Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

With the possibly exception of Colors, I don't think Roger got a single good script. He did a good job, but what a rough run for the character.

Oh, the Boom cartoon was good, I guess.

Yeah I'm hoping that Roger leaving is an indication of changes to the direction of the series. It's grown pretty stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Roger played smarmy rear end in a top hat Sonic really well in my opinion but wasn’t as great when he had to get serious. As mentioned, the games also need some better writers while we’re at it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2010s Sonic had a lot of really good voice actors being given really awful voice direction. you could instantly tell in the Boom cartoon how much more natural the cast all sounded in their roles compared to in the games where everything seems really forced

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

It doesn't help that it's by far the worst of the GG/SMS lot other than Sonic Labyrinth, either.

how dare you

sonic 2 is a dumpster fire

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

how dare you

The Master System version is slightly better than the Game Gear in that you can actually see what you’re doing a little more but that’s about all I can say

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

Roger played smarmy rear end in a top hat Sonic really well in my opinion but wasn’t as great when he had to get serious. As mentioned, the games also need some better writers while we’re at it.

I legitimately can't think of a single time (in the games at least) where he had the chance to get serious in a way that was actually good.

Augus posted:

2010s Sonic had a lot of really good voice actors being given really awful voice direction. you could instantly tell in the Boom cartoon how much more natural the cast all sounded in their roles compared to in the games where everything seems really forced

Not quite as bad as the mid-00s 4kids direction, ShTH and 2006 stand pretty high as some examples of truly godawful voice direction, but yeah. Colors, Generations, Forces, all had a pretty stilted feel to them. Not just in voices, but in stuff like the lighting and models, too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sonic 2 on GG is basically broken because of the camera, but the SMS version was a pretty good platformer for it's time. That said the best 8 bit Sonic game is Triple Trouble, it's GG only but the game's design is better adapted for the smaller viewing area.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SCheeseman posted:

Sonic 2 on GG is basically broken because of the camera, but the SMS version was a pretty good platformer for it's time. That said the best 8 bit Sonic game is Triple Trouble, it's GG only but the game's design is better adapted for the smaller viewing area.

This. SMSS2 is fine enough, Triple Trouble is just good. Tails Adventure is nifty too!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

kirbysuperstar posted:

This. SMSS2 is fine enough, Triple Trouble is just good. Tails Adventure is nifty too!

The graphics in tails adventure were goddamn amazing for an 8 bit system too, if we're talking about graphics still.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

jason griffith was a better sonic change my mind

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
8bit sonic 2 has some of the worst level design in the series imo, the pipe mazes in scrambled egg zone are a nightmare guessing game. sonic blast is merely okay but ugly, labyrinth is a really boring execution of a silly premise, and most of the other game gear games are actually pretty fun

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

I'd actually agree with this. It's just that the rest of the 4Kids cast sans Pollock were painful to listen to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd actually agree with this. It's just that the rest of the 4Kids cast sans Pollock were painful to listen to.

Eh, Dan Green’s Knuckles wasn’t too bad in my opinion.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

Eh, Dan Green’s Knuckles wasn’t too bad in my opinion.

e:wrong voice actor, never mind

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah I'm hoping that Roger leaving is an indication of changes to the direction of the series. It's grown pretty stale.
We’re at the point where releasing a game would be a change to the direction of the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

e:wrong voice actor, never mind

Wait, what’s this now?

Lisa Ortiz as Amy wasn’t too terrible either (she was basically just doing a slightly less abrasive Lina Inverse).

Her current actress is fine but she didn’t really get good until she ditched the Minnie Mouse impression she had going on for some reason in the first few games.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 29, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The best voice performances in all of Sonic are in Black Knight, which was Griffith's last real go at the role. It was also the last good script the series had, even with some clunky localization.

This is excluding Deem Bristow's Eggman, which is better than Pollock's and always will be.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

his sonic voice was too nice sounding. i need sonic to be more of a jerk than that. i never disliked him though and he got better as time went on

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my favorite thing about jason griffith was the bad sean schemmel impression he lapsed into when he had to do "badass sonic", like with the secret rings final boss

martin burke best sonic change my mind

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 29, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

the best thing about jason griffith was the bad sean schemmel impression he lapsed into when he had to do "badass sonic", like in the secret rings final boss

Which was basically his Jet the Hawk voice

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Someone resurrect the corpse of Long John Baldry and I promise you prrrrrrrrrromotions.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

DoctorWhat posted:

This is excluding Deem Bristow's Eggman, which is better than Pollock's and always will be.
It worked really well in the context of Eggman being a threatening and maniacal villain, but even if Deem Bristow was still alive (rip), his performance would have felt out of place once they started transitioning the character to comic relief villain in Unleashed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah there's no way Mike Pollock could have pulled off the "You just told me, fox boy!" scene in SA2 as nearly as well as Dean Bristow could have. Though yeah I'd say Mike Pollock is better for comedic Eggman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lr9VuGZgmw

How about this eggman?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Araxxor posted:

Yeah there's no way Mike Pollock could have pulled off the "You just told me, fox boy!" scene in SA2 as nearly as well as Dean Bristow could have. Though yeah I'd say Mike Pollock is better for comedic Eggman.

Or "Away, before I make mincemeat out of you!"

Pollock has gotten a chance to be serious Eggman, but, uh, it was in Sonic 2006.....

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

This is actually the correct answer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simsmagic posted:

It worked really well in the context of Eggman being a threatening and maniacal villain, but even if Deem Bristow was still alive (rip), his performance would have felt out of place once they started transitioning the character to comic relief villain in Unleashed.

Bristow had some silly and bombastic moments as Eggman as well. Remember that this is a character that scratches his rear end onscreen in SA2. His Eggman took himself more seriously than Pollock’s Eggman but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t funny.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

NO way! I can't BELIEVE this!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lurdiak posted:

Personally my least favorite zone in 2 is Aquatic Ruins. I really do not like its aesthetic or design sensibilities. It's thankfully not too long or difficult, but it still sucks.

the top route is a delight, get good

carnival nights is dogshit

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Looper posted:

how dare you

Sonic 2 MS was my big Xmas present in 1993 and it’s a game I’m completely unable to look at objectively.

But yeah it was rough. I wonder how much of the development was just a rushed train wreck, given how all over the place the difficulty spikes were and how the levels were obviously rearranged at the last second because the spike pits on Green Hill 3 were just an insane piece of level design.

It’s doubly weird just because of how well Sonic 1 turned out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dabir posted:

NO way! I can't BELIEVE this!

get a load of THISSS

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Pollock is a way better Comic Eggman. In general, he's got the voice of the "Near psychotic having fun with it"

I can imagine him pulling off the perfect level of "Really cavalier and happy about being an absolute monster" that I don't think Deem Bristow could have pulled off quite as well.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Anyone try the Balan wonderworld demo? I'm really disappointed.

You move incredibly slowly and the powers all feel quite aenemic. It's like a forgotten bargain bin 3d platformer from the late 90s ):

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The speed and there only being jump/action for the face buttons makes me think it wants to be a mobile game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Deem Bristow had a good go at a more bombastic Eggman in heroes. You know, apart from "TAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE this".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Part of me thinks this is getting Ben in but part of me absolutely believes Sega would be stupid enough to cheap out and try to CanCon thier flagship some 15 years after doing so stopped being in any way profitable.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only 4kids VA that was better than the others we got was Griffith as Shadow. I wasn’t a big fan of his Sonic, but I think he started to come into the role towards the end. There were some scenes in Unleashed where he sounded alright but Black Knight is the only one where I felt he was natural.

Roger Craig Smith did the best job but as others have mentioned he kinda got crap when it comes to scripts outside of the Boom cartoon (where he and the others were excellent).

Crazy conspiracy theory that I don’t actually believe: They’ve replaces the current cast with the Dreamcast ones for a big budget Sonic Adventure remake

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Deem Bristow had a good go at a more bombastic Eggman in heroes. You know, apart from "TAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE thisTAKE this".

THIS IS OOONLY THE BEGINNINGGGGG

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The only 4kids VA that was better than the others we got was Griffith as Shadow. I wasn’t a big fan of his Sonic, but I think he started to come into the role towards the end. There were some scenes in Unleashed where he sounded alright but Black Knight is the only one where I felt he was natural.

Roger Craig Smith did the best job but as others have mentioned he kinda got crap when it comes to scripts outside of the Boom cartoon (where he and the others were excellent).

Crazy conspiracy theory that I don’t actually believe: They’ve replaces the current cast with the Dreamcast ones for a big budget Sonic Adventure remake

I'm not really sure if that's possible since Deem Bristow is dead, Tails was voiced by a literal child so he'd have to be replaced anyway, and Jon St John apparently hates doing the Big voice. Not sure what the rest of the old crew is up to these days though.'For example, is Ryan Drummond still doing voice acting work (also out of curiosity, is he related to Brian Drummond at all)?

Also Kirk Thornton is a good actor but I've never really been a fan of his Shadow voice, it sounds like he's trying too hard to be edgy when all he really needs to do is use his Saix voice from Kingdom Hearts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skeletome posted:

Anyone try the Balan wonderworld demo? I'm really disappointed.

You move incredibly slowly and the powers all feel quite aenemic. It's like a forgotten bargain bin 3d platformer from the late 90s ):

It looks and sounds very nice on PS5 but that’s pretty much where the positives end. I was in shock at how little substance there was to the gameplay, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop where the real game would start but it never happened. It’s a Nights game where you only walk around as a slow, clumsy child and never get to feel the exhilaration of flying