Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
If you guys end creating a patreon account. Don't feel forced to have patreon only content. gently caress that poo poo.

SA content has been surpassed by the dumbness of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps the patreon folks should give their extra money to some charities instead

Combine it, X% of any profit goes to charity. Would make it easier to talk about the forums irl as well. On the one hand goatman and shitposting on the other hand love and healing. That ying yang poo poo.

And yeah different sort of spending as someone pointed out.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 28, 2021

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

But the goatman is love.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I think the temporary view-only access to the forums was a good idea. That’s why I signed up after many years of only reading the front page (Elentor’s FF7 LP).

I think free signup is a very bad idea. Maybe you could register an account for free, but it would only give you view-only access to the forums. And maybe there could be a specific forum for free accounts, with a high post cool down limit so it isn’t that popular? I dunno

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, I remember when the mods were busting accounts of people who were sharing to get through the paywall and read some Danganronpa LP thing. That was wild considering how many accounts were involved.

SA Accounts, the new timeshare

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Saoshyant posted:

AirPnP (Piss and Post)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

agreed on the patreon

Also how much for a 9-11 reg date?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I would also like to pay to change my reg date, as to change the math on my posts per day and, thus, look less pathetic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Can we pay to change other users reg date?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Small subscription donations through Patreon are clearly a good idea with all the pledges being made here, but should there also be a publicly transparent way to make larger one-time donations?

Like, say a goon sells a business or an IP that owes some creative credit to the forums, and they want to share a percentage of it. It might be a useful avenue to have available during charity events and fund-drives as well.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Should we maybe organize a newbie drive and buy accounts for people we think would enjoy the site? I just bought my friend an account and one of the things I miss from Really Old GBS was the "adopt a newbie" threads. It was a fun way to meet new people

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

BUG JUG posted:

there's a front page?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I remember when the mods were busting accounts of people who were sharing to get through the paywall and read some Danganronpa LP thing. That was wild considering how many accounts were involved.

There was a guy cosplaying as the SA paywall page at a Danganronpa convention.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo :allears:

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Palpek posted:

I will never be as cool as that guy.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
This makes me a bit happier

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Palpek posted:

lmfao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

Jeffrey should ask for royalties on Danganronpa's success in America.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the update! I've been subbed here for a few months and would toss in more money to a patreon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
this site need to consider a login system where we put a chip on our rear end and we login just passing the phone trough our rear end crack

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I feel like I have been seeing more and more really old reg-dates and that is cool.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

nice

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Ziggy Smalls posted:

would kick in 5$/month to a patreon for the forums

just buy someone a new av every 2 months

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
'Chiming in to say thank you for the transparency and that I would definitely subscribe to support SA.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
reopen DPPH and all the other legacy forums and watch the site grow like gangbusters while preserving the culture of the forums bing bong so simple

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

ahhhh..... what a good t-shirt...

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It would be nice to have some sort stable base of revenue that doesn't so much depend on people making purchases each month. I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month. Please let me know what you think of this - my impression from the emails I've received is that a number of people are willing to contribute each month, and they currently don't have a way to do that.
Do it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Palpek posted:

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Palpek posted:

lmao good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
lol at the 10bux

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Palpek posted:

This guy fuckin owns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The dude cosplaying as Gundham looking on in confusion completes it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Palpek posted:

Meta cosplay is a thing of beauty :allears:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

lol

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

bradzilla posted:

That just encourages the insane seraph84 types to wait for the sale to make a hoard of alts. If $10 is too expensive for someone considering buying an account, why would $5 be any different?
go browse any of the mobile app threads, there's handwringing over 99 cent differences in price

also, any sort of discount (especially HALF OFF!) will drive people to buy even if they could afford it at full price, we love a deal

all that said you could be right about the alt thing, it might just be a bunch of insane alts instead genuine new users being spurred into subscribing

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Palpek posted:

Make this the new paywall picture

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU