Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I was musing this morning about the death of SLI. Making that work falls on the game devs, yeah?

I'm wondering why nVidia wouldn't want to keep it alive in order to move more units. Did nVidia not push for support because SLI represented such a small amount of sales, it wasn't worth pushing devs on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Dell finally cancelled my MSI 3080 order from back in October. I was sure they would eventually deliver, but I guess not.

Can someone post the ATR Stonks Discord invite? I guess I'm looking for a 3090 now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've been waiting for a card from Evga since November and I haven't gotten anything yet.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I got a 3060ti XC3 from the day of release... debating selling it or signing up for step up & selling that.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I was musing this morning about the death of SLI. Making that work falls on the game devs, yeah?

I'm wondering why nVidia wouldn't want to keep it alive in order to move more units. Did nVidia not push for support because SLI represented such a small amount of sales, it wasn't worth pushing devs on?

SLI with modern rendering schemes has become largely unworkable. When you need access to the contents of the previous frame to construct the current frame, and the previous frame was rendered on a separate graphics chip with its own pool of RAM, or each GPU rendered part of the frame making it impossible to refer back to the entire intact frame, there's just no good way to distribute the rendering load between plural GPUs. There's still a place for plural graphics cards in a system, mostly in the context of virtualization or a renderfarm/raw compute scenario, but two graphics chips occupying the same PCB is a huge engineering and power/thermal hassle that's harder to cool and caters to a minority of customers anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

upgrading to a "faster" graphics card these days actually just buys you a bunch more parallel processors anyway. so instead of trying to do 2x3070 or whatever just buy the 3090 and it's the same deal.

if you're upset that you can't get 3090 SLI lol grow up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had SLI 7800 GTXs in 2005 that were immediately blown away by a single 8800 when the next gen came out. Even when SLI thought it was hot poo poo it wasn’t that good.

E:that computer also had a stupid expensive single core processor, the AMD FX-57. And a ticking time bomb in its motherboard because of capacitor plague. That thing was top of the line at release and basically e-waste like two years later.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for asking me to check my refresh rate, everyone. I don't think I'd set it on purpose, it was just auto-detected, but, it seems to be correct. I'm the guy who doesn't notice FPS's over 60 or 70. Not sure if there's a way of checking how high I can notice?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

Thanks for asking me to check my refresh rate, everyone. I don't think I'd set it on purpose, it was just auto-detected, but, it seems to be correct. I'm the guy who doesn't notice FPS's over 60 or 70. Not sure if there's a way of checking how high I can notice?

There used to be a web page that would show images at different FPS rates.

Like this I guess

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://www.testufo.com/

High framerates are really, really easy to see.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Test UFO.com is the real poo poo

Edit: ^ :argh:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

Thanks, that's a good site. I can notice up to 60 'easily' and after 60 it's very, very 'hmmmmmmmm.....'. There does seem to be a difference between 60 and 120 but it's pretty hard to tell honestly. I had to set the 60fps one to 10 to check to see which one for sure was the 60 one.

I'll check testufo now (edited)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sagebrush posted:

upgrading to a "faster" graphics card these days actually just buys you a bunch more parallel processors anyway. so instead of trying to do 2x3070 or whatever just buy the 3090 and it's the same deal.

if you're upset that you can't get 3090 SLI lol grow up

Bingo. The advantages of having more parallel processors sharing access to the same pool of memory outweighs having two discrete pools of graphics hardware trying to perform work on the same job. Frametime issues from one GPU taking more time than the other to handle periodic tricky frames became apparent, too. I played with a GTX 295 for a while, and when it was fast it was good, but it was always hot and not always effective.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hasturtium posted:

SLI with modern rendering schemes has become largely unworkable. When you need access to the contents of the previous frame to construct the current frame, and the previous frame was rendered on a separate graphics chip with its own pool of RAM, or each GPU rendered part of the frame making it impossible to refer back to the entire intact frame, there's just no good way to distribute the rendering load between plural GPUs. There's still a place for plural graphics cards in a system, mostly in the context of virtualization or a renderfarm/raw compute scenario, but two graphics chips occupying the same PCB is a huge engineering and power/thermal hassle that's harder to cool and caters to a minority of customers anyway.

yes, "temporal" strategies like TAA/DLSS or checkerboard rendering don't work across multiple GPUs since you need access to the last frame in order to work (and the two cards are working in parallel on different frames, so you can't just copy it over). These strategies give more speedup nowadays than SLI actually did.

Support certainly became a death spiral before temporal rendering became a thing though. Like it just was never that many players in the first place, and it went from maybe 10% like 10 years ago to a few percent like 5 years ago (Maxwell is really when it started being pretty much dead IMO, SLI 780 Tis were still a thing that people did) and now it's basically nobody (because it's not supported on anything but the top end cards anyway). So yeah they sell some additional cards but it's also not worth the trouble to try and keep hammering that round peg into the square hole for the 10 people who actually still use SLI.

What's support like on the AMD side for Crossfire, out of curiosity? Have they even bothered supporting it for RDNA era cards?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 28, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
ok, at TestUFO I can DEFINITELY see the difference between 72 and 144. Thanks!!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

ok, at TestUFO I can DEFINITELY see the difference between 72 and 144. Thanks!!!!

Yay for working eye balls!

I definitely notice it when I’m using these apps but in games eh.... I dunno.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Paul MaudDib posted:

yes, "temporal" strategies like TAA/DLSS or checkerboard rendering don't work across multiple GPUs since you need access to the last frame in order to work (and the two cards are working in parallel on different frames, so you can't just copy it over). These strategies give more speedup nowadays than SLI actually did.

Support certainly became a death spiral before temporal rendering became a thing though. Like it just was never that many players in the first place, and it went from maybe 10% like 10 years ago to a few percent like 5 years ago (Maxwell is really when it started being pretty much dead IMO, SLI 780 Tis were still a thing that people did) and now it's basically nobody (because it's not supported on anything but the top end cards anyway).

What's support like on the AMD side for Crossfire, out of curiosity? Have they even bothered supporting it for RDNA era cards?

I don't even remember hearing about Crossfire for AMD winding down - at the time it felt like Nvidia's announcement of SLI's departure served for AMD, too. The general tenor of things had moved in that direction for a while. This URL suggests it was discontinued with Radeon VII and never made it to RDNA, but is still nominally supported on Polaris. There's no word on Vega, but between thermals and the state of things on Radeon VII, I wouldn't get hopeful.

edit: Just the thought of running two reference blower Vega 64s in SLI makes my ears hurt.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 28, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

Yay for working eye balls!

I definitely notice it when I’m using these apps but in games eh.... I dunno.

It's more noticeable the faster your camera or things on screen move.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

I don't even remember hearing about Crossfire for AMD winding down - at the time it felt like Nvidia's announcement of SLI's departure served for AMD, too. The general tenor of things had moved in that direction for a while. This URL suggests it was discontinued with Radeon VII and never made it to RDNA, but is still nominally supported on Polaris. There's no word on Vega, but between thermals and the state of things on Radeon VII, I wouldn't get hopeful.

edit: Just the thought of running two reference blower Vega 64s in SLI makes my ears hurt.

Even if AMD still nominally supports implicit CrossFire, they only support it up to DX11 so it's de-facto EOL now that games are increasingly shipping DX12 or Vulkan only

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah lmao nice tease, post ur voodoos in samart already

edit: edited
Lol maybe... but getting nostalgic for glide 98 box now!

Fished it out and took a couple photos... I put it away with *everything* by the looks of it. I like the boxart.

Trying to remember when I last used this. Paperwork is copyrighted 2000, so I was probably using this around 9/11 :911: ?
Zero idea what I replaced it with... probably some sort of GeForce?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
as soon as I upgraded to 165hz from 60 windows felt transformed

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Even upgrading to 75hz from 60 has been noticeable, for some reason Hearthstone really takes advantage of higher refresh rates

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Hasturtium posted:

They worked via a passthrough VGA cable at the time - you'd take a small cable that came with the Voodoo, connect that to your 2D card, then connect the monitor to the VGA out on the Voodoo. The passthrough was analog so you'd take a small hit to your 2D quality. These days I'd just connect a VGA cable directly to the Voodoo and switch inputs on the connected monitor, but the late '90s were really different.

If you've got a spare computer with a vanilla PCI slot running XP or older, and wanna do some driver spelunking to run Glide games, have at. 3dfxzone.it still has a bunch of downloads.

Thanks. Firing up Mechwarrior 2 again would be interesting. I could probably put something like a Pentium 233 together. A lockdown nostalgia project.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I actually appreciate ya'll bringing up checking the GeForce settings for your monitor -- my ultrawide was set to 60 instead of 100.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

gasman posted:

Thanks. Firing up Mechwarrior 2 again would be interesting. I could probably put something like a Pentium 233 together. A lockdown nostalgia project.
Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries is actually playable just fine on modern hardware thanks to MechVM.

Really glad I bought a MSI 2080ti trio at the beginning of the year.. fighting dickhole miners (same stupid poo poo since 2012) and scalpers for 3080s sounds loving awful. I just realized I'm only using 2 PCI-E cables on it though.. 2 going to the 8-pin connectors and one of those splitting off to the third 6-pin. It hasn't caused me any issues so far, but I wonder if I should connect a third PCI-E cable this weekend. Can't seem to find any definite info if that's a hard requirement or not but given hwinfo has shown the card upwards of 330W maybe it's worth it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally, i would not attempt to fix something that isnt broken unless you know your PSU is barely enough or crap quality

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Fauxtool posted:

Personally, i would not attempt to fix something that isnt broken unless you know your PSU is barely enough or crap quality
Seasonic SS-1050XM2, so it's not the capacity so much as having to route another cable.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

future ghost posted:

Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries is actually playable just fine on modern hardware thanks to MechVM.

Really glad I bought a MSI 2080ti trio at the beginning of the year.. fighting dickhole miners (same stupid poo poo since 2012) and scalpers for 3080s sounds loving awful. I just realized I'm only using 2 PCI-E cables on it though.. 2 going to the 8-pin connectors and one of those splitting off to the third 6-pin. It hasn't caused me any issues so far, but I wonder if I should connect a third PCI-E cable this weekend. Can't seem to find any definite info if that's a hard requirement or not but given hwinfo has shown the card upwards of 330W maybe it's worth it.

Each PCI-E cable is rated for 150W and the PCI-E slot is 75W. You're well within spec.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shipon posted:

Each PCI-E cable is rated for 150W and the PCI-E slot is 75W. You're well within spec.
Good to know I can keep being lazy with it. Just didn't want to burn out a cable.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

future ghost posted:

Good to know I can keep being lazy with it. Just didn't want to burn out a cable.

I ran for 2 and a half years on a 1080Ti (250 W TDP) with one cable split two ways. Technically ran out of spec by 25W but I had zero problems with it. The spec is very conservative to account for lovely power supplies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s not the PSU internals itself you need to worry about it’s the cables. You really don’t want them to start heating up, I^2R is pretty brutal.

Still if you’re exceeding the limit by 25W only odds are the card is rarely actually drawing that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
props for all the good info about the sli question i asked. i have no plans on running a sick triple 3090 set-up. sorry to disappoint but was just musing about why SLI stopped being a thing. and now i know, so thank you, all!

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
LMAO ended up buying a 3070 for 860ish euros because gently caress it all, at least I'll have it before you can't buy it at all anymore.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

drat not only did the random whine come back, but now I'm getting black screens that make my video player crash and youtube freeze, guess it's RMA time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
With Navi and Ampere cards, power quality is an issue and you really should just run multiple cables. It can marginally affect stability and performance even when running within spec.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

luckly my power supply's pci-e y cables were both 6+2 and 6+0 so I just had to bust out the 2 single 6+2s

also I swapped my 1080 back in to get the 2070 ready for rma and the sound persisted, so I disabled all my hdds and found out the front case fan whines when it sits on the verge of off/on on the fan curve, come to think about it, suppose they are the same fans that came with the case, it's a define r4 so it ain't new.

so now I feel stupid as I've already asked for an rma, but I'm also still worried about the black screen thing.

or not swapped fan out sound persists, but I suppose this isn't a gpu problem

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 29, 2021

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any way I can get my laptop to run my monitor at a higher refresh rate? At the moment it's stuck on 50Hz, which feels shite. It's got an integrated Intel 630 GPU plus NVIDIA MX150. Any way I can force it to use the NVIDIA even for desktop?

Or could it be down to the cable? Primary monitor is hooked up with HDMI, but no idea how old the cable is.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There are enormous numbers of people who have new displays but don't realize their refresh rates are still stuck at 60hz, I feel like it's something Windows should do a lot better with. Whether that's a notification like 'new display detected, please check your refresh rate settings' or automatically doing it for you.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’ve had windows put my 144hz monitor to 60hz after game crashes and things like that. I check it every so often just to make sure even though it hasn’t happened in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Romes128 posted:

I’ve had windows put my 144hz monitor to 60hz after game crashes and things like that. I check it every so often just to make sure even though it hasn’t happened in a while.

In my quest to find a functioning hdmi 2.1 cable this would happen to me quite a bit but without the crashes. I would have to unplug/plug the cable for it to read right. Now I have a cable that keeps the refesh rate at 120hz as designed but I still check it from time to time because getting burned on cables has made me somewhat paranoid that it will reset again.