Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It sounds like their quality is vastly improved. My mom had a set of Nankangs on her GMT400 Suburban a bit under 20 years ago and literally all four of them died of structural failure. One started chucking tread at highway speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

It sounds like their quality is vastly improved. My mom had a set of Nankangs on her GMT400 Suburban a bit under 20 years ago and literally all four of them died of structural failure. One started chucking tread at highway speed.

I think it's a lot like Kia/Hyundai. Initially they were utter poo poo and regularly failed at very low mileage. They reinvested the profits and built up a solid car company. These days, they're excellent, affordable, and reliable.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nexens are still lovely though. OEM for KIA/Hyundai. I long for the day they are worn out and I need to replace them. I am semi-seriously considering swapping out the stock KIA Optima rims for some dark bronze rims to go with the dark blue colour on my Optima. That's way in the future though as the tyres likely will last at least 2 more seasons...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Whatever is on my Kia Soul EV is surprisingly fine in rain for a low-rolling-resistance tire. I haven't tried them in true standing water yet. I'm pretty picky about crappy tires but they seem fine. Lateral grip is not super, sure.
I just looked and it's a "Nexen N Blue EV".
Also I don't judge a tire brand by one specific line of tire.

Edit: reading the limited reviews available, sounds like they wear pretty quickly though and are useless in snow, but I have a car with actual snow tires for that.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 24, 2020

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nexens are still lovely though. OEM for KIA/Hyundai. I long for the day they are worn out and I need to replace them. I am semi-seriously considering swapping out the stock KIA Optima rims for some dark bronze rims to go with the dark blue colour on my Optima. That's way in the future though as the tyres likely will last at least 2 more seasons...

My KIA came with Hanoook Optimos stock and I still miss them. They致e been replaced with Michelin Defenders which I find shittier in the wet, and they tend to spin on wet starts at lights as well. I値l have to replace them soon, so I値l start shopping around. I usually check consumer reports since you can稚 test drive a tire.

I have Winter T/A snows on now, which are fantastic in the snow (though a really noticeable step down in handling vs the all seasons, but that痴 kind of a given). Way better than the oddball Barum Polaris winters I had before, although they were totally serviceable for the price.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping the Michelin CrossClimate 2s will come in 205/60/16s eventually cause they sound pretty good, if the hype is real. All season tires with true snow performance (in light snow) sounds pretty baller for a place like Seattle.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I was reading through this thread because I needed to buy a new set of all seasons. I saw that at least a few folks mentioned driving year-round on winter tires. How exactly did you manage that? When I was in Colorado, I had winter tires on from November to April, and the front tires were so bad by the end of it that I had to replace the front two before the second winter. Was that super abnormal?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Baronash posted:

I was reading through this thread because I needed to buy a new set of all seasons. I saw that at least a few folks mentioned driving year-round on winter tires. How exactly did you manage that? When I was in Colorado, I had winter tires on from November to April, and the front tires were so bad by the end of it that I had to replace the front two before the second winter. Was that super abnormal?

How long ago? I last ran a set of winters year round from 2014ish to 2017ish. I still managed 50k on them. I think they were dunlops. Back in the 90s I tried that on a BMW and got maybe half that mileage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

What were you driving and what tires? My GTI would eat the WS80's on the drive wheels over the course of a winter. I'm kind of planning on running the X-Ice snow's on my Prius all year just to see what happens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
At my current rate, my winters are going to last about 18 more years.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I didn't really look through the whole thread but I wondered if anyone had any experience with the, new to US market, Vredestein brand of tires. I have seen a few youtubers and Motortrend advertising the brand. Based on price they seem more towards the affordable side but are branded as a premium tire. Considering I typically use Michelin PS4s or PS All Season 4 but wondered if giving these a try would be worth it?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/brand.jsp?brand=vredestein

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Grassroots Motorsports has been testing them for quite a few years now. This is the second time that this manufacturer has tried to break into the north american market.

They've had good things to say and they take their tire testing seriously.

Edit: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/your-tests-vredestein-ultrac-vorti-tires-2016-mazd/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Baronash posted:

Yeah snow tires in Denver aren't necessary but it is nice to have them and not a terrible investment for me. I drive on them from Nov. to Apr. just like you said but they last the mileage I expect. In six months I expect about 8,000 miles so if I'm aiming for 40k then 5 years is about right, and that's how my General's are shaping up to. They're on an Escape and I have Michelin X-Ices on my Sierra that are wearing nicely. My wife drives more aggressively than I do, and neither are sporty cars. I have zero experience maintaining tires on a fun car, the closest I have was my Saturn that I burned through a set of tires because I was an idiot teenager.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Bridgestone weather control > michelin cross climate don't @ me

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

rdb posted:

How long ago? I last ran a set of winters year round from 2014ish to 2017ish. I still managed 50k on them. I think they were dunlops. Back in the 90s I tried that on a BMW and got maybe half that mileage.

This would have been 4 years ago.

fknlo posted:

What were you driving and what tires? My GTI would eat the WS80's on the drive wheels over the course of a winter. I'm kind of planning on running the X-Ice snow's on my Prius all year just to see what happens.

Nothing sporty, just a Mazda 3. I知 not sure what tires, I think I must have deleted the tire rack receipt at some point. Maybe I just got unlucky? :shrug:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hi. I need some advice
I致e got a 99 Ford ranger, rwd.
The tires on it are 10 years old so I need to get some new ones.

I知 not taking it off road, but occasionally down a dirt road or to the dump or something and I知 in Philly so we get snow in the winters.

Should I be going for all season or all terrain? I知 thinking all season but wanted to check with someone who might have better experience.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yokohama Geolander G015's.
Lightest snowflake rated all terrain. Run them year 'round.

Cooper Discoverer (sp?) AT4's and Goodyear Duratrac Silentarmors are also very good but heavy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If "the dump" is like mine where you could very well end up driving through some sloppy stuff, I'd probably go low end all terrain with a snow rating. Discount Tire Pathfinder S AT, Falken Wildpeak, something like that. You really won't notice much difference on dry pavement compared to an all season but you will notice a big difference in low traction scenarios.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm rocking some Goodyear Trailrunner ATs 235/75r15 on my ZJ and they were like $100 a pop on Tirerack with a rebate card. I've run them for this entire season in Ohio in 2wd with an open diff and they've been fine despite not being rated for severe snow.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WTRAT&tab=Sizes $357 with the mail-in rebate for a set of 4.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm in the market for new tires as the original Michelin Primacy MXV4s are getting low already.

I'm driving a Kia e-Niro that has 200 hp and 300 torques so that's why I'm looking at high speed tires. That 300 instant torque kicks in hard.

Tire size is 215/55R17. I'm in North Carolina near Winston-Salem so not in the mountains where they get more snow.

What else should I be looking at for all seasons? Is there a site that easily compares tires?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

I'm in the market for new tires as the original Michelin Primacy MXV4s are getting low already.

I'm driving a Kia e-Niro that has 200 hp and 300 torques so that's why I'm looking at high speed tires. That 300 instant torque kicks in hard.

Tire size is 215/55R17. I'm in North Carolina near Winston-Salem so not in the mountains where they get more snow.

What else should I be looking at for all seasons? Is there a site that easily compares tires?

I usually sort by consumer rating on tirerack.com
For example:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ndex=0#allTitle

Those CrossClimate 2s are supposed to handle snow pretty well for an all season (there's a new category they're calling all-weather which earns the 3 peak symbol), although I haven't seen quantitative tests yet?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Charles posted:

For example:

Those CrossClimate 2s are supposed to handle snow pretty well for an all season (there's a new category they're calling all-weather which earns the 3 peak symbol), although I haven't seen quantitative tests yet?

I just had discount mount a set of Crossimate 2s on my wifes crosstrek a few days ago. The old tires were bald, roads were frozen on the ride in and home because of an ice storm. They were an improvement over the stock tires, and overall pretty good. We get a foot of snow tomorrow so I should have a final winter verdict then.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Charles posted:

For example:

Thanks for this rabbit hole I dove down :shepspends:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm downsizing from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. The stock tire size is 225/45/18 on a 8" wide wheel.

My new wheels are 9" wide. Tire selection for a 255/45/17 size is abysmal. Especially for something with a high treadwear.

If I go to a 275/40/17, there's more options. Will the 1.3% circumference difference be an issue?
This is also for a vehicle that makes 180whp at sea level. Hence me looking for "lovely" all seasons and not Auto-X cheater tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
An issue with what? You'll have some small speedo error but probably not enough to truly notice

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Seems like 275/45 is too wide for a 9" wheel? How about 245/45? That seems to be pretty common.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

I'm downsizing from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. The stock tire size is 225/45/18 on a 8" wide wheel.

My new wheels are 9" wide. Tire selection for a 255/45/17 size is abysmal. Especially for something with a high treadwear.

If I go to a 275/40/17, there's more options. Will the 1.3% circumference difference be an issue?
This is also for a vehicle that makes 180whp at sea level. Hence me looking for "lovely" all seasons and not Auto-X cheater tires.

you could also try 235/45R17, -2.7% difference in diameter but a bit of a stretch on a 9" wide wheel.

otherwise 245/45R17 as jamal mentioned is better, at -1.2% difference in diameter.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
245/45/17 is common because SN95 and New Edge Mustangs use that size.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Michelin X-Ice Snow report:

They work. I made it about halfway up my street before "parking" there since it looked even worse up ahead. Not plowed but it looks like that crew with the bobcat in the background had driven down there maybe? The Prius is a loving tank and I'm blown away that it made it as far as it did with how invasive the traction control is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice, the videos I watched made them seem really good.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hi. I need some advice
I致e got a 99 Ford ranger, rwd.
The tires on it are 10 years old so I need to get some new ones.

I知 not taking it off road, but occasionally down a dirt road or to the dump or something and I知 in Philly so we get snow in the winters.

Should I be going for all season or all terrain? I知 thinking all season but wanted to check with someone who might have better experience.

I was really impressed with the Hankook Dynapro At2痴 on my Freelander/LR2. Cheap, quiet, good road manners (for an all terrain). Maybe 1-2 mpg worse. We had proper snow in Scotland last month and they were flawless. No regrets on choosing them over a more road or winter biased tyre, but if I did zero off roading I would have fitted cross climates.

My wife痴 Fiesta sized Peugeot has first gen, half worn Michelin Crossclimates and once the worst of the snow had been plowed we cleared the foot of snow off the roof and took it shopping. Honestly, I would have still been very impressed if they were dedicated winters. When we got back a mini was stuck on our narrow hill, so I took the pug up a steeper, narrower and very snowy hill to get in, drove half over a curb past the now sideways mini half blocking our entrance, all with no bother whatsoever. I did use the landrover to unstick the mini though.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Will driving dynamics change too horribly going to a thinner tire, other than changing tire compounds? I want to go from a 265/45/20 wheel/tire to a 235/55/19 to wear some A/T rubber occasionally, unfortunately, I am stuck at around a 29.5" diameter tire or lower due to suspension members being close to the tire itself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo choosing/buying tires is such a pain in the rear end it's amazing. Sorry for the rant but goddamn it doesn't have to be that way.

If you need to buy an AA battery you're feeling :spergin:, you can go the the manufacturer and get the data sheet for their models:

Some will have different or slightly more or less information but the basic information on their performance is there so you can choose the appropriate type for your usage or even compare with a different manufacturer. For tires? You're hosed. Here's what Federal has for the 595RS-PRO:
  • Continuous central rib delivers straight line stability at high speed.
  • Dual circumferential grooves and V-shaped tread grooves channel water away effectively.
  • Advance carcass structure design ensures optimal roughness and contact patch.
  • Enhanced tire block rigidity and maximized patch areas grant outstanding grips and steering accuracy.

And 595RS-R:
  • Enhanced tire tread stiffness provides better grip,traction and cornering at high speed.
  • Wide V-shaped grooves maximize contact areas and water-channeling efficiency.
  • Steel tire cord and reinforced sidewalls deliver dashing cornering stability.
These mostly apply to both tires of course. There's a table with dimensions but how do they actually compare? What's the difference in performance between these two and another 595 tire? :iiam:

Ok but this is a niche budget manufacturer, let's check Yokohama's AD08R and A052:

Other than some marketing speak, that's all you get. Which one is which? How much traction are you getting in the dry and losing in the wet? At what temperature do they start to grip?

Fine, we still have the EU stickers. Here's the NS-2R and 595-Pro.

Well that's something. Noise I couldn't care less about, fuel economy is probably inversely proportional to grip, but the wet grip of "E" is definitely a concern. But is it actually a significant difference? After some research, seems that the difference is 18 meters of stopping distance from 80km/h between A and F, or 9 between B and E. Seems like a lot, but what's the total distance? It might be buried somewhere in the EU docs but based on other tests, around 30 meters for the best ones... so that's pretty bad!?

The last line of defense is the tire reviews of course. Just check the last tire rack test and buy the best one? Nope, they (and others) test relatively few tires so there's a very high chance the tire isn't actually available in your market, your size, or wasn't tested at the same time with another candidate so the results aren't necessarily comparable. Or they're just never tested at all. Here's a test of 53 summer tires, including something called "Double Coin" which took twice as long to stop in the wet, but not a single Yokohama, Federal tire and just one Kumho and Nankang. Doesn't help that you've no idea what's the difference between similar sounding models, so if PS4 is great, is PS3 almost as good? I don't know, and it's not like you can rely on subjective reviews either because 99% of the people wouldn't be able to make a reasonable comparison.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 29, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Once you're into the <=200TW area the ratings are all bullshit and just done to check a box for classing in certain orgs, it annoys me.

The kings of bullshit are the SC3R at 100tw and the A052 at 200tw, both are way outside of the normal window.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah tyre ratings are generally poo poo and doesn't tell you much. Not to be too :sweden:, but our car magazines do some drat good tyre testing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For some of them I'd be happy to even see the TW, in most cases it seems like it's not even listed and I only heard by word of mouth that the A052 is supposed to be 200 for example.

Many magazines or other organizations do pretty comprehensive testing but usually unless you want the longest-lasting tire for your diesel VW, the chances of finding a tire you're interested in are pretty slim especially in miata sizes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Grassroots Motorsports is for you then :) They focus on 200tw tires, and mostly ones that come in 15".

You can usually get a pre-read on stuff like that if you visit the right forums and listen to what people like Andy Hollis have to say.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I just wanted to follow up on my question regarding alternative tire sizes to 255/45/17 and that I am following goon advice of going with 245/45/17.

So it does happen on these forums that some of us do listen.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

McTinkerson posted:

I just wanted to follow up on my question regarding alternative tire sizes to 255/45/17 and that I am following goon advice of going with 245/45/17.

So it does happen on these forums that some of us do listen.

Just Google tire size comparison. There are a few sites that give u accurate demonstrations of what your loosing and gaining. The age old question will it fit? Sometimes you don't know until you try. For experimenting i reccomend going through a tire shop who if they want the sale won't mind test fitting a size and seeing if it rubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

McTinkerson posted:

What are you putting them on? The 255's are only a tiny bit bigger and Ford actually used them both as OEM tires on Mustangs depending on the year.

Man trying to find drag radials right now is a bitch. Discount Tire has been pretty useless especially since you can't go inside. I've been waiting almost a week on Belle Tire who supposedly ordered them but can't tell me when they'll be here.