get a job and instead get a horseback ride? Pure gibberish.

My wife, when I asked her, came up with "Just a honking from the cars on 7th Avenue," which makes sense internally, but doesn't really fit with the next line, in that it insinuates that the speaker would occasionally get so lonely that he would go back to 7th Avenue for the purpose of being honked at by cars, which raises a lot of questions.

Can somebody help me think of some words to sing to this song that don't involve prostitution, non sequiturs, or car-horn fetishes, thanks in advance

cailleask
May 6, 2007

loquacius posted:

Trying to gather brainstorming suggestions:

Since my daughter was born (5.5 months or so), I've been using The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel as a bedtime song. It's great for that purpose; the problem is that there's a line in it about whores, and I'm gonna need an alternate lyric to use there sometime before my kid learns to understand words.

The stanza in question, for anyone who doesn't know/remember:

Now, instead of this I started saying "Just a ride upon the horse on 7th Avenue", which scans, but has the disadvantage of not making any goddamn sense. Why would the speaker try to get a job and instead get a horseback ride? Pure gibberish.

My wife, when I asked her, came up with "Just a honking from the cars on 7th Avenue," which makes sense internally, but doesn't really fit with the next line, in that it insinuates that the speaker would occasionally get so lonely that he would go back to 7th Avenue for the purpose of being honked at by cars, which raises a lot of questions.

Can somebody help me think of some words to sing to this song that don't involve prostitution, non sequiturs, or car-horn fetishes, thanks in advance

How about :

quote:

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job but I get no offers
Just a come-on from the stores on 7th Avenue
I do declare
There were times that I was so lonesome I took some comfort there
La la la la la la la

A little retail therapy never hurt nobody!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh poo poo, yes, that's good, thanks :tipshat:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bet there is a kidzbop version on itunes or something :haw:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Likewise, can someone come up with a kid-friendly line for “kiss my rear end I bought a boat I’m going out to sea”

I feel like our ‘bum’ substitution will still get us a meeting with preschool teachers.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

BadSamaritan posted:

Likewise, can someone come up with a kid-friendly line for “kiss my rear end I bought a boat I’m going out to sea”

I feel like our ‘bum’ substitution will still get us a meeting with preschool teachers.

Look at me I bought a boat I’m going out to sea.

Kiss goodbye I bought a boat...

Say goodbye...

Ahoy matey...

Uuuh

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Not a lullaby but the other day my toddler was singing along to a Tropical Fuckstorm song lyric ‘your politics are nothing but a fond gently caress you’ and uhh, just ignored and made a mental note to avoid that one again.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BadSamaritan posted:

The radio version uses "Adios I bought a boat" which works perfectly well.

I'd been doing Werewolves of London right up until my kid asked what mutilated meant.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Ben Nevis posted:

The radio version uses "Adios I bought a boat" which works perfectly well.

I'd been doing Werewolves of London right up until my kid asked what mutilated meant.

this is when you introduce the grisly bits of Planet Earth, fyi. My 4.5yo has a great grasp on the circle of life.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
2 year old just tested positive :toot: . That is old enough to quarantine, right?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We caught covid about 3 weeks ago and managed to keep the kid from getting sick through basically sheer dumb luck (he was at the grandparents house for babysitting when we got symptoms so they offered to keep him while we were sick and they all tested negative 9 days after his potential exposure so he seems to have escaped without catching it) but holy poo poo this is exhausting.

I ended up in the hospital Tuesday and now I am basically useless 20 hours a day from "post-covid something or other". We both tested negative this week so we picked him up and it's just heartbreaking to not physically be able to take care of him all the time. My poor wife has to tank everything and I feel completely useless. I did laundry and scrubbed down all the furniture before we picked him up but that clearly was pushing too hard because I'm laid up in bed again.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

L0cke17 posted:

We caught covid about 3 weeks ago and managed to keep the kid from getting sick through basically sheer dumb luck (he was at the grandparents house for babysitting when we got symptoms so they offered to keep him while we were sick and they all tested negative 9 days after his potential exposure so he seems to have escaped without catching it) but holy poo poo this is exhausting.

I ended up in the hospital Tuesday and now I am basically useless 20 hours a day from "post-covid something or other". We both tested negative this week so we picked him up and it's just heartbreaking to not physically be able to take care of him all the time. My poor wife has to tank everything and I feel completely useless. I did laundry and scrubbed down all the furniture before we picked him up but that clearly was pushing too hard because I'm laid up in bed again.

Man that sucks, but seriously take it easy (err, as circumstances allow) because long covid is apparently worse if you try to power through it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We are currently being ravaged by a stomach bug. 19 month old who co-sleeps puked a in our bed Wednesday night. All over my pillow... A half inch from my face! He continued puking that night but hasn't since. We've just had mild fever that comes and goes. I suspect the rest of us will come down with it any second now.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Not to scare, but sometimes kids with covid present with puking as the first symptom. Our nanny's kid got it (thankfully we weren't exposed) and has just had fever, occasional puking, and mild congestion for symptoms.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

2 year old just tested positive :toot: . That is old enough to quarantine, right?

I don't think age has anything to do with it, unless you mean "quarantine from parents".

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't think age has anything to do with it, unless you mean "quarantine from parents".

:thejoke: Yea, I meant from us. I guess we can dump a Costco sized bag of cheerios on the floor and turn Disney Jr on for a few weeks, but not sure he will be happy with that. He just has a 100 degree fever but seems happy and playful.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

marchantia posted:

Not to scare, but sometimes kids with covid present with puking as the first symptom. Our nanny's kid got it (thankfully we weren't exposed) and has just had fever, occasional puking, and mild congestion for symptoms.

Eek. He was snotty for a bit. We'll go get him tested on Monday. Nobody but the ER will test on Sunday here.

I thought about that but our daycare had just notified us of a stomach bug so we assumed it was that.

A kid in a nearby classroom tested positive about 10 days ago.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Pain of Mind posted:

:thejoke: Yea, I meant from us. I guess we can dump a Costco sized bag of cheerios on the floor and turn Disney Jr on for a few weeks, but not sure he will be happy with that. He just has a 100 degree fever but seems happy and playful.

Our positive 3 year old had a 101 fever just for today. She, my wife and I have all been wearing masks the whole day since she tested positive Monday. It’s exhausting but if it helps us or the baby not get it it’ll be worth it. Her fever came down today so she celebrated by trying to ride a wheeled horsie off the footstool.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pain of Mind posted:

This happened to some friends with their 3 year old, three weeks before the mom's due date. They put mom downstairs in the basement to fend for herself, the three year old upstairs, and dad outside on the deck (in December) except for sleeping and when the three year old needed him. They managed not to get it from him, and mom went late enough that she wasn't in quarantine while in labour and dad could attend the birth.

But it was pretty touch and go.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

majestic12 posted:

Our positive 3 year old had a 101 fever just for today. She, my wife and I have all been wearing masks the whole day since she tested positive Monday. It’s exhausting but if it helps us or the baby not get it it’ll be worth it. Her fever came down today so she celebrated by trying to ride a wheeled horsie off the footstool.

Our 19-month-old only had about a 99.4 the day after he was throwing up and the next day they pretty much went away and it came back today at around 101...

our pediatrician is not open tomorrow so we'll probably go Monday but we also have a friend whose kid is in our class as well and he started exhibiting the exact same symptoms today and he has a pediatrician that is open tomorrow so he's going to do it tested which will help us hopefully know about proxy.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
He is not quite 2, and not old enough to really keep himself occupied or to self isolate or wear a mask, and our place is not really big enough to easily keep separate either. My plan is to keep windows open as much as possible (CA so not that cold), try and stay above his head level, and wash hands often. I am not really sure what else we can do.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pain of Mind posted:

He is not quite 2, and not old enough to really keep himself occupied or to self isolate or wear a mask, and our place is not really big enough to easily keep separate either. My plan is to keep windows open as much as possible (CA so not that cold), try and stay above his head level, and wash hands often. I am not really sure what else he we can do.

Yeah unless you have family to take care of your kids - there is no isolating from parents. If your kid gets it, you just have to make whatever plans you can to quarantine with your kid.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
All the vomity toddler posts have cursed me. My 2 year old woke me up by vomiting in my face. Then he vomited all over the bed and went full vomit breathing dragon in the bath. I forgot how much stomach stuff sucked at this age. He has no idea wtf is happening and lowkey panics when he has to puke, so getting him to aim for a container is almost impossible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1up posted:

All the vomity toddler posts have cursed me. My 2 year old woke me up by vomiting in my face. Then he vomited all over the bed and went full vomit breathing dragon in the bath. I forgot how much stomach stuff sucked at this age. He has no idea wtf is happening and lowkey panics when he has to puke, so getting him to aim for a container is almost impossible.

Yeah we just do the bath thing. My wife was desperately trying to redirect with her hands into the toilet and I was just like.. throw him the bath! We'll clean it up later!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I had two kids vomiting in bed a couple years ago but they were decent enough to take turns. And my 3yo did such a good job hitting the bucket I was sort of proud of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man, our 2-y o was such a champ about puking last time she had a stomach bug. She didn't know wtf at first (woke up puking) and cried a while but once that settled, she sat on a stool by the toilet and made sure to stand up and aim down the bowl every time it came over her again. Then I showered her and she went and laid down on the tiles and insisted on sleeping right there. Wouldn't even let me put a towel under her - which I did as soon as she was asleep, of course.