Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Did they tune up the AI a bit? The game is solid, but I found that it's way too easy to be stable and strong, and wars tended to be a bit of a snooze fest at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing, first CK campaign, but my game seems bugged?

Was emperor of Holy Roman Empire, crusaded against Jerusalem and took it, broke into civil war because my uncle's are fuckwits, decided sure gently caress it lets take over my Aunt in the Kingdom of Jerusalem when it prompted me, right after HRE devolved into civil war.

The bullshit: my son and heir, with Temperate, Calm and Shy, who also had 100 relations with everybody (successful crusader bonuses) and low intrigue, starts murdering everybody (unknown to me), including my husband and his father. I finally catch him after receiving a letter from him and inspecting it with the Noble he literally just murdered. Me and dead guy study letter and figure out it's my son with zero loving traits or disposition to be a murderous rear end in a top hat?? Also I killed him on the spot and got no stress for killing my own child after finding out he murdered my husband, but I've been gaining stress every other week from some nephew who I don't even like getting killed in the civil war 5000 miles away.

What in the Christ lol. Think this campaign is done.

I was pretty convinced the murderer was gonna be my physician who didn't really like me and had a lot of intrigue related traits and was an atheist but nope.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also how do I make money it's 1121 and I feel like I've been perpetually broke.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the AI characters seem to go crazy with murdering and seducing other characters for some reason, and I don't like it; so far as history can tell us the real rulers never acted like that, GoT is not a good mirror of reality.

Not once have I inherited a character who had seduced or romanced their spouse, despite the large rewards for doing so.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the AI characters seem to go crazy with murdering and seducing other characters for some reason, and I don't like it; so far as history can tell us the real rulers never acted like that, GoT is not a good mirror of reality.

Not once have I inherited a character who had seduced or romanced their spouse, despite the large rewards for doing so.

Maybe not with murder but nobles absolutely were loving around constantly and for the most part it wasn't even considered that big a deal unless it resulted in a child.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do you have any readings that suggest that was the case? Nothing I've read has ever suggested that's the case, and there's a lot fewer illegitimate children showing up than I'd expect were that actually the case.

I know the Romans (including the CK era ones) gave no shits about marriages beyond their political nature, but again you don't see a ton of bastard children running about. That doesn't mean it didn't happen of course, it might all have been swept under the rug, but it seems unlikely given how gossipy court was.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
In France they actually had an official court position for the king's favorite mistress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AEtresse-en-titre (note the keyword "favorite", not "only") and while that does only show up at the tail end of the CK timeline, I doubt they only started having affairs in the 1300s once it was made all nice and official. I feel like the lack of bastards may just come down to so long as the king or other noble had legitimate children, their illegitimate issue just weren't really considered worth recording. In cases where we do have records about illegitimate children, it tends to be the case where they became historically significant in some way (Like William the Conqueror). Like to look at the list from the link above, Henry IV had nine official mistresses but only two (recorded) illegitimate children (both of whom were later legitimized). Yet he also had six children by his second wife so it's not like he was infertile.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0zhMCul5Q

When I first used the Ruler Designer I knew something like this was coming.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Game of the Decade

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Holy poo poo I never thought they'd do a strategy game for this :allears:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I did not know about setting your skills to 69 for a nice

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Moon Slayer posted:

Game of the Decade

I didn't see the nice at first :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo that's the hardest I've laughed at Monster Factory in a long time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In France they actually had an official court position for the king's favorite mistress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AEtresse-en-titre (note the keyword "favorite", not "only") and while that does only show up at the tail end of the CK timeline, I doubt they only started having affairs in the 1300s once it was made all nice and official. I feel like the lack of bastards may just come down to so long as the king or other noble had legitimate children, their illegitimate issue just weren't really considered worth recording. In cases where we do have records about illegitimate children, it tends to be the case where they became historically significant in some way (Like William the Conqueror). Like to look at the list from the link above, Henry IV had nine official mistresses but only two (recorded) illegitimate children (both of whom were later legitimized). Yet he also had six children by his second wife so it's not like he was infertile.

Well poo poo, the more you know.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't think they noticed the best thing:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I've had this happen once

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Women had more access to birth control than we commonly think. It was a well known puzzle to physcians and churchmen that whores had far fewer children than one would expect.

Modern researchers assume they were using some kind of herbal abortifacient, but these women were not the one's leaving written records, so it's hard to say which.

Cuckoldry has been proven to have been extremely rare by genetic testing. If women were playing the field they were making sure that only the husband fathered the kids.

Cersei's behavior was extremely ahistorical. No queen would take that risk in real life especially with such an obvious tell as blonde hair vs. black in play.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there was also a different look into reality versus theory. The church theoretically was against birth control by rule but in practice priests would advice it depending. Whether it worked is another question

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
In the 1780s, abortion was available in the US during the first trimester, before the fetuses heart started beating.

http://americancreation.blogspot.com/2012/04/founding-fathers-and-abortion-in.html?m=1

Europeans in the 1000s probably thought the same thing about when life begins.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Instead of smoking some weird rear end herb I'm sure people also knew to, you know, just pull out. It might be relatively ineffective vs. modern birth control but it isn't completely ineffective. 96% success rate ain't too shabby.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They can do both. Birth control remedies are as old as civilization itself

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing, first CK campaign, but my game seems bugged?

Was emperor of Holy Roman Empire, crusaded against Jerusalem and took it, broke into civil war because my uncle's are fuckwits, decided sure gently caress it lets take over my Aunt in the Kingdom of Jerusalem when it prompted me, right after HRE devolved into civil war.

The bullshit: my son and heir, with Temperate, Calm and Shy, who also had 100 relations with everybody (successful crusader bonuses) and low intrigue, starts murdering everybody (unknown to me), including my husband and his father. I finally catch him after receiving a letter from him and inspecting it with the Noble he literally just murdered. Me and dead guy study letter and figure out it's my son with zero loving traits or disposition to be a murderous rear end in a top hat?? Also I killed him on the spot and got no stress for killing my own child after finding out he murdered my husband, but I've been gaining stress every other week from some nephew who I don't even like getting killed in the civil war 5000 miles away.

What in the Christ lol. Think this campaign is done.

I was pretty convinced the murderer was gonna be my physician who didn't really like me and had a lot of intrigue related traits and was an atheist but nope.

I don't think those are "normal" murders you're describing, it sounds like an event chain which has a high chance of one of your heirs ending up as the culprit of a string of murders. I'm guessing they just didn't put sanity checks on this to see whether or not the person would be likely to go on a murder spree.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'd love more events for being a lunatic or possessed. I feel like when I take those two traits on my create-a-king characters they never really show up in play which is too bad. Love to play a batfuck crazy raider king and see what wacky hijinks he could get up to.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think those are "normal" murders you're describing, it sounds like an event chain which has a high chance of one of your heirs ending up as the culprit of a string of murders. I'm guessing they just didn't put sanity checks on this to see whether or not the person would be likely to go on a murder spree.

It was definitely a long series of events and investigating. The dead guy cracking the case is probably the most :psyduck: part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's always the calm and shy ones you have to look out for.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

I had that one with my first ruler of my first Ck3 game

Fucker killed all my male heirs, one by one.

But it was ok cause it made my heir my grandaughter who happened to have a claim on the kingdom of France

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Quick question: did they fix the utter devastation that was going feudal from tribal?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I believe you don't lose all your buildings now, but get random feudal replacements instead.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I believe you don't lose all your buildings now, but get random feudal replacements instead.

Yep, every tribal building is counted up, and then you get random feudal buildings up to the same tier count. So if you had 8 tribal buildings, you'll get up to 8 tiers worth of feudal buildings.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

They also did this

quote:

– When Feudalizing, there’s now a random chance for a City and/or a Temple to spawn in each tribal County. Higher development increases this chance.

I haven't tested this yet since it was implemented, but hopefully it's a high enough chance to jump start that. I still think it should probably be automatic to help out the AI.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't tested this yet since it was implemented, but hopefully it's a high enough chance to jump start that. I still think it should probably be automatic to help out the AI.

It's a base 60% chance for a city and 50% chance for a temple, with +20% chance being added on for farmland/floodplains/oasis. Then the development is a straight add to that, so a 5 development farmland has an 85% chance to get a city and a 75% chance to get a temple. Capitals are guaranteed to get both if there are enough holding slots. Owned holy sites get an automatic temple as well.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

It's a base 60% chance for a city and 50% chance for a temple, with +20% chance being added on for farmland/floodplains/oasis. Then the development is a straight add to that, so a 5 development farmland has an 85% chance to get a city and a 75% chance to get a temple. Capitals are guaranteed to get both if there are enough holding slots. Owned holy sites get an automatic temple as well.

For each holding slot, or per county? Seems pretty decent either way. The AI is seemingly very hesitant to outright build new holdings so I feel like they need the boost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

For each holding slot, or per county? Seems pretty decent either way. The AI is seemingly very hesitant to outright build new holdings so I feel like they need the boost.

One time check per county.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

One time check per county.

Then the terrain check is for the county capital, I presume? I should probably just see if I can locate the code for it myself. Might be fun to play with it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

In the 1780s, abortion was available in the US during the first trimester, before the fetuses heart started beating.

http://americancreation.blogspot.com/2012/04/founding-fathers-and-abortion-in.html?m=1

Europeans in the 1000s probably thought the same thing about when life begins.

Yes, abortion was traditionally only a sin after the quickening. When the mother could feel the baby moving. So, around 18-20 weeks.

Anyways, started a new game as the independent Armenian Duke on the Black Sea between the Byzantine's and the Abbassids in the 867 start.

Did the sensible thing and swore to Constantinople and started attacking smaller neighbors. Like two years in the Abbasids caved to an independence demand and among the states let go was the Kingdom of Armenia which is ruled by an uncle of my dynasty. Kind of annoying.

Well, I gobbled up enough of Georgia to crown myself king. I just had to save up enough money. Once I did, I managed to found Georgia, so things were going well.

Then things were going great. The Emperor pressed my claim for the heart of Armenia and easily won. I then usurped that Kingdom and the two were split between my two oldest sons when I died, but that's okay. More renown for me.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Why do my family members seem to end up in other courts? My newborn sons that are also heirs keep ending up in other counties. Heck my wife is in the HRE for some reason.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Then the terrain check is for the county capital, I presume? I should probably just see if I can locate the code for it myself. Might be fun to play with it.

I'm so used to CK2 that I didn't think about the different terrains per holding, so yeah it'll be whatever the terrain in the empty holding slot is. The relevant file is common/scripted_effects/00_decisions_effects.txt and look for the convert_whole_realm_to_feudalism_effect stanza.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Why do my family members seem to end up in other courts? My newborn sons that are also heirs keep ending up in other counties. Heck my wife is in the HRE for some reason.

Is your wife a landed ruler in her own right?

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Is there any recommended mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Did they change the whole "holding faith changes when you convert a holder to your own faith" thing? Just captured Brittany as Norse and when I put a Catholic Breton in charge of a Catholic Breton barony then converted him to Asatru, the county faith did not change.