Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArfJason posted:

sonic the hedgehog
Ogilvie Maurice the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm surprised to see people griping about Aquatic Ruin, because it slides by incredibly quickly unless you're constantly falling down into the water. You can beat the whole pair of levels while barely skimming the top of the water.

yeah but if you don't it's poo poo, and that's where most of the level is

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

man nurse posted:

I like how there’s just slightly not enough room so the D has to be below the other letters

SONICCD

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

drat, Sonic’s Dad, don’t deadname your kid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

man nurse posted:

I like how there’s just slightly not enough room so the D has to be below the other letters

Is that just not the style of how they write "CD" for the sega CD?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hi im sonic

ArfJason posted:

sonic the hedgehog

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

ArfJason posted:

sonic the hedgehog

Hmm. Much to think about.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Beasteh posted:

running on those big metal nuts

Twerk from Home posted:

the big nuts are another momentum-based challenge

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The History of Sonic the Hedgehog podcast has put out an episode on Sonic in comics, including interviews with Nigel Kitching (lead writer for the UK Sonic the Comic), Ken Penders and Ian Flynn. I was mostly there for the Kitching interview which was lovely but it was really interesting to hear Penders' take on the lawsuit with Archie and what Flynn had to say about picking up the pieces and moving forward. Highly recommended if you were a fan of the comics.

https://twitter.com/TomCampbell/status/1353252980921946112

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Evil Eagle posted:

SONICCD
the hedgehog

CDSONIC
the hedgehog

-

So I finally got around to beating Sonic Mania, and after running through Green Hill Act 1 like twenty-or-so times, I got all the Chaos Emeralds.

Am I wrong in thinking that Sonic Mania is harder than the classic Sonic games? I know the Encore DLC adds a new campaign that's far harder, but the boss encounters in Sonic Mania seem unforgiving in some instances. I dropped the game for a time after getting a game over in Oil Ocean, and when replaying Studiopolis, I had trouble jumping over rockets in the Act 1 boss. There were probably others, but I'd have to go back and replay it to remember.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think so. But maybe that comes with having played Mania after all the others.

The rockets in Studiopolis don't feel harder then dealing with the spikes from Act 1 Mushroom Hill's boss. (Those gave me a lot of trouble as a kid)

As a kid, I'd regularly time out in Carnival Night Act 2 (replaying it now, Im not sure how.)

I definitely feel like the wrong sections of Flying Battery (3&K) felt more perilous the a lot of what Mania offered. (Or the first outdoor section was my bane as a kid) and Wing Fortress and Death Egg (S3&K) were pretty dang challenging back in the day. Titan Monarch isn't easy, but the biggest challenge is not running out time.

I remember my first time getting through Death Egg S3&K when at a friend's place - but running out of lives to the final phase of the big egg robo thing, usually to the big emerald laser because we didn't realize you just had to jump backwards, or just weren't really good enough at it. (it was a sonic+tails game, so we were trying to use tails to airlift sonic out of the way.)

S3 had the big hands boss which had that grab attack which was kinda tough to deal with as a kid. I feel like the series had no shortage of bosses that could crush you as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Max Wilco posted:

CDSONIC
the hedgehog

-

So I finally got around to beating Sonic Mania, and after running through Green Hill Act 1 like twenty-or-so times, I got all the Chaos Emeralds.

Am I wrong in thinking that Sonic Mania is harder than the classic Sonic games? I know the Encore DLC adds a new campaign that's far harder, but the boss encounters in Sonic Mania seem unforgiving in some instances. I dropped the game for a time after getting a game over in Oil Ocean, and when replaying Studiopolis, I had trouble jumping over rockets in the Act 1 boss. There were probably others, but I'd have to go back and replay it to remember.

I have a hard time getting emeralds in sonic mania, and I even had sonic R on Saturn and was able to get 7 emeralds by aquatic ruin every time I played sonic 2 as a kid.

I'm just bad at chasing eggmans emerald stealer.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the physics in studiopolis 1's boss completely take a poo poo for no discernible reason. if you're going at top speed, jumping makes you decelerate a bit then accelerate again. it feels extremely cumbersome and is a hitch in an otherwise sick as hell section. what i wonder a lot is if the physics are actually like that during the rest of the game but due to the camera centering on sonic you dont really notice. i definitely dont think it is but my gut feeling has been wrong before

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I ashamed to say that I game overed several times on Manias Oil Ocean boss lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sonic bosses tend to encourage a "dive in" mentality where even if you get hit you can get in a few hits of your own during your iframes then recover at least one ring. The Oil Ocean boss strongly punishes this approach by making it more difficult to recover rings in the oil, and I think a lot of people fell foul of that. If you concentrate on the turrets first and only then go for the boss it's much easier, but requires you to ignore some of your instincts to try and get 8 hits on the boss as fast as possible.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/RogerCraigSmith/status/1354805293369024520

RIP

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has there been any word on why he’s retiring from the role and who’s going to replace him yet?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Evil Eagle posted:

SONICCD
the hedgehog

That "ring"(?) That sonic is poking through is really grotesque. Like Giger poo poo. The slight nudge towards photorealism in Sonic CD is so gross.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Has there been any word on why he’s retiring from the role and who’s going to replace him yet?

They haven't even announced the next game yet so I'd be surprised if there's any info out

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They're probably replacing everyone with a Canadian cast for the Netflix cartoon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alternatively they could be doing what they did with the 4Kids cast in Sonic X and have Ben Schwartz take over the role in all media (which wouldn’t be too terribly bad in my opinion).

I’m also curious if they’re replacing everyone or just Roger (I know Knuckles and Silver already had their VAs swapped out as of Team Sonic Racing after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

J-Spot posted:

They're probably replacing everyone with a Canadian cast for the Netflix cartoon.

Yeah, probably this. And whoever's doing Sonic there will do it for games.

Wonder if that does mean there's no sonic game between now and the netflix cartoon

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they could be making Ben Schwartz into Sonic's full-time VA for the movies/cartoons/games and everything. he does a lot of voicework for cartoons already so it's easily within his wheelhouse.

eggman's VA didn't say anything about leaving the role, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it either, so might just be Sonic being replaced with the movie VA in general

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Smith doesn't explicitly say he's left the Sonic role in that tweet, so nobody might be able to directly comment on it as of yet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At long last, the return of Jaleel.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shame to see him go, but I wouldn't mind Ben Schwartz in the role full time, if that's the direction they're going in.

I don't mind the voice staying, but I could do with a redesign of Eggman at this point. Maybe mix him up a bit between games, he just looked so good in Boom. Preferably the giant Fleetway Robotnik who looks like he eats babies for breakfast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

At long last, the return of Jaleel.

You sure you want that? This is how his Sonic voice roughly sounds currently:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

Apologies for making some of you remember this fan film.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Roger was really fun and I liked him best

I will be gutted if Mike Pollock leaves too ):

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Disco Pope posted:

That "ring"(?) That sonic is poking through is really grotesque. Like Giger poo poo. The slight nudge towards photorealism in Sonic CD is so gross.

The sprites in 3&K were fine but goddamn did the 3D pre-rendered garbage look awful on the title screens. Same with 3D Blast.

Then again I can't stand how early Donkey Kong games look either so I might just really hate 3D pre-rendered sprites.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Teratrain posted:

The sprites in 3&K were fine but goddamn did the 3D pre-rendered garbage look awful on the title screens. Same with 3D Blast.

Then again I can't stand how early Donkey Kong games look either so I might just really hate 3D pre-rendered sprites.

It's not a style that ages well, no. Mario RPG is hard to look at now.. to say nothing of loving Sonic Blast. Good grief.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Teratrain posted:

I feel like they might be under the header of stuff that needed the dithering of CRTs or something. I don't remember it looking so bad.

But it looks so truly bad whereas you crank up widescreen on the decomp ports and Sonic 1 looks absolutely gorgeous. Even Marble Zone.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the sonic and knuckles title screen is immaculate

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mike Pollock giving up the role of Eggman would truly be the death knell of the franchise.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Early/Mid 90s CGI looked like poo poo in general. Even Jurrasic Park or Toy Story had severe limitations that the filmmakers had to work around, and it's not like you can really compare the budget of a Pixar film to Super Mario RPG.

Compressing it down to a 16 bit palette didn't help matters, but it was poo poo in poo poo out no matter what they did. The only reason CGI was ever used aside (from the odd graphic like the rotating barrels in Metropolis) was to trick people into thinking they were buying a 3D game.

What I'm saying is, Donkey Kong Country was literal crime, and someone needs to go to jail. And they should throw away the key.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
all the things y'all are talking about still look cool, with the exception of sonic blast for the sega game gear

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Early 3D is an aesthetic of it's own now and it's really good.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Early 3D is an aesthetic of it's own now and it's really good.

:yeah:

The surge of indie boomer shooters, some constructed in engines from the 90s, is proof of this.

Would SRB2 count seeing as it's running in a modified Doom engine?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pastamania posted:

Early/Mid 90s CGI looked like poo poo in general. Even Jurrasic Park or Toy Story had severe limitations that the filmmakers had to work around, and it's not like you can really compare the budget of a Pixar film to Super Mario RPG.

Compressing it down to a 16 bit palette didn't help matters, but it was poo poo in poo poo out no matter what they did. The only reason CGI was ever used aside (from the odd graphic like the rotating barrels in Metropolis) was to trick people into thinking they were buying a 3D game.

What I'm saying is, Donkey Kong Country was literal crime, and someone needs to go to jail. And they should throw away the key.

Eh, personally I’d say the look of the DKC series holds up pretty well today to be honest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Looper posted:

all the things y'all are talking about still look cool, with the exception of sonic blast for the sega game gear

It doesn't help that it's by far the worst of the GG/SMS lot other than Sonic Labyrinth, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
With the possibly exception of Colors, I don't think Roger got a single good script. He did a good job, but what a rough run for the character.

Oh, the Boom cartoon was good, I guess.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 29, 2021