Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

Speaking of, I'm planning some Deathwatch Outriders and my army are based on a martian-style earth/desert texture so I wanted to create light tire tread tracks behind the back wheel on each of them. Is there a good method of creating tread tracks? Does anyone have any experience in creating impressions like this on something like Citidel Martian Ironcrust before drying? I mean there's not a whole lotta room on the base for much, so it wouldn't need to be anything too crazy.

How comfortable are you with Green Stuff?

If you have access to it already or can pick some up relatively quickly, you can make a mold with reusable Oyumaru/"Blue Stuff" mold material. If you've never heard of it or have never used it before: Oyumaru is a thermal plastic that's solid at room temperature (and doesn't stick to anything) but is very soft and pliable when soaked in boiling water for a few minutes.

You can lay down a flat 'plate' of Oyumaru and then 'roll' an assembled marine bike tire on the top to make a track impression and once the Oyumaru has cooled back to room temperature you can fill the track with green stuff to make a reusable 'stamp' that you can use to make impressions on your basing material without messing up one of your tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Cross-posting from the BattleTech thread:

I painted up some tiny 'Mechs Men!

First up, a star of Clan Jade Falcon Vau Galaxy Elementals!

Second, a star of Clan Smoke Jaguar Nu Galaxy Elementals! Even though they use the same general colors (gray and red), I really dig how different they wound up looking.

And, with my two stray points (and because I knew I'd get sick of painting gray and red), Tiburon Khanate!

I wish I had a better camera. Anyone have any tips for taking reasonable shots with a cellphone?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This guy has been sitting on my desk half painted for almost two years. I finally finished him up. Pretty happy with how he turned out.

I went kinda nuts with decals because I really wanted it to look like a proper fighting vehicle with serial numbers and maintenance markings.

His weapons on both arms are magnetized.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Those caution stripes look so sick against the purple scheme.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I think you have exactly the right amount of decals.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

How comfortable are you with Green Stuff?

If you have access to it already or can pick some up relatively quickly, you can make a mold with reusable Oyumaru/"Blue Stuff" mold material. If you've never heard of it or have never used it before: Oyumaru is a thermal plastic that's solid at room temperature (and doesn't stick to anything) but is very soft and pliable when soaked in boiling water for a few minutes.

You can lay down a flat 'plate' of Oyumaru and then 'roll' an assembled marine bike tire on the top to make a track impression and once the Oyumaru has cooled back to room temperature you can fill the track with green stuff to make a reusable 'stamp' that you can use to make impressions on your basing material without messing up one of your tires.

That's a really ingenious idea. It just so happens that I do in fact have a fresh pack of blue stuff handy that I was saving to mold green stuff copies of the Deathwatch icons that come in the upgrade kit for these bikes.

So I'll give this a try and let you know how things go!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished this bladeguard ancient(?). Would have gone harder on the cloak but he probably won't end up in my final list lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not a huge thing but I was proud that I fixed this boring 5-minute whatever of a paintjob for Red Skull, and turned him into a much better mini with a neat glow effect from the cosmic cube.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok I think I figured out how much snow to put on the tires. Also hooray I'm done with the squad/.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bucnasti posted:

This guy has been sitting on my desk half painted for almost two years. I finally finished him up. Pretty happy with how he turned out.

I went kinda nuts with decals because I really wanted it to look like a proper fighting vehicle with serial numbers and maintenance markings.

His weapons on both arms are magnetized.

Everything about this is so clean.

I’m going to stroke out in jealousy over those caution stripes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The light purp to dark purp transitions on that big boi are really fantastic.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

a... are your space marines saints row themed? :aaa:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-post from AoS:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

a... are your space marines saints row themed? :aaa:

That was my original plan but at the time when I started the army nobody was making fleur de les bits and decals. Since I had found some cool lion head shoulder pads and rampant lion bits I went with a royal lion theme and eventually landed on the name “Pride Lords”.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat, shoulda foreseen the Sisters of Battle line refresh cause you can get Fleurs de Lis everywhere now

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I've seen brush chat over the past few days and people mentioning ordering their Rosemary & Co. brushes from England. I did the same thing last year and when I got them, there was a note saying I can buy them from their US distributer Windriver Arts. Here's the link. You have to email them or call to order, their website hasn't joined the 2000s yet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Have a few more steps for these guys, and noticed a missing detail on the front left biker's helmet. I'll dirty them up and wash them after I apply the transfers, which will hopefully be arriving soon!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I've found something weird with my masters brush cleaner, little hard balls all over inside it. I scraped some out, here's one with a ballpoint pen for scale.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It is just some sort of crystal formation. You've got some weird combination of soluble salts or some other molecules that can form a crystal structure as they precipitate out of the mixture. You can use cheesecloth to periodically strain them out.

My assumption here is that this is old and well used brush cleaner in a jar or similar container. Not brand new.

I get them in my professional artistic practice, the ones I get form dirty green semi-transparent hexagons.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Two more KDM Prologue survivors finished.

Hero shot:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Brush Talk:
I got a full set of Bomb Wick brushes from Monument Hobbies recently, I'm going to use them on my next project (once I decide what that will be) and then I'll let you all know how they did.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Group shot of my outriders. My LGS asked for the picture to put on their facebook and i feel pretty honored by it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The final version of the snow came out really nice!

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
It'sa crosspost

Major Spag posted:

I bring the ham:

Blood Angel IXth Legion Command Squad/Legion Terminators with Terminator Praetor

I even magnetized the banner:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Major Spag posted:

It'sa crosspost

These are great, that red is super rich without looking cartoony like a lot BA do.

Also, what are you using for a backdrop? I've been playing around with a few cloth options but they catch light in weird ways and have visible texture that I really don't like.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
After a solid 5 months without any motivation to paint, I finally got back into it this week. Here are my first two finished models of the new year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

that's a v cool necron color scheme and execution of it

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

These are great, that red is super rich without looking cartoony like a lot BA do.

Also, what are you using for a backdrop? I've been playing around with a few cloth options but they catch light in weird ways and have visible texture that I really don't like.

Thanks. The backdrop was one I found online and printed on a large piece of printer paper. I need a new one to do proper photos since this one is slowly starting to accrue tears and folds.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I finally finished Grumlok & Gazbag. I did my best but had to rush the end of the job because this mini was for a friend and there was a dead line as to when I could see him. So it's missing quite a bit of finishing touches, but from afar it looks very acceptable.

I'm not sure why my lightbox shots suck so much, I'll read a couple of articles on how to tweak this because ugh.

I'm quite happy for the base to be honest. Loving that leaves puncher from GSW!

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Furism posted:

I finally finished Grumlok & Gazbag. I did my best but had to rush the end of the job because this mini was for a friend and there was a dead line as to when I could see him. So it's missing quite a bit of finishing touches, but from afar it looks very acceptable.

I'm not sure why my lightbox shots suck so much, I'll read a couple of articles on how to tweak this because ugh.

I'm quite happy for the base to be honest. Loving that leaves puncher from GSW!

I love that base especially the three different patches of flowers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that's a beautiful base job. The flowers and different color grasses look sweet.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So I finished off my last models with basing last night. I recently shared my heldrake so I won't share that one again with a base, but I have:

Daemon Prince. His right arm is magnetized so I have all his weapon options I can use

Shaman that I got mainly to fill out points and to have a psychic character that isn't a warlord for doing psychic secondaries. I kind of don't like Tzaangors that much, so he was just a very quick job I did while waiting for paint to dry on the Daemon Prince

Helbrute. Really proud of this guy. I magnetized all his weapon options except for the helbrute hammer. The plasma gun is actually tesseract glow painted over white, and I think it is a real easy way to do plasma and looks sharp. Also for the first time I tried to make his feet look like they've been covered by dust from the terrain by drybrushing the lower limbs with the paint I used for the base. I've never done this before, so hope it turned out well. I wanted to try it on him, because I will be doing the same thing on the tank tread area on my next project...

My next project. I am going to try and batch paint these three. Once I get them done I'll have almost 2k worth of Thousand Sons. It was 2k points, but thanks to the recent point changes the helbrute became much cheaper, depending on the loadout.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mikey Purp posted:

After a solid 5 months without any motivation to paint, I finally got back into it this week. Here are my first two finished models of the new year.

That purple looks great.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Werix posted:

So I finished off my last models with basing last night. I recently shared my heldrake so I won't share that one again with a base, but I have:

Daemon Prince. His right arm is magnetized so I have all his weapon options I can use

Shaman that I got mainly to fill out points and to have a psychic character that isn't a warlord for doing psychic secondaries. I kind of don't like Tzaangors that much, so he was just a very quick job I did while waiting for paint to dry on the Daemon Prince

Helbrute. Really proud of this guy. I magnetized all his weapon options except for the helbrute hammer. The plasma gun is actually tesseract glow painted over white, and I think it is a real easy way to do plasma and looks sharp. Also for the first time I tried to make his feet look like they've been covered by dust from the terrain by drybrushing the lower limbs with the paint I used for the base. I've never done this before, so hope it turned out well. I wanted to try it on him, because I will be doing the same thing on the tank tread area on my next project...

My next project. I am going to try and batch paint these three. Once I get them done I'll have almost 2k worth of Thousand Sons. It was 2k points, but thanks to the recent point changes the helbrute became much cheaper, depending on the loadout.

These are all really nice. IMO you could go even heavier with the base’s color on the feet of your Helbrute if you want, but that’s just my personal preference.

Also GJ magnetizing; I’m currently magnetizing a Forgefiend/Maulerfiend kit, and it’s a lot of work, so much respect for what you’ve magnetized.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

TotalHell posted:

These are all really nice. IMO you could go even heavier with the base’s color on the feet of your Helbrute if you want, but that’s just my personal preference.

Also GJ magnetizing; I’m currently magnetizing a Forgefiend/Maulerfiend kit, and it’s a lot of work, so much respect for what you’ve magnetized.

Thanks a lot. I might go heavier when I get to the tank treads. I haven't magnetized too much, and not all of it has gone well. I originally planned to magnetize the wings on the daemon prince, and well, due to overzealous use of super glue, one wing got glued in, so that settled that. You can also see in the bottom picture I magnetized the weapon options for the predator, although the magnet in the right sponson isn't totally flat and the gun is kind of angled (you can't see it in that picture).

If you, or anyone, is ever thinking of magnetizing a helbrute, I would totally recommend this playlist on youtube. Really shows how to do it step by step. Only thing I did was use super glue instead of epoxy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I need to hit the left-most one's tentacles with some 'Ardcoat, but overall I think I like that one the least. Trying to decide between the two based ones; all white with metallic yellow-green helmets, knees and toes, or metallic green armor with white shoulders and knees. Hummm.

The hard part is that their armor is all so different. Left guy has different / less trim around his chest which really changes things, I think.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I got 2/1/0 brushes from the Da Vinci Maestro series (I remembered ordering Rosemary and Co but whatever, whoops), and... ok, god drat it, these brushes make a world of difference. Good paint flow, no struggling with a curled tip, it's just... better.

Finished up a couple Panoceania Fusiliers last night and the blending/highlighting was just a dream with those new brushes compared to my Michaels/Target cheapos.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty happy with this dude and how he turned out. Four more Marcher World models to paint.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LeBigAristotle/status/1354820183056031744?s=20

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
How did I do, Dad?

[timg]https://imgur.com/aE99eiR[/timg]

Just realized that I can see greenstuff where I magnetized the arms. Ugh!

Dang how do I maked thumbnail

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SERPUS posted:

Dang how do I maked thumbnail

Right click --> Copy Image Location

Then post the URL in a [timg] tag (with the closing [/timg] too)