Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Eat pickled eggs and sardines with it to be healthy. Pour the sardine oil over your squashes. And always finish your lunch with four cigarettes and a healthy two hour nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

fizzymercy posted:

Brown sugar lemonade is loving to die for. Is that what brown lemonade is? It's a farm staple here in Texas.

"Lemonade" in the UK means sprite.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nbcchicago/status/1354471333615296515?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’ve never had this and now I’m having it all summer. Thanks, fizzymercy. Thizzymercy.

Adding a half-teaspoon or so of aged balsamic vinegar to a quart pitcher of lemonade is also great.

:same:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Irish lemonade tech is far in advance of what i'm used to. much to ponder.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

You can put rainbow sprinkles in Kraft mac and that's not okay but it looks fabulous. Tastes like sugary feet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Some Irish poo poo, there's a few Irish and scottish drinks on there

Edit: Actually, it occurs to me that both Ireland and Scotland seem chock-a-block with wan orange soft drinks that nobody can describe the flavor of, I'm just gonna guess they taste like sugar
Irn-Bru tastes like bubblegum, but (because there seems to be a long-standing controversy about this) it's a quite specific kind of bubblegum. I'm from Europe and I immediately recognized it, but the classic American "bubble gum" flavour is different. Also yes sugar indeed.

what's truly indescribable at least to Europeans is root beer, you can only say it tastes like root beer, there's like no frame of reference and most people think it's vile.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's actually a couple flavors of root beer out there that are only vaguely similar. And then there's this Australian stuff that is overpriced and uses licorice root as a flavoring, which is definitely not normal, even though that is a root.

I like this explanation for root beer, where they're complaining about how sweet it is and it's just, you motherfucker, you just literally drank a glass of corn syrup before drinking that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

My Lovely Horse posted:

Irn-Bru tastes like bubblegum, but (because there seems to be a long-standing controversy about this) it's a quite specific kind of bubblegum. I'm from Europe and I immediately recognized it, but the classic American "bubble gum" flavour is different. Also yes sugar indeed.

Does that mean it tastes just like Big Red then?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

what's truly indescribable at least to Europeans is root beer, you can only say it tastes like root beer, there's like no frame of reference and most people think it's vile.

One of the drinks in the list I posted earlier is Sarsaparilla, which is apparently very close to root beer. There's a few other brands of root beer here too. I most often see them in trendy coffee shops but I've only tried one and it wasn't good. The smell reminded me a bit of Germoline antiseptic cream.

Irn Bru is impossible to pin down because there's no point of reference. It's kind of like trying to describe the flavour of a banana to someone who has never eaten one. It doesn't remind me of any type of bubblegum I've tried. We have bubblegum flavoured soda and it's completely different.

I'd go with vaguely citrus but different from the citrus taste of drinks that use fruit juice, mixed with a slightly metallic flavour and something vaguely floral. I find it hard to remember the taste even though I had some a few weeks ago. This happens every time until the next time I drink some; then it comes back and I remember that I don't really like it that much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've had very nice root beer and stuff that tastes absolutely horrible, like licking the runoff from a chemical factory.

I also really like cream soda which is hard to get nice vesions of over here, again it tastes really synthetic.

E: yeah germolene is what it sometimes smells and tastes like, weird. But sometimes it's nice and warm tasting.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moxie is like root beer but less offensively sweet, it's good poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

Moxie is like root beer but less offensively sweet, it's good poo poo

Moxie is great while you are drinking it

It has the strongest aftertaste of any sweet drink I've ever had

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Bloop posted:

Moxie is great while you are drinking it

It has the strongest aftertaste of any sweet drink I've ever had

I've had exactly 1 (one) bottle of Moxie but it tasted like non-alcoholic jagermeister to me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The two major flavors in root beer are methyl salicylate (wintergreen) and vanilla.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Root beer tastes like fizzy toothpaste. You'll never stop tasting it now that I've said that.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Root Beer is good; Irn Bru is good. I don't drink sugary drinks though because I don't need to get any fatter than I already am. Irn Bru has a vague fruity flavor which reminds me of sweet tarts or bubblegum. It probably contains some combination of citric acid and isoamyl acetate.

fizzymercy posted:

Root beer tastes like fizzy toothpaste. You'll never stop tasting it now that I've said that.

Nah we don't use the flavoring (safrole) in any toothpastes or medicines typically in the USA. I've shared root beer with many German nationals and they have immediately likened the taste to medicine, since I think there are medicines that use similar flavorings over there.

EDIT: nevermind; safrole hasn't been used since the 60's, see post below mine

Whooping Crabs has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jan 27, 2021

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

The two major flavors in root beer are methyl salicylate (wintergreen) and vanilla.

I mentioned Germoline antiseptic cream in my description of root beer. Googling tells me that wintergreen is also an ingredient in that. Also that pink stuff to rinse your mouth out at the dentist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

I've shared root beer with many German nationals and they have immediately likened the taste to medicine, since I think there are medicines that use similar flavorings over there.
I couldn't think of any specific medicine, but it's a perfectly obvious association.

On the other hand, Wintergreen flavouring isn't really common over here at all, at least in regular over-the-counter stuff. Imagine my surprise when I went to the US and innocently brushed my teeth with the hotel toothpaste. If you went to Germany and used the local toothpaste and it turned out to taste of beer you'd be like what the gently caress

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JuaR8GR.gifv

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I am worried about the mortar situation here

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, I know the constant mugging for the camera is part of CZN Burak's entire persona but it just gives this 500 times more "I am a serial killer and this is what I plan on doing with the person I'm stalking right now ie you" energy.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

if it meant I got to eat some of that food yeah ok I'll risk being thrown into THE PIT

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

he built an oubliette that you can cook meat in

redgubbinz posted:

if it meant I got to eat some of that food yeah ok I'll risk being thrown into THE PIT

is this a koit reference?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That pit's bigger than my apartment

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

he built an oubliette that you can cook meat in

is this a koit reference?

Nah, just a dumb streamer meme from years ago

CZN Burak definitely doesn't belong in this thread, his food looks delicious. And apparently he's big into charity work, seems like a cool guy with a passion for meat and swords.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Switchel or nothing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Darth Vader headcheese/brawn/sylta?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_GktzAR5Ss

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

axolotl farmer posted:

Darth Vader headcheese/brawn/sylta?

Pork in aspic made in a Star Wars-themed ice cube tray.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ugh, UGH!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't know how she does it, but I swear my roommate will use every pot, pan, utensil, knife, and cutting board when she cooks, to the point where it's as if she somehow produces additional phantom pans, that cease to exist as soon as they're loaded into the dishwasher.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The food tastes better if you move it from pan to pan with each step in the recipe. It just does.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Proper panning can really increase the sense of dynamic movement

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
you miss 100 percent of the pans you don't use.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know how she does it, but I swear my roommate will use every pot, pan, utensil, knife, and cutting board when she cooks, to the point where it's as if she somehow produces additional phantom pans, that cease to exist as soon as they're loaded into the dishwasher.

I'm quite fastidious about cleaning up as I cook, using downtime to wipe down surfaces or wash whatever's accumulated in the sink, and I do things like reuse stirring spoons or other implements as much as possible. I collect all my trimmings and cuttings in a bowl. By the time I'm serving the meal, I'd say 70% of the dishes are washed and the only things that need to be done after are the plates and cutlery we ate with and whatever the food was served in.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, manages to use more wooden spoons than there are things to stir, things nothing of leaving cracked eggshells to leak onto the countertop and generally leaves the kitchen looking like a whirlwind passed through. Seeing as our general rule is 'if you cook you don't do the dishes' this contributes to me wanting to cook most nights of the week.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mmmmmmmm

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm quite fastidious about cleaning up as I cook, using downtime to wipe down surfaces or wash whatever's accumulated in the sink, and I do things like reuse stirring spoons or other implements as much as possible. I collect all my trimmings and cuttings in a bowl. By the time I'm serving the meal, I'd say 70% of the dishes are washed and the only things that need to be done after are the plates and cutlery we ate with and whatever the food was served in.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, manages to use more wooden spoons than there are things to stir, things nothing of leaving cracked eggshells to leak onto the countertop and generally leaves the kitchen looking like a whirlwind passed through. Seeing as our general rule is 'if you cook you don't do the dishes' this contributes to me wanting to cook most nights of the week.

Your girlfriend is a goddamn genius.

E: I wasn't clear. I love to clean. Love it. Can't get enough of it. I especially love to clean when someone I'm cleaning for knows how to minimize mess. If someone would cook clean and make good food? OMG I would never cook again. I love to cook but wow it's great when literally anyone else does it.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jan 28, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Butterfly Valley posted:

Reading this as a Goofus & Gallant comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

Reading this as a Goofus & Gallant comic

Goofus and Gallant but they are married now