Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

If you're going to get a cheap seatpost, get a kalloy/uno instead of whatever markov-generated chinese brand shows up first on amazon.

If you spring for something like a ritchey, it'll have a better designed and easier to use saddle clamp, which will be forged as part of the post instead of swaged into the end of it, so there's no chance it'll work itself loose.

I'd say the kalloy is fine, especially if you're not sure you're going to keep it

Ritchey doesn't seem to have any 25.4 diameter seatposts. Any other good brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Velo Orange sells a 25.4 seatpost for $25. It appears to be forged

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Clark Nova posted:

better designed and easier to use saddle clamp,

FWIW, the only issues I've had with the cheap posts is that they have those notched tilt adjusts:

and a saddle I have is either tilted too high or too low, with the ideal right between notches.

So you could end up with a post that helps you answer the setback fit question, but that you don't wanna run long term.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

FWIW, the only issues I've had with the cheap posts is that they have those notched tilt adjusts:

and a saddle I have is either tilted too high or too low, with the ideal right between notches.
To contrast that, the single bolt ones without notches are almost impossible to dial in where you want because they shift slightly while torquing the bolt. I found the right spot on mine 4 years ago and I'm afraid to loosen the bolt ever again.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Get one with a front bolt and a back bolt, you can adjust angle by tightening or loosening as needed. Nail polish to make a reference line once you have it where you like it so you can find it again if you remove the seat and you don't need indexing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I ordered the kalloy uno which should answer the setback question for not too much money. Thank you Clark Nova for the rec, it is like $1 more than the chinese knockoff thing at the top of amazon but doesn’t have a bunch of reviews saying it snapped in half like that one does.

If I ever want to get a nicer one my options seem limited. Most stuff I poked at doesn’t come in 25.4. My current post is 400mm and I think I only need 350mm, so that is another concern.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Dren posted:

I ordered the kalloy uno which should answer the setback question for not too much money. Thank you Clark Nova for the rec, it is like $1 more than the chinese knockoff thing at the top of amazon but doesn’t have a bunch of reviews saying it snapped in half like that one does.

If I ever want to get a nicer one my options seem limited. Most stuff I poked at doesn’t come in 25.4. My current post is 400mm and I think I only need 350mm, so that is another concern.

They don't make nice bikes with 25.4 internal seat tube size any more, so seatpost choice is gonna be cheap stuff for cheap bikes and repairs to older ones. The VO is the nicest you'll find new. Don't worry about finding a post that's too long, you can saw off the extra length.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure kalloy is, or is a brand/subsidiary of, the company that makes the seatposts and stems for all the bikes that come out of Taiwan. They're also an easy answer for "which threadless stem should I get?"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SimonSays posted:

They don't make nice bikes with 25.4 internal seat tube size any more, so seatpost choice is gonna be cheap stuff for cheap bikes and repairs to older ones. The VO is the nicest you'll find new. Don't worry about finding a post that's too long, you can saw off the extra length.

This is the only nice one I found, https://www.amazon.com/Zipp-Service-Seatpost-Setback-Diameter/dp/B07GGPLCY9/

Would there be any problem running a CF seatpost in an AL frame?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure kalloy is, or is a brand/subsidiary of, the company that makes the seatposts and stems for all the bikes that come out of Taiwan. They're also an easy answer for "which threadless stem should I get?"

There's a lot of firms making those kinds of parts but only so many forges. Kalloy are huge and make white-label parts all the time, at any quality level you're willing to pay for. The VO Dajia seatpost is one of their nicer models.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Dren posted:

This is the only nice one I found, https://www.amazon.com/Zipp-Service-Seatpost-Setback-Diameter/dp/B07GGPLCY9/

I wouldn't buy carbon on Amazon because you don't know what you're getting, especially with that 3-review listing, and broken carbon between your legs tends to be upsetting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dren posted:

To avoid seizing, you can use carbon paste, which is a gritty paste designed to offer the right grip/friction and prevent any weird electrolysis from welding metals or corroding carbon.
e: correcting what i said -- I don't think there should be interaction between bare metal and the carbon resin, nor after googling, should I be worried about road salt exacerbating any corrosion to the carbon, even if scraped up from insertion wear.

SimonSays posted:

I wouldn't buy carbon on Amazon because you don't know what you're getting, especially with that 3-review listing, and broken carbon between your legs tends to be upsetting.
The post does exist on other vendors:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/zipp-service-course-sl-seatpost_1

I would expect the failure point, on a well built model from a reputable manufacturer, to be at the alu head - carbon tube interface. Either it debonds or starts cracking there from some bad tolerance. I have had a cheap carbon post crack but not bend at the seat tube insertion, so yeah, I'm on the train of save $100 and eat 50g for hopefully less sudden failures.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 22, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, a carbon seatpost will need carbon assembly paste, and also you really ought to be using a torque wrench to tighten your seatpost collar to spec

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, a carbon seatpost will need carbon assembly paste, and also you really ought to be using a torque wrench to tighten your seatpost collar to spec

On the flip side, a lot of even reputable posts will be undersized, where to spec guarantees slippage.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I've never been happier than the day I replaced a suspect carbon post and got this one because the clamp and angle adjustment is separate and so easy to do.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Just to clarify, carbon itself will not corrode...at least I don't think it does. It just transfers electrons to metals with massively dissimilar anodic indices and causes them to corrode.

You'll often see sheets of fiberglass around rivnuts on the insides of frames to prevent carbon/metal contact.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I bought a used Avanti Blade as a present to myself early last year... and it's been in the shed ever since because I tried to do a basic deraileur adjust without re-watching a youtube tutorial and stuffed it up, then compounded my error by messing with everything else (again, not looking at tutorials like I should have) trying to fix it. Front and rear deraileurs are now out of whack, let's assume "setting up from new". AFAIK the rear hanger is OK - I was overconfident because I spent a sweaty afternoon adjusting my old bike's rear deraileur a few years back and was successful.

I found it really tedious to do just working on the ground, so I built a basic maintenance stand so it wouldn't be as tedious to check how it was shifting. (Side note: that guy's bike must be a fair bit lighter than mine because it kept tipping backwards, wound up having to bolt an old motorbike head I had laying around to the other end to act as a counterweight).

I'm not sure where to begin: front or rear deraileur?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Start with rear. You can still have a mostly functional bike without front shifting.

Make sure to set the low limit for the RD if you don't want an expensive problem on your hands.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
me replacing clinchers on a used bike: "i wonder how old the tubes are"

the tube brand name: Avocet

(if they hold air, is it fine to continue to use ancient rear end inner tubes, because idk if 700c tubes are still hard as nails to get in stock)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I used the inner tubes that were inside the falling-apart tires on my junkyard frankenbike after I bought cheap, new tires. I also bought new inner tubes just in case, but for the month I rode that bike before the BB fell apart the unknown-age inner tubes were fine.

Seedy ROM
Aug 25, 2018

FKN FUN POLICE
Can I get some feedback about my efforts messing with my rear wheel bearings, please? I've been faffing about with cone adjustment on a QR rear wheel with cassette. Bike is a 2019 Trek FX3 Disc if that helps.

I took my rear hub apart tonight to get my head around how it works.

The point was to get a feel for it and pick up some knowledge and skills. It's also fun to wrench my own stuff! Granted, occasionally Type 2 fun, but that's fine with me.

I followed the info provided by Sheldon Brown (Cone Adjustment) and the guide from Park Tools (Hub overhaul and adjustment - cup and cone)

Here's what I did:

1. Removed cassette with lock ring tool and chain whip
2. Removed right side locknut, cone shield, washer and cone nut.
3. Took a peek at condition of bearings and cotact surfaces
4. Let the axle slowly slide out the left side and carefully took a peek in there
5. Reassembled hub etc in reverse order
6. Tightened right side cone and lock nut while accounting (via estimate) for play and QR compression
7. Reassembled cassette
8. Returned wheel bike and check for play and free rotation

It's back on, there's a miniscule amount of play, axles don't protrude in dropouts, and wheel seems to spin well. Test ride was fine.

I'm fairly certain the locknut is tight against the cone, but I'd like to double check; I've heard that if it's loose the cone nut can head into the bearing housing and wreck up the joint. I didn't have access to cone spanners tonight, and made do with only combo spanners (hence the concern over lock nut security).

My intent from here is to grab some cone spanners in 13, 15, and 17mm to use alongside my combo spanners. Does this seem suitable?

Once I've got the cone spanners, I'll revisit the adjustment and see if I can reduce the play some more (perhaps throw in a bit of marine grease). I'd also double-check that the lock nut is tight.

Anything I'm missing here or could be doing better?

Thanks in advance Bichael Maintenance Thread - I've loved lurking and learning from you all! All of these bike threads are just fantastic.

Seedy ROM fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 27, 2021

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?

Seedy ROM posted:

My intent from here is to grab some cone spanners in 13, 15, and 17mm to use alongside my combo spanners. Does this seem suitable?

Once I've got the cone spanners, I'll revisit the adjustment and see if I can reduce the play some more (perhaps throw in a bit of marine grease). I'd also double-check that the lock nut is tight.

Anything I'm missing here or could be doing better?

Your steps and results look pretty good over here. I would try to take the play out. Final result should be slight play in the hub when not on the bike (usually only in one spot or so), because the QR or axle nuts compress the bearings as well when you install the wheel. Which means you should have no play when the wheel is installed. And definitely make sure that the lock nut is tight.

13, 15, and 17 should be all you need unless you get into any thru axle setups.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You need the cone wrenches if you don't want it to work loose. Also sometimes about 10° makes the diy between too loose or too tight, so having something to hold the axle as you tighten the locknut and cone together is a huge help.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dumb question: I've got a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internally geared hub. I don't really love the revoshift twisty shifter it came with. Could I replace with an 8 speed (for lack of a better term) clicky lever thumb shifter?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Dumb question: I've got a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internally geared hub. I don't really love the revoshift twisty shifter it came with. Could I replace with an 8 speed (for lack of a better term) clicky lever thumb shifter?

Yes, Shimano make those for Nexus and Alfine hubs. There are also third-party bar-end shifters and such.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I believe the Alfine and Nexus pull ratios are the same. If so, you can use this.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shimano-Alfine-SL-S503-8-Speed-Rapidfire-Shifter-for

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I want to put HY/RDs on my office bike that has mechanical disc brakes. They’re sold out everywhere / on back order for a couple of months.

On a whim I checked eBay and there are a bunch of sellers offering them for basically $50 cheaper per caliper than anywhere else online- more importantly they’re in stock.

I know there’s counterfeit Shimano/etc stuff out there, how likely is it these are counterfeit?

It looks like TRP has them in stock but it’s $140 more than buying a set on eBay. Of course thats money well spent if the eBay calipers are going to explode and cause me to crash into a car.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

LordOfThePants posted:

I want to put HY/RDs on my office bike that has mechanical disc brakes. They’re sold out everywhere / on back order for a couple of months.

On a whim I checked eBay and there are a bunch of sellers offering them for basically $50 cheaper per caliper than anywhere else online- more importantly they’re in stock.

I know there’s counterfeit Shimano/etc stuff out there, how likely is it these are counterfeit?

It looks like TRP has them in stock but it’s $140 more than buying a set on eBay. Of course thats money well spent if the eBay calipers are going to explode and cause me to crash into a car.

If you need flat mount I have a pair I’d sell for way cheaper than what’s on ebay.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

For mechanical components (cassettes, brakes) I generally trust Taiwanese sellers with high ratings. The Shimano stuff I get all seems to be gray market stuff that they somehow can get enough margin for reselling. Shipping time was generally slow, and now I'm not sure how much I'd trust it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I believe the Alfine and Nexus pull ratios are the same. If so, you can use this.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shimano-Alfine-SL-S503-8-Speed-Rapidfire-Shifter-for

Neat! Thanks.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

For mechanical components (cassettes, brakes) I generally trust Taiwanese sellers with high ratings. The Shimano stuff I get all seems to be gray market stuff that they somehow can get enough margin for reselling. Shipping time was generally slow, and now I'm not sure how much I'd trust it.

FWIW, I got a set of HY/RDs from exactly such a seller (this seller, to be specific) a couple months ago and had a positive experience. I have no idea how to authenticate them, but to my untrained eye, they look good and they've worked well.

(While I'm on the topic, thanks to e.pilot and other thread regulars for singing their praises - I got 'em after learning about them on the various SA bike threads. They were right, they are much better and less fiddly to align than the basic mechanical single-piston brakes my bike came with.)

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

e.pilot posted:

If you need flat mount I have a pair I’d sell for way cheaper than what’s on ebay.

My CAADX is post mount unfortunately otherwise I’d be all over that.

The low price / immediate stock (from a seller shipping from CA) is really tempting. On the other hand this bike needs to have reliable brakes - it’s what I ride at lunch on the pretty busy roads / MUPs around here and if I’m hauling rear end up to a stop and my brakes explode, I’m probably going to get smoked by a car. Maybe I’ll just pony up the extra 150to buy them directly from TRP.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d get the eBay ones. They’re very likely legit, and if they aren’t, you can file a dispute. I’ve bought a decent amount of grey market stuff and it’s all been fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

The low price / immediate stock (from a seller shipping from CA) is really tempting. On the other hand this bike needs to have reliable brakes - it’s what I ride at lunch on the pretty busy roads / MUPs around here and if I’m hauling rear end up to a stop and my brakes explode, I’m probably going to get smoked by a car. Maybe I’ll just pony up the extra 150to buy them directly from TRP.

What if you split the difference and get one from fast and cheap for the rear brake, and get one from TRP for the front brake? :dadjoke:
Of course that means you'll have that rear brake sitting around, tempting you to install it up front.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I ended up ordering them on eBay, we’ll see what they look like when they arrive. Hopefully they’re just gray market. Probably another month away from being able to resume my lunchtime bike ride so I want to get these on and tested rather than wait for them to come in stock. I’d have never even known these cable actuated disc brakes were a thing without reading about them here. My CAADX is still a great bike for short 20 mile rides, but the mechanical disc brakes blow compared to the hydraulic ones on my Roubaix.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
My rear derailleur was shifting like poo poo so I took it to the LBS. The guy was like "i fixed your stuff but u need new brake pads" and I was like "yea i know" and he's like "we have the ones for the front but for the rear they are backordered" and he gave me the part number to order online then bring to them to install.

Once I got home I was like wait, why would they be different? I have the same TRP fake hydraulic disc brakes on my bike, front is flat mount rear is post but they should take the same pads right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Casual Yogurt posted:

My rear derailleur was shifting like poo poo so I took it to the LBS. The guy was like "i fixed your stuff but u need new brake pads" and I was like "yea i know" and he's like "we have the ones for the front but for the rear they are backordered" and he gave me the part number to order online then bring to them to install.

Once I got home I was like wait, why would they be different? I have the same TRP fake hydraulic disc brakes on my bike, front is flat mount rear is post but they should take the same pads right?

Yep, they’re the same as Shimano B01S pads too fwiw, which are way better than the OEM TRP pads.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casual Yogurt posted:

Maybe they just had 1 set on hand and figured the fronts needed it more than the rears?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe they just had 1 set on hand and figured the fronts needed it more than the rears?
if your shop isn't crewed by assholes this is the explanation.

In other news, got my hub back from the LBS (the nexus 5 di2 that crunched itself after all of 3 months). Verdict is water ingress allowed a one way bearing to oxidize, and rust got into the top 2 gearsets. Now on the plus side Shimano was easy to work with and expressed us new internals but on the other hand IT'S loving 3 MONTHS OLD WHAT THE gently caress YOU TURDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(if they hold air, is it fine to continue to use ancient rear end inner tubes, because idk if 700c tubes are still hard as nails to get in stock)

I've been riding an old lovely kenda inner tube on the front of my commuter fixie for like 5 years that has a bent presta valve core.

I've been waiting for it to die so I can put a nicer tube in it, but it's outlasted like 3 tires and 2 rear rims at this point