Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I counted at least six cuts in that 20 second video, so 100% he can't play more than 5 seconds in one take. Add in the stilted/obviously-sped-up part, and the fact that everything's post-produced to hell in the DAW, and yeah, there's not very much actual playing skill going into this.

I dunno, this looks pretty convincing (although the guy does seem like a huge douchebag)

https://twitter.com/CaswellCharles/status/1354141980222099457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
frame 313 is the sixth and fatal edit. we see the guitarist's hand move back and to the left. back, and to the left. back. and to the left

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

gotta give it up for the guy who turned his guitar into an auditory pinball machine

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

poring over some rando's bleep bloop guitar noise vid like it's the zapruder film

But how will I know if I'm a good player if I don't bag on other guitarists? That's the yardstick right?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yaalll it is Mike Payton’s birthday and he is a king of the best qualities of stupid music poo poo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yaalll it is Mike Payton’s birthday and he is a king of the best qualities of stupid music poo poo.

being in bands with far more talented people?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm not even much of a fan outside of FNM and I once walked out of a Patton/Rahzel a capella performance I wandered into by mistake, but are we really pretending he isn't a once in a generation freak of a singer now? Dude is the Michael Phelps of vocal technique.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nobody's saying he's not a good singer

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t really like much of what he does but I like his taste in music and he seems like a fun guy to hang out with at least :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This is the dumbest premise for a video and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8U7BuYGuhE

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Lester Shy posted:

I dunno, this looks pretty convincing (although the guy does seem like a huge douchebag)
stupid music poo poo is going through the effort of looking at both takes in Audacity but he's rushing the beat repeatedly in the camera audio, presumably since the gate handles literally all the necessary articulation for the recording

The Muppets On PCP posted:

poring over some rando's bleep bloop guitar noise vid like it's the zapruder film
personally a big fan of bullshitting yourself better with computers but the need to lie about it harms the actual adoption and creative development of it, c.f. pitch correction

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2021

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

loving sick

That berried alive poo poo just reminds how much I dislike that whole djent/tech whatever schtick. gently caress even deathcore produced a couple of memorable riffs and breakdowns, this poo poo is just weedly weedly chug chug. I always lol when you can visibly see the oscillating of the lowest string tuned to like, b an octave down or whatever

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 28, 2021

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Cross posting from the UKMT.

Direct video link for demonstration. Why yes, I would like to recreate the ambient background music from Ralph Bakshi movies.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Snowy posted:

I don’t really like much of what he does but I like his taste in music and he seems like a fun guy to hang out with at least :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxc0Cp6rzCw&t=81s

I dunno. I've seen a few interviews where Patton just comes off as a pretentious rear end in a top hat.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
So how do I use gating to fix my playing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JesustheDarkLord posted:

So how do I use gating to fix my playing

Set the gate time to as short as possible

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lester Shy posted:

That guy making crazy noises owns, but how does he get it to sound so clean while switching from whacking the low strings to tapping the upper strings? Anything I play like that comes out super flubby, but I have zero experience playing stuff like that.

He's using really modern high gain tones. Basically the first thing a modern high gain tone does is lop off all the bass frequencies as early in the circuit as possible, leaving only the mids and highs, and then it distorts the poo poo out of those. That's how to keep the low end tight. You basically remove it, or severely turn it down enough that it doesn't clip the parts of the amp that generate the distortion itself (usually preamp tubes).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They basically just cut out the low fundamental which doesn't affect the perception of what note is being played

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ya, which is why when mixing bass guitar (or bass synth) the frequency content to focus on is higher in the frequency spectrum than you might think it is, because that's the freqencies your ear hears and goes "oh there's a bass there" as opposed to the fundamental which human ears are poo poo at hearing and playback systems are often poo poo at reproducing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's also a thing with frequency discrimination in your ear/brain being poorer at lower frequencies

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok guys after you thoroughly besmirched my boyfriend mike patton let me bring some higher/lower grade stupid music poo poo:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stringing classical guitars or ukuleles where you have to tie the strings to the bridge.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sends me up the wall? That'd be my Orange bass head cranked to maximum through some Ampeg fridge.

Oh, you mean metaphorically?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BonHair posted:

Sends me up the wall? That'd be my Orange bass head cranked to maximum through some Ampeg fridge.

Oh, you mean metaphorically?

I feel like that would send the wall down onto you tbh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's also a thing with frequency discrimination in your ear/brain being poorer at lower frequencies

Is this why I have trouble writing sub bass melodies until I move them up an octave?

This is also a big part of MP3 compression, isn't it? Lopping off fundamentals because they take up a huge amount of data and letting our brains put them back in?

GreatGreen posted:

He's using really modern high gain tones. Basically the first thing a modern high gain tone does is lop off all the bass frequencies as early in the circuit as possible, leaving only the mids and highs, and then it distorts the poo poo out of those. That's how to keep the low end tight. You basically remove it, or severely turn it down enough that it doesn't clip the parts of the amp that generate the distortion itself (usually preamp tubes).

Fascinating, this is unsurprisingly similar to how a lot of modern 'mid bass', 'foghorn' etc. sounds are produced in genres like D&B. And I will tuck it away in my head alongside other stuff I will never deploy because I have entirely lost the motivation to write music. :(

Re: Mike Patton, this was my first exposure to the guy (other than probably hearing some FNM hits on the radio as a kid) and from it I can agree with two statements made ITT, that he is "a once-in-a-generation freak of a singer" and also that he is "the king of ... stupid music poo poo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJjKwbJado

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that song arranged for normal people and slowed down a little sounds like a lost raymond scott tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZi_jFGqvCQ

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's also the math of lower frequencies causing flubby sound.

Each octave doubles in frequency as you go up:
A, for instance: 55 Hz, 110Hz, 220Hz, 440 Hz

The pure overtone sequence, however is multiples of the fundamental:
55 Hz, 110 Hz, 165Hz etc

Beats (that wobble you hear when two tones are slightly out of tune) are essentially the difference perceived between two tones in the form of constructive/destructive interference. This difference is literally subtraction, so if you play a 110 Hz tone and 111 Hz you'll hear a 1 Hz wobble. When those differences are small you get a tremolo, when they're in nice ratios you get, well, the sound of harmony, but when they're approaching the lower rate of audio range you get into pure mud territory.

Higher frequencies by the virtue of octaves have more Hz between them than lower frequencies and less prone to mud, not to mention speakers having a hard time accurately representing those frequencies at all. At least one bass booster plugin I know of and I assume more takes out the fundamental and boosts the overtones exactly for that reason - it gives more space between the tones for a louder and cleaner bass with more tonal space.

A0 and E1, a perfect fifth, has a difference of 41.20-27.50 = 13.7 Hz, so you've got mud in there even though it's a fifth

Same reason why when you're making chords you're advised to keep the more weird intervals in the top end and stick to simple ones in the bottom. More Hz between notes, even adjacent ones.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hz differences doesn't matter for poo poo, it's all about %octave

1000Hz is a huge difference for us but in the ultrasonic realm that's a drop in the bucket.

It's an actual physiological effect with your inability to perceive close differences in the lower frequencies.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
that's kinda like saying centimeters don't mater it's about fractions of a yard

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How the hell do you get black frets?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Death Panel Czar posted:

that's kinda like saying centimeters don't mater it's about fractions of a yard

Not at all, your brain doesn't give a gently caress about hertz but about ratios. Your cochlea is logarithmically mapped :)

Edit but that's a different thing than how low frequencies seem indistinctive

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 30, 2021

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Frequency ain't pitch and pitch ain't frequency. They're correlated to each other, but there are little wrinkles. The psychoacoustic unit for pitch is a mel and you can condense the range of hearing (20-20,000 Hz) to about 3500 mels. Generally, our perception is proportional. And you can also generalize that our perception starts acting weird at our limits.

The relationship stops in the lower frequencies/pitches. I have another graph in a textbook that shows how getting to 20,000 Hz also plateaus a bit.

For fun music stuff, I have a Reverb alert for "prototype" and "unique." Prototypes usually yield $15,000 Gibsons that do not appear to be suggesting anything new. Sometimes you get werid stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Cross posting from the UKMT.

Direct video link for demonstration. Why yes, I would like to recreate the ambient background music from Ralph Bakshi movies.

I like the idea and some of the sounds of everything tuning up and down together is pretty cool... don't know how much of this I can take though. lol

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sigher posted:

never wash your hands

donut
Feb 4, 2001

sigher posted:

Getting black frets is easy. Keeping black frets is the hard part.

Found source: https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumCyberpunk/comments/l814vc/my_johnny_silverhand_project_guitar_is_almost/

I can only assume the whole neck is painted, the fretboard looks rough. And the break angle over the bridge doesn't look promising.

donut fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 30, 2021

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not at all, your brain doesn't give a gently caress about hertz but about ratios. Your cochlea is logarithmically mapped :)

Edit but that's a different thing than how low frequencies seem indistinctive
ratios and the log scale don't become suddenly change just because you're referring to C1 and C2 instead of 32.7Hz and 65.41Hz or 34 feet 7 inches and 17 feet 3 inches

edit: VVV sorry just a simple country acoustical consultant and the phrase "Hz differences doesn't matter for poo poo, it's all about %octave" rubs me the wrong way, and would even if it came from trevor cox

if you have a tuning system and reference frequency and know the properties of air you can talk about this poo poo using any units you'd like

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 30, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Death Panel Czar posted:

ratios and the log scale don't become suddenly change just because you're referring to C1 and C2 instead of 32.7Hz and 65.41Hz or 34 feet 7 inches and 17 feet 3 inches

I don't honestly know what you're talking about, or why you're arguing with the dude doing a literal PhD in this stuff.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
arguing on the internet about fletcher-munson curves

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'd read that. Is it Stupid Music poo poo? It is, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Death Panel Czar posted:

edit: VVV sorry just a simple country acoustical consultant and the phrase "Hz differences doesn't matter for poo poo, it's all about %octave" rubs me the wrong way, and would even if it came from trevor cox

if you have a tuning system and reference frequency and know the properties of air you can talk about this poo poo using any units you'd like

Eh i get it, i was a little short about it. Hz are good but in reality it's a logarithmic system and doing logs in your head sucks so everyone's really lazy about it.

But notice, there's a reason why tuners reference their accuracy in cents, not Hz.