Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You could probably DIY it with like three bucks of grip tape and an exacto knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The magnet ring in the iPhone 12 potentially tripping pace makers if you keep the phone in your shirt pocket is a pretty hilarious oversight.
All iPhones :eng101:

quote:

Medical device interference
iPhone contains magnets as well as components and radios that emit electromagnetic fields. These magnets and electromagnetic fields may interfere with medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators.

Though all iPhone 12 models contain more magnets than prior iPhone models, they’re not expected to pose a greater risk of magnetic interference to medical devices than prior iPhone models.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I have no idea who this guy is how the gently caress do I get him off my phone? There’s no option to undownload the thing.

E: oh god he’s on my watch too. I’m getting U2-like PTSD

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 28, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s part of Fitness+ so you did opt in a little.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.kare11.com/amp/article/...3a-0f211a27799a

May wanna go ahead and update if you haven’t already.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the rear camera on my 12 mini now doesn't turn on (just a black screen) - anyone else had this?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shawn Mendez - Time To Walk is the best Christian Rock album of 1997 :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does the download and install button not actually install it?

Like its dumb I have to go and hit the install button.

It should just stay download and prepare!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

With AppleTV+ keeping getting the free trial extended, it is really making the lowest level Apple One bundle not much of a benefit. Apple Music + Apple Arcade + Apple TV+ 50 GB iCloud is $10 + $5 + $0 + $1 = $16 and the bundle is $15.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Why does the download and install button not actually install it?

Like its dumb I have to go and hit the install button.

It should just stay download and prepare!

The same reason “update automatically” doesn’t actually update automatically :v:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I couldn't get my phone to update to 14.4 so I had to use Recovery Mode. Anyone who's ever used Update through Recovery Mode - is it normal for the phone to do a long "attempting data recovery" process after updating? Eventually it rebooted and everything was back to normal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The same reason “update automatically” doesn’t actually update automatically :v:

Fair enough!

I’ve noticed it takes a drat long time for that auto update to actually kick in too.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Fair enough!

I’ve noticed it takes a drat long time for that auto update to actually kick in too.
Heh, yeah, I had 14.4 sitting on my update page and it literally said something like “this update will be installed tonight” and, welp, it sure didn’t get installed for 2 nights in a row. Why you gotta do me like that, Tim Apple?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there any way to change the stocks widget to show a different stock? Kinda defeats the purpose of the widget if it will only show apple stock. Looking online I only see directions on how to edit the watch list.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

fourwood posted:

Heh, yeah, I had 14.4 sitting on my update page and it literally said something like “this update will be installed tonight” and, welp, it sure didn’t get installed for 2 nights in a row. Why you gotta do me like that, Tim Apple?

This has never worked for me or anyone I know, and it makes me wonder if it works at all.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Evis posted:

This has never worked for me or anyone I know, and it makes me wonder if it works at all.
Yeah that line seems to be a lie. After a while (days) it will usually pop up a thing saying it’ll install it tonight, and make me input my PIN to confirm. Then it’ll work. But how do you force it to do that? :iiam:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

Is there any way to change the stocks widget to show a different stock? Kinda defeats the purpose of the widget if it will only show apple stock. Looking online I only see directions on how to edit the watch list.

You star them in the stocks app I think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I much prefer auto update the slow way it is now (when it works at all, of course) to when the feature first hit beta and it would just instantly update your phone the first chance it would get and next thing you know your alarm isn't going off that same morning because that is a bug in the latest update.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I stopped letting my phone update over night for that exact reason. Nearly lost my job twice because an iOS update hosed up the clock app of all things.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, unattended updates are loving awful because the device is basically bricked until you re-enter your PIN

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I get annoyed because I work nights and it seems like I can’t change the auto update time to not be 2-4 am.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, unattended updates are loving awful because the device is basically bricked until you re-enter your PIN

I don't understand why alarms wouldn't work even without logging in

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'm on my third replacement iPhone X screen in 2.5 years, and started getting phantom touches again tonight. Is it possible to talk a Genius Bar person into giving a free or heavily discounted upgrade to an 11 or 12 rather than replacing the screen? This poo poo is getting old.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just broke the back to my iPhone 12 Pro while on the can. Was reaching for the top left and it slipped out of my hands and hit my Withings scale. Feels so stupid and with AppleCare I think it's still $100. May just get a MagSafe case and say that's my punishment for going naked on my phone.

To that end, have the Amazon knock-offs for the Apple clear case come along enough to where they're worth checking out? I don't have any MagSafe accessories just yet and have a magnet puck adhered to the dashboard of my car that I used to use with a plate in the case. I'm guessing that all of these MagSafe rings are too big for these pucks, unless a portion of it can adhere sufficiently.

Any recommendations/thoughts? I'm already going to the Apple Store today to get my AirPods swapped under that program and could easily pick up the official clear case but Amazon reviews saying that it's very slippery.

Appreciate any input.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Back to True Tone - I really like it on my iPhone 11 which is LCD but I hate it on all the OLED phones and the Macs. It yellows the poo poo out of the OLED devices.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cozmosis posted:

Back to True Tone - I really like it on my iPhone 11 which is LCD but I hate it on all the OLED phones and the Macs. It yellows the poo poo out of the OLED devices.

Shrug, I have an iPhone 11 Pro which is OLED and I like True Tone, seems to make things less harsh. Sure it yellows the color temperature but that's just.... how it works. I totally get preferring a cooler more neutral color temp though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
See, but I thought the point was to match the ambient lighting around you. If you're in a room with cool white lighting, shouldn't the screen also be cool white? Yet it still seems to just yellow the screen. What I'd prefer is to have it be a neutral white at all times.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sourdough posted:

I don't understand why alarms wouldn't work even without logging in

This is the intended effect but it is a bug that has popped up more than once.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

With AppleTV+ keeping getting the free trial extended, it is really making the lowest level Apple One bundle not much of a benefit. Apple Music + Apple Arcade + Apple TV+ 50 GB iCloud is $10 + $5 + $0 + $1 = $16 and the bundle is $15.

I'm on the $30 bundle and got an email today from Apple that said they're crediting back the $4.99 price of Apple TV+ to my account while it's otherwise free.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

desperately trying to prevent people from paying for apple tv+

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's because a lot of the new content has been getting delayed due to covid. They've been doing the credit for a few months now. You'l get it if you sub to apple TV+ in some form.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not having a back catalogue of existing stuff has probably bitten them harder than it normally would have.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Inner Light posted:

Shrug, I have an iPhone 11 Pro which is OLED and I like True Tone, seems to make things less harsh. Sure it yellows the color temperature but that's just.... how it works. I totally get preferring a cooler more neutral color temp though.

The degree to which it does it on the OLED seems extreme to me - it like, jaundices the entire screen. I had to turn it off on the 12 Pro Max to match the True Tone on-LCD of the 11. Perhaps it was just my particular phone but the difference was dramatic.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I need some Goonsplaining to help talk me down off the ledge.
My iPhone 8 died ten days ago, and so having gotten enough life out of it, I decided to buy a new iPhone 12 Pro 256GB.

My last few iPhones I have purchased in person at Best Buy and that has been fine, efficient and no problems with the transaction.

Now ITYOOL 2021 CV-19continued, that means shopping online, going through the cross-linking to my Verizon account, putting in my phone number etc. Because it checks the carrier....
All is well, I pick out what I want, add it to my cart, and of course the choice is curbside, in-store pickup. That's really the only choice, if I want to get it at Best Buy. which I figure was fine too. I clicked [Place Order]. So, it was January 21, and I was surprised to see that the pick-up date was for January 30 - that seemed like a long time (I'm in Bay Area, just north of SF).

So, I wait 9 days. Until today, the pick-up day. I look in my email for the pick-up at store email that they informed me upon placing the order that I would be sent. I checked my email throughout the day. The store closes at 7:00 p.m. I live almost an hour away from it. No email. Nothing. So, in the mid-afternoon I call Best Buy (my local store), to find out if I can get more information than just, the progress bar picture that indicates that my order is somewhere between placing it and in "My Store" from their email. I suppose it's both a geophysical and temporal graph, but there's really no information on the x-axis.

I use the voice response menu; I tell it my order number - It dutifully tells me what my order consists of. I am on hold for 10 or so minutes, with what I must say is fairly peppy and not too nauseating hold-music. All very synth versions of some songs that I thought I knew, without vocals - but anyway... it goes to ringing again, I think I'm going to get a person. It goes back to music for 2 minutes. 3 minutes.... then I hang up.

I go back to the email, click on the link to find more details on the order, to the web. The Best Buy button "Find your order" doesn't work. It goes nowhere. I search and find that it is a bug since March 2020.

I give up and go about my Saturday. I come back and check email on my computer, lo and behold a new email from Best Buy,

Best Buy posted:

Subject: "Your order is taking longer to fulfill than we expected" -delayed order, boiler plate language. Then I read, "While rare, if for some reason your item(s) aren't available by Saturday, February 13, 2021, we'll cancel the item(s) and let you know by email
WTF?
And so, I come to you Goons, for three questions: 1) Is the Apple iPhone 12 Pro 256GB in short supply that it would take more than 11 days for one to come to my store? 2) I should just relax because Best Buy is just really lovely with the online thing? 3) What would you do next?
Thank you :tipshat:
It's harder than I thought it would be to have been without a phone for the last 11 days.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 31, 2021

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did you try to check other stock at retailers? I checked directly from Apple and estimated delivery time is Feb 9-18th. So sounds like yes they are in short supply

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, Covid has really hosed with manufacturing and shipping logistics. Even more so if you have a Just In Time model, which is what Apple's entire process is from raw materials to shipping.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I checked directly from Apple and estimated delivery time is Feb 9-18th. So sounds like yes they are in short supply
Ahh, no I didn't... Thank you.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, Covid has really hosed with manufacturing and shipping logistics. Even more so if you have a Just In Time model, which is what Apple's entire process is from raw materials to shipping.
OK, I'll scoot down off the ledge and relax....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Djimi posted:

Ahh, no I didn't... Thank you.

OK, I'll scoot down off the ledge and relax....

Question: did you get the gold color ?

Because the 12 Pro inventory is in stock last I checked , at least at Verizon stores (I’m an employee). But only in Blue and Graphite. Gold has literally been back ordered since launch , and to the same or lesser degree so has silver.

Sounds like you are in California , so I’m sure all stores there are more locked down in my area of the Midwest where lol Covid isn’t real, but I would think they should be able to ship it to you quicker than 1-2 weeks, as long as you don’t get gold.

Personally, if you don’t care about the color , I would recommend calling Verizon care, confirming the ship dates (I can see them in a few hours, I’ll try and remember to check), and if they’re shipping on time, cancel your Best Buy order and reorder through Verizon or apple.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That assumes Verizon is offering whatever deal Best Buy is offering — which I am assuming there is some sort of deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just got my new 12 pro max. Any must do/must have stuff for it?