Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
About half of all of Fidelity trades are executed through Citadel, so if you think Citadel is some boogy-man you need to look elsewhere: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/applications/Q32020-fbsquarterly.pdf

Also, everyone is required by law to execute at NBBO (National Best Bid and Offer) so you may get worse fill or lower "price improvement" with certain brokers, but the price you execute at has to be the NBBO or better. People pay for order flow because they can take the other side of dumb retail investor trades and they have more confidence that someone sophisticated and well capitalized investor isn't trying to put one over on them. As a retail investor, payment for order flow lets you trade commission free. If you want to ban payment for order flow we are going to back to paying for brokerage services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If a clearinghouse doesn't have enough cash do handle a crazy surge in a single company guess what? You don't get to be a loving clearinghouse anymore. Trillions of dollars move through the market everyday and loving gamestop skyrocketing is just too much? gently caress off

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if robinhood bans me for buying GME and AMC i will face god and walk backwards into hell

- dril

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Im spite holding but not to spite wall street, to spite gogogadgetchris

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

greasyhands posted:

There is nothing really extreme or unprecedented about the trading volume in GME, it just caught the big boys with their pants down and they pulled strings to help themselves escapr. The system is more than capable of handling the trades, and the excuse they are using is absolute bullshit. 50mil shares of GME were traded today... 150mil of AAPL traded hands. Its complete nonsense

If a brokerage finds itself temporarily holding 10M extra AAPL shares for an hour because of shifting conditions within their clearing ecosystem, they are not so scared that it might lose 80% of its value during that hour, yeah? What I am speculating on is that some or several of these brokerages may have found themselves holding millions of shares of GME that they are terrified will go to $10 at any moment and choosing to stop buying (or any trading) by their customers until they have time to divest themselves of unwanted positions.

I could be way off base on this. What do you think?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

AMC shorts getting absolutely destroyed now that the covering has started. Up almost 2 dollars in the past 4 minutes

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

drunken officeparty posted:

Depending on what you are holding my gut tells me you'll be HANDSOMELY rewarded

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Robinhood blocked all my meme orders yesterday :smith:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

How big of an economic event would a Citadel failure have been? Are they a big enough player to have caused some significant waves?

Citadel would have been bad but they're basically unrelated to this, unless you're talking about how they made out (probably) like bandits getting in on Melvin capital cheap.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Gone Fashing posted:

wouldnt recommend vanguard simply because their app is really bad, i have some ETF shares in there and i hate it

I like Vanguard for medium-to-long-term investing in their nice funds and ETFs, which is also all free, and for all my retirement accounts. But the interface feels like something out of 2002, yeah. RH is nice for a quick glance at by portfolio on the go because the interface is so nice, but I pulled all the money out when they had that weird banking poo poo that almost looked like a liquidity crises (???) a while back, I forget what that was all about.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

man I wish my posting was powerful enough that people risked their own hard earned cash just to try to make me care

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ten_twentyfour posted:

AMC shorts getting absolutely destroyed now that the covering has started. Up almost 2 dollars in the past 4 minutes

BB is up 9%
NOK is up 4%
GME is up 40%
AMC is up 27%

These people want to lose money very badly and now that those precious hedge funds have gracefully exited or whatever the plan was today, they can do so!

Pump and dumps are so dumb. they WANT TO LOSE MONEY!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good luck meme stonks guys, FOMO that I bailed but am rooting for all you lunatics :patriot:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If a brokerage finds itself temporarily holding 10M extra AAPL shares for an hour because of shifting conditions within their clearing ecosystem, they are not so scared that it might lose 80% of its value during that hour, yeah? What I am speculating on is that some or several of these brokerages may have found themselves holding millions of shares of GME that they are terrified will go to $10 at any moment and choosing to stop buying (or any trading) by their customers until they have time to divest themselves of unwanted positions.

Every seller has a buyer, how the gently caress are the going to be stuck with the shares? Maybe i'm reading wrong but this makes 0 sense.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

jokes posted:

These people want to lose money very badly and now that those precious hedge funds have gracefully exited or whatever the plan was today, they can do so!

I have it on good authority that They Like The Stock

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've been trading on WeBull for about a month now and doubled my initial investment ($100). I bought in on NAKD today, I want some of that meme money. Is the pro-strat to just hold it until it goes sky high or what?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have it on good authority that They Like The Stock

I was under the impression that was a dog whistle they think will exonerate them if the SEC ever subpoenas their post history lol

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Closed my $3 AMC CSPs from yesterday today for an annualized gain of 35,916,851.27%.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like I've officially turned old, watching the unhinged crusade mentality and now moral panic from people who have no concept of how these systems work. I had to explain to a few co-workers today that, no, short interests don't bankrupt companies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

jokes posted:

I was under the impression that was a dog whistle they think will exonerate them if the SEC ever subpoenas their post history lol

Dude(tte) exactly; it's their version of YouTubers saying "I do not have copyright to this episode of Family Guy"

Or boomers reposting that thing on Facebook to protect them from identity theft

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

hahahahahha

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Gadget Chris, GME isn't $100? I thought it was going to $100 today genius man

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Behotti posted:

I've been trading on WeBull for about a month now and doubled my initial investment ($100). I bought in on NAKD today, I want some of that meme money. Is the pro-strat to just hold it until it goes sky high or what?

Sell like 400 itm puts

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

jokes posted:

BB is up 9%
NOK is up 4%
GME is up 40%
AMC is up 27%

Hedges are definitely not anywhere near fully divested from their short positions, especially in GME. With the amount of outstanding shares and huge imbalances buys over sells, the volume and price action aren't there to indicate those positions have been closed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

ah basically this
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/heres-why-robinhood-restricting-users-173049721.html

yeahp

quote:

ANTHONY DENIER: Well, it wasn't our choice. Our clearing firm gave us a call and said we're going to have to stop allowing new opening positions in the three names, AMC, GME, and KOSS. Highly volatile, and what happens is this is not a political decision. And unfortunately, it got political. I think, you know, I think it was once said that don't let any good crisis go to waste. And that's clearly what's happening here.
there is a two-day settlement between if you buy the stock today, those brokerage firms that you bought that stock on have to fund that trade with the clearing central house called DTC for two whole days. And because of the volatility of stocks, DTC has made the cost of the collateral of the two-day holding period extremely expensive.

And we just can't afford-- well, we're not a clearing firm, but our clearing firm simply cannot afford the cost to settle those trades. We cannot use customer funds to front that cost due to regulation. So the brokerages or the clearing firms have to go into their own pockets to do it. And they simply can't afford the cost of that trade clearance. That is the reason why these stocks are coming off.

Maybe this dude is lying but it sounds plausible to me. It would not explain the outright halt of trading (vs. permitting closing but not opening of positions) being reported by some Robinhood customers but it does explain why multiple but not all brokerages might have stopped customers from opening positions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Robinhood writes,

It’s been a tough day, and we’re grateful to you for being a Robinhood customer. In light of the extraordinary market conditions this week, we temporarily limited buying for certain securities this morning. Starting tomorrow, we plan to allow limited buys of these securities. We’ll continue to monitor the situation and may make adjustments as needed.
This was a temporary decision made to best continue serving you, and was not an easy one to make. We know it’s led to frustration and confusion, and wanted to provide some clarity.
As a brokerage firm, we have many financial requirements, including SEC net capital obligations and clearinghouse deposits. Some of these requirements fluctuate based on volatility in the markets and can be substantial in the current environment. These requirements exist to protect investors and the markets and we take our responsibilities to comply with them seriously, including through the measures we have taken today.
To be clear, this decision was not made on the direction of any market maker we route to or other market participants.
The past year in particular has shown us that the financial markets are for everyone—not just institutional investors and hedge funds. We’ve seen a new generation enter the market, and they’re sparking conversations about what it means to be an investor. We stand in support of you, our customers. Democratizing finance for all means giving more people access, not less.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If RH opens buying this loving thing is hitting 1000 tomorrow morning

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Wonder how much of the drop was pissed people liquidating their RH accounts to move to another broker and they'll be buying back in next week?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ten_twentyfour posted:

No, the volume is too low. This is people piling in after hours

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

Every seller has a buyer, how the gently caress are the going to be stuck with the shares? Maybe i'm reading wrong but this makes 0 sense.

It is not the case that each time you buy a stock through your brokerage you are instantly matched with a retail seller of that stock somewhere else. Your brokerage makes it look like that and it sometimes/often is that, but not always. Explanations of how the market work are usually simplified down to that, because getting into the weeds is unnecessary for normal people who just want to buy a share of apple and then log out.

In actuality there is a complex ecosystem of brokerages, market makers, clearing houses, so called "dark" pools, international exchanges, etc. that all participate in order flow and fulfillment. All of these entities are regulated and many are under regulatory restrictions that prevent them from just instantly handing off all liability to someone else for every trade.

It is also a system set up to make a lot of intermediaries a lot of money, more or less invisibly to the retail investor. There are cogs in the system that are there for legacy reasons more than actual necessity. As many parts of the system have gotten more efficient (for example, narrowing bid/ask), the micropennies to pick up by intermediaries have become scarcer, and new strategies have developed by these actors to find their profits.

This is what I'm talking about when I push back on the narrative that oh it's all so simple, bingo bango if these companies tell you you can't buy shares it can only be because they are trying to manipulate the price of the stock, for <handwaving> fat cat reasons or whatever.

Maybe so. There's plenty of that poo poo around. But also maybe Anthony Denier is telling the truth that DTC is on the hook for significant collateral they don't want to or can't hold and so they pushed back on their customers (certain brokerages) to stop permitting new buy positions.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I don't think they're going to allow that to happen OP

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It would add a glorious twist to the story that the hedgies had indeed doubled down at $420.69.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gone Fashing posted:

fidelity, allegedly. it looked like i could buy GME stock all day there

Yeah, can confirm Fidelity still allows the memes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Robinhood writes,

It’s been a tough day, and we’re grateful to you for being a Robinhood customer. In light of the extraordinary market conditions this week, we temporarily limited buying for certain securities this morning. Starting tomorrow, we plan to allow limited buys of these securities. We’ll continue to monitor the situation and may make adjustments as needed.
This was a temporary decision made to best continue serving you, and was not an easy one to make. We know it’s led to frustration and confusion, and wanted to provide some clarity.
As a brokerage firm, we have many financial requirements, including SEC net capital obligations and clearinghouse deposits. Some of these requirements fluctuate based on volatility in the markets and can be substantial in the current environment. These requirements exist to protect investors and the markets and we take our responsibilities to comply with them seriously, including through the measures we have taken today.
To be clear, this decision was not made on the direction of any market maker we route to or other market participants.
The past year in particular has shown us that the financial markets are for everyone—not just institutional investors and hedge funds. We’ve seen a new generation enter the market, and they’re sparking conversations about what it means to be an investor. We stand in support of you, our customers. Democratizing finance for all means giving more people access, not less.

I don't even believe in the conspiracy theories but this is stupid.

What the gently caress kind of operation is the clearinghouse/Robinhood running that they can't handle a loving pump and dump on a heavily shorted stock?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mongeese posted:

Which SPAC should I buy from my meme profits?

FTOC
FUSE
BTAQ

Rolo posted:

These events are huge and important but I gotta say I’m starting to miss the chill SPAC chat thread.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

*crawls out of the rubble* ...yes

Nature is healing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/robinhood/status/1354786505873625091?s=19

Ha!

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

They just pushed a message saying they're going to allow 'limited buys" tomorrow. GME to $5,000?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

No, the volume is too low. This is people piling in after hours

You don't cover a multi-million position all at once, you will pay through the nose as the price skyrockets. They're covering in pieces and praying for downward runs in between.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mongeese posted:

They just pushed a message saying they're going to allow 'limited buys" tomorrow. GME to $5,000?

Probably they're not going to allow margin on it or something stupid. Like throwing handfuls of water on a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uh thread title again? lmao

https://twitter.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/1354890848270503938