Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bellmaker posted:

Beyond the Sun looks cool and out of print, has anyone here played it?

It IS very cool. Really smooth playing action selection game, with a very thematic blind tech tree mechanism. Looks very plain, but a slick game through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It'll be back in print soon. Haven't busted it out yet because quarantine, but everything I see in the box makes me VERY excited. Beyond the Sun gonna be great (and, hey, an expansion is already in the works)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Finally played Star Wars: Rebellion for the first time today, over TTS. Once as each side. Combat is clunky and desperately needs streamlining (though a quick Google search found house rules that we might try out), but once we're over that bump, I could definitely see it being a very fun and relatively crunchy two-player cat and mouse game. It feels like the kind of game two people could get super, super into until they're making galaxy brain 5D chess plays at each other, with just enough moving parts to really allow for proper obfuscation. Theme's a little painted on, and the moments that actually make good stories are the exception, not the rule, but that's fine by me. But could they really not find any better generals to use for half the Leader units than "this underpaid extra who had two lines in one scene"?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 28, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Did you play with the expansion combat rules (I think it's called the cinematic combat in the rules)? It's definitely an improvement. And funny you say that about the theme, I think that's probably the best IP integration I've seen in a board game. I think the game has 2-3 systems too many with all the various decks that should be combined into just the mission/leader system (which is great) but otherwise I think it's really solid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you play with the expansion combat rules (I think it's called the cinematic combat in the rules)? It's definitely an improvement. And funny you say that about the theme, I think that's probably the best IP integration I've seen in a board game. I think the game has 2-3 systems too many with all the various decks that should be combined into just the mission/leader system (which is great) but otherwise I think it's really solid.
We didn't, but once we have a grasp on everything and aren't constantly loving up rules and basic strategy, we'll probably give it a go.

What I mean about the theme is that while there's a dramatic to the game, and moment to moment events that make for great stories to tell later, you kind of have to do a lot of the work yourself stringing them together into a consistent narrative.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I vastly prefer that style in board games over flavor text or narrative. It's a sandbox with all the right pieces and mechanics to create a good story to each game and the characters and cards all do what you'd think they do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's fair. I'd actually compare the game, in many ways, to Battlestar Galactica. Strip off the theme completely, or go in as someone who knows nothing about it, and you're still gonna have a very solid game that makes for some great stories. Knowing the characters and events being referenced is just a cherry on top.

...now that I'm saying it out loud, yeah, that is better than a game that leans too hard into the IP, isn't it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Outer Rim has the other flavour vs mechanics issue where some of the characters are just better than other. Like if you're playing you get Chewie for free if he shows up, great thematically but terrible balance wise.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

grate deceiver posted:

Just ordered Dune even though it's going to be really tough finding a group for it, even disregarding isolation concerns. But I just love the idea of it and want to have it and look at it and whisper to it on long winter nights.

Hello!

Which Dune did you order? Dune Imperium, or the Galeforce Nine 'Dune'? Either way, loving class act, but if it's the Galeforce Nine one, HELL YES.

I even whisper to my copy on warm summer evenings now, such is our bond. This thread (and specifically Fellis) put me onto it in the first place, and it is by some margin my favorite board game. (Cube draft isn't a board game). When you get a good game, it is absolutely every bit as good as you hope. Watching your friends lie to and trick and charm each other is SO much fun!

If you find any good ways to pimp it out, do let me know. I've replaced the spice tokens with some spicy lookin' beads from a local store. If you wanna search online, it's 'Scatter Crystals' you're after, but the ones I got were the wrong colour, so went local instead.

I'd say as well, having the game in advance of playing it, with some spare time, is probably good to give you time to learn the rules. There are a lot, and there are a lot of corner cases, and it's really great if someone at the table knows them in advance. There are a ton of houserules out there, a lot of them very good.

I'd be happy to use or not use most house rules, if my other players wanted to, but one that we decided ourselves I wouldn't ever play without, we named "Butlerian Jihad", which is that there are no thinking machines allowed. (No phones). Not so much because of being rude and not paying attention, but because people start chatting in secret whatsapp groups and it DRRAAAAAAGGGGS.

If you meant Dune Imperium, sorry for the useless post, but I will effuse on Dune at the slightest provocation because it is punkin' rad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

2 game days locked in for Feb :slick:

One of them is gonna be Twilight Imperium with my new set, going for the full 6 player experience :slick::slick::slick::slick::slick::slick:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Infinitum posted:

One of them is gonna be Twilight Imperium with my new set, going for the full 6 player experience :slick::slick::slick::slick::slick::slick:

My jealousy knows no bounds. TI is the game I think about when I'm not playing games, which is all the time thanks to the Covid hellscape I'm stuck in right now.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm setting up an online game weekend with friends in a few weeks. What game sites have rules enforcement besides board game arena? Do any of the tts mods have it? I know a lot have automation but don't know of any rules checks. I ask because it's so much easier to teach players new games this way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Boiteajeux and yucatan.de are the two main ones other than bga for large sets of games.

There's some other sites with limited or focused selections: gameparlor, boardgamecore, and a few apps like through the ages.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Many Knizias on Triqqy too

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Spikes32 posted:

Do any of the tts mods have it?
There are Azul, Five Tribes and (I think) The Crew mods with full rules enforcement, should be easy enough to find on the Steam Workshop.

e: Oh, and which are all, just imo, excellent.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Spikes32 posted:

I'm setting up an online game weekend with friends in a few weeks. What game sites have rules enforcement besides board game arena? Do any of the tts mods have it? I know a lot have automation but don't know of any rules checks. I ask because it's so much easier to teach players new games this way.

The Hallertau TTS mod does a great job of scripting the game and making the rules explanation easy. Highly recommended.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks everyone! Usually this is a yearly in person weekend but we're doing the best we can to keep some semblance of it this year.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

I say this with as much kindness and compassion as I can muster, but you and your country with a proportional response to a global pandemic can :frogout:

Have a great day of legally spending time with other people and also playing games I guess.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I tried to get my group to like GF9 Dune but after a game or two they decided that an Emperor-Harkonnen alliance is unbeatable and why would those two players ever not ally and thus don't want to ever play again.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
That's awful but it's very common for new players.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

More good Uwe coming :woop:

Lookout Games posted:

Orcs are ravaging the lands and threatening your caves and families! Can you defeat the ravaging orcs and bring back peace and prosperity to your people?

In Caverna: Frantic Fiends, the second large expansion for Uwe Rosenberg's Caverna: The Cave Farmers, you have to face these hostile plunderers. Luckily, you can either use your proven axes to teach them a lesson or build traps to keep them away from the cave entrances altogether. You can even push them into these traps with stone or bribe them with wood to weaken their strength. Defeating orcs will bring precious rewards, but if you fail to drive them off, all your plans might be in jeopardy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SettingSun posted:

I tried to get my group to like GF9 Dune but after a game or two they decided that an Emperor-Harkonnen alliance is unbeatable and why would those two players ever not ally and thus don't want to ever play again.

Hard to believe that in 40 years of tournament play nobody ever figured out the unbeatable strategy your group found in 2 plays.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djfooboo posted:

A Caverna expansion??? I mean, I'm not complaining, but drat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hard to believe that in 40 years of tournament play nobody ever figured out the unbeatable strategy your group found in 2 plays.

Group think is a hard thing to get past.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Any idea who Koal & Morphy are? Is this like Köpke designing (kick-rear end) Odin expansions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone tried the second Roll for the Galaxy expansion and have any suggestions on which of the modules to use if either? I'm fine with just adding the new tiles and dice to base/ambition but I'm curious if the orb or deal games are worth it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Say no to the orb. The cards are fun though. We tried the xeno but my partner didn't want to actually deal with the invasions so we didn't include it and too many of the cards referenced the invasion to be fun to play on their own.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Roll not Race lol

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

To be fair, Emperor/Harkonnen is a strong alliance in the meta, although obviously counterable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Redundant posted:

I say this with as much kindness and compassion as I can muster, but you and your country with a proportional response to a global pandemic can :frogout:

Have a great day of legally spending time with other people and also playing games I guess.

The flipside to this is all these plans could go out the window tomorrow if we have even a small outbreak. Our state governments aren't loving around, so even a small number of cases 10+ is cause for putting your social life on hold (depending on how close the cluster is to you)

I had 6 game days planned during the Xmas break and couldn't attend/host any of them due to an outbreak.

We're doing well at the moment, back to 12 days in a row with no local case transmission. Not sure about quarantine numbers.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
god i wish that were me

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My social life has been on hold since March.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Group think is a hard thing to get past.

I know! Dune is way deeper than I could ever explain to my group because of my own inexperience with it. It's real hard to argue around 'we've solved this' so I wrote the game off and moved on to others more suited to the group. Unfortunate, but I'll revisit it someday.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone tried the second Roll for the Galaxy expansion and have any suggestions on which of the modules to use if either? I'm fine with just adding the new tiles and dice to base/ambition but I'm curious if the orb or deal games are worth it.

Deal is okay, but a little fiddly. Upgrading the dice is cool but a LOT fiddly and imo slowed down the game way too much since one of the strengths of the game is how quickly it plays. We tried them a few times but ultimately prefer to play without them most times and just use the new tiles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks, I kinda had that feeling after reading the rules. I’ll just add those bits to all the box of Race stuff we don’t use lol.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PMush Perfect posted:

Were you aware of the first expansion, The Forgotten Folk? Different player races to collect and covet, each of which has their own unique powers and special buildings to knock out some of the standard offering! Cave vegetables! Plantable rubies! Cheaty elves!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Nevermind.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 29, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Cave Farmers is the original version the Caverna (which the expansion is for)! The 2-player variant is Cave vs. Cave.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Stickman posted:

The Cave Farmers is the original version the Caverna (which the expansion is for)! The 2-player variant is Cave vs. Cave.

:doh: Oh yeah.... I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was dicking around boardgamearena and I've seen a Beta version of Unconditional Surrender. Isn't that a bajillion hours wargame?