Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Glare Seethe posted:

Went on to beat the campaign, re-enabled cloud saves, instantly lost all progress because Steam didn't ask me which save files to use and didn't default to the most recent ones for some reason.
gfd I am so fed up with steam cloud saves. Sorry to hear this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Skull upgrades in Skul should be free. Would solve most of the game's issues.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mymla posted:

Skull upgrades in Skul should be free. Would solve most of the game's issues.

I get what the developers were going for with there being a risk/reward for either picking to upgrade skulls or get money/chase items but man the price to upgrade skulls is just way to high.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I wish I knew how to compile poo poo like Dnethack, since it seems really neat but apparently the Windows binaries are 500 years out of date.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Picked up Skul myself after all the chat in the thread and I do gotta say I really enjoy it. Similar gripes to what's been posted before but overall a drat fine game.

Best skull is Rockstar and today I finally managed to evolve it and get my first legendary skull. Super Rock Star is so drat good. :rock:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Honestly, they give you the best skull in the game for free. Look for Mage's Necklace before Act 4 and you're basically set for a free run. My Skeleton King run (beat First Hero with Skul only, no swapping) was by far the easiest win yet. I didn't even use Warlock at all to get through, it was just there to get the double balance bonus on Mana Bone. When you're only looking at item and gold rooms, you guarantee yourself enough rolls to get a good mix of damage and utility items -- it always feels like you're ahead of the difficulty curve.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
A lot of Skulls are also very powerful when upgraded. I've changed my priority to getting Skulls over anything except items later in the run when better items start dropping more often with already having an upgraded skull under my belt and have been doing consistently better. Some of the strongest skulls in the game are legendary Pike, Sword, Ent, and Werewolf- all Skulls you commonly START a run with- and the only skulls I'm 100% sold are better then Legendary Pike in particular are Reaper and Gambler because those two are just complete busto.

That said, yeah, Skul is a VERY swingy game because you just don't get enough opportunities to get reliable power boosts. Upgrading basic skulls is the big reliable one but when focusing on items even if you go all in it seems very variable if you ever get there, especially when it comes to trying to stack passives to the moon.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Got my first win today (on Rookie Mode) with Dark Avenger/ Reaper. Won by the skin of my teeth (2 hp!) thanks to Dark Avenger's HP shield passive. Was pretty ridiculously tanky which is the only reason I really survived to do enough DPS. Pretty fun game, gonna be trying to beat the game with some physical skulls, just as Skul and also not on Rookie Mode. Somehow not surprised that being able to chain spam your head toss for massive damage is a thing.

I think my main gripes with the game as it is now are definitely the initial trickle of Dark Quartz is way, way too low. You only get appreciable amounts to level up the lowest tiers of metaprog after figuring out how to kill the first boss reliably, with the second boss being a hard stop till you get some practice in vs them as well as lucking in to a strong skull/item build going in. Maxing out the first tier of meta prog + HP makes the early game so so much smoother, though it could also be a combination of learning enemy and boss patterns. Once you start getting the really expensive upgrades is when it feels like you can make some fun builds.

On a side note, I keep forgetting what Magnifco Priest does and rerolling skills I want on skulls though. :negative:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I think the difference between Skul's metaprogression and a lot of others is that the metaprog feels like it leads to what base Skul is supposed to be. Like, even in games with raw stat based metaprogression like Rogue Legacy and Immortal Redneck feel like you're intended to have get your first clear somewhere while you're still building up and your 'final' character is an empowered demigod for higher challenge runs, but Skul feels like the character you're intended to get your first win with has maxed the entire first two tiers and have at least unlocked the first rank of the last tier of skills to get such trivial things as converting unwanted items for gold because your starting stats feel too weak for even an experienced player to make headway past the first couple levels barring some lucky skulls and items.

A lot of items and cooldowns feel like they were balanced for where Skul ends up, not where he starts, and that's a shame because it makes the metaprog feel like a time tax before you get to really play the game in a way it doesn't for other similar games where it feels like the progression is supposed to go hand-in-hand with you getting better as a kind of 'release valve' for people of varying skill levels still being able to progress without feeling like they're not accomplishing anything. When people complain that metaprogression is a crutch roguelikes lean on to artificially inflate the playclock, Skul's is exactly what they're talking about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After beating Skul a few more times yeah I agree entirely that the metaprog is kinda bad in that the game feels balanced around having the stuff unlocked. Having the attack and other miscellaneous ones maxed is like playing a completely different game.

Also what merchant is supposed to show up here? Never had anyone show up.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
First Skul patch of substantial heft bodes well: Fixes to all sorts of Everythings with insights into their thinking and priorities

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1147560/view/3051720518972603118

Roadmap seems stealthily updated as well, though still Rough:

First half of 2021

Add Grave Robber NPC
Reform Quintessence
Reform Cooking System
PS4/Switch/XBOX

Second half of 2021

Add New game Mode
Reform Trait System

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder what the new game mode will be.

Oh, by the way, the new DLC for Dead Cells is out. It's nice, as always, 2 new levels, 1 new boss, 7 new weapons, and a handful of new enemies for 5€.

In fact, talking of possible new game modes in roguelites like this, I was thinking yesterday how Dead Cells already have enough content to make an alternative game mode with a traditional structure, forgoing the rogueliteness. They could make a kick rear end action-platform game, they just need to put a linear path with the 29 levels they have already, and adjust the character and enemy scaling.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'd like to see a mode that mimics those NES-era Running Ninja Fights Everything games (like Demon Sword or Legend of Kage), in which you swiftly progress in one direction and can parry/attack while still moving. Wanna anime samurai dash through everything and try to beat the game in Extremely Violent Speedrun Mode. Put all the shops and stuff between levels, with some free scrolls and a freebie purchase or two so the player can smoothly follow the power curve, and we're golden.

It definitely won't happen as it would require new animations for every single weapon and shield (unless the devs were willing to let the Beheaded simply slide comically along while animations resolve), but that doesn't stop me from wanting it :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 27, 2021

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

but what else could someone with a tin of ogre king meat wish for?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

resistentialism posted:

a second tin

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Enrobe thyselves in more Lites not unlike melted cheese in so much hopeful majestic Finery~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173200/Metal_Unit/

quote:

Key Features:

Action-Packed Battle System – You can dash to evade enemies or go on the offensive and chain multiple weapon attacks together to perform devastating combos. The wide of range of melee and ranged weapons at your disposal also give you the ultimate flexibility to take out enemies any way you see fit
Huge & Diverse Environments – You can choose to explore the sprawling surface of the planet or delve deep inside mysterious dungeons. Traveling around the world will progress the story, while going underground offers bigger rewards that may come at a heavy price...

Roguelite Elements – Upon death the game will convert all equipped items into permanent research points. The points can then be used to unlock new items and skills. You will constantly receive weapons of varying utility and will need to adapt your strategy to match your current equipment.

For All Players - The Assist Mode will allow you to customize your Metal Unit experience to suit your tastes, while players seeking thrilling difficulty will be able to tackle the Challenge Mode, stacking odds against them as they attempt to reap exciting new rewards.

Seems a novel meta-system on Research at the least compared to the more overt currency approaches, and would presumably allow for some snowballing escalation on attempts that go fairly well.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Metal Unit was in a humble bundle but I never bothered to use the key. I guess I'll give it a shot.

edit
it's uhhhhh I don't think I'm going to stick with this one

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 29, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

resistentialism posted:

A can opener? :v:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Gordian Quest begins their big push this year with Realm Mode, which is largely and essentially them throwing down against Slay the Spire in interwoven parallel to their own distinctive campaign doings---with a host of other assorted gains:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/981430/view/3037083185841170043

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Gordian Quest begins their big push this year with Realm Mode, which is largely and essentially them throwing down against Slay the Spire in interwoven parallel to their own distinctive campaign doings---with a host of other assorted gains:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/981430/view/3037083185841170043

Deck of ashes did the same thing, too. They all end up trying to copy StS, don't they?

It works out, I quite like it in DoA. I probably won't put 400h on it or gordian's like I did with spite but it will make me play them again.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Does Hades have decent replayability after beating it (like comparing to Dead Cells)?

\/ Awesome, thank you.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 29, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Does Hades have decent replayability after beating it (like comparing to Dead Cells)?

You're not going to play it forever but a single win isn't even close to the end of the road. Some of the Heat settings just make the game harder gradually but e.g. Extreme Measures + the one that makes enemy animations faster is practically a whole new game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There's also a poo poo-ton of completionist stuff to check off, if that's your thing. The game tracks drat near everything via the unlockable prophecy desk thingy, and hands out little rewards for each checklist you complete (win with each weapon, get every boon, get every weapon upgrade, etc.).

Plus, a ton of really good dialogue interactions are scattered in the various side quests and relationship scenes and whatnot. The writing in this game is really good!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put probably 100 hours into hades after my first win, if you like the gameplay then there are a lot of builds to try and boxes to check off

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Sweet, based on what I'm hearing about how good the gameplay is, sounds like I'll be sucked in.

Thanks!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Has anyone here played Curse of the Dead Gods?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123770/Curse_of_the_Dead_Gods/

Looks like it is about to leave early access on Feb 23rd. I've had my eye on it for awhile as it looks like the gameplay and combat has a really good slick and powerful feel to it, but I'm not totally sure since I've actually never played it. Furthermore, while the combat looks great, I'm not quite sure of the long-term appeal of it, story and progression and all that jazz (I feel like Hades might've spoiled me haha). Anyway, not sure if they are planning on raising the price or anything when it goes v1.0, but nevertheless I wouldn't mind dipping into it beforehand if there are some good impressions from people.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think you will be able to decide if you like it or not in 2 hours.

i havent played it again since they added the 3rd temple i should do that.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm starting to feel like games like Slay the Spire and Monster Train and Hades are their own genre or sub-genre. I've played all 3 within the last few months and and today when playing Monster Hunter it struck me just how similar all those games really feel to play, how the underlying mechanic really makes itself known through the surface details of deckbuilder or ARPG or whatever else. They've got a very specific style different from other roguelikes/roguelites. The style is separate encounter nodes set on a one-way map with branching paths. You go to a node on the map, resolve whatever it is, get whatever reward you get, then move on to the next node until you either die or complete the path. Thinking back Void Bastards is the same. Even FTL is basically the same even though it's not strictly one-way, it emulates that behavior through the fleet chasing you.

Games like traditional roguelikes or more modern ones like Spelunky or Dead Cells or risk of rain feel very different with either fully open worlds (traditional roguelikes) or large(ish) levels that aren't singular encounters.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice

this game is pretty cool. a dice-building roguelite. free (pay what you want)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kchama posted:

I wish I knew how to compile poo poo like Dnethack, since it seems really neat but apparently the Windows binaries are 500 years out of date.

dNethack looks charmingly insane and if you can't get it to build locally you can always play it online.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

dNethack looks charmingly insane and if you can't get it to build locally you can always play it online.

Yeah I'm having to resort to that, even though I'd prefer to play locally. Trying out the new stuff is always really neat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If anyone wants to party like it's 1995, Ultimate ADOM enters Steam EA on either the 11th or the 18th. It is very bare bones at this point and extremely buggy, but if you ever wondered what playing in the 0.9.0 days was like, this is your chance.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Update this morning did a decent bit, and in theory it should* launch in EA proper with yet another hefty one---But The Dream Endures~

It should see quite a bit of content throughout the process given the hints thus far, which is nice.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
What a wild ride

temple fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 31, 2021

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

watching Noted ADOM Legend Grond play uadom is all i need to see of it right now. everything's broken, nothing works, game balance is non-existent and so on. it definitely needs a shitload more work. he's got like thousands of hours in adom loving around finding bugs and even he doesn't enjoy uadom in its current state

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Almost got my second win in Synthetik, this time with Engineer, but I got too greedy with alert levels and stuff in the Missile Bay and overwhelmed myself. Now that I look back there was zero reason to do so, because I had a pretty unstoppable kit and didn't really need or have room for more items or credits and didn't need to turn up the heat -- that game has a way of making me get too hyped up and make stupid decisions, though. I want to really give a shout-out to how well it handles class differentiation, considering it's a game where 99% of your interaction with the world is clicking to shoot your gun -- I guess with so much attention paid to the minutiae of gun-shooting, there are a lot of variables to tweak, but it's impressive how new the game feels when playing a class I'm not familiar with.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone played Gods Will Fall? Curious how it is- the basics seem like a solid recipe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

tildes posted:

Has anyone played Gods Will Fall? Curious how it is- the basics seem like a solid recipe.

This mini review kind of unsold me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0RMzHUnoYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

watching Noted ADOM Legend Grond play uadom is all i need to see of it right now. everything's broken, nothing works, game balance is non-existent and so on. it definitely needs a shitload more work. he's got like thousands of hours in adom loving around finding bugs and even he doesn't enjoy uadom in its current state

Have you got a link to this? I found a Grond on Youtube but no videos of uadom.