Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can tolerate the Cobra now but the P1X42 is still my absolute favorite non-magnifying optic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I can tolerate the Cobra now but the P1X42 is still my absolute favorite non-magnifying optic.

Love that sight so much except when I forget to change it to just the dot until I see it mid-fight.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
So how prevalent are hackers in this game? I'm still relatively new, but had a pretty sketchy moment that felt like someone literally teleported behind me.

I was in the village on the east side of the woods, and I heard a guy stomping around outside and then get into a shootout with a scav, so I quietly snuck upstairs, which I had already cleared and confirmed was empty, and waited to see if he would come in after me or leave. After a few seconds I heard a THUMP right behind me like someone jumped or fell off a ledge and then got shot and died instantly.

Now, later on another run out of curiosity I went back to see if maybe it was possible to climb onto the roof, or onto an awning, or if there was a good vantage point to pop me from outside, and nope. I didn't see any possible way someone could've gotten in behind me. There was also no way this dude somehow got into the building and went upstairs without me noticing. It also wasn't a grenade.

I was kinda pissed off because I was rocking the best gear I had and it felt super sketchy, so is this something that happens from time to time or am I just salty that some dude outplayed me?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Morshu posted:

So how prevalent are hackers in this game? I'm still relatively new, but had a pretty sketchy moment that felt like someone literally teleported behind me.

I was in the village on the east side of the woods, and I heard a guy stomping around outside and then get into a shootout with a scav, so I quietly snuck upstairs, which I had already cleared and confirmed was empty, and waited to see if he would come in after me or leave. After a few seconds I heard a THUMP right behind me like someone jumped or fell off a ledge and then got shot and died instantly.

Now, later on another run out of curiosity I went back to see if maybe it was possible to climb onto the roof, or onto an awning, or if there was a good vantage point to pop me from outside, and nope. I didn't see any possible way someone could've gotten in behind me. There was also no way this dude somehow got into the building and went upstairs without me noticing. It also wasn't a grenade.

I was kinda pissed off because I was rocking the best gear I had and it felt super sketchy, so is this something that happens from time to time or am I just salty that some dude outplayed me?

I don't think hacking level teleporters are common, there are these packet sniffer hacks that give people full map view of where everyone is that have been undetected for like a year now. I'm not sure how common they are but I imagine it's a fairly common.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think hacking level teleporters are common, there are these packet sniffer hacks that give people full map view of where everyone is that have been undetected for like a year now. I'm not sure how common they are but I imagine it's a fairly common.

Radar has largely died out with packet encryption. The variants that exist today are detectable, or use dedicated hardware....

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Morshu posted:

Were you killed by a scav or PMC?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Morshu posted:

To answer the direct question: Hackers exist for sure and you're going to have some sketchy deaths in this game. That said, it's gotten significantly better than say, 2 to 3 wipes ago. It's gotten good enough that many times you're going to have a real hard time distinguishing between real hackers and players who outshoot/outplay you - as you're questioning right now. It happens to all of us. Then throw in things like the game's desync, lag, and overall pretty crappy netcode and you're going to run into situations where you make it behind cover from an attacker but die anyways and it's going to feel super sketch like he shot you through the walls but that's just Tarkovs desync at work.

Lastly, even when you're sneaking you make noise. It's faint, but a really good player will still hear soft steps, especially on things like wood or metal. Or if you shuffle your feet, turn around in place too quickly and it will set off alarm bells to anyone close enough with enough experience to recognize it. It's entirely possible they knew you were in the building. As for lack of vantage points on your position, I don't know exactly which building you are in, but tricky players will know how to get an angle on pretty much anything in the game. Especially players with high strength. They can jump up to places mere mortals can't and get odd angles you wouldn't think possible.

All that said, it's really tough to say without any video.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve had quite a few eyeshots that I feel were kinda suspect and a single instance where I’m fairly certain I was on the receiving end of a teleport hack where I died to a head, nape while inside a storage container facing the only exit without heading a drat thing. Other than that I can reliably find ways to blame my own poor play. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Double post but Salewas suddenly take Hemostats to craft in the medstation today? Okay???

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is my first wipe, has there always been this gradual ramp up of crafting costs? Are the crafts at the start of a wipe generally the same as the end of the last wipe?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is my first wipe, has there always been this gradual ramp up of crafting costs? Are the crafts at the start of a wipe generally the same as the end of the last wipe?

My understanding is that they are tweaking crafting requirements to compensate for changes to how the "found in raid" status is applied to items.

Last wipe items you rammed up your butt hole kept the FIR tag, now you need to survive and extract with them, and this is causing downstream effects on the item economy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Double post but Salewas suddenly take Hemostats to craft in the medstation today? Okay???

I'm so loving sick of them increasing Salewa prices.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hemostat for salewa will screw new players on therapists first quest because the hemostat isn't available at trader level one. Hope they change that

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

I'm so loving sick of them increasing Salewa prices.

Meh. Early game put grizzly up butt. Late game. Put grizzly in rig.

Edit: Even before the change, there was little reason to run Salewa when you could make a Grizzly work in your kit.

Now there is absolutely no reason given that they basically cost the drat same.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 28, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jack B Nimble posted:

They are some of the hardest working devs in the business

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Meh. Early game put grizzly up butt. Late game. Put grizzly in rig.

Edit: Even before the change, there was little reason to run Salewa when you could make a Grizzly work in your kit.

Now there is absolutely no reason given that they basically cost the drat same.

Sorry, misspoke--sick of them cutting the margin on crafting and selling salewa!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not everyone has gammas. lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sinburger posted:

Last wipe items you rammed up your butt hole kept the FIR tag,

This hasn't been the case for at least 1 wipe before this.

Every crafting change to an existing item they've made has just been to drive up costs which is supposed to help "balance" things but really just fucks new players even more. It's the BSG way.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not everyone has gammas. lol

Stuff it in your rig then, whatever.

I usually run a WTRig which is 10k.

Stuff grizzly in the 2x2, and now you don't need to worry about anything short of a blacked out limb.

Never pay rapist money for heals buy grizzly, use it to heal, put the remaining grizzly on you for your next run.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Remember when Beta containers used to cost only a few thousand dollars? Now you have to scavenge all sorts of mil-tech crap. Or pay out the nose on the ragfair.

It’s usually easier to do punisher for Epsilon. At least in my experience

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Stuff it in your rig then, whatever.

I usually run a WTRig which is 10k.

Stuff grizzly in the 2x2, and now you don't need to worry about anything short of a blacked out limb.

Never pay rapist money for heals buy grizzly, use it to heal, put the remaining grizzly on you for your next run.

a grizzly is like 40k. not really worth it if you have alpha, considering a salewa + aluminum splint + vaseline (plus hemostat and cheese in rig) can last you a good few raids for around the same price.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

The salewa quest moves from "intro to crafting 101 first class" to "gently caress you"

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

a grizzly is like 40k.

No. It's not.

https://tarkov-market.com/item/Grizzly_First_Aid_Kit

Average price
24 hours:
28,748₽
7 days:
29,166₽
Price difference
24 hours:
+0.88%
7 days:
-0.57%

You buy one for ~30k on a bad day, use that to heal instead of paying rapist ~6k, now you have a 1500hp grizzly that is good for mindlessly mashing via hotkey from your rig. (You know as opposed to "Oh poo poo I used my salewa to heal a heavy bleed! Or the poo poo of why can't hemostat stop my light bleed oh noes" "Oh gently caress I used up my splint charges and my arm is still hosed!" )

If you don't die, your grizzly lasts forever. If you do die, buying a fresh one and using it to heal already brings it down to the cost of a regular salewa and any other trash you lost that you want to keep in your rig like hemo/esmarch....gently caress that hassle. Grizzly is best thing ever.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 28, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Grizzlies are gonna come up now, there's no way they remain the same price as a Salewa.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Grizzlies are gonna come up now, there's no way they remain the same price as a Salewa.

You'd think so...

But then you'd think it'd be 50k already given that the 5 meds required to make it are 10k each on flea....

I have no explanation for why the grizzly is as cheap as it is - but given the price it's at, use it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its because even with an alpha you can throw a salewa in your container and keep hold of it easily for multiple raids if you die while still taking in a docs case as well, only moving it out when you get something that will be worth more than it sold to traders. a grizzly is money gone when you die, every death, or a full alpha.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

or you take an ifak in the alpha and a torniquet that costs less than a bandage outside of it and have 3 slots free for markers etc

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Were you killed by a scav or PMC?

They were a PMC dude

Ice Fist posted:

To answer the direct question: Hackers exist for sure and you're going to have some sketchy deaths in this game. That said, it's gotten significantly better than say, 2 to 3 wipes ago. It's gotten good enough that many times you're going to have a real hard time distinguishing between real hackers and players who outshoot/outplay you - as you're questioning right now. It happens to all of us. Then throw in things like the game's desync, lag, and overall pretty crappy netcode and you're going to run into situations where you make it behind cover from an attacker but die anyways and it's going to feel super sketch like he shot you through the walls but that's just Tarkovs desync at work.

Lastly, even when you're sneaking you make noise. It's faint, but a really good player will still hear soft steps, especially on things like wood or metal. Or if you shuffle your feet, turn around in place too quickly and it will set off alarm bells to anyone close enough with enough experience to recognize it. It's entirely possible they knew you were in the building. As for lack of vantage points on your position, I don't know exactly which building you are in, but tricky players will know how to get an angle on pretty much anything in the game. Especially players with high strength. They can jump up to places mere mortals can't and get odd angles you wouldn't think possible.

All that said, it's really tough to say without any video.

Yeah I am totally willing to blame my lovely playing for what happened, it just seemed super sketchy and I didn't know if that was just a thing I should expect to happen now and then. I did have a pretty lovely time in-game last night though so I might just be salty haha.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Stux posted:

a grizzly is money gone when you die, every death,

Yes. How much money though? You buy a 30k grizzly, use it to heal, save ~6k from not paying rapist. So now at worst your grizzly is 24k.

That's not really something I'm going to sweat about losing.

But wait...there is more!

Lets say you took your salewa out and used it, well now it's down to 230/400. Oh poo poo now what....oh right, you get another salewa, put that fresh one up your butt, and the 230 in your rig just to you know..use it it up right?

Or you just keep pounding away at the grizzly raid after raid without a care in the world till that drat thing is down to sub 400....

You do you, but I think the utility and convenience of the grizzly vastly exceeds the cost which frankly everyone seems to blow way out of proportion. You guys will load 50k of ammo into a 150k gun without a thought - but oh man a 27k grizzly...I dunno - too rich for my blood!

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 28, 2021

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

most of the time you get a heavy bleed you're still in a fight. 5 seconds is a very long time in a fight. you could pop your propital in 2 and hemo later. Like, a grizzly is around the same cost as ifak+hemo+propital which is a loadout I would rather have and do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean most people in this game often have like, a 20% survival rate, lower even. so losing a grizzly that often is objectively more money lost than carting salewas/ifaks in your secure and only removing it for stuff you can sell for more than it cost. you can keep a grizzly in your stash to heal off raid with no risk either way over using therapist so thats null.

lets say you do have 20% on the dot survival rate. over 10 raids w grizzlys you will be losing around 240,000 roubles in excess that you have to make up with your two survivals. a salewa or ifak you can keep hold of until its used up, when it gets low throw it in the stash and out of raid heal with the left over or whatever. but you can either get 100% of the useage or only lose it when you have made enough money to replace it anyway. there is a really good reason grizzlys are so cheap and its because of this. even with a gamma theyre pretty annoying and outside of the starting couple i wouldnt bother with them over putting in 60 rounds of ammo thats worth more than the grizzly, a docs case, a good painkiller etc.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ixtlilton posted:

Like, a grizzly is around the same cost as ifak+hemo+propital which is a loadout I would rather have and do.

Dude, propital alone is nearly 20k. Ifac is 15k - and guess what - hemostat is now 20k - and was never less than 10k.

At best you're off by 10k. Currently you're bringing 55k of meds instead of a grizzly.

Yes 2s is faster than 5, but 55k.....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the tourniquet is like less than 1.5k just use that. but also the point of that post, im pretty sure, was that that will all fit in an alpha with a slot left over and you also have some flexibility over which parts you remove and when to make sure you are not losing stuff when you die without breaking even or coming out ahead. you could take a docs case, an ifak, and an ibuprofen all in an alpha, with a tourniquet in your rig and you are risking 1.5k each run. the grizzly in ur bag or rig is a 30k loss every time you die lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Use Esmarchs until you can buy Hemos directly from Therapist for bleeds. That's how I live.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
ya the problem is def salewas not 400k bitcoins and 180k fuel cans

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now I have not one but two reasons to hate bitcoins on general principle!

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

FileNotFound posted:

Dude, propital alone is nearly 20k. Ifac is 15k - and guess what - hemostat is now 20k - and was never less than 10k.

At best you're off by 10k. Currently you're bringing 55k of meds instead of a grizzly.

Yes 2s is faster than 5, but 55k.....

I stocked up on propital at 14k and ifaks around 12k and hemostat you buy 5 of for 2.5k from therapist vov

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pharmaskittle and I completed "shaking up teller" and "postman pat" on our first attempts last night, just walked right through both dorms and factory with zero trouble. I'm convinced this means that when we try to help our friend Goko247 complete the quests it'll be wall to wall PMCs howling for blood.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

god the fog in this game loving sucks

they have a really nice low hanging soup when its raining that kinda feels like real life and similar kinda haze thing when its windy, almost like real life - both are nice and atmospheric and let you work with it by getting higher and interacting well with lighting and still letting you see silhouettes quite far in the distance

then sometimes they just do blanket thick stupid fog like every lovely game used to have in the early 000s to mask draw distance that just loving sucks and scavs can see through and it fucken infuriates me why its in the game

I don't want to have to do scav runs and alt-tab while I wait for not idiotic weather to pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Qmass posted:

god the fog in this game loving sucks

they have a really nice low hanging soup when its raining that kinda feels like real life and similar kinda haze thing when its windy, almost like real life - both are nice and atmospheric and let you work with it by getting higher and interacting well with lighting and still letting you see silhouettes quite far in the distance

then sometimes they just do blanket thick stupid fog like every lovely game used to have in the early 000s to mask draw distance that just loving sucks and scavs can see through and it fucken infuriates me why its in the game

I don't want to have to do scav runs and alt-tab while I wait for not idiotic weather to pass

I'm not a big fan of when the super thick fog makes it so the inside of the Interchange mall is wholly enshrouded in mist, it looks too silly.