Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sea Lily posted:

the upcoming Magic The Gathering MMOARPG sounds like it has a lot in common with Marvel Heroes if yall haven't seen much on that yet. F2P game, starts you off with a single class of your choice, earn currency through drops while playing to unlock other classes. it's a diablo-like focused on co-op stuff, too. just instead of gear you get card drops to build a small 'deck' out of that you draw from and play in the real-time combat. casting spells, summoning monsters that fight alongside you, all the card game stuff but like... realtime, isometric ARPG with friends. there's class skill tree stuff too, and you don't have to match the color of your cards to the color of your class so in theory there's a lot of freedom for crazy builds. possibly. need to play the game to really see.

it's entering open beta mid-March so it may be worth checking out. this feels like it could be the closest thing to a MH style game we get for a while.

Thanks for the head's up that sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Yeah I hadn’t heard about that game before but I know I’m probably gonna spend so much time in it if it is at all decent.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Might have to check it out. Been getting tired of mh to be honest. Thought I would cosmic every character but it’s getting to be a real grind now

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has strong potential for a squirrel based class.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Sea Lily posted:

the upcoming Magic The Gathering MMOARPG sounds like it has a lot in common with Marvel Heroes if yall haven't seen much on that yet. F2P game, starts you off with a single class of your choice, earn currency through drops while playing to unlock other classes. it's a diablo-like focused on co-op stuff, too. just instead of gear you get card drops to build a small 'deck' out of that you draw from and play in the real-time combat. casting spells, summoning monsters that fight alongside you, all the card game stuff but like... realtime, isometric ARPG with friends. there's class skill tree stuff too, and you don't have to match the color of your cards to the color of your class so in theory there's a lot of freedom for crazy builds. possibly. need to play the game to really see.

it's entering open beta mid-March so it may be worth checking out. this feels like it could be the closest thing to a MH style game we get for a while.

I played in one of the closed alphas a couple months back and really enjoyed the game. Not sure how much I can talk about it yet or if I should've even said that much. Magic: Legends is the name of it for people looking it up.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

just tell us how long it took to turn your name yellow

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Planeswalk today.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Pretty sure Magic Legends is gonna suck. It's being done by Cryptic, who have slid a long, loooooong way down in the 17 years since City of Heroes.

Also, Perfect World is in charge, which means there will be 17 different currencies, but only one or two will matter, and those will be strictly timegated, requiring players to reach for mommy's credit card as soon as they hit top level.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gynovore posted:

Pretty sure Magic Legends is gonna suck. It's being done by Cryptic, who have slid a long, loooooong way down in the 17 years since City of Heroes.

Also, Perfect World is in charge, which means there will be 17 different currencies, but only one or two will matter, and those will be strictly timegated, requiring players to reach for mommy's credit card as soon as they hit top level.

sounding more and more like the new marvel heroes

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Sea Lily posted:

sounding more and more like the new marvel heroes

well, I'm sold

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

but can you cosmic the thing?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wait isn't this the same game with the constantly-and-randomly shifting skills & hotkey assignments?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Signed up, let's go

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's not an heir to MH until ICR makes a thread and tricks half of us into playing it on day one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I hate this thread title so much because every time I see it there's that brief second of hope

I miss my Dr. Doom and Squirrel Girl very much

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I hate this thread title so much because every time I see it there's that brief second of hope

I miss my Dr. Doom and Squirrel Girl very much

I have a standing any time any day discord phone call for ICR and this whole group if they release a private server version of this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I give this game a try every year and it's just so..................not MH

It's not even ChampO or CoH

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Just trust in the server.

and I got faith in Magic Legends because PWE did Torchlight 3 and I am absolutely a connoisseur in bad games.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
What cards do I pick to be wolverine

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Hauki posted:

wait isn't this the same game with the constantly-and-randomly shifting skills & hotkey assignments?

Yes. I liked the mechanic, some really hated it. I wonder how it will change in beta.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
All settings and controls should randomize every time it's launched, to add replay value.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I am sad that we may never get another dev team that is as comically inept yet weirdly genuine as gaz was

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Erdricks posted:

I am sad that we may never get another dev team that is as comically inept yet weirdly genuine as gaz was

The only thing remotely similar is the Warframe dev streams. No hotdog eating contests but a lot of drunk devs now and then.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

RosaParksOfDip posted:

The only thing remotely similar is the Warframe dev streams. No hotdog eating contests but a lot of drunk devs now and then.

Honestly, the way they've been changing and updating Warframe is really endearing. They really care about their product.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I think you got confused and meant The Division. Massive Entertainment is like a clown car filled with incompetence and ignorance. Their awkward streams of pr-horseshit and flat out lies have to be seen to be believed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Erdricks posted:

So much of this game was a dumpster fire but it was awesome how they made each character have unique mechanics that were perfectly fitting the character. The juggernaut’s momentum stuff was goddamn perfect.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So much of this game was a dumpster fire but it was awesome how they made each character have unique mechanics that were perfectly fitting the character. The juggernaut’s momentum stuff was goddamn perfect.

Yeah, early on all the characters used mana or whatever equivalent there was then they reworked every single character to have their own mechanic. It was pretty great. Sure a bunch of the stats didn't work and the itemization was nonsense, but man the game had charm.

And big stompy tantrum men clearing entire screens full of maggia goons in seconds.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I miss david brevik getting drunk while streaming and telling us things that hadn't actually been announced or approved yet

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sea Lily posted:

I miss david brevik getting drunk while streaming and telling us things that hadn't actually been announced or approved yet
More games need a weirdo greybeard king dev to get sloshed on corn hooch and write checks that the rest of the dev team wasn't aware they'll be having to cash.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

More games need a weirdo greybeard king dev to get sloshed on corn hooch and write checks that the rest of the dev team wasn't aware they'll be having to cash.

somebody hook peter molyneux up with an arpg studio

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Remind me. How often did this happen, and with what?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Bloodly posted:

Remind me. How often did this happen, and with what?

Basically every night at twitch.tv/thejunglequeen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The best part of MH history, excluding boon parties of course, was when they announced Taskmaster as an April Fool and then it turned out to be real.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jedit posted:

The best part of MH history, excluding boon parties of course, was when they announced Taskmaster as an April Fool and then it turned out to be real.
I love you Taskmaster, even if they never really gave you a proper signature power, or a useful ult

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

I love you Taskmaster, even if they never really gave you a proper signature power, or a useful ult

It's me, the guy who went cosmic and beyond with Taskmaster. I'm on medication now, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Quill posted:

It's me, the guy who went cosmic and beyond with Taskmaster. I'm on medication now, though.
Taskmaster is the only character I cosmic'd. Good night, my sweet yellow prince.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I never even knew much about tasky but when they announced him with that video I knew he was gonna be a favorite of mine

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fond Rememberances Of Marvel Heroes:

When they said they'd run an XP Boost based on how many hot dogs Ryolnir (a large man) could eat.

Finding out that they had no automated system for events, and that each one had to be manually announced, started, and ended.

April Fool's Jokes that weren't jokes (Cosmic Prestiege, Taskmaster).

Being told that under no circumstances would we shitlords be allowed to drive the van from Punisher's Ultimate.

The game running like absolute poo poo at minimal settings, but running smooth as gently caress at maximum settings, and somehow using less resources, too.

I bet this game is the Holy Grail of Spaghetti Code. It should never have run, and yet it did.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

I never even knew much about tasky but when they announced him with that video I knew he was gonna be a favorite of mine

I still remember and love that you could call the Taskmaster 800 recruitment line and get a message/code for Marvel Heroes from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

TBH I think in my many hundreds of hours I only used an Ult like twice. Captain Marvel's for sure and maybe Moon Knight's. Because I didn't want to blow the CD and then actually need it more a minute later!