Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was running around in AC Origins wondering why Bayek's voiceover sounded a bit off, then I remembered I found the Sekhmet costume with a big metal cat helmet yesterday. Not only does he wear it during cutscenes, it puts a metallic echoey filter over his lines :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

I complained in the other thread about modding X-com but when you get it right it’s so cool :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Mark of Kri, now that I'm on the last level, I love how the game presents it's story, the little hidden cutscenes that you use the bird to find are neat ways to fill in the backstory without bogging the game down with irrelevant scenes, so the only mandatory cutscenes are the important plot ones but there are smaller scenes that fill in the gaps if you want to.

I also like the main character's animations because he's not always at the ready - most games when you have a weapon out the character holds it like they're looking for something to hit, with an agresssive posture and kind of tipping the weapon around, but in Mark of Kri he's more reasonable - rather than tensely holding the axe like a baseball bat, when not actively swinging it he just kind of holds it across the back of his shoulders at rest. Basically he has trigger discipline, but for melee weapons.

He also has a proper scabbard/quiver and you can see all the weapons stowed in it when not in use, which is nice.
It's generally got a lot of attenbtion to detail.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Grabbed Immortals: Fenyx Rising since it's already hit the sub-$30 level, and man it has a fun setup. Prometheus narrating the story of your character as the game progresses to Zeus, who provides color commentary - complaining when it's boring, praising interesting parts, being confused at why people in the real word would design such weird puzzles just to get into buildings and such. It's great fun, especially coming right after all the Greek pantheon shenanigans in Odyssey.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
My wife and I have been playing Fenyx Rising together while in our alone time I play Hades and she reads Lore Olympus. It's just madness over here.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the REAL Dragon's Dogma theme is like literally one of the best things about a pretty drat good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g&t=27s

the best part is climbing on things and whackin' em with swords

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

verbal enema posted:

the best part is climbing on things and whackin' em with swords

lol not to spoil but the Bitterblack Isle boss redux where you have to go through the whole island again to beat him for real, if you have the right build of a quick-climbing character with the right skills, gear and weapons equipped you can leap-climb onto his chest and stunlock him to death, and then when he revives with a big face on his chest you can climb directly onto it and kill him again in seconds After my first battle with him was like 20 very tense one-slip minutes, the next time not so much :cool:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol not to spoil but the Bitterblack Isle boss redux where you have to go through the whole island again to beat him for real, if you have the right build of a quick-climbing character with the right skills, gear and weapons equipped you can leap-climb onto his chest and stunlock him to death, and then when he revives with a big face on his chest you can climb directly onto it and kill him again in seconds After my first battle with him was like 20 very tense one-slip minutes, the next time not so much :cool:

i dont have the dlc but that kicks rear end and is 100% what im gonna do as i heard the dlc is kinda BS but w/e its Dragon's Dogma lmao

its like when people said Ninety Nine Nights wasnt as good as Dynasty Warriors

ya know wha gently caress that N3 loving owned idk bout the sequel but that first game whips so much rear end and really lets you truly be the badass general on the battlefield also the OST is stupid good drat can i get that on steam brb

e: no i cant and thats bs its more or less a lost 360 game to me at this point goddamnit

verbal enema has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Jan 29, 2021

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

BioEnchanted posted:

In Mark of Kri, now that I'm on the last level, I love how the game presents it's story, the little hidden cutscenes that you use the bird to find are neat ways to fill in the backstory without bogging the game down with irrelevant scenes, so the only mandatory cutscenes are the important plot ones but there are smaller scenes that fill in the gaps if you want to.

I also like the main character's animations because he's not always at the ready - most games when you have a weapon out the character holds it like they're looking for something to hit, with an agresssive posture and kind of tipping the weapon around, but in Mark of Kri he's more reasonable - rather than tensely holding the axe like a baseball bat, when not actively swinging it he just kind of holds it across the back of his shoulders at rest. Basically he has trigger discipline, but for melee weapons.

He also has a proper scabbard/quiver and you can see all the weapons stowed in it when not in use, which is nice.
It's generally got a lot of attenbtion to detail.

I sunk hundreds of hours into this back when I got my own PS2- still have it actually. For a "cartoony" game, it had some crazy gore going on, e.g. an impaled enemy sliding down the taiaha or someone crawling on their arms away from their severed abdomen and legs before dying.:stare:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i like how, in Hades, if you pause while in the third biome it plays only the rad proggy bassline so you can just jam to that for a while

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

i like how, in Hades, if you pause while in the third biome it plays only the rad proggy bassline so you can just jam to that for a while

link me! i like proggy basslines in video games

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, gunfire reborn is another roguelike early access game, this time a borderlands inspired shooter except the guns are really really good and all unique. Recently it got a roadmap update with a new character, a new boss, two new "guns" (actually a bow and a rad as hell sword) and a bunch of little stuff, pretty normal for a early access game. Except there's something abnormal, this update was listed as planned for spring 2021 and they did indeed check it off the roadmap. I have never seen a game release a update that far ahead of schedule, so as long as it's not a result of anything bad and just them having it ready way ahead of schedule im very happy.

Also they add a weapon every moderately sized update and i love so many of them, i already mentioned the tiny Chinese dragon and the lizard you smack on the head to reload, but they added a chameleon, sealing tags, a chonch shell thats the unreal tournament shock rifle, a scorpion crossbow that shoots smaller and smaller bursts that get stronger as they shrink and exploding kunai but none come close to my favorite, a shotgun called hell. This think looks like a cross between a pump action shotgun and a shoggoth, and you reload it by feeding it small fish.

If ya can't tell i really like this game and how its handled early access.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sally posted:

link me! i like proggy basslines in video games

This is it I think. Keep in mind that Hades is one of those games with dynamic music, so in-game this varies in intensity depending on what you’re doing. In this video it just goes from least to most intense.

https://youtu.be/FLK0pr3r3XA

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
AC: Odyssey, armor is armor regardless of your body type. Kassandra doesn't get chainmail bikinis, she looks like a badass with rippin abs and a big rear end mohawk and I am HERE for it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

she looks like a badass with rippin abs and a comically-terrible homemade minotaur head and I am HERE for it

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I definitely appreciate that Kassandra looks like someone who can and will compress your head into a diamond with her bare hands if you piss her off. She’s a mercenary, she’s gotta be ripped.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bussamove posted:

I definitely appreciate that Kassandra looks like someone who can and will compress your head into a diamond with her bare hands if you piss her off. She’s a mercenary, she’s gotta be ripped.

I just think she's neat :kiddo:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kassandra is waifu slash transition goals

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i wish Kassandra was my girlfriend

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I wish Kassandra was my friend and beat up all my bullies then forced them into a life of piracy on the Agean Sea .

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm finishing up AC: Origins and I found a quest where the entire objective is climbing up things and jumping off of them to impress a group of kids. After a bloody rampage through the fall of Hellenic Egypt and the rise of Rome it was nice to have such a simple and wholesome goal.

I also like how Bayek is just really good with kids in general. He's more polite to any of the kids in the game than he is to any other character, it helps make him more memorable to me than most AC protagonists. Except for Evie of the infinite broken limbs from Syndicate, she was the more interesting character and also had the more entertainingly brutal kill animations.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
Speaking of brutal kill animations, my favourite little thing about the Blood and Wine DLC for the Witcher 3 is that the devs really took the opportunity to go overboard on everything. In the base game the magic is already a bit OP, but in blood and wine you get an upgrade to aard (the stagger / knock down sign) which makes it go from "knock people over" to "blow off all four limbs and their head". Which is tremendously unbalanced but great fun.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

bony tony posted:

Kassandra is waifu slash transition goals

:yeah:

Kassandra has become one of my all time favorite game protagonists ever. Everything about her is just...incredible and amazing and awesome. :swoon:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah they managed to make her strong and intimidating as hell, but also still able to show vulnerability and emotion. Sense of humor alongside a violent temper. They did it all without making her into a stereotype "butch" woman too, it's excellent.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Going from that to Rise of the Tomb Raider and seeing Lara, ostensibly someone who climbs mountains and beats down men twice her size, completely lacking any kind of definition at all was weird enough that my gf (huge fan of AC games) commented on it while walking by.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Morpheus posted:

Going from that to Rise of the Tomb Raider and seeing Lara, ostensibly someone who climbs mountains and beats down men twice her size, completely lacking any kind of definition at all was weird enough that my gf (huge fan of AC games) commented on it while walking by.

She’s British

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
british people still need to use their muscles to do things i'm pretty sure

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

flatluigi posted:

you'd be surprised what you can achieve without muscles (or chins)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

This is incorrect, thanks to the advancements of voice recognition technology they can now complain about things of no consequence as they always have without even lifting a finger

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Kass is my favorite character in anything ever and it's annoying that Fenyx can remind me so much of her while not being nearly as cool. The Misthios braid helps though.

The color commentary from Prometheus/Zeus and Hermes' increasingly sarcastic pokes at Fenyx's RPG-hero gullibility are amazing, game good y'all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They used the same voice actors as in Odyssey, so Leonidas is telling a story and Markos doesn't believe him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheKennedys posted:

Kass is my favorite character in anything ever and it's annoying that Fenyx can remind me so much of her while not being nearly as cool. The Misthios braid helps though.

The color commentary from Prometheus/Zeus and Hermes' increasingly sarcastic pokes at Fenyx's RPG-hero gullibility are amazing, game good y'all.

I just finished the main storyline but didn't buy the season pass, but am thinking of springing for it for the new stories. I know they're all new characters and don't follow Fenyx (at least the 2nd and 3rd don't, afaik) but I enjoyed the base story so much.

My favorite line was when Ares was a chicken and he was worried about being stuck as a chicken and says something like

"What would Aprhodite think? A god and a chicken? That has to be illegal"

Then Zeus cuts in

"....definitely not illegal"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Biplane posted:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Biplane posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

They actually gave her a bit more definition in Shadow:

A variety of female body types is one of the reason why I like the Last of Us Part Deux:

Abby is buff as gently caress while Ellie is more wiry:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

They put me in the game, so Kassandra punched me in the head and then let me ride on her boat. You can all be jealous now. :agesilaus:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ariong posted:

This is it I think. Keep in mind that Hades is one of those games with dynamic music, so in-game this varies in intensity depending on what you’re doing. In this video it just goes from least to most intense.

https://youtu.be/FLK0pr3r3XA

this is pretty rad!

love prog-ish stuff in video games. (Tim Follin is to blame... my first prog rock experience was the Solstice theme haha)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm not sure if this is a little thing in a game but it cracked me up

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zoig posted:

So, gunfire reborn is another roguelike early access game, this time a borderlands inspired shooter except the guns are really really good and all unique. Recently it got a roadmap update with a new character, a new boss, two new "guns" (actually a bow and a rad as hell sword) and a bunch of little stuff, pretty normal for a early access game. Except there's something abnormal, this update was listed as planned for spring 2021 and they did indeed check it off the roadmap. I have never seen a game release a update that far ahead of schedule, so as long as it's not a result of anything bad and just them having it ready way ahead of schedule im very happy.

Also they add a weapon every moderately sized update and i love so many of them, i already mentioned the tiny Chinese dragon and the lizard you smack on the head to reload, but they added a chameleon, sealing tags, a chonch shell thats the unreal tournament shock rifle, a scorpion crossbow that shoots smaller and smaller bursts that get stronger as they shrink and exploding kunai but none come close to my favorite, a shotgun called hell. This think looks like a cross between a pump action shotgun and a shoggoth, and you reload it by feeding it small fish.

If ya can't tell i really like this game and how its handled early access.

The hell is my favorite weapon and the game’s hosed up ragdolls just make it better

https://i.imgur.com/X9ZremG.mp4

I really enjoy the game’s weirdly-translated names for things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The shotguns in Gunfire are really fun. I had a run where I had a good Hell (the shotgun in the above post) and an Illusion which is an auto shotgun that fires faster the longer you hold the trigger.

Mix that with the character who has the ability to dual wield and you’ve got a combo that says ‘Please don’t come within 10 meters of me if you still want to exist.’