Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Along the same lines I wonder if an alternate path for the murder mystery was cut by the developers.

Once you gather enough evidence to accuse Emma and accept the case file as payment, Alexa offers you a contract to assasinate Emma. But 47 doesn't say anything so after a pause Alexa is just like "oh well." It would have been neat to have an optional target even if you still needed to kill Alexa also. But I guess it's another twist of the knife for the global elite that Alexa's hand-picked heiress gets passed over.

Pretty sure 47 wouldn't accept a job from the regime he's trying to destroy, even if it's technically unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bradzilla posted:

Pretty sure 47 wouldn't accept a job from the regime he's trying to destroy, even if it's technically unrelated.

Could have done it like the Dubai opportunity, but on the other hand, it had already been done in Dubai

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bradzilla posted:

I mean, later on you get the option to reset your memories and go back to being a corporate slave, so it's not that much of a reach

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Apart from the sniper rifle that seems to have every perk at once, are there actually any "new" items in Hitman 3? Everything seems to be reskins of items we already had in 1 or 2 and I'm wondering if there's any scope whatsoever for runs of the old maps to be any different in the new game.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd be willing to bet you could use a poison syringe on one of the targets on the dance floor without anyone noticing.
I didn't try this when I played Berlin because I assumed it wouldn't work but I just tested it now and: it doesn't work :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pilchenstein posted:

I didn't try this when I played Berlin because I assumed it wouldn't work but I just tested it now and: it doesn't work :v:

Aw man. I thought it'd work because only a few "real" NPCs show up on the minimap there

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished the last level. Was going for a straight through story playthrough to avoid spoilers, then I'm ready to go back and properly explore them all one by one! I thought injecting Edwards with the serum felt like the 'proper' ending, although knocking him out with a frag grenade which then blasts his body into the air like a rag doll was probably the most amusing method.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jeoh posted:

I mean, later on you get the option to reset your memories and go back to being a corporate slave, so it's not that much of a reach

did you take that option though? hell no that ain't canon

Pilchenstein posted:

Apart from the sniper rifle that seems to have every perk at once, are there actually any "new" items in Hitman 3? Everything seems to be reskins of items we already had in 1 or 2 and I'm wondering if there's any scope whatsoever for runs of the old maps to be any different in the new game.

I genuinely don't think so. Other than guns there's just reskins. The camera is the exception and I don't think they added camera stuff to the old maps (probably would upset some people too)

I am bummed there's no new gadgets though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
That reminds me. They give you the no camera stickers in Berlin. Is using the camera an illegal action in that stage?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

decided to start from the beginning and do new challenges on each level in order and they added new trophies for the ica missions which surprised me

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

DalaranJ posted:

That reminds me. They give you the no camera stickers in Berlin. Is using the camera an illegal action in that stage?

If you use it in front of a guard they will start being suspicious and chase you.

I quite like the camera as it seems a bit useless to begin with, but you can move about in first person. You also stand up to use it, so when you're in a vent you can clip through. Also some NPCs keep looking towards you when you look at them through the camera, which might be useful for some unnoticed kill stuff.

I just wish there was a selfie mode so you can get some nice snaps posing next to people in the poison animation

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So do escalations give you points to level up the level? It looks like the most important level to get to 20 is the China one, to get that sniper rifle?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blind Rasputin posted:

So do escalations give you points to level up the level? It looks like the most important level to get to 20 is the China one, to get that sniper rifle?

I mean, you really don't need that sniper rifle. So its up to you.

I believe anything at the destination can add to mastery, although just completing missions doesn't give nearly as much as challenges. Are there challenges for the escalation?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
You need that rifle to do the "both targets with one bullet" challenge quietly, don't you?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pilchenstein posted:

You need that rifle to do the "both targets with one bullet" challenge quietly, don't you?

You're getting both guys into a room you can seal up. No one can hear any gun in there.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

On mission 6, I did silent assassin the whole way, and when I came out of the last cutscene my marker instantly flipped from green to red for no reason. I’m glad I had a prior save because I never want to play that level again and I needed it for mastery 5. Really annoying that that can happen.

I also can’t get the challenge to trigger for hitting the Sheik with a gold bar in Dubai. Does it have to be when no one is looking, or is it glitched?

Edit - or maybe it has to be a gold bar from the level itself, not the hitman 2 DLC one from your initial loadout?

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is it me or is the camera a little buggy? I must've taken near two dozen photos of Alexa during the family meeting but the challenge never popped up.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think it must be. I had problems with the voyeurism challenge on the same map and the seven birds graffiti challenge in berlin as well. It just doesn't seem to register you taking the photo sometimes because :shrug:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Completed the mission, got the challenge although it never popped up. Guess it must've been one of the hundreds of pictures I took. It would be cool if they were saved anywhere because I got a cool one when I put an explosive under Alexa's seat and triggered the family photo. Got a picture of the family Carlisle blowing up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nexus6 posted:

Is it me or is the camera a little buggy? I must've taken near two dozen photos of Alexa during the family meeting but the challenge never popped up.

Yeah that challenge was really buggy for me too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the consensus on hitman 1 mission 2 (World of Tomorrow: virus and bio-researchers mission in italy, where everyone speaks like an American)? I'm not a big fan of it compared to the fun Paris fashion mission, tempted to skip ahead after finishing it twice, but if people say it's great I'll explore more and try to at least finish the story missions that are recommended.

edit: also how on earth do unlocks work? IF you unlock a gun in one mission is it unlocked in all missions?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I would say the consensus is that it’s the best map in the entire series. Not my personal favorite but I think it gets mentioned as a favorite more than any other.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

redreader posted:

What is the consensus on hitman 1 mission 2 (World of Tomorrow: virus and bio-researchers mission in italy, where everyone speaks like an American)? I'm not a big fan of it compared to the fun Paris fashion mission, tempted to skip ahead after finishing it twice, but if people say it's great I'll explore more and try to at least finish the story missions that are recommended.

edit: also how on earth do unlocks work? IF you unlock a gun in one mission is it unlocked in all missions?

It's an amazingly complex map with like a million things to do. I'm not wild about the story mission but as a playground it's really fun to explore.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I really wish developers would quit with these “secret” funny ending things. This one in Berlin is absolutely absurd. I mean, how exactly is agent 47 supposed to get back to earth and meet up with Olivia like immediately after that? It doesn’t fit. Are we supposed to assume he snuck his way back down to earth? Assassinated them all? (Lol ok not even he is that strong).

I dunno. Maybe the developers don’t have as high an IQ as we’ve been led to believe they do? Maybe they just need to get real?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i demand only realistic mission exits from the game where you make guards trip over a banana peel then assassinate their boss with an exploding golf ball

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol in Berlin, my game crashes every time I try to pacify agent Montgomery with the cocaine brick

Really cool.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I really wish developers would quit with these “secret” funny ending things. This one in Berlin is absolutely absurd. I mean, how exactly is agent 47 supposed to get back to earth and meet up with Olivia like immediately after that? It doesn’t fit. Are we supposed to assume he snuck his way back down to earth? Assassinated them all? (Lol ok not even he is that strong).

I dunno. Maybe the developers don’t have as high an IQ as we’ve been led to believe they do? Maybe they just need to get real?

Maybe you need to realize it's a loving video game

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

redreader posted:

Sapienza is highly regarded as a map as there's lots going on and it works to the game's strengths (also it looks very nice). The virus bit is meh but the rest of it works very well I think. The mission stories are really good, especially those involving Silvio, so I recommend those. As an aside, pretty much everyone in the Hitman 1 maps speaks in an American or British accent and it's very distracting. You kind of get used to it, but the Hitman 2 (and I presume Hitman 3) maps are much better about it.

Yeah, if you unlock a weapon or gadget or whatever, it's available in all missions (though there is at least one map where you're not allowed to bring anything in until you reach mastery level 20).

EDIT: The worst thing about silly secret endings is that nothing is ever going to top the banker suicide one from New York.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

redreader posted:

The virus lab doesn't have enough variation but the rest of it is great. The level is far bigger than it needs to be for World of Tomorrow and gets a lot of use in side content.

quote:

Yeah, that's the point / benefit of unlocking them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bradzilla posted:

Maybe you need to realize it's a loving video game

I think he might be trolling you

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think he might be trolling you

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s already been established that 47 can fly by flapping his wings, so really he only needs to figure out where they’re keeping the flamingo mascot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tails! Where have you been?! We need you serving over at table three post haste.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the replies. I see! It's a different experience starting from scratch vs having a ton of stuff to choose from that you unlocked before, I assume. And yeah, the world of Tomorrow is just tough with the two people in the mansion, and then a schlep to get down to the lab and do the stuff in there too. There's a ton of the map I just have not looked at, at all! Maybe next time I'll take a stroll through the marina before starting.

I agree that the map itself is beautiful, but the story assassinations are just not as fun as Paris. I haven't even looked at the non-story missions at all.

Final question: are the tutorial missions from 2 the same as the tutorial missions from 1? I started 2 and it put me onto the beach mission, then the next mission was a fake boat mission for training, then the next mission was Miami. Is the fake boat mission from hitman 1 or hitman 2?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redreader posted:

Do not skip Sapienza lmao

Blind Rasputin posted:

Please stop trolling the thread

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

It’s already been established that 47 can fly by flapping his wings, so really he only needs to figure out where they’re keeping the flamingo mascot.

This is the info I was looking for. Must’ve unlocked that between saves. Thank you.

Lol on a more serious note, the ability to unlock challenges and then reload a prior save but keep the challenge unlocked is crazy exploitable. I try not to do it since figuring it out, but I’ve found I can assassinate the target and do a bunch of challenges, end the level of, say, a sniper only kill, then reload to before that all happened and still keep all those challenges unlocked and go on to do other things. Need that one more outfit unlocked but can’t figure out how to stealthily subdue the person to get it? Just save, knock them out in front of everyone, quickly switch into the disguise, get the challenges unlocked, then reload to before all bell broke loose. You still get the challenges unlocked. I joke about it but it’s just kind of nutso it works that way.

But, aside from that weirdness, I’m loving this game. There’s so much content and it never gets old. Just got to Chonquing and I’m blown away by everything about the level. It’s not ray tracing but it’s drat near the best demonstration of what it might look like on console some day. Berlin was so so awesome. Hunting down those individual agents and offing them one by one, getting that feedback through the earpiece of their handler’s fear and confusion ramping up.. 47 absolutely is the loving apex predator. It was like a John Wick movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

redreader posted:

Thanks for all of the replies. I see! It's a different experience starting from scratch vs having a ton of stuff to choose from that you unlocked before, I assume. And yeah, the world of Tomorrow is just tough with the two people in the mansion, and then a schlep to get down to the lab and do the stuff in there too.
What if you could kill them from outside the mansion? Or what if they were outside the mansion?

If you aren't doing specific things in the lab the easiest thing to do is to just drop the stalactite either by shooting it or by a carefully placed bomb in the garage. Non-assassination goals are something they experiment with to mixed success.

quote:

Final question: are the tutorial missions from 2 the same as the tutorial missions from 1? I started 2 and it put me onto the beach mission, then the next mission was a fake boat mission for training, then the next mission was Miami. Is the fake boat mission from hitman 1 or hitman 2?
The boat and Cuba were from Hitman 2016, the New Zealand beach mission was from 2.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Berlin as a map overall, but the part I absolutely love is when you take down an agent, and the head agent tries to contact them and realizes you got another one. It feels peak hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010